The men behind Man city: If you thought Qatar was a problem, wait till you get a load of Abu Dhabi

SER19

Oh dear - if you can't see that this so-called PR exercise doesn't go higher up than MCFC then you're blinkered beyond belief. Is the UK government not high enough up for you? That's some pedestal you're putting likkle City on there.

And let's face it sunshine - if City were nowhere near the top of the league, you wouldn't even be commenting about this would you? Back in your box and keep sucking on those lemons - have a good Christmas mate.
Of course it goes higher than city! I agree with you. But to be posting up some stuff from the queen and talking about uk relations with Abu Dhabi, it's pretty epic stuff. City fans have become the masters of distraction or false reasoning and rationalising. Will never just speak about themselves on a standalone basis.

Nice to see you off for your break with a sophisticated and dignified post. Enjoy xmas I hope you're on the sheiks nice list and he brings you something good

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Of course it goes higher than city! I agree with you. But to be posting up some stuff from the queen and talking about uk relations with Abu Dhabi, it's pretty epic stuff. City fans have become the masters of distraction or false reasoning and rationalising. Will never just speak about themselves on a standalone basis.

Nice to see you off for your break with a sophisticated and dignified post. Enjoy xmas I hope you're on the sheiks nice list and he brings you something good
Plenty of us have already tackled it directly earlier in the thread mate so no, there's no distraction. It's a worthy discussion topic but it seems some posters are more arsed about using it as a stick to beat City fans up rather than the actual topic in hand. And 99% of the forum simply isn't interested full stop which kind of squares with what the United fan said about us all being guilty of not giving a shit about this kind of thing - for example, the De Bruyne thread is getting more attention than this one and I think even you will be back to complaining about Guardiola wanting an extra defender in January before long ;)

Thanks for the compliment by the way - the break was more short-lived than expected but I was actually being serious about needing to spend less time on here for now.

TheTunnel68

The fact that the banana waving berties, believe any article regarding their massive club as 'click bait' is laughable.

SER19

Plenty of us have already tackled it directly earlier in the thread mate so no, there's no distraction. It's a worthy discussion topic but it seems some posters are more arsed about using it as a stick to beat City fans up rather than the actual topic in hand. And 99% of the forum simply isn't interested full stop which kind of squares with what the United fan said about us all being guilty of not giving a shit about this kind of thing - for example, the De Bruyne thread is getting more attention than this one and I think even you will be back to complaining about Guardiola wanting an extra defender in January before long ;)

Thanks for the compliment by the way - the break was more short-lived than expected but I was actually being serious about needing to spend less time on here for now.
I've said before, my fury filled days of following football are over. I can speak plainly and honestly about things regarding united and will happily criticise where I feel the club falls short. It's only right that I do the same about other clubs, I don't buy into the neo liberal rubbish of sanitising everything. The fact that I think Man City are an absolute travesty of a club and are damaging the game (while playing fantastic football with players I enjoy watching) has nothing to do with being a United fan. Too many football fans can't separate the two and all I see from city fans is running to cover everything rotten about their club or at best stopping short of just admitting it. The likes of mansour are a cancer to the game (and the world if you want a moral conversation).

The truth seems to really rile city fans, and not even on this more dramatic issue, there is staggering denial.

Law's Law

Supports
Manchester City
How can people from a different economic, social, and political context judge people they have never encountered?

I have already stated my opinions earlier in the thread, but some other topics in the article I have not addressed iclude the jailing of fecking Islamists and the only war the country has ever led in it’s history. I am not a war advocate, albeit many deemed it necessary, but f*** me that is rich.

I believe the people living in those countries are more entitled to judge their leaders, and I for one would never swap them for anyone. You can have your baseless opinion and call them terrible as you like, but stop shoving it down everyone’s throat as a fact.

Someone will now come and call me a regime puppet and human rights abuser, because they know better.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I've said before, my fury filled days of following football are over. I can speak plainly and honestly about things regarding united and will happily criticise where I feel the club falls short. It's only right that I do the same about other clubs, I don't buy into the neo liberal rubbish of sanitising everything. The fact that I think Man City are an absolute travesty of a club and are damaging the game (while playing fantastic football with players I enjoy watching) has nothing to do with being a United fan. Too many football fans can't separate the two and all I see from city fans is running to cover everything rotten about their club or at best stopping short of just admitting it. The likes of mansour are a cancer to the game (and the world if you want a moral conversation).

The truth seems to really rile city fans, and not even on this more dramatic issue, there is staggering denial.
Now now - if you call having almost 2300 posts on a rival forum "running for cover" then you need to have a word with yourself:nono: In fact, instead of lobbing barbs over t'internet, I'll be happy to discuss this and anything else with you fact-to-face over a pint if you want (feel free to PM me about that rather than constantly clogging up this thread). I've been around here long enough to be able to stick my head above the parapet and comment on all manner of subjects. This particular thread is actually tame compared to the Brexit thread last year which really was filled with hate-filled vitriol.

SER19

Now now - if you call having almost 2300 posts on a rival forum "running for cover" then you need to have a word with yourself:nono: In fact, instead of lobbing barbs over t'internet, I'll be happy to discuss this and anything else with you fact-to-face over a pint if you want (feel free to PM me about that rather than constantly clogging up this thread). I've been around here long enough to be able to stick my head above the parapet and comment on all manner of subjects. This particular thread is actually tame compared to the Brexit thread last year which really was filled with hate-filled vitriol.
By running for cover I mean not facing the issues regarding city head on. There's always a side show brought in or some abstract comparison. E.g. Any time their spending is mentioned.

I'm not lobbing barbs either, once in retaliation to your little hissy fit, and to say somebody is clogging up the thread you have comfortably the most posts in in just silly. My last post was reasoned and fair and might have encouraged you to do the same but again you resorted to what seems like irrelevant nonsense

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
By running for cover I mean not facing the issues regarding city head on. There's always a side show brought in or some abstract comparison. E.g. Any time their spending is mentioned.

I'm not lobbing barbs either, once in retaliation to your little hissy fit, and to say somebody is clogging up the thread you have comfortably the most posts in in just silly. My last post was reasoned and fair and might have encouraged you to do the same but again you resorted to what seems like irrelevant nonsense
Crikey, I offered to buy you a pint and you turned me down. I'm most offended:(

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
This is the exact type of stuff I alluded to in my reply to you. The denial is staggering
I didn’t deny shit. I’m aware of United’s sponsorships’ ties. Still not the same level as being bankrolled by a dodgy state. Just admit it and move onto the next point.

SER19

I didn’t deny shit. I’m aware of United’s sponsorships’ ties. Still not the same level as being bankrolled by a dodgy state. Just admit it and move onto the next point.
Eh unless I'm completely misinterpreting things I think we're on the same page?
Edit : I was using your example as the same way I feel about city fans attitude to their dodgy owners

Fluctuation0161

Yes the West destabilized it so badly it's the wealthiest region in the world. The Middle East has ALWAYS been destabilized because of religious tensions. Different factions in Islam have constantly fought for power through war in the area (let alone what they do to anyone else of a different religion).
That seems a rather simplistic view you have. The crusades began in 1095AD so I’d say Western involvement has had a destabilising influence for a very long time!

Middle Eastern wealth comes from the oil resources and is there in spite of our destabilisation, not because of it. The wealth is also in the hands of dodgy regimes which have historically been supported by us in the West too.

This doesn’t justify any of the human rights abuses over there, but incorrect assertions like you made in your post wont help to resolve the issue.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Eh unless I'm completely misinterpreting things I think we're on the same page?
Edit : I was using your example as the same way I feel about city fans attitude to their dodgy owners
Whoops. I mistook you for being one of the City fans. :nervous: Traveling for 20 hours got to me. Forgive me, mate.

SER19

Whoops. I mistook you for being one of the City fans. :nervous: Traveling for 20 hours got to me. Forgive me, mate.
No worries, though if the caf is giving a 'least likely to be a city fan' award, I want to be among the discussion

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
I am pretty confident that we must have had dodgy club owners before as well in the premier league.
But NOBODY cared to highlight their wrongdoing because their team was not so successful.

Flytan

That seems a rather simplistic view you have. The crusades began in 1095AD so I’d say Western involvement has had a destabilising influence for a very long time!

Middle Eastern wealth comes from the oil resources and is there in spite of our destabilisation, not because of it. The wealth is also in the hands of dodgy regimes which have historically been supported by us in the West too.

This doesn’t justify any of the human rights abuses over there, but incorrect assertions like you made in your post wont help to resolve the issue.
Ah yes, the Crusades argument. Just ignore the centuries earlier where Islam attacked Europe.

Fridge chutney

Locally they've lost them in droves. United have lost a load too of course post Glazer. It's an inevitable result of that disconnect, part of which is relevant to this thread, between the club and it's traditional fanbase. Half my extended family are blues, and several mates that go back decades and only one still goes to the game.
Interesting , I didn't know that. I suppose that's the natural result.

When the Glazers took over at Manchester United, some supporters were so disgusted that they started FC United. Someone in this thread tried arguing that FC United was not linked to MUFC but I fundamentally disagree because the club was created as a direct result of something that happened at MUFC. With that said, I'm not sure anything similar has happened at City, except, as you say, supporter defection which is a great shame in the grand scheme of things.

Fridge chutney

Now now - if you call having almost 2300 posts on a rival forum "running for cover" then you need to have a word with yourself:nono:
:lol: good point to be fair.

This forum has been very nice and complimentary towards City of late (this thread aside) but it takes a thick skin to stomach being on a United forum as a City fan. That applies to the resident scousers on here too. Don't know how you do it.

Varun

Staff
I am pretty confident that we must have had dodgy club owners before as well in the premier league.
But NOBODY cared to highlight their wrongdoing because their team was not so successful.
You're confident we must have had?

Darkhorsez

Why do we have multiple City related threads? Can we not concentrate all City related topics in the one thread as we have for each club? The benefit of this that it allows folks especially oppo supporters to have a discussion or banter etc in one place. I think it makes for cleaner looking forum. Mods have the ability lock threads or move conversations?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

Of course there was lots of fighting between Islamic armies and European ones for centuries before the crusades. So not really accurate to use them as the starting point.

Tarrou

Typical western fear mongering article. Having lived on both sides I've seen the other perspective as well: "britians criminal politician" articles that make it seem like there's so tyrant fecking over the locals.

"Evil middle east" just sells better and it's easy to accuse these guys without any proof because since they aren't fully democratic they must be bad. Most locals of UAE are quite supportive of their government.

That said tho, feck saudi. Those rulers deserve some serious punishments.
not surprising in an autocratic country with state-controlled media

Fluctuation0161

Well said mate. I came to exactly the same conclusion.

Fluctuation0161

Of course there was lots of fighting between Islamic armies and European ones for centuries before the crusades. So not really accurate to use them as the starting point.
True. I’d describe it more as an example than a starting point.

Ah yes, the Crusades argument. Just ignore the centuries earlier where Islam attacked Europe.
I think this is a discussion for another thread. Although I suspect it would just descend into you quoting Daily Mail articles at me so I might give it a miss and stay on topic.

Law's Law

Supports
Manchester City
not surprising in an autocratic country with state-controlled media
I am UK educated and have an internet connection. I am still very supportive having experienced it first hand.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Oh stop with being a victim. Some of the reactions of the City fans have been "leave our poor sheikh alone" has been pretty embarrassing.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Yeah and if they win, they'll have the premier league trophy. But yeah, you and the others can comfort yourselves with that "moral high ground" trophy :lol:
Man City’s titles have all been bought by dirty money in my opinion. They can have as many titles as they want, it means nothing to a lot of people. There is a reason United fans are not that arsed about City winning the league compared to when Liverpool put up genuine title challenges.

lsd

The Oracle
Man City’s titles have all been bought by dirty money in my opinion. They can have as many titles as they want, it means nothing to a lot of people. There is a reason United fans are not that arsed about City winning the league compared to when Liverpool put up genuine title challenges.

Clearly given the countless threads and posts on city here lately..ffs can we stop being obsessed with them even for a little while

crazylegz

exactly, none of city's title wins have truly been earned, city fans can bang on about how much we spend but fergie didn't magically get everything laid on a plate for him, he worked his ass off to get united back at the top of english football and turn the club into a leading sports team brand globally over decades and not overnight, city can go on an unbeaten run of 100 epl games for all i care and i would still hold arsenal's unbeaten run in a higher regard as wenger didn't get the chance to splash over 100 million on just recruiting fullbacks with the money of oil rich sugar daddy, same goes for chelsea's accomplishments over the past 15 odd years, it's all hollow victories imo, I may dislike seeing liverpool win anything but I have respect for their club's traditions.

Reactions: SteveJ

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
exactly, none of city's title wins have truly been earned, city fans can bang on about how much we spend but fergie didn't magically get everything laid on a plate for him, he worked his ass off to get united back at the top of english football and turn the club into a leading sports team brand globally over decades and not overnight, city can go on an unbeaten run of 100 epl games for all i care and i would still hold arsenal's unbeaten run in a higher regard as wenger didn't get the chance to splash over 100 million on just recruiting fullbacks with the money of oil rich sugar daddy, same goes for chelsea's accomplishments over the past 15 odd years, it's all hollow victories imo, I may dislike seeing liverpool win anything but I have respect for their club's traditions.

As much as I detest Liverpool, I respect them and what they have achieved. At least they are a proper club unlike City.

crazylegz

Clearly given the countless threads and posts on city here lately..ffs can we stop being obsessed with them even for a little while
I would say it's the other way round really though, despite man city's current situation, instead of enjoying their run of hollow victories, it's team/management staff and fans are still more obsessed with taunting man united like they have chip on their shoulder

Reactions: SteveJ

TheReligion

Abusive

Good post

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
It's a tough question. Do we stop using Apple products and Ralph Lauren clothes because of how offshore workers are treated? Are we really going to stop watching the Qatar World Cup although hundreds of my own countrymen died building stadiums?