The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mboRa ndomHer0723

Too frickin' cold to be hosting a championship final in Toronto. With the finals being played in November/December, it's perhaps best to place them in a warmer location. The league doesn't have the fan base to draw from to force fans to overpay for a final in a location with potentially dreadful weather.
I saw that it was snowing out it KC last night, should be an interesting final. Hopefully no Costa Rican national team players are on either of the rosters.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's hoof tactics in most MLS matches. I was rather bored watching the game yesterday. Sad statement that the penalty kicks was more entertaining than the match. And I hate penalty kicks.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Kreis to NYCFC. :( Say it ain't so. Now I can't support my fellow Duke guy. Hopefully, he replaces Klinsi in several years.

Gannicus

We're one step closer to bringing an MLS franchise to Sacramento, California.

If you've never visited "Sac", it's no Miami but it's a pretty decent place to live. We just opened a USL Pro franchise this year and attendance has well exceeded all expectations. The quality of the football is pretty good, too.

Republic FC fans welcome Major League Soccer executives to Sacramento

By Dale Kasler and Ryan Lillis
dkasler@sacbee.com
Published: Thursday, Sep. 18, 2014 - 2:57 pm

As a boisterous crowd of Sacramento Republic FC fans chanted slogans, two top executives fromMajor League Soccer arrived at Sacramento International Airport this afternoon to begin a two-day visit with an eye toward possibly awarding the city an expansion team.

"I've come to learn," Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott told reporters as he and Charles Altchek, special assistant to the commissioner, arrived at Terminal A.

Abbott waved off any discussion of Sacramento's chances for a franchise, saying: "We don't come in with any preconceived notions."

It's widely believed that Sacramento is in a close race with Minneapolis for the 24th and final spot in MLS. The league's owners could make a decision as early as December.

Abbott and Altchek were scheduled to have lunch with Mayor Kevin Johnson and then head to Republic FC's offices near Broadway to meet with team owners, sponsors and other "corporate leadership in town," said team spokeswoman Erika Bjork. Dinner this evening will be with team investors Kevin Nagle, Larry Kelley and other potential investors.

The MLS contingent was also expected to put in an appearance at Republic FC's playoff block party starting at 7 p.m. at the corner of 20th and K streets.

Republic FC fans gave Abbott and Altchek a taste of what's to come this evening. More than 50 fans, almost all wearing the team's burgundy colors, sang and chanted as the MLS executives came down the airport escalator. Abbott said the turnout was a tribute to the strong fan support the first-year minor-league team has attracted.

"We're very excited about learning more," Abbott said.

Benny Aziz of Think Big Sacramento, the mayor's advisory committee, said the MLS delegation is expected to visit Elk Grove on Friday. City officials have launched their own bid for an MLS team and have purchased 100 acres of land for a possible stadium. But league observers say the MLS would prefer an urban location like Sacramento.

The MLS visit comes one day after Republic FC officials announced a plan to purchase land in the downtown railyard and released stadium drawings. The team also announced that developer Larry Kelley, who is buying the railyard from an Illinois real estate firm, has agreed to invest in Republic FC if the MLS bid is successful.

The MLS bid is being spearheaded by Republic FC founder Warren Smith and Nagle, a pharmaceutical executive and minority owner of the Kings.

The MLS visit is expected to include a glimpse of the new Kings arena taking shape at Downtown Plaza and a Friday morning trip to Bonney Field, Republic FC's current home at Cal Expo. Abbott said Altchek plans to attend the team's second-round playoff game Saturday night against L.A. Galaxy II.

Call The Bee’s Dale Kasler, (916) 321-1066. Follow him on Twitter @dakasler.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/18/6718284/republic-fc-fans-welcome-major.html#storylink=cpy

Gannicus

20,000 for matches easy, 30,000 if the stadium is built big enough. We think big in this part of the world.

It didn't come through in the post, but the rendering of the stadium is absolutely fantastic.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Red Bull are apparently interested in selling RBNY. Since there will be a club owned by City in New York already, maybe the Glazers will be interested? :lol:

We could send them Anderson on loan.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I remember him being hotly tipped when he was younger. It is only 3 DPs right? We'll have to get rid of Gilberto then.
Looks likely that Gilberto will be let go of. A shame, but hey, Giovinco's an upgrade anyways.

Am I the only one (along with my brother) who was super-shocked by this move? Giovinco would be a class player for tons of European teams, but he's coming here, to Toronto!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone watching this game on Sky Sports? NYC's kit makes me instantly loathe them. Looks like a great turn out in Orlando too

JB7

Been looking forward to this game for a while actually. Have watched Orlando 7 or 8 times when I've been on holiday there over the last 4/5 years, and have been looking out for their results ever since the first time I went to see them and was so pleased that they got into the MLS.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
feck NYC and Orlando (and LA/Seattle obviously). The Timbers really dropped 2 points last night, should have stuffed RSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.