The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m sure he prolly looks in tremendous shape. But Father Time is undefeated.
He looked great in his last fight and frankly Khabib would need to move up in weight to make such a fight, so it would probably take place at WW or some catchweight between WW and MW, which would add a completely different dynamic.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Umm, what did you expect when P4P goat talk comes up? These guys are fighters and self-promoters ffs. And there’s not much wrong with what Jones has said. It’s not like Khabib’s died.
It just shows his character that he goes off on one on twitter just a few days after “letting him have this one”

He is insecure and petty. Plenty of other fighters do it with class and are genuinely stand up guys. He has shown time and time again that he isn’t.

Let other people say it. The fact that you can’t wait a few days to start crying about it shows little character.

PED failures should exclude him from the conversation anyway, but that’s another story.

Oggmonster

Are people that bothered or interested in the GOAT stuff? :lol: its same as P4P rankings just a made up load of bollocks that actually means feck all

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are people that bothered or interested in the GOAT stuff? :lol: its same as P4P rankings just a made up load of bollocks that actually means feck all
Weird thing to say.

It's as old as combat sports since weight categorisations and means a lot, especially for people below HW/SHW as its the only way to claim they're the greatest.

Oggmonster

It seemed to matter to Khabib in his post fight interview.
Each to their own. I think its just a weird thing to be bothered about cos its basically made up.
Weird thing to say.

It's as old as combat sports since weight categorisations and means a lot, especially for people below HW/SHW as its the only way to claim they're the greatest.
Not that weird, plenty of fighters have said stuff like P4P and GOAT talk is a load of bollocks cos its purely fictitious. One of them things you can argue forever but will never even solve the debate cos the fights will never happen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Matters to Jon Jones. He had a proper meltdown over it.

Oggmonster

Matters to Jon Jones. He had a proper meltdown over it.
In fairness he lost the plot years ago so that one doesn't surprise me!

Fair enough if people are into it and stuff...just always thought it's a dead weird thing to be bothered about, think the same with boxing. Think the same when people compare teams in football from the 1950s etc to now. It's obviously a bit of a fun sometimes but people seem to get dead worked up over it as well!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Each to their own. I think its just a weird thing to be bothered about cos its basically made up.

Not that weird, plenty of fighters have said stuff like P4P and GOAT talk is a load of bollocks cos its purely fictitious. One of them things you can argue forever but will never even solve the debate cos the fights will never happen.
And plenty more take serious stock in it, particularly those who are eligible because there's no other way for them to get the full acknowledgement they feel they deserve.

Sugar Ray Robinson is acknowledged as the best boxer of all time for this very reason. If it wasn't for P4P, there's no way he would have anything like the fame and regard he had then and continues to have now as the pinnacle of what a boxer can be in terms of skill and ability.

MMA might be a fledgling sport, but the principles are exactly the same, and so they should be. You will note that it's fighters who aren't HW's that this is the bigger issue for.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
In fairness he lost the plot years ago so that one doesn't surprise me!

Fair enough if people are into it and stuff...just always thought it's a dead weird thing to be bothered about, think the same with boxing. Think the same when people compare teams in football from the 1950s etc to now. It's obviously a bit of a fun sometimes but people seem to get dead worked up over it as well!
It's something that matters to the athletes. Even in other industries, things like this matter. Greatest rap album of all time, greatest film of all time etc. It's hard to compare a film from the 1940s to a film of today but the arguement can still be made.

I guess for fans it's just a bit of fun.

Paxi

@Oggmonster for what its worth, I agree, I found it strange that Jones took it so badly. Its a pointless ranking as everyone has a different opinion on the matter anyway. And they way rankings are in UFC, it makes it even worse. Personally it wouldn't bother me but obviously some need their ego massaged on every possible level.

Paxi

@Dirty Schwein I am bit surprised that fighters want p4p rankings so badly. Or rappers want to brag about the best album or anything else really. Its usually left to punters to have an endless debate about which makes it more fun. I'm struggling to see a fighters perspective apart from having massive egos which bruise very easily.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Dirty Schwein I am bit surprised that fighters want p4p rankings so badly. Or rappers want to brag about the best album or anything else really. Its usually left to punters to have an endless debate about which makes it more fun. I'm struggling to see a fighters perspective apart from having massive egos which bruise very easily.
Acknowledgment of greatness is a real thing - it should affect the persons involved far more than anyone else as it's their legacy and body of work that is being put up to scrutiny against all who have gone before, and will come after them.

Heavyweights; fastest runners; biggest selling stars etc. get credit for simply being, but when all the nuance and technical aspects are factored in, we get a clear picture of what is what. Someone like Mighty Mouse has a right to be utterly pissed that his flawless ability is dismissed because he's 5'3" in a weight class people don't care about. For all intents and purposes, what he has done is majestic and only via P4P can it be given the accreditation it deserves. Same as low-selling, but highly skilled or brilliant artists or singers etc. Rakim is seen as the best rapper of all time by those who delve into the scene, for others, he is a non-entity because he didn't sell like far bigger names.

Jon Jones is at least a sociopath, but he has justifiable reason to be incensed that he is so easily put to the side by people who don't consider what he's done purely from the perspective of the octagon. I think a huge part of the reason he's going up in weight is to kill the discussion once and for all at in the weight class where you are the big dog, full-stop.

Oggmonster

And plenty more take serious stock in it, particularly those who are eligible because there's no other way for them to get the full acknowledgement they feel they deserve.

Sugar Ray Robinson is acknowledged as the best boxer of all time for this very reason. If it wasn't for P4P, there's no way he would have anything like the fame and regard he had then and continues to have now as the pinnacle of what a boxer can be in terms of skill and ability.

MMA might be a fledgling sport, but the principles are exactly the same, and so they should be. You will note that it's fighters who aren't HW's that this is the bigger issue for.
Yeah I get the logic in it, its just a bit daft for me I just honestly can't see why they're that bothered. I thought it when Khabib did his post fight interview when he mentioned it just wondered why he was arsed. Everyone knows he's an amazing fighter and everyone knew this before he wanted to be on the P4P list. I think my main problem is there is no end game, people will argue it till the end of time for essentially nothing.

Arguing a "P4P best" is basically you arguing who your favourite fighter is and the other person having another favourite so they say they're the best. Similar to Messi/Ronaldo etc just endless debates that tend to go nowhere cos no one will back down and why should they? Its made up!

It's something that matters to the athletes. Even in other industries, things like this matter. Greatest rap album of all time, greatest film of all time etc. It's hard to compare a film from the 1940s to a film of today but the arguement can still be made.

I guess for fans it's just a bit of fun.
True although I think then lists are a bit daft to! I also think it's a bit odd when people rank films etc out of 10 cos that's just a number plucked out the air. The only one can truly give is 10 being perfect

I would argue though its easier to compare songs/albums/films etc cos they can still be listened to or watched now and stand the test of time. Couldn't put Tyson in with Joshua now for example and they're both still great, albums etc are timeless people aren't. Do get your point though

Oggmonster

@Oggmonster for what its worth, I agree, I found it strange that Jones took it so badly. Its a pointless ranking as everyone has a different opinion on the matter anyway. And they way rankings are in UFC, it makes it even worse. Personally it wouldn't bother me but obviously some need their ego massaged on every possible level.
Yeah that's what I think it is. Seem sensitive souls these fighters!!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I get the logic in it, its just a bit daft for me I just honestly can't see why they're that bothered. I thought it when Khabib did his post fight interview when he mentioned it just wondered why he was arsed. Everyone knows he's an amazing fighter and everyone knew this before he wanted to be on the P4P list. I think my main problem is there is no end game, people will argue it till the end of time for essentially nothing.

Arguing a "P4P best" is basically you arguing who your favourite fighter is and the other person having another favourite so they say they're the best. Similar to Messi/Ronaldo etc just endless debates that tend to go nowhere cos no one will back down and why should they? Its made up!
If you're not a heavyweight, I think it's a preeminent thought for those who are truly the apex of their division. Mighty Mouse, Jones, Khabib, McGregor and many other champions have laid claim to the 'title' and value it dearly, and I honestly can understand why. It's a huge thing to be considered the best, outright; something bestowed upon the best of the best and the most unreachable of goals unless you were born to be a heavyweight, or sprinter, or forward/striker (basically anything that gives you far more plaudits by default than anybody else in your industry).

I know this talk far outstrips my lifetime, and has been a thing as far back as the 50's, so I am surprised that you'd raise it being as knowledgeable as you are about the sport - fighters are more precious about it than anyone else in sport! So it's part and parcel with the very, very best of them. Outside of heavyweights, there are very few of them who are apex fighters who will gladly play down their P4P standing.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Ugly knockout thing now, not really sure what happened there.

Any ideas? Was it the neck?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
He confirmed it was neck.

Luckily they showed the replay 200 times to figure what happened :nervous:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
By him continuing after the leg break was the worst thing for his legacy. Although I am sure his bank balance will disagree, but it’s just been a downward spiral and has certainly damaged his legacy, from the failed tests and the embarrassment in the cases which resulted and the lacklustre performances since.

After the leg break he could have retired as a legend but to see it wimper out like it has in recent years and now almost certainly on his way to Bellator to fight the other washed up fighters. It’s just not nice to see

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
By him continuing after the leg break was the worst thing for his legacy. Although I am sure his bank balance will disagree, but it’s just been a downward spiral and has certainly damaged his legacy, from the failed tests and the embarrassment in the cases which resulted and the lacklustre performances since.

After the leg break he could have retired as a legend but to see it wimper out like it has in recent years and now almost certainly on his way to Bellator to fight the other washed up fighters. It’s just not nice to see
Nah, his legacy is safely intact. 16 straight wins in the UFC speaks for itself.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Nah, his legacy is safely intact. 16 straight wins in the UFC speaks for itself.
Logic would dictate that it should be safe as houses, but it doesn’t always work like that. It is what sticks in peoples mind and they will remember the crushing lows just as much as the crazy highs, at least in the meantime.

A lot of channels and debate were made recently about GOAT and I didn’t see anyone vouching for Silva, and there really should have been. I think that speaks for itself. His stock has dropped a little and his legacy has been dampened just a bit.

Time will obviously correct it to a degree, but just how much will inevitably be decided by just how low he goes first.

Charlie Foley

Man, prior to that first Weidman fight, he's in the GOAT conversation (I don't think he's it, but he deserves to have his name mentioned). He went from 33-4 to 34-11 (and 1 NC because everyone was on all the drugs). Watching him fight was like watching Ronaldinho at Barcelona, how can what I'm seeing be real (the front kick vs Vitor is the equivalent of the goal vs Chelsea in 2005). Sad to see. Don't get cocky kids. Or if you're going to get cocky, do it against Forrest Griffin: you'll be a legend. The most condescending punch I've ever seen.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Man, prior to that first Weidman fight, he's in the GOAT conversation (I don't think he's it, but he deserves to have his name mentioned). He went from 33-4 to 34-11 (and 1 NC because everyone was on all the drugs). Watching him fight was like watching Ronaldinho at Barcelona, how can what I'm seeing be real (the front kick vs Vitor is the equivalent of the goal vs Chelsea in 2005). Sad to see. Don't get cocky kids. Or if you're going to get cocky, do it against Forrest Griffin: you'll be a legend. The most condescending punch I've ever seen.
Listening to Forrest Griffin talk about that fight makes me laugh every time...

"You slow slow white boy." :lol:

Charlie Foley

Listening to Forrest Griffin talk about that fight makes me laugh every time...

"You slow slow white boy." :lol:
:lol: :lol: “I tried to hit him, and he just moved his head out of the way and looked at me like I was stupid for even trying it” :lol::lol::lol: