The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral

BTV
Any possibility the DC ownership might consider Baltimore or Richmond if either city were to offer a stadium?
Yup...this is from May/June

Could D.C. United actually move to Baltimore? It's possible, says team president Kevin Payne. The club is growing weary of playing in rundown RFK Stadium in Washington and is looking at alternatives in the metro area.

“We continue to work on this in both D.C. and Baltimore," Payne told The Washington Post. "We’re looking at several sites in D.C. We’ve had several conversations with the District. There’s no specific proposals being discussed at this time, but I believe there is a general consensus in the Wilson Building (D.C. city government headquarters) that they certainly want D.C. United to remain in D.C.

"On the other hand, Baltimore will probably come forward with a pretty solid proposal. There’s certainly a great location in Baltimore and a willing developer. We’ll be deciding, I hope, sometime this year what our future is. As far as which of the two cities, our name is D.C. United and we don’t take that lightly, but the Baltimore opportunity is a real one and we have to take it seriously and do our due diligence in both locations.”

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yup...this is from May/June
As a non yank, am I right in thinking that Baltimore is not where united currently exist and a move there would be similar to moving the franchise a short while

Neutral

BTV
As a non yank, am I right in thinking that Baltimore is not where united currently exist and a move there would be similar to moving the franchise a short while
Yeah it would be a case of moving the franchise/team - about a 35-40mile distance.

There is a close affinity for the sports teams, in the NFL, before Baltimore got the Ravens, lots of Maryland fans supported the Washington team(Redskins)...Virginia residents are also included in this.

The same for baseball, the Baltimore Orioles for a long time drew fans from DC and Virginia, but with the Washington Nationals, that's no longer necessarily true.

rcoobc

This is what I love about MLS, this point on. The run in to the Playoffs and the Playoffs themselves along with the CONCACAF Group Stage final games. It's brilliant.

Really compliments the English season. I love it.

davisjw

Exactly. Which DC United supporters have said they would object to. The club is the Manchester United of the league: They started off the wonder child of the league, winning medals, competing in international tournaments. Now they're going through a dry spell (see 70s and 80s for us), and are now emerging thanks to young talent... Similar stories eh?

As someone who currently lives in Richmond, I wouldn't go to Maryland to see any games. And they wouldn't be DC so it would be obnoxious to think of them as that same team. Although the distance seems short, anyone who has visited DC knows it adds another hour to traveling time with traffic. The club has to stay in DC.

And it'd never go to Richmond. The city already has a team in the lower leagues and they can barely pull a thousand. It's a huge population, with solid footballing history, but it's not enough. Plus the city itself is not very large so it would have to go somewhere in suburbia. And looking at the success that brought Dallas, it's out of the question. (sarcasm about the Dallas team)

bigredmachine

Running smooth
The attendance will continue to struggle until the club moves closer to its fan base. Put the home games closer to Arlington/Garland and the attendance will increase considerably. Fort Worth (Tarrant County) has a large Hispanic population and the entire DFW metroplex has plenty of worldwide transplants to support a club.
They already home to two of the city's 4 teams, no thanks, but I agree Frisco albeit a great place to live is a shitty place to house a soccer team. F/W might be great.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
They already home to two of the city's 4 teams, no thanks, but I agree Frisco albeit a great place to live is a shitty place to house a soccer team. F/W might be great.
The Cowboys were nowhere near Arlington when FC Dallas moved to the park in Frisco (2005). The ideal spot would have been right next to/down the road from Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie (I meant GP not Garland).

MrMarcello

Exactly. Which DC United supporters have said they would object to. The club is the Manchester United of the league: They started off the wonder child of the league, winning medals, competing in international tournaments. Now they're going through a dry spell (see 70s and 80s for us), and are now emerging thanks to young talent... Similar stories eh?
LA has always been the glamor team. I'd say DC are the Liverpool of the US.

rcoobc

Anyone else screaming for some CONCACAF Champions League action. Can't find a way to watch it, without giving bet365 some more money.

davisjw

LA has always been the glamor team. I'd say DC are the Liverpool of the US.
LA are the Chelsea (had some history, bought Beckham and could afford more glamorous teams and in a glamorous part of the US). NYRB are the Man City - purely built because of wealth - big egos having fights in the media.

United never bought their trophies or their respect, just like United :devil:

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Vancouver's new stadium looks impressive. I love that city.

brad-dyrak

Yeah pissed I didn't make it up there, but the fellas I always went with before only wanted to stay the day. Too far to drive for that.

The old stadium they used to play in was a strange one. Not much more than a largish high school, was out of town a ways, and required a 20 minute hike in through some pretty nice woods.

Anyway, cracking town and phenomenal women.

Better yet, their team is lousy, so the Timbers are back in the hunt.

brad-dyrak

Crazy that the first place team in the East(Sporting KC, oh yeah) would be 5th in the West. Also, I'm surprised how poor the goal differences are in teams outside of LA and Seattle.
Yeah was noticing that as well. The top 3 teams in the West and the bottom 3 in the league have huge differentials. Everyone else within +/-7.

Boy, your bunch really turned themselves around once they got to play at home. Nicely done. You getting good crowds there now? I went way back when (3rd year MLS I think) to see DC in KC. Crowd was a bit disappointing.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Timbers are back in the hunt.
Cracking shot from Cooper. I've heard a rumour he's not going to be there next season.

Renewed my ST today. Hopefully I'm going to end up with a cheaper ticket once all the renewals are in.

rcoobc

VANCOUVER, British Columbia. - Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber hinted that the number of the Portland-Seattle and Portland-Vancouver derby games could increase next season.

With Montreal joining MLS in 2012, the number of teams in the league will increase to 19 and Garber, in an interview with reporters, said the league must decide if the schedule will remain balanced - teams playing each other twice - or go to an unbalanced schedule. Sticking to a balanced schedule would add more games to an already packed and tight regular season that includes CONCACAF, U.S. Open Cup and exhibition games.

"We're limited in the number of games that we can play based on schedules, other competitions that are taking place, the weather - so many other variables," said Garber, who was in Vancouver to celebrate the opening of BC Place, the Whitecaps' new home. "In a perfect world, every league would like to (have a) balanced (schedule). (I'm) just not sure we will be able to achieve that."

Garber seemed to indicate his preference of going to an unbalanced schedule that would focus on maintaining and developing strong regional rivalries.

"We're looking at creating a format that will take advantage of what we think are a number of key rivalries," Garber said. "It will be difficult to have every team playing each other once throughout the year...
more: MLS may schedule extra Cascadia rivalry game in 2012 | OregonLive.com

Could be the last year of the balanced schedule.

brad-dyrak

I'm sure it was a legacy thing, but since each side was playing a home and away with every other side, it really made the whole conference thing unnecessary. Unfair as ole's mentioned with the top 3 East teams getting in even though they rank 6, 7, 8.

So what will happen? We'll only play the teams from the other conference once? I don't really like it as it will skew the standing even more. Still it does mean probably getting to see more away games, and not having to come up with more excuses to pass on going to Columbus.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Yeah was noticing that as well. The top 3 teams in the West and the bottom 3 in the league have huge differentials. Everyone else within +/-7.

Boy, your bunch really turned themselves around once they got to play at home. Nicely done. You getting good crowds there now? I went way back when (3rd year MLS I think) to see DC in KC. Crowd was a bit disappointing.
Yeah, the turnouts are usually very good. Good atmosphere as well. The missus and I may do season tickets last year. I'm trying to convince her we should spend the money on going to 1 United game instead.

I've been very surprised by the turnaround. We were looking terrible on the road, but have found new life and better football with games at home.

davisjw

more: MLS may schedule extra Cascadia rivalry game in 2012 | OregonLive.com

Could be the last year of the balanced schedule.
Don't agree with this at all. It's being lazy on the league's part. You'll lump all the attendance-heavy teams together and create a power struggle when team owners start questioning the "share" mentality of the league. "We bring in 30,000 every game, why should we share profits with a team pulling 12,000?"

On top of that, you start diluting the rivalries. If they play each other too much it won't be special. There's only so many times a season you can play each other and still make things special. Look at last season when Madrid and Barca played each other so many times: people got bored and the football was terrible because no one wanted to be the losing team.

Terrible idea all around.

rcoobc

Don't agree with this at all. It's being lazy on the league's part. You'll lump all the attendance-heavy teams together and create a power struggle when team owners start questioning the "share" mentality of the league. "We bring in 30,000 every game, why should we share profits with a team pulling 12,000?"

On top of that, you start diluting the rivalries. If they play each other too much it won't be special. There's only so many times a season you can play each other and still make things special. Look at last season when Madrid and Barca played each other so many times: people got bored and the football was terrible because no one wanted to be the losing team.

Less travelling costs, by the time they hit 24 teams doing twice against teams in that conference, 1 against the other conference, that will be 34 games.

It could be good, could be bad.

MrMarcello

You have to keep in mind MLS is run by former NFL/NBA/MLB people and they have zero understanding of this sport.

MrMarcello

Probably the best quality on display for the league. NYRB front three look very lively on the counter.

Henry just did his classic control, pivot and pass but Rodgers just hit the post from the setup. Don't know how he missed.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
2-0. Henry. This could be the final push towards the playoffs from a team that doesn't really deserve to be there.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Who's the chick, Mockney? She could be hot.

Also, why is there a gorilla?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
She was quite hot, (quite) she was the girlfriend of one of the drummers. There was an even hotter one to her left, sadly, also with her boyfriend. I've got a video coming soon, in the same style as the WC video diaries, I'm just having trouble editing it because it's in MTS and has been a bitch to get off the camera. Plus I only got back on Sat.

Had a good time though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The video is still taking ages...I now have to wait for the WTS to convert into a Dvix, and then again into the programme I'm using. Stupid big, pointless camera files.

However, not forgetting my priorities, I can take some screen caps.

So, as we can see, girl B is clearly fitter, though girl A is less foreboding in actuality, and would probably be the better lay. Girl B is a quiet moaner I reckon. Girl A is a swearer.

Serious football talk.

brad-dyrak

Bloody hell. The last 20 minutes of DC-Portland was ridiculous. Never seen that many chances on both sides in so little time. Certainly not a showcase for good soccer, but exciting nonetheless.

In the end, I reckon they've both just knocked each other out of contention. Was sad to see what's happened to the crowd in DC. Looked like it was just Barra Brava and the Eagles, and that as only a fraction of what it used to be.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
WASHINGTON - D.C. United's Charlie Davies is suing the owners of a Washington nightclub and the drink company Red Bull for $20 million, claiming they are responsible for a fatal car crash that ended the MLS player's hopes of joining the 2010 U.S. World Cup team.
Davies, now 25, was a passenger in the car driven by a woman who has since pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and drunken driving in the 2009 one-car crash that killed a second passenger. The lawsuit claims the Shadow Room and Red Bull served excessive alcohol to driver Maria Espinoza.
The crash killed 22-year-old Ashley Roberta and Davies suffered a number of broken bones and lacerated bladder, making him unable to play in the World Cup.
"A bar or restaurant or establishment has a duty, once they believe someone is visibly intoxicated, to stop serving them," said Davies' attorney, Jon Pels, in a telephone interview Wednesday.
According to the lawsuit, Davies, Espinoza and Roberta were at the Washington club on the night of Oct. 12, 2009, for a private event hosted by Red Bull.
The lawsuit said that despite Espinoza being obviously drunk, the club continued serving her alcohol. It claims the club and company "carelessly and negligently" served drinks to drunken guests.
Espinoza later drove Davies and Roberta from the club and crashed her car on the George Washington Memorial Parkway. In March, Espinoza was sentenced to two years in prison.
Roberta's family also sued Red Bull and DAS Enterprises, the owner of the Shadow Room, in federal court in Virginia on Oct. 13.
FOX 5 has spoken with the club owners of Shadow Room, who dispute these claims, and they say Davies was fully aware of who he was leaving with and the amount of alcohol they had comsumed.
The club owners say they did not overserve Davies and the other two girls he was with the night of the accident and plan to fight these allegations.
The club owners also say they have multiple items of proof that shows Davies was fully aware of what was happening the night of the crash and shows he has returned to the club after the incident.
A Red Bull spokesman had no comment.
Davies' lawsuit was filed Oct. 12 in D.C. Superior Court in Washington. An initial hearing in the case is scheduled for Jan. 13. The lawsuit was first reported by The Washington Post.
Davies was substituted early out of Wednesday night's game against the Portland Timbers and had left the team clubhouse before it was open to the media, according to a team spokesman.

Read more: DC United's Charlie Davies Sues DC Nightclub, Drink Company Red Bull Over Car Crash
What a prick.

brad-dyrak

What a prick.
Yeah, I've always figured suits like that were on slippery ground. Perhaps a case can be made where they over-served someone and they died of alchohol poisoning, but even that's a bit much to ask of a harried bartender. As for serving to a driver, how can they know who will be driving, who's walking, and who'll be taking a cab? Seems unrealistic to expect this of a bartender.

If this bar didn't have deep pocketed owners I'm not sure this lawsuit would get filed.

Anyway, did anyone see the end of the United-Timbers game? Mental. My condolences to United. Still love that club. I hope they get their act together soon, starting with a new place to get their act together. RFK looked depressing on TV.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Anyway, did anyone see the end of the United-Timbers game? Mental. My condolences to United. Still love that club. I hope they get their act together soon, starting with a new place to get their act together. RFK looked depressing on TV.
Fanastic last 20 minutes. It could have gone either way. Troy Perkins won't be at the Timbers for long if he continues to play like he has.

Just need Philly to do us a favour tonight away to NJ Redbulls and an away win at RSL.

We might get another game at JWF this year!! :angel:
Yeah, I've always figured suits like that were on slippery ground....
...If this bar didn't have deep pocketed owners I'm not sure this lawsuit would get filed.
It's generally the insurance companies that push to sue licensees when someone gets done for drink driving when there's a fatality.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
The Henry-less Red Bull need a point to make the playoffs.

Still can't believe he got sent off.

Status
Not open for further replies.