The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Di Vaio scratching Ashe's face twice was nasty. I kept thinking, "Is Di Vaio a racist or was there something that had occurred off camera between them? Or perhaps just an isolated incident."

He got a three-game suspension for next season (assuming he stays) and a whopping $1,000 fine.
Aye, that was vile.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Constantly hearing Twellman's commentary was annoying. He's a terrible commentator.
He really is an awful commentator, bit of an elitist too, remember him moaning about talking to football fans in the US and thinking they were prats for not being into MLS, or wanting to talk about MLS players, something like that. Sounded like a complete ass.

brad-dyrak

I'll be there. I don't want to hate them any more than I have to as it makes it all the worse to lose to them, which we've got a good chance of doing tonight. I didn't think we looked very dangerous against them in the first leg. Our attacks were getting bogged down in midfield whereas theirs didn't break until they hit our defense. Maybe as the home team they were just playing a higher line than we were? The good news is our defense was phenomenal. We gave away I don't know how many near in set pieces and the Gambians handled them with aplomb. That's been a weakness this season, so it's great to see them firming up now.

Still would like to see Valeri step up and set us up with an early goal or 2. He was invisible last game. I was surprised to see Johnson up front last game. I'd usually put him at the lower end of our selection of forwards. Piquonne or Valencia for me early on, and bring in Urruti to run them around later.

Gonna be a nail biter for sure.

brad-dyrak

Just back from watching the Timbers romping over Seattle. Great atmosphere. 3-0 and then got complacent and let in a couple, but Seattle would have needed to score 2 more to tie. I still feel like that rivalry is a bit forced. For years Seattle couldn't draw any kind of a crowd in A League, and when they get an MLS franchise they suddenly pack the house and hate Portland? Was cringeworthy watching Timbers fans giving the Flounders grief at the end while they walked off as well.

Anyway, it feels good to actually progress. Now up against RSL who have been our bogey team. Not terribly optimistic about that one.

Anyway, great season. Porter has worked wonders with the squad.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
Just back from watching the Timbers romping over Seattle. Great atmosphere. 3-0 and then got complacent and let in a couple, but Seattle would have needed to score 2 more to tie. I still feel like that rivalry is a bit forced. For years Seattle couldn't draw any kind of a crowd in A League, and when they get an MLS franchise they suddenly pack the house and hate Portland? Was cringeworthy watching Timbers fans giving the Flounders grief at the end while they walked off as well.

Anyway, it feels good to actually progress. Now up against RSL who have been our bogey team. Not terribly optimistic about that one.

Anyway, great season. Porter has worked wonders with the squad.

Great atmosphere last night. If Oregon had beaten Stanford, it would have really been a party.

We always find a way to spectacularly implode against Salt Lake.

brad-dyrak

Kries is a good coach. No doubt about it. It was a tough one to watch as a Timbers guy. For 15 minutes it looked like they were going to absolutely demolish us, but things stabilized finally. Thank goodness for the late one from Piquionne. I reckon the leg here at home could be a cracker if we can please score first.

They've gotten the better of us all season. From what I've seen, they're a pretty classy side. No big stars, and seemingly no big egos. We're one of the few sides that actually spends less than they do. I think they're in 14th and we're 17th or something. Good value.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I know it's the MLS thread, but has anyone heard the Braves have been approved for another stadium?

Turner Field was built in 1996... It's ridiculous how cities in the US are held hostage over stadiums. Not that I suspect the Braves would bolt but a new stadium when the current venue is still viable and not even twenty years old.

Will this spur the Falcons into getting a new stadium as well? If so, that would could help the Silverbacks attract MLS attention.

Pimpmofo

It was freezing at Sporting Park tonight. Great game though. Glad to have finally beaten Houston in the playoffs. Cup Final in Kansas City in 2 weeks....
My cousin works part time for Sporting's ground crew and was sending me pics during the game. Said he froze his ass off.
You guys picked a good time to finally break the Houston curse. Congrats.

MrMarcello

Why is that ridiculous?
I don't agree in one-off finals being played at a site based on best record. It should be a predetermined location. This isn't MLB, NBA, or NHL with a seven-game series and home-field/home-court/home-ice. This isn't a two-legged affair ala Libertadores Cup Final.

Or perhaps UEFA and others have it all wrong and we should just award the final host to the best record/ranked side remaining.

mboRa ndomHer0723

I am not saying you are wrong, I just get why MLS would set it up this way. All you have to do it go to the 2010 Final in Toronto where no one showed up. MLS does not want to go through that again, but hopefully they get to the point where they can put the final wherever they want and fans would show up.

MrMarcello

Too frickin' cold to be hosting a championship final in Toronto. With the finals being played in November/December, it's perhaps best to place them in a warmer location. The league doesn't have the fan base to draw from to force fans to overpay for a final in a location with potentially dreadful weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.