The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Putting a stadium on Pier 40 would be amazing. It would be like that stadium Barcelona were supposedly thinking about building on the water. It would be immensely expensive though, I imagine.
There's already two pitches on there so they'd just have to convert to a FIFA approved pitch (I presume) and add seating. With it so confined, by the looks of it, they'd have to built the seating upwards around the pitch which could give it a Roman cathedral feel to it. I think it would be an awesome location.

However, Travers Island looks an ideal location for an immediate entry to MLS. Not sure the seating but looks to be well over 10,000. If it's anywhere near 20,000, or could be increased to 20-30,000, then I could see that being the location. If NYAC would approve, which I'm quite sure they would (show the money). Even if on a temp basis until a stadium can be built elsewhere or another site renovated.

MrMarcello

The people that run this league are doing their collective best to make the league a bigger joke than it already is.

MLS decides on structure for expanded playoffs - ESPN

MLS sets expanded playoffs format

NEW YORK -- The top three teams in each of Major League Soccer's two conference will be joined in the playoffs this fall by the next four teams with the highest point totals.

The playoffs expand by two teams this year to 10 with the league increasing to 18 teams with the addition of the Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Last year, the playoffs include the two conference champions and the next six teams.

The playoff expansion was announced last fall, with the format announced Wednesday.

The four teams not guaranteed automatic berths from their conference will play one-match knockout games hosted by higher seeds. The winners advance to the home-and-home, total-goals conference semifinals. The conference finals will remain one-match knockout games, as will the MLS Cup.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: I can understand adding another pair of teams, but four is a bit ridiculous. Also, why aren't the Semis home-away ties?

The Final would probably be better if it were home and away too, but then it wouldn't be much of a "Final." Attendance would be better that way since many MLS fans aren't to the level of traveling across the country. The MLS Final isn't the Final Four, Super Bowl, or a Bowl game. All other major sports have series for finals.

MrMarcello

This is what you get when persons from other American sporting industries run MLS. What works in this sport or that sport won't necessarily work in MLS. They fail to see this. And they don't appear to be listening to the consumer.

Eight playoff spots is plenty. One table - top eight in. Two-legged affairs for all rounds including the final. However, I'm fine with a one-off final.

The reasoning for conferences is so the league isn't top heavy in the playoffs, i.e. heavy East or West. This is simply because of television and media coverage IMO.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Exciting times for the Timbers. I think they're going to make their mark on MLS in a big way this season.

brad-dyrak

Exciting times for the Timbers. I think they're going to make their mark on MLS in a big way this season.
I've looked at the roster and I have absolutely no idea. Aside from Kenny Cooper and the fellas that made it up from the USL-1 squad, I just can't tell. It's strange supporting team when I know so little about them. It sounds like you've got a good notion though. Do I understand that we have no designated player then? Is this common in MLS? I assumed every team had 1 player they could break the bank on.

Anyway, always up for the live footy. I'll be in Denver for the weekend to see the opener. Fair play to the Rapids supporters as they're going to welcome us to MLS in style taking up to some bars and their tailgate. Some of my old DC and Baltimore louts will be out for the DC game as well.

Good times. I'm actually liking the marketing they're doing for the Timbers. Billboards, painted planes, and the sponsored have-your-Timbers-picture-taken in the Oregonian.

forevrared

Living in Georgia I've got at minimum an 8-9 hour drive to the nearest MLS club so I more or less support the league rather than any team. I like the Galaxy more than most and like to support the newer clubs (unless they're Canadian) so I usually end up pulling for the Sounders and probably will for the Timbers as well (even if they're supposed to be rivals).

Does anyone else think Chivas USA should re-brand? Not something as dumb as Sporting KC, but drop the goats. It'd probably wreck most of their Mexican support, but I imagine they'd be a much more appealing team to support to the masses. The players have almost no ties to Chivas Guadalajara anymore and it's more Americans than Mexicans. Plus Chivas USA just sounds stupid.

Pimpmofo

I've looked at the roster and I have absolutely no idea. Aside from Kenny Cooper and the fellas that made it up from the USL-1 squad, I just can't tell. It's strange supporting team when I know so little about them. It sounds like you've got a good notion though. Do I understand that we have no designated player then? Is this common in MLS? I assumed every team had 1 player they could break the bank on.

Anyway, always up for the live footy. I'll be in Denver for the weekend to see the opener. Fair play to the Rapids supporters as they're going to welcome us to MLS in style taking up to some bars and their tailgate. Some of my old DC and Baltimore louts will be out for the DC game as well.

Good times. I'm actually liking the marketing they're doing for the Timbers. Billboards, painted planes, and the sponsored have-your-Timbers-picture-taken in the Oregonian.
Are you in Denver on Saturday only?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers

Kudos for taking the trip to Denver Brad. I'm with you on having absolutely no idea how the team are going to play. They seem to be putting a lot of faith in Cooper. They've had a decent preseason though. There's been rumours about a DP but nothing solid.

I see the single game ticket pre-sale for ST holders has turn into a clusterfeck already.

brad-dyrak

Are you in Denver on Saturday only?
Get there late Friday night, and leaving Sunday afternoon.

Turns out I've got people there I may look in on Saturday morning. I wish I could carve out some more time, but alas. Are you a Rapidian?

brad-dyrak

Kudos for taking the trip to Denver Brad. I'm with you on having absolutely no idea how the team are going to play. They seem to be putting a lot of faith in Cooper. They've had a decent preseason though. There's been rumours about a DP but nothing solid.

I see the single game ticket pre-sale for ST holders has turn into a clusterfeck already.
Oh dear, what have they done now?

Did you know they renamed the Portland stadium to Jen-Weld Stadium? Sounds like one of Yoda's pals. He makes doors. Lots of them apparently. I wish Hung-Far Low's had manned up for the rights.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I've been trying to get extra tickets for the Sounders game but it's all a bit of a mess. Apparently there's too many peeps trying to buys tickets together and she canny take anymore captain.

Pimpmofo

Get there late Friday night, and leaving Sunday afternoon.

Turns out I've got people there I may look in on Saturday morning. I wish I could carve out some more time, but alas. Are you a Rapidian?
I am. If you were there longer I'd get you drunk and try to do dirty things to you but I wouldn't have time to do all the stuff I normally do by Sunday so I'll just hold off. Maybe buy you a beer at the game though?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It might have something to do with his skipping out on the Galaxy pre-season to stay in London and work out with Spuds. Or his dubious commitment to MLS aside from the paycheck.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Lalas still has sand in his vagina about Becks

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Very open match so far.

Freddy Montero has been good whenever I've seen him. Is he consistently good? Seems like someone his age would be in Europe if he were good.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
1-0 LA. Keller could have done better I think, the ball did move a bit in the air though

brad-dyrak

I am. If you were there longer I'd get you drunk and try to do dirty things to you but I wouldn't have time to do all the stuff I normally do by Sunday so I'll just hold off. Maybe buy you a beer at the game though?
Yeah, I'll soak ya for a beer/dirty things. Send me a PM for which bathroom to meet you in.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
How about that miss from White at the beginning of the first half.

Christ!

forevrared

I thought the game was pretty shit. Graned I fell asleep the last 15 minutes, the passing from both sides was woeful. It could have a lot to do with playing on wet rubber, but it was still shit. It looked more like MLS circa 1999 than the standards of today.

Also, how bizarre is it that the Sounders cut their designated player something like 3 hours before the season started? :lol: Could he not have told them he didn't want to play higher up the field before now?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
RT @ochocinco I'll be playing on the MLS team @SportingKC on March 22nd, thank everyone involved especially coach Vermes #EPIC

Awesome...

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I believe he's been called up to the Honduras U20 team, don't quote me on that though.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Good start for the Whitecaps today, 4-2 against Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.