The MMA thread

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Ah feck it I’m gutted, purely by how he lost. I saw a defeat if he caught him with a guillotine. But the manner of the loss is why I’m saying he is finished as far as top contender is concerned. 1st round he looked good going forward but was still taken down and on the ground for 2 mins. 2nd round albeit 1 or 2 shots he was dismantled.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I feel Chandler may get the shot vs Khabib - unless the latter decides to only come back to face the winner of Chandler/Poirier. But then that leaves Charles Oliveria out.

Difficult to know for sure how it'll play out.

Ladron de redcafe

Conor has very limited finishing power at LW it turns out. Kinda like Holloway when he moved up. He's fecked when these top LW's are eating his shots.
Yes, Dustin was taking his best shots and eating them, just as Khabib did in the 3rd round of their fight. When your punching power is your strength, having that attenuated is bad news.

Dustin was great. Kicks early on and then that flurry at the end to knock Conor out.

poleglass red

I think the fact he was calling out the likes of Diaz n al Quintia (sp) pre fight maybe he knew deep down.

Ladron de redcafe

I feel Chandler may get the shot vs Khabib - unless the latter decides to only come back to face the winner of Chandler/Poirier. But then that leaves Charles Oliveria out.

Difficult to know for sure how it'll play out.
Oliviera is going to be shafted, I'm afraid. I agree with you. I imagine that they'd do Chandler Vs Dustin.

Dana White's dream of a Khabib Vs Conor rematch is in ruins.

Sylar

Yah he's box office. But I think he's done now. What's his motivation? Must still be sitting on a fat pile of cash from the Mayweather fight.
MMA motivation?
Not much

Think he will focus on facing pacman and a YouTube guy

Ladron de redcafe

So Poirier v Chandler, who wins :) :)
I'm going with Poirier. As good as Chandler looked today, he hasn't been consistent in his past few fights. I just wonder how much of what we saw tonight was due to Hooker looking awful and being static, rather than Chandler's excellence.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Of course u can, throw kicks yourself for a start,he was too focused on boxing.
Thats not really part of Conor’s game. He did it against Alvarez but wouldn’t be able to get away with it against better fighters. He literally only has his punching to get him through fights.

predator

Youth NITK
How could anyone who has watched a substantial amount of ufc over the past few years actually think mcgregor would win tonight?

Against the likes of cerrone, Pettis or Barboza, yes.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
neither did i but the way he immediately took centre ring and had Hooker he looks a solid proposition at lightweight
I have been following him for a while, he is under Henry Hooft like Burns. Great fighter imo, great athlete, smart and incredible power. I guess he will fight Poirier for the title (Khabib is not going to come back)

Name Changed

weso26
Yes, Dustin was taking his best shots and eating them, just as Khabib did in the 3rd round of their fight. When your punching power is your strength, having that attenuated is bad news.

Dustin was great. Kicks early on and then that flurry at the end to knock Conor out.
Poirier was definitely wobbled a few times. McGregor does have power.

Has no cardio or a defence to calf kicks though.

justboy68

How could anyone who has watched a substantial amount of ufc over the past few years actually think mcgregor would win tonight?

Against the likes of cerrone, Pettis or Barboza, yes.
It's hardly ludicrous when he's knocked him out in the first round before is it.

Ladron de redcafe

Poirier was definitely wobbled a few times. McGregor does have power.

Has no cardio or a defence to calf kicks though.
Not enough to knock him out, which is what's key because Conor doesn't have the stamina for longer fights, as you pointed out. His main strategy is always the same. To blitz his opponent early and try to put him away. If he can't do that with these top LWs, then it's difficult to challenge.

Agree that he should have checked the kicks because when his lead leg was getting chopped, it meant he couldn't put as much power in His shots later on. The overhooks by Dustin in the first round were another good mood, as he squeezed and smothered Conor's upper body, to reduce that pop.

Name Changed

weso26
6 years ago. Connor is past it, has been for a while
I still can't understand how people can't spell Conor. Anyway how was he past it ? He lost twice since the Poirier fight. One against a huge Nate Diaz at 170 and the other again possibly the best of all time. He never looked past it until tonight.

justboy68

6 years ago. Connor is past it, has been for a while
There's plenty of reason to think Conor could have won this fight stylistically. He was a -300 favourite and yes lots of those people watch 'substantial amounts of mma' . So it's always tiresome when experts come out of the woodwork after the fact as if nothing else could ever have happened.

Deery

Dreary
I said before the fight Dustin looked the more ripped of the two Conor looked fleshy not surprised at the loss at all.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I still can't understand how people can't spell Conor. Anyway how was he past it ? He lost twice since the Poirier fight. One against a huge Nate Diaz at 170 and the other again possibly the best of all time. He never looked past it until tonight.
He retired 2 times, and came back 3. Others kept fighting and training and and that is difficult to make up. Then with his off field issues, did not help either

mu4c_20le

You forgot the draw with the old man in the pub

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There's plenty of reason to think Conor could have won this fight stylistically. He was a -300 favourite and yes lots of those people watch 'substantial amounts of mma' . So it's always tiresome when experts come out of the woodwork after the fact as if nothing else could ever have happened.
I always said Dustin will win and I doubt Conor would against a top 5 fighter anymore. Tonight, he did not have enough to trouble Dustin, Chandler would knock him out too, Oliveira make him tap and Gaethje would beat him too