The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So, if Chinaev fights Usman in late 22/early 23, who wins?
That would mean that Chimaev beats Covington (assuming that fight actually happens). If he does beat Colby that would put make him a serious threat to Usman imo.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
That would mean that Chimaev beats Covington (assuming that fight actually happens). If he does beat Colby that would put make him a serious threat to Usman imo.
Same. I don’t personally buy Usman being a WW goat contender, I think he’s benefitted from a lack of real top quality opposition during his reign. I fancy Chimaev in a year or so to test him beyond anyone he’s faced to date

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Totally agree, he's clearly a top fighter but before this fight it was easy to get sucked into the belief he was on a level above and was just going to mop up the division before moving up and looking to become champ champ (even 3x champ some said).

After watching that his peers will be happy to see he looks tough but not unbeatable, now of course he could still go on to win championships and fully expect him to at some point but I also expect it'll be less straightforward than I previously thought.
I broadly agree - Chimaev was spoken of like a Jones-level prodigy and threat (his age accepted), but that’s not the reality - he looks like a very good contender, but not some levels up on what’s already in the division, in fact, you can look at the fight and see inlets that didn’t exist before because he had obliterated the opponents he had faced. It’s a massive achievement to be a nobody and catapult yourself so high up the division in so few fights, but it’s clear he’s now in the pack and not above or ahead of it, which was assumed by some prior to the bout.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him become a champion, in fact, if he has growth in him, it’s probably a given, but he isn’t that finished article yet, which is different to how he was perceived.

It was also a 3-round contest at high output; the champion and #1 guy do that, and more, for 5 rounds, so we’ll see what he makes of that when the time comes because he didn’t show ring smarts as excited as he was to be in the setting he was. It’s perfectly understandable, but he isn’t the polished, unblemished gem he was put forth as.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’ll say right now Chimaev by UD if not stoppage. Imho Burns is far more dangerous on his feet than Colby and I think Chimaev will be too big for Colby to fight comfortably on the deck (as well as being a bloody good wrestler). Nobody really believed that boogieman, never-been-touched stuff….the reality is he’s incredibly green at this level, to be fighting the no2 rank. He’ll have learned a huge amount from that fight (his corner gave him a right bollocking at the end of R2), and we learned that he’s got a decent chin, the hook he took at the end of R2 would have sent most people to the shadow realm.
You’re right the fight humanised him….but I was still pretty impressed with the ‘human’ version
We’ll, it’d certainly be an interesting contest because Chimaev clearly has KO power in his strikes where Colby doesn’t, but Colby is not going to have those huge gaps in output that Burns did at any time in the the fight. Those breathers of Burns benefitted Chimaev as he could also catch some air - there is no such window vs Colvington. I agree regarding the grappling, but even if we don’t talk about strength, we have to talk about pedigree and technique, which Covington has in spades. Chimaev’s literal strength mightn’t be important if he can’t keep up with Colvingtons’s wrestling pace, chains and raw output combined with the clean execution.

I hope I’m not misconstrued here as I was very impressed with what he did last night, just feel there’s perspective now where previously there was none.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think there are people underrating both Colby and the most boring man in MMA, Usman. They are both a level above Burns (as tough as he is)

Their cardio is insane and there is no letup. Usman has everything Colby has in that regard, but he is bigger, stronger and can knock you out.

Chimaev is a work in progress and isn’t ready for a complete fighter like Usman in my opinion.

redom

I broadly agree - Chimaev was spoken of like a Jones-level prodigy and threat (his age accepted), but that’s not the reality - he looks like a very good contender, but not some levels up on what’s already in the division, in fact, you can look at the fight and see inlets that didn’t exist before because he had obliterated the opponents he had faced. It’s a massive achievement to be a nobody and catapult yourself so high up the division in so few fights, but it’s clear he’s now in the pack and not above or ahead of it, which was assumed by some prior to the bout.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him become a champion, in fact, if he has growth in him, it’s probably a given, but he isn’t that finished article yet, which is different to how he was perceived.

It was also a 3-round contest at high output; the champion and #1 guy do that, and more, for 5 rounds, so we’ll see what he makes of that when the time comes because he didn’t show ring smarts as excited as he was to be in the setting he was. It’s perfectly understandable, but he isn’t the polished, unblemished gem he was put forth as.
I was actually quite surprised to see how much the occasion seemed to get to him before the fight, the whole running to the octagon and the way he was behaving suggested he had a lot of nervous/pent up energy, I suppose it makes sense though as I think this was his first fight in front of a proper crowd in the UFC and he's facing the number 2 guy in the division with huge expectations placed on him. If he does fight Colby next it's highly likely it'll be a five rounder so he'll have to manage his energy expenditure a lot better because Colby will fancy his chances to wear on his gas tank and grind out a decision.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I was actually quite surprised to see how much the occasion seemed to get to him before the fight, the whole running to the octagon and the way he was behaving suggested he had a lot of nervous/pent up energy, I suppose it makes sense though as I think this was his first fight in front of a proper crowd in the UFC and he's facing the number 2 guy in the division with huge expectations placed on him. If he does fight Colby next it's highly likely it'll be a five rounder so he'll have to manage his energy expenditure a lot better because Colby will fancy his chances to wear on his gas tank and grind out a decision.
Yes and Colby is a tactician who reads his opponent, not a war machine or someone who puts pride before victory (he’s there to get the job done in the most efficient manner), which presents a different set of problems for someone so wet behind the ears who is still excitable enough to forgo his corner’s plan in favour of having an all-out scrap.

It’s highly entertaining, of course, but the next level above Burns are mature, considered fighters who are at the stage of their careers where they are refining their game and adding to already padded out bases; Chimaev is very raw and naive by contrast, which is totally understandable.

ZupZup

From watching the fight last night I’d have to favour Usman over Chimaev at this point… because Usman’s stand up is excellent now and Chimaev was far too hittable against Burns.

Colby has amazing cardio and a great chin, but lacks power. It’s an interesting fight with Chimaev and hard to call at this stage. I’d probably edge it to Chimaev with no confidence whatsoever.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I thought Yan should have nicked them fight, I'll have to go back and watch it again but I thought he edged an uneventful opening round. The others were pretty easy to score two apiece. Sterling was masterful at points with the back control but overall he didn't offer much other than constantly shooting for takedowns and a lot of that were easily dealt with as he did nothing to set them up and telegraphed them.
I thought that fight was a great draw. With Sterling possibly getting 10-8 in round 2.

Chimaev remind me of McGregor. Burst into the scene, destroyed some guys and then was made to look human against a top contender (Burns, Mini Mendes). Let's see if Chimaev can defeat a dominating champ though...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Same. I don’t personally buy Usman being a WW goat contender, I think he’s benefitted from a lack of real top quality opposition during his reign. I fancy Chimaev in a year or so to test him beyond anyone he’s faced to date
Usman has done as well as one could possibly do as champ. He's mowed down everyone placed before him with relative ease. That said, he's in his mid 30s now at a time when Chimaev is just coming into his own. It would be a pretty good fight imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I thought that fight was a great draw. With Sterling possibly getting 10-8 in round 2.

Chimaev remind me of McGregor. Burst into the scene, destroyed some guys and then was made to look human against a top contender (Burns, Mini Mendes). Let's see if Chimaev can defeat a dominating champ though...
Except that Conor was already near the top of the division when he fought Mendes. Chimaev only started fighting in the UFC during COVID. I think he's proven in beating Burns, that he's not some random upstart being hyped by the UFC. He is a legitimate contender who is one fight off from fighting for the belt.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Except that Conor was already near the top of the division when he fought Mendes. Chimaev only started fighting in the UFC during COVID. I think he's proven in beating Burns, that he's not some random upstart being hyped by the UFC. He is a legitimate contender who is one fight off from fighting for the belt.
True. Really looking forward to him facing Chaos. Although the build up will do my head in

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cerudo's words are the ones to listen to.
I just don't understand the "Chimaev was humbled" narrative. The guy was literally a nobody two years ago and just beat the #2 guy in the division. No one expected him to dominate Burns, so its a bit strange hearing some of these monday morning pundits suggest this was a hollow victory for Chimaev. The reality is it was a tremendous accomplishment given that no one had heard of him before the pandemic, and he is now one fight away from fighting for the belt.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sounds like Rogan rambling about nothing to me.

The big takeaway from the weekend is that a guy who just joined the UFC in 2020 just beat the #2 contender in his division.
I was impressed by Chimaev, even though everyone knows it we don't mention enough the fact that Burns is arguably the best grappler in the UFC, he is an active elite professional grappler. So whoever gets into the ring and manages to not be dominated on the ground and manages to control the fight, control the octagon, deserves respect.

Chimaev showed that he was the real deal, he is close to Burns and maybe close to Covington but these are among the very best fighters in the UFC all divisions considered.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I just don't understand the "Chimaev was humbled" narrative. The guy was literally a nobody two years ago and just beat the #2 guy in the division. No one expected him to dominate Burns, so its a bit strange hearing some of these monday morning pundits suggest this was a hollow victory for Chimaev. The reality is it was a tremendous accomplishment given that no one had heard of him before the pandemic, and he is now one fight away from fighting for the belt.
I don't think they're playing him down, rather assessing him as a whole entity as opposed to the enigma and sure thing he was before this fight.
There wasn't any really opportunity to do so before the bout with Burns.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Tonight we have the phenom Aj Mckee (c) vs Patricio Pitbull 2.

Also Vadim Nemkov (c) vs Corey Anderson for the belt and 1 million dollar!!

Prelims live on YouTube now.

George Owen

Man, poor Corey Anderson. Was firmly on route to get that million dollar. Had Nemkov already broken, and decides to jump head first onto Nemkov, headbutting him and cutting him up, stopping the fight. No contest.

Corey actually thought for like 4 minutes that he had won the fight and that he was a millionaire. Until he was told... he was pissed as feck. Threw the water bottle into the cage...

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People maybe dont like Usmans personality but as a fighter he is top. Lets see who can beat him, Khamzats advantage is age but I doubt he beats Usman anytime soon

Luke1995

@Luke1995 Also Aaron Pico fighting tonight :drool:

Main card starts in 20 minutes.
His evolution has been very good. Before he would always strike until knocking the opponent out or going out himself.

The wrestling mix-up is a really solid addition. He's still so young so will probably end up in the UFC someday.

George Owen

I still stand by what I said.

I thought the judges got that fight wrong. But it was a close one. And his potential is still big.
Yeah. Wasn't the best fight, but AJ won it in my card. 1st, 4th and 5th were clear for AJ. Judges were on crack.

Anyway, AJ has been talking about going up to LW because the cut to 145 have become too taxing. Might be why he wasn't at his best.

Last edited: