The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

forevrared

Talk about anti-climactic. Pretty odd signing given that he's a DP. That's the kind of player the league should be looking to attract on regular contracts.

brad-dyrak

...Really, my biggest beef with MLS is not with the league itself but rather the way that USSF runs the international team as a cash cow for the MLS owners that run it, and the direct harm this has done to USMNT over the last decade or so.
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'd be interested to know. I've heard all sorts of complaints about the USSF, but I don't usually follow up enough to form an opinion. I'm back in the MLS fold now, so I'd be interested to know what you mean.

forevrared

I think there's always some pressure on the national team coach to pick a certain amount of MLS players for national team camps over players from Europe. It could be to give legitimacy to the league and also try to strong-arm college and high school players into staying in MLS rather than seeking more money and better situations overseas. The whole selective 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude that USSF carries is kind of petty.

Excal

Also, Bradley is still the coach, despite being demonstrably bad at his job, because Gulati won't give it to a decent coach, because any decent coach would demand the power to pick his own squad.

davisjw

I think there's always some pressure on the national team coach to pick a certain amount of MLS players for national team camps over players from Europe. It could be to give legitimacy to the league and also try to strong-arm college and high school players into staying in MLS rather than seeking more money and better situations overseas. The whole selective 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude that USSF carries is kind of petty.
I'd agree with this setiment. The brunt of the issue comes down to Bradley as a coach and his poor squad choice. There is no evidence what-so-ever that Sunil picks the squad and not Bradley. The problem with a foreign coach like everyone's favorite German manager, is they request a complete shake up of the youth system to better focus on technical skillsets, brought on by a European way of things. Sunil is not going to give that away.

But Bradley I'm sure is "strongly encouraged" to bring MLS players and it's how it should be. The youth in MLS is strong and exciting for the first time in awhile. The likes of Shea, Kitchen, Agudelo, Gil, Ream, and the works are all quality players that could do with exposure to guys playing in better leagues. I don't see the odd 2-3 MLS players in the camp as a determent to the internal team. If anything, it should help by bleeding players in earlier than US usually does.

Nothing excuses Bradley from bringing his bastard son Bornstein everywhere he goes.

brad-dyrak

Thanks for the opinions Re. the USMNT/MLS.

In other news, Portland finally (barely) gets their first away win! Woot woot!

davisjw

Absolutely dreadful. The problem is, the writer admits his own problems in the second paragraph: I don't like it and I don't get it.

It's like me reviewing a new album from the Spice Girls - it makes absolutely no sense. So then as a writer, you just look stupid for your comments.

The stupidest point is the one where he says "moments are a rarity like Wambach's goal against Brazil" - how many "moments" do the other sports have that are iconic? It's rubbish and lazy.

----

Reading the comments, one did stand out. "It's funny that the US and Japan were the two countries fighting for the World Cup when both countries don't care."

Those two being there had nothing to do with whether the countries support the game, but everything to do with how those countries view women. Both countries have their own leagues and both full fund the national team.

Whereas a country like Brazil doesn't recognize the women's team and they recieve no funding from their Federation.

Just something that gets massively overlooked on the women's level.

brad-dyrak

Looking forward to WBA?

I'll be in Seattle :)
Yeah I'll be there if I can get the time off. I never cared for them when I lived near them, so I wouldn't mind a win. Another bummer of being a pretty sucky team that's going to struggle getting into the playoffs is that we can't afford to field our A squad for these exhibitions, but live footy is live footy.

Last game I got to revisit with our little Nimo who was here visiting with the Liberians and Mexicans we used to play with! Swell guy. I wish we could have kept the lad. He's bumping around in California for some reason.

What the F are you doing up in enemy territory anyway?

brad-dyrak

I am used to the American Neanderthal sports writers doing articles like this.
Exactly. I've read that article 50 times already. One of you on here described it nicely some time back saying the experience of being a soccer fan here as "bewlidering". There's a bizarre ingrained resentment from some in the sports media that I've never really gotten a finger on. I've a hunch it's from some sort of impotent machismo, xenophobia, and fawning adoration hero worship for their stars. Failed wannabe non-athletes thinking they can ride the coattails by backslapping their big men, while denigrating the new guys. Funny thing is that it seems like the actual true ex-athlete commentators don't have anything against soccer. They mostly just don't care, which is fair enough.

Anyway, like I said, bizarre. I used to find it tiresome, but sort of like it now. Keeps us well separate from that herd. Looks like soccer is here to stay, and we can finally now see a reasonable amount on it on the TV as opposed to pre-MLS offerings.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Yeah I'll be there if I can get the time off. I never cared for them when I lived near them, so I wouldn't mind a win. Another bummer of being a pretty sucky team that's going to struggle getting into the playoffs is that we can't afford to field our A squad for these exhibitions, but live footy is live footy.

Last game I got to revisit with our little Nimo who was here visiting with the Liberians and Mexicans we used to play with! Swell guy. I wish we could have kept the lad. He's bumping around in California for some reason.

What the F are you doing up in enemy territory anyway?
Erm, There's an association football club from the NW of England playing an exhibition match.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Once again Sporting let in an early goal thus had to play catch up the rest of the match. Keepers seem to be having blinders against them this season. That, or they're just not that creative. Played 20 minutes with Houston down to 9 and only managed 1 goal to get the draw. Frustrating team to watch.

brad-dyrak

Erm, There's an association football club from the NW of England playing an exhibition match.
Never heard of them.

Damn, I was happy to have forgotten about not getting to see that one. Thanks for reminding me :mad:

brad-dyrak

Once again Sporting let in an early goal thus had to play catch up the rest of the match. Keepers seem to be having blinders against them this season. That, or they're just not that creative. Played 20 minutes with Houston down to 9 and only managed 1 goal to get the draw. Frustrating team to watch.
At least your bunch aren't letting in late goals (often penalties) to lose the game, which has become the Portland specialty.

Seems like KC are a different team once they finally got to play at home. Playing away didn't stop them from beating us at home though. They've played some pretty good looking ball since getting their stadium ready.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
At least your bunch aren't letting in late goals (often penalties) to lose the game, which has become the Portland specialty.

Seems like KC are a different team once they finally got to play at home. Playing away didn't stop them from beating us at home though. They've played some pretty good looking ball since getting their stadium ready.
Unbeaten in 11 or something like that I think. We've indeed played some good passing football, but getting the goals is proving to be difficult. Also if the defense could focus for the full 90, that'd be great.

brad-dyrak

Timbers completely dominated West Bromwich Albion first half and went up 2-0. Then we made a few adjustments sending in some 3rd string and lost 3-2. Dire.

They did announce the United-Sounders score during the game which brought a standing ovation :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The problem with DC is there just isn't any room in DC and with the new baseball stadium built in large part thanks to tax payer dollars, the city is reluctant to take a chance in this economy. The team doesn't want to move to Maryland or VA, fearing it would alienate the other.

A while back, the owner (Chang?) said he would have some more concrete news by the end of the year, one way or the other..
Why not renovate RFK to accommodate DC United (i.e. 25,000 seats)?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
You might like this article, granted I don't agree with all the names but it is odd that certain players are constantly picked for international matches. It's clear as day that the USSF picks the squad, probably with MLS in mind, instead of the manager, and why the likes of Klinsmann et al are not hired or interested in the job.

Bob Bradley should give these U.S. players another look for the national team -- soccer - ESPN

bigredmachine

Running smooth
Timbers completely dominated West Bromwich Albion first half and went up 2-0. Then we made a few adjustments sending in some 3rd string and lost 3-2. Dire.

They did announce the United-Sounders score during the game which brought a standing ovation :lol:
I wanted to go watch WBA. Shame it was on the same day as the United - Sounders game.

brad-dyrak

I wanted to go watch WBA. Shame it was on the same day as the United - Sounders game.
Are you based out of Portland then? That'd make 3 of us on here.

Shame about the WBA game. Can't believe we were so good the first half and then gave away 3 in the 2nd. The subs didn't make much of a case for themselves.

In happier news, the Timbers tucked away Independiente last night. Our first win since I don't know when.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Timbers up 2-0 against the Galaxy, which is pretty impressive given LA's form. I think I might have to start supporting the Timbers. The doors we put into my house were made by Jeld-Wen. :lol:

brad-dyrak

feckin' A! Just got back and that was easily our best result so far. Becks had a good game first half but disappeared in the 2nd. Not sure what happened to Angel, but he was muttering to himself and seemed out of sorts. Great atmosphere, though knowing the Timbers I was sure LA would somehow snatch a win with 5 minutes left. In the end though, they looked quite toothless against us, and that's saying something. We're always good for a couple of soft goals.

The Timbers up 2-0 against the Galaxy, which is pretty impressive given LA's form. I think I might have to start supporting the Timbers. The doors we put into my house were made by Jeld-Wen. :lol:
I'd never even heard of Jeld-Wen until they bought the rights to the stadium. I'd have guessed a Star Wars guy, like a yoda or something.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Huge win for the Timbers last night, I expected them to blow it too. Hopefully this win will start a run now.

davisjw

FSC just cares about European games.

Versus isn't a channel the average TV watcher goes to so hoping this will attract a larger audience isn't key here. Key here is the amount they're paying and that it's long-term, ending at the right time to jack up the price around the 2014 WC.

Unfortunately, you won't see much success for MLS until it is deemed worthy enough to throw on a paid channel like FSC and like what happened to the PL in the early 90s.

The league won't hit a tipping point until its viewership numbers increase.

forevrared

Freddy Adu thanked Ivan Gazidis, who is the chief executive for Arsenal now, for helping him get to Philadelphia. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.