The MMA thread

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Surprising he couldn't make the extra 1/2 lb in an hour, I thought maybe his own teams' scales were probably just a bit off, but looks like the weight was a real struggle.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Surprising he couldn't make the extra 1/2 lb in an hour, I thought maybe his own teams' scales were probably just a bit off, but looks like the weight was a real struggle.
Someone else put up that the actual scales were off and should've been recalibrated.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't keep up with the UFC as much as I'd like... but they're still wheeling out Shogun Rua on the main card of big shows?

What year is it? :lol:

Luke1995

Doesn't matter. Gaethje will win and the show will go on. I don't see how Oliveira can beat him. Gaethje is way too tough and way too skilled on the feet.

Before he was a bit of a wild man, but now, with his new style, I think only Khabib and Makkachev can beat him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Doesn't matter. Gaethje will win and the show will go on. I don't see how Oliveira can beat him. Gaethje is way too tough and way too skilled on the feet.

Before he was a bit of a wild man, but now, with his new style, I think only Khabib and Makkachev can beat him.
Charles just made short work of Poirier, and you don’t think he can beat Gaethje ?

Luke1995

Charles just made short work of Poirier, and you don’t think he can beat Gaethje ?
I think Gaethje is more powerful than Poirier. I know Poirier beat Gaethje but mma math doesn't always work.

I don't think Charles has quite faced someone with Gaethje's striking.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Gaethje is more powerful than Poirier. I know Poirier beat Gaethje but mma math doesn't always work.

I don't think Charles has quite faced someone with Gaethje's striking.
Khabib faced both and dispatched both with comparable ease. I think Charles will do the same

JP77

I’m surprised quite a few online are turning against Olivera over this and wanting him to lose now. It’s not like he missed weight by 5lb, it’s .5lb, about as fine of a margin as you can get really. It’s really not going to have a psychical effect on the fight what so ever. Isn’t the first time it’s happened at the top level and won’t be the last. If he was a few lbs over and came across as unprofessional then I’d understand. He used to have an issue with this but pretty sure he hasn’t missed weight in 5-6 years now.

redom

Such a shame this whole scale/missed weight fiasco is going to cast a shadow over what should be a fantastic fight. It's scary for Charles because he's been clipped in his recent fights and that was already a warning sign going into a fight against Justin and now he's had to put extra strain on his body to try and lose that last bit of weight I wonder if it'll impact his ability to bounce back like he's done to both win and defend the belt, seeing Gaethje post that he was already 165 while Oliveira was still trying to make weight has to be a sizeable advantage to Justin.

SirAnderson

Just saw he didn't make weight. Doesn't change anything for me, he wins, it just means we going to have another big clash for him against whoever for the vacant title, he loses, he will have a rematch against Justin to try win it back.
Win win for the fans.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Just saw he didn't make weight. Doesn't change anything for me, he wins, it just means we going to have another big clash for him against whoever for the vacant title, he loses, he will have a rematch against Justin to try win it back.
Win win for the fans.
I really doubt he'll get a rematch if he loses. He'd need a couple of wins to earn one again.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
You think so? I personally see an immediate rematch, especially with the weight cut issue now.
But the again, there's a few guys below that's been knocking, so probably fair to give them a shot.
Mackachev can't be denied any longer. If Justin wins, he for sure would lose the belt right away to Islam next.

And Charles would have to fight someone like Beneil Dariush.

Hopefully Charles wins tonight though.

SirAnderson

I'm in a pickle, watch to watch Celtics v Bucks cause it's in normal time for a change, but then I'll be knackered and won't be able to watch this entire card, just wake up for the title fights.

Luke1995

Khabib faced both and dispatched both with comparable ease. I think Charles will do the same
Maybe he will. Either way, the division remains the most exciting in the UFC.

If Gaethje wins, I would like to see a Michael Chandler rematch, and if Charles win, just do the Mcgregor fight. I think there's a good chance Charles would tap out Conor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Maybe he will. Either way, the division remains the most exciting in the UFC.

If Gaethje wins, I would like to see a Michael Chandler rematch, and if Charles win, just do the Mcgregor fight. I think there's a good chance Charles would tap out Conor.
I'm sure both Charles and Conor would love that, although no one in their right mind thinks Conor would be deserving of a title shot after having lost 3 of his last 4 fights at LW.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Mackachev can't be denied any longer. If Justin wins, he for sure would lose the belt right away to Islam next.

And Charles would have to fight someone like Beneil Dariush.

Hopefully Charles wins tonight though.
I'm not entirely sure about that. Makhachev js good but make no mistake he's no Khabib.

Gaethje was a D1 All American and has great takedown defense, and Islam has had his lights switched off before.

Luke1995

I'm sure both Charles and Conor would love that, although no one in their right mind thinks Conor would be deserving of a title shot after having lost 3 of his last 4 fights at LW.
Just to clear things up, Conor is absolutely not deserving of a title fight. I just would have fun seeing Oliveira submit him.

On the other hand, it's not like he deserved a shot at Eddie Alvarez's title either, but I don't think the UFC and specially Endeavor, cares...

SuperiorXI

Gonna try stay up for this, don't watch UFC religiously but is this gonna be a good card? Used to love watching Ferguson but last time I watched him he seemed washed up...

SirAnderson

So disappointed that Dricus Du Plessis still hasn't got a fight booked yet after the last one fell through, would have thought this would be a perfect card to slot him in.
Edit: nevermind see he's scheduled to fight ufc 276 in July.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
So disappointed that Dricus Du Plessis still hasn't got a fight booked yet after the last one fell through, would have thought this would be a perfect card to slot him in.
A lot of bad luck involved.

He had a fight booked, but then decided to cancel that fight in order to fight Gastelum on short notice. Gastelum eventually stepped down and they couldn't find him more opponents.

He is booked now though. Gonna fight Brad Tavares on UFC276.

SirAnderson

A lot of bad luck involved.

He had a fight booked, but then decided to cancel that fight in order to fight Gastelum on short notice. Gastelum eventually stepped down and they couldn't find him more opponents.

He is booked now though. Gonna fight Brad Tavares on UFC276.
Yeah I looked it up after I posted, I remember the cancelled fight against Gastelum, was gutted it got cancelled also. Been waiting forever to watch him again.
July it is then. :drool: