The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkecane

Go Timbers!

I'm planning on moving to Portland within a year, so I'm adopting them beforehand. PGE Park should be great once the renovation's complete.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Portland? It's over!

Have you seen Portlandia yet Brad?

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Aside from the Cosmos, where do you guys think would be a good place for another MLS side? I would like for there to be one in the Southeast somewhere, since there isn't one anywhere in my part of the country aside from DC. Atlanta has a solid reputation for soccer, but I don't know how many people would buy STs. Miami doesn't care enough about sports to deserve one. Despite having a pretty good soccer culture, I don't think Raleigh or Charlotte could support an MLS team consistently. They did surprise me with the Canes though.
I think St. Louis would be a good shout. The STL/KC is a good rivalry in any sport. I think it's good to pick cities that would have rivalries already in place. Could give it that extra edge.

Wandering Red

Honest question for american fans. Wouldn´t you guys prefer a 20 league team with promotions / relegations and scrap this playoff nonsense?
Not happening anytime soon. FFS, clubs in England and Scotland have been falling into financial ruin after getting relegated. Would be almost impossible for teams in the US or Canada to pull it off. The gap between the top tier and the lower tiers is just too vast--and it's getting to that point in Europe as well.

Playoffs might seem like "nonsense" to some, but it makes perfect sense within context, and it's downright strange in the US for the championship to be decided prior to the final match of the season.

I think St. Louis would be a good shout. The STL/KC is a good rivalry in any sport. I think it's good to pick cities that would have rivalries already in place. Could give it that extra edge.
Been a while, but St Louis used to be the symbolic center of soccer in the US. Not sure on the bid status there though.

The 20th team will almost certainly be the Cosmos. It's just going to be a matter of whether the league stops there for a while, or continues to push forward with expansion.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Becks has an option to buy into an expansion team so if that's not the Cosmos then it's got to be another new one (if that's what he wants to do). I'd like to see the Rowdies back to keep the NASL revival going.

gbgary

Honest question for american fans. Wouldn´t you guys prefer a 20 league team with promotions / relegations and scrap this playoff nonsense?
Absolutely but I don't see it being a likely thing for a long time. Americans love their play-offs though.
loving playoffs has nothing to do with it. there just aren't enough teams to make three or four divisions for that. not enough interest to support it. there's just enough interest and money for one division.

AlwaysRedwood

Becks has an option to buy into an expansion team so if that's not the Cosmos then it's got to be another new one (if that's what he wants to do). I'd like to see the Rowdies back to keep the NASL revival going.
He's getting Montreal. This I am 100% certain of.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
loving playoffs has nothing to do with it. there just aren't enough teams to make three or four divisions for that. not enough interest to support it. there's just enough interest and money for one division.
The main issue is that no owner would want to buy a team knowing that they might not be in the top division the next season. It could be seen as a horrible return on investment.

brad-dyrak

Portland? It's over!

Have you seen Portlandia yet Brad?
Not yet. Should I? I've heard mixed things. Still, someone needs to let the air out of this town. Great place, but too many folks taking it way too seriously.

brad-dyrak

The main issue is that no owner would want to buy a team knowing that they might not be in the top division the next season. It could be seen as a horrible return on investment.
yeah, that's my understanding as well. It's a shame, but it's a holdover from back when nobody was laying safe money on the league surviving. I don't know what will be needed to free things up. Probably more general interest in soccer translating to better funded and more ambitious league below the MLS clamoring and bribing for a shot at the big time (by US soccer standards). Can't see anything loosening the grip of the rich owners other than more/richer owners.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Not yet. Should I? I've heard mixed things. Still, someone needs to let the air out of this town. Great place, but too many folks taking it way too seriously.
It's worth a look, its pretty good at taking the piss out of everyone who takes themselves way too seriously in this town. Saying that it is a bit hit or miss

brad-dyrak

It's worth a look, its pretty good at taking the piss out of everyone who takes themselves way too seriously in this town. Saying that it is a bit hit or miss
I noticed that they are showing it at 4-4-2. I'll give it a gander.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The owner of that place is funny as feck. He fecked up a cocktail my mrs. ordered one night and he down it himself. Do you know Nice Dave perchance...?

brad-dyrak

The owner of that place is funny as feck. He fecked up a cocktail my mrs. ordered one night and he down it himself. Do you know Nice Dave perchance...?
Can't say I know any nice Daves.

I know the guy that runs the place from back when it was a Bosnian grocer. Nice old bloke. Especially nice of him to open a footy pub 2 blocks from my gaff :devil:

I catch United games there now and again. Used to go to the Horse Brass for early games, but that mucky trough of a breakfast they serve has just about killed me a few too many times.

Any decent spots showing Untied up in NoPo?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I had enough of the Horsebrass a while back from that miserable old twat Arthur. I just watch the games at home now.

Edit: the Rose and Thistle show games I think but I've never been in there for a couple of years.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
I have my fingers crossed Buffalo loses their NFL team and we get an MLS club. As far as rivalries go we could have a good one with Toronto FC

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Buffalo? Seriously??

I know Rochester has a great supporter's club and stadium. Where would a club play in Buffalo?
We had the Blizzard a while back and the Bills and Sabres get really good support here. If the Bills were gone there would be a big void that an MLS team could fill. Buffalo is bigger than Rochester too. The HSBC arena should be capable or RW Stadium would be empty if the Bills left. There are a good amount of football supporters here and I think an MLS team could be viable.

TomClare

There's a heatlthy rivalry bewtween Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas. Dynamo have done very well since they arrived in houston winning 2 MLS Championships in their first 2 years here 2006 & 2007. Last year was a bit of a watershed but you had to take into account that they had lost a complete midfield - de Rosario to Toronto, Clark to a leverkusen, and Holden to Bolton. However, we're optimistic for the coming season and it's nice to see the Academy at last starting to produce players. This year 4 from the original Academy have been given pro contracts.

Last saturday I attended the groundbreaking for the building of Dynamo's new stadium which will be in the downtown area. So far we have played all our games at robertson Stadium on the University of Houston complex. Not ideal but the place generates a good atmosphere and the 32,000 seats have sold out on many aoccasions. The new stadium will seat 22,500 which is about right considering Dynamo have an established hard core of support that numbers around 17000.

As for other clubs coming into the league - fromw hat I hear Montreal will be the next one probably followed by Miami.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Portland's home opener against Chicago Fire is going to be live on ESPN2 on April 14.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
There's a heatlthy rivalry bewtween Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas. Dynamo have done very well since they arrived in houston winning 2 MLS Championships in their first 2 years here 2006 & 2007. Last year was a bit of a watershed but you had to take into account that they had lost a complete midfield - de Rosario to Toronto, Clark to a leverkusen, and Holden to Bolton. However, we're optimistic for the coming season and it's nice to see the Academy at last starting to produce players. This year 4 from the original Academy have been given pro contracts.

Last saturday I attended the groundbreaking for the building of Dynamo's new stadium which will be in the downtown area. So far we have played all our games at robertson Stadium on the University of Houston complex. Not ideal but the place generates a good atmosphere and the 32,000 seats have sold out on many aoccasions. The new stadium will seat 22,500 which is about right considering Dynamo have an established hard core of support that numbers around 17000.

As for other clubs coming into the league - fromw hat I hear Montreal will be the next one probably followed by Miami.
Clark sucks, no loss there.

The rivals play in Corpus Christi on Tuesday I believe, at Whataburger Field.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I believe the plan is to play in a stadium within the city proper.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
That's one concern I had. Maybe they could build something in Queens? There's not much else in Queens worthwhile. :D

MrMarcello

what big football stadiums do they have in New YorK?
Doesn't need to be big like gridiron football. Anything 20-30k would suit.

Perhaps this place Icahn Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but it's a track and field venue and only seats 5k, which I'm sure could be renovated for an MLS club, especially the Cosmos. http://www.nyc.com/link.aspx?site=http://www.risf.org

fecking artificial pitch venue is located just north of the stadium but doesn't specify seating capacity. I would hope they wouldn't play there.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If the New Meadowlands wasn't being used by both the Jets and Giants, the Cosmos could try to wrangle something similar to what the Sounders have if they could get more than 30,000 people at games.

The biggest issue for building the stadium is going to be finding and buying the location, imo. Red Bull Arena only cost about $200m, which is fairly cheap for a stadium. Sharing the stadium with the Red Bulls would be a bad idea, imo. It would be like the Mets and Yankees sharing a stadium.

MrMarcello

Found a few more possible venues...

Pier 40 - could possibly convert to a MLS facility and add more seating. Would make for a spectacular bay/ocean view. Rugby league site.
http://www.erugbynews.com/img/articles/pitchoft581.jpg

Travers Island, home of the famed New York Athletic Club. Another great view and also a rugby league site.
http://empiresportsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/DSC01359.jpg

The Brooklyn Knights play at Metropolitan Oval which would need millions in renovations to meet FIFA/USSF/MLS requirements.
Metropolitan Oval Foundation

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Travers Island would be ideal. It's got to be in NY, not NJ ffs.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Putting a stadium on Pier 40 would be amazing. It would be like that stadium Barcelona were supposedly thinking about building on the water. It would be immensely expensive though, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.