The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think the biggest part of the NBC deal is that the games will be more accessible to viewers and will give more exposure to the league than FSC does. Versus and NBC come with most cable packages so it's not like you have to pay the extra amount for extended cable that normally includes FSC. The best thing will be increased exposure for the clubs like the Timbers, Sounders, Whitecaps, Union, and other clubs with great support. People want to watch the Timbers because of the atmosphere, Timber Joey, and the football. It adds to the game when the fans are loud and supportive as opposed to some of the older, less-enthused clubs.

Atmosphere could draw someone who's not normally an MLS fan. It's one of the more interesting things to see in college sports.

I would definitely watch MLS more if it were on NBC and Versus instead of FSC. Unless the announcers are all awful.

davisjw

I think the biggest part of the NBC deal is that the games will be more accessible to viewers and will give more exposure to the league than FSC does. Versus and NBC come with most cable packages so it's not like you have to pay the extra amount for extended cable that normally includes FSC. The best thing will be increased exposure for the clubs like the Timbers, Sounders, Whitecaps, Union, and other clubs with great support. People want to watch the Timbers because of the atmosphere, Timber Joey, and the football. It adds to the game when the fans are loud and supportive as opposed to some of the older, less-enthused clubs.

Atmosphere could draw someone who's not normally an MLS fan. It's one of the more interesting things to see in college sports.

I would definitely watch MLS more if it were on NBC and Versus instead of FSC. Unless the announcers are all awful.
But the problem is, while most get Versus, I don't think very many know where it is. I know I get it with DirectTV, but it's buried in the upper three digits of the channels. It's not an accessible place where the average viewer will notice it.

In order for it to be successful, they must renegotiate with the cable networks to get it clumped with closer to your "main" channels.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
For me, it is with my main channels. It's about 5 or so channels away from ESPN and ESPN2. Fox Soccer is about 250 channels away and only on my digital box.

It would make a lot of sense for them to move it up and clump all the sports channels together. I guess it really depends on your provider and whether you have satellite or cable. On Time-Warner, my friend has all his sports stuff grouped together in HD but FSC doesn't come in HD for TW so it's in the 500s while the others are 1500s. If they get it in HD, it'll be fine, but Versus is already up there in HD.

surf

Why would anyone watch MLS on television when better quality football is already on TV? It's like lower division football in England - you go to the games because they are your local team but on TV you want to see something better. I assume the reason FSC shows dross like indoor football, college football and the outdoor women's league is that they can't find anything better to fill their schedules. The soccer fans in the US would much rather they were showing top foreign games.

Excal

Why would anyone watch MLS on television when better quality football is already on TV?
It's about exposing it to a wider audience. ESPN2 has about one game a week, and they're idiots who won't interrupt a Little League World Series game for fecking US/Mexico. FSC is way down the proverbial dial where a lot of potential fans won't even see it, and you can't get FS+ without paying extra. If it's out there where fans can see it, especially in the summer months when the only team sport going on is baseball, it's going to attract new supporters.

surf

It's about exposing it to a wider audience. ESPN2 has about one game a week, and they're idiots who won't interrupt a Little League World Series game for fecking US/Mexico. FSC is way down the proverbial dial where a lot of potential fans won't even see it, and you can't get FS+ without paying extra. If it's out there where fans can see it, especially in the summer months when the only team sport going on is baseball, it's going to attract new supporters.
You're giving reasons why it is beneficial to the MLS to be on TV, and I agree. But the question remains, why would the channels and the viewers want MLS on TV when they can do better?

davisjw

You're giving reasons why it is beneficial to the MLS to be on TV, and I agree. But the question remains, why would the channels and the viewers want MLS on TV when they can do better?
That's a bit daft.

There are many people who enjoy watching the sport as a whole and for most people in the US, they don't have a local team. Out of 50 states, only what 15 have teams? Two are in Canada. Plus you have fans who have moved away from their locale and still want to follow the team. Finally, if your team is playing away, you still want to watch the game.

Football is football is football. People are curious and interested. I enjoy watching leagues across the world. Different style, players, ability, environments, etc. And define "better". Football is an open-styled game - most people think Barca is a beauty to behold. I think it's dull passing about. I enjoy the German league whereas others think it's too physical. I enjoy the Japanese league because it's soft in defense. Italy bores me. Can't stand most of the South American leagues for their diving and poor quality coverage.

Excal

For the channels, what can they do better? Summer is when most of the network shows go on repeats, and there's only so much reality tv you can get people to watch. For sports, the only regular one out there in summer is baseball. It's a decent buy, and one that probably didn't cost NBC too much.

For the viewer, what's better about FSC?

brad-dyrak

Why would anyone watch MLS on television when better quality football is already on TV? It's like lower division football in England - you go to the games because they are your local team but on TV you want to see something better
What makes you think fans wouldn't want to watch their local team? I would have loved to see Cheltenham games on the tele when I was there.

The soccer fans in the US would much rather they were showing top foreign games.
I doubt any of us are qualified to speak for all the US soccer fans. Back when the Timbers were in A League and they were barely televised I watched more of them on TV than all the Italian and Spanish league which had a few games on every week. My friends in DC never miss a DC United game but could give a toss about the Premiership, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc. Lots of folks put a lot of stock in their local team, a team where they grew up, one their family supported, a friend plays for, etc.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The quality argument doesn't hold much water. Some of the biggest sports in the US are college sports. If there's NFL and NBA, why watch college football and basketball if you only care about the "quality" of the game? I don't care about either, but I love college sports despite there being less talent. The MLS is local for lots of people and others can pick it up the way they do any other sport. It also doesn't have the additional "cost" of waking up early on weekends to watch matches.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Freddy Adu is in the starting lineup for Philadelphia. They have quite a bit of talent in the side for a second year team.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm watching it on a stream. Dallas are up 1-0. Brek Shea has been decent so far.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
That's what I did then I checked the English one again and it works again. Different stream though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He was all right. A little rusty. I've been back and forth watching it. He just got subbed off for Mwanga, who could play for the US soon if he gets his citizenship.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just flicked through the channels to see what's on and settled on NY Red Bulls v Chicago Fire; my god the commentators are awful!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Dallas FC won in Mexico in the CONCACAF CL to mark the first win by a US side in Mexico. Seattle Sounders could be about to double that totale against Monterrey despite fielding a B squad. Watch out, MUFC07.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Dallas FC won in Mexico in the CONCACAF CL to mark the first win by a US side in Mexico. Seattle Sounders could be about to double that totale against Monterrey despite fielding a B squad. Watch out, MUFC07.
Good news for world football in my opinion

Wandering Red

Interesting that Blackburn have put in a bid for George John from FC Dallas. He's an above-average defender, but by no means a star in the league. Don't think he's even got a cap for the USA... *checks Wikipedia*... he doesn't.

Not sure what that says about the improving quality of MLS--or the frugality of Blackburn.

forevrared

He's eligible for Greece and the US and has been called into training camps for both. He had to pull out of the US camp because of injury and the Greece one was only training, not for a match if I remember correctly. He seems to be open to playing for either, but leaning towards the US.

The bid is supposedly $1.75m.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It can also be seen as Bob Bradley didn't recognize there were other quality defenders in the MLS outside his preferred handful.

If John gets regular time for B'burn, I'm sure Klinsmann will consider him for selection.

MrMarcello

Once...

He's been performing quite well for FC Dallas since 2009, and was quite good in 2010 in defense and this season. Yet he wasn't deemed good enough to get a sniff of the Gold Cup roster.

Ihemelu is another one that might get another call-up eventually.

MrMarcello

Has anything else been said about the MLS possibly participating in the Copa Libertadores?

Or is MLS happy with the CONCACAF edition? I know the winner of this competition gets the FIFA CWC entry for the region, but competing in the Copa would only bring more attention to the league and possibly allow young South American players to notice MLS clubs.

Copa Libertadores could open doors to MLS | MLSsoccer.com

Copa Libertadores could open doors to MLS
CONMEBOL president wants US teams in S. American tournament
October 29, 2010
Fabián Rozo

The name says it all: Copa Libertadores of America.

The continent’s foremost club tournament, which initially only included South American teams and began adding Mexican squads 13 editions ago, could now open its doors for teams from Major League Soccer, CONMEBOL president Nicolás Leóz told Brazilian sports daily Lance!

Leóz told the paper that he has been trying to incorporate teams from MLS into the prominent competition for the past few years.

“We’ve wanted to do that for a long time, but it doesn’t only depend on us,” said Leóz, who recognized that “the level of soccer in the US is growing” and assured that the door is open for the best MLS teams to partake in the Libertadores.

According to sources close to CONMEBOL’s executive committee, the federation will further analyze early next year the feasibility of inviting MLS teams to the South American version of Champions League.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
It's the best way for the league to go IMO. No one gives a feck about CCL. But jaunts to Rio, Sao Paulo, and Buenos Aires to face some absolutely stellar clubs would bring some great TV money.

Yes please.

rcoobc

Has anything else been said about the MLS possibly participating in the Copa Libertadores?

Or is MLS happy with the CONCACAF edition? I know the winner of this competition gets the FIFA CWC entry for the region, but competing in the Copa would only bring more attention to the league and possibly allow young South American players to notice MLS clubs.

Copa Libertadores could open doors to MLS | MLSsoccer.com

Copa Libertadores could open doors to MLS
CONMEBOL president wants US teams in S. American tournament
October 29, 2010
Fabián Rozo

The name says it all: Copa Libertadores of America.

The continent’s foremost club tournament, which initially only included South American teams and began adding Mexican squads 13 editions ago, could now open its doors for teams from Major League Soccer, CONMEBOL president Nicolás Leóz told Brazilian sports daily Lance!

Leóz told the paper that he has been trying to incorporate teams from MLS into the prominent competition for the past few years.

“We’ve wanted to do that for a long time, but it doesn’t only depend on us,” said Leóz, who recognized that “the level of soccer in the US is growing” and assured that the door is open for the best MLS teams to partake in the Libertadores.

According to sources close to CONMEBOL’s executive committee, the federation will further analyze early next year the feasibility of inviting MLS teams to the South American version of Champions League.
Wow didn't know this had been mentioned. I had a similar conversation with some people (Uncle Damfree) a while back. The distance involved for a Canadian team travelling to the lower parts of South America is huge, so would obviously have to be avoided. I see this is the way things will go though, even more so with the Copa America/Gold Cup.

MrMarcello

Only LA and NY can afford the foreign DP players that command high salaries. And MLS ensures the two big markets get every opportunity to generate headlines and fan interest. The cap needs to be doubled immediately.

rcoobc

Only LA and NY can afford the foreign DP players that command high salaries. And MLS ensures the two big markets get every opportunity to generate headlines and fan interest. The cap needs to be doubled immediately.
To what end, a lot of clubs haven't even got a single DP (and the first doesn't come with the Luxury Tax, if I recall). MLS needs to continue growing, keep doing its academies and "Soccer Specific Stadiums" and improving referee standards, but most importantly it needs a genuine rivalry that reverberates around. New York and LA Galaxy don't even have anything they are competing over for most of the season.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Sporting go top of the Eastern Conference after a comfortable 3-0 win against Houston. Sporting and Columbus are tied on points but with Sporting having played 2 games more. Still though, to go from being last in the conference for a while to first is pretty good.

Oh, and the refs in the MLS are really fecking terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.