The MMA thread

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People say Khabib is boring but I found his style very entertaining. Maybe who he was facing factored into that but I'll definitely be looking out for his next fight.
If you like grappling he is the best to watch, his technique is near perfection.

Eire Red United

Well done to Khabib for the fight, but he should have left it at that, he destroyed McGregor, but now the fight won’t be remembered for his win but for the afters. The fella in red hopping into the ring is a cowardly scumbag.

Dominos

Chael made a comment on this in the build up and about how we've see this fight 2 times already this year in Miocic v Ngannou and Till v Woodley. There'll only be 1 winner.
That's a false narrative really. Woodley couldn't take Till down in several attempts, Till's defence was too good and he's one of the rare welterweights who could match Woodley's strength.

Woodley knocked him down with a punch, otherwise he wasn't getting that fight to the ground.

No Love

I don’t care how many times it has burnt me before, I still need to see Khabib vs Ferguson.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

:lol:

I really hope Khabib don't get striped of his belt, and hopefully he just gets to pay a fine with no suspension.

Khabib vs Tony needs to happen next.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
This fight ended how it was build up. At this point of time there is no value in pointing fingers. As of now Khabib hasnt been payed. The most likely scenario is that Khabib will be fined. The members who attacked Conor could potentially be cut.

There least likely option is a long suspension simply because that would expose the double standard. Conor's list of hittting a referee and the infamous bus incident werent fined either or met with a long suspension.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don’t care how many times it has burnt me before, I still need to see Khabib vs Ferguson.
I really like watching Ferguson, think his style is so entertaining and unique. I can't help thinking it would end up going the same way though, as in he'd get dragged to the ground and battered

LazyRed-Ninja

:lol:

I really hope Khabib don't get striped of his belt, and hopefully he just gets to pay a fine with no suspension.

Khabib vs Tony needs to happen next.
Only the UFC has the authority to strip a fighter. If they would go that route they would lose a lot or credibility considering how much conor has done in the past.

LazyRed-Ninja

This fight ended how it was build up. At this point of time there is no value in pointing fingers. As of now Khabib hasnt been payed. The most likely scenario is that Khabib will be fined. The members who attacked Conor could potentially be cut.

There least likely option is a long suspension simply because that would expose the double standard. Conor's list of hittting a referee and the infamous bus incident werent fined either or met with a long suspension.[/ QUOTE]

The only difference here is that Tony is a legit Eddie Bravo ten planet black belt. It would be the most logical match up next for Khabib at this point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I really like watching Ferguson, think his style is so entertaining and unique. I can't help thinking it would end up going the same way though, as in he'd get dragged to the ground and battered
Would be a completely different fight as Tony is a complete fighter in the Jon Jones vein. Ferguson is far better on the ground than Conor and would be able to wiggle free and do a bit of elbow work from his own back.

Name Changed

weso26
Wait. So Paul Daley was never allowed to fight in the UFC again because Dana was so disgusted by his post fight punch against Koscheck (it didn’t even connect). Yet Khabib might get away without a ban for that.

There is no defence for him. Religion, family, country. It really doesn’t matter. Things like that are said all the time before fights.
Let's call a spade a spade. Who gives a shit about Paul Daley? It's all about the money.

Andersons Dietician

GSP is too big and would win easily - not because he's a better grappler but because he's an all around better fighter.
Remember Kahbib walks around at about 200lbs and is supposedly the best wrestler at AKA. A gym that has DC in it. He also apparently man handles some of the best college wrestlers in America.

Both are 5ft 10 and here is a vid if you skip to 5mins 40 with the two of them together. Bare in mind this is when Kahbib pulled out for almost dying trying to get to 155 and GSP not needing to really diet or cut to be at 170. There isn’t that much size between them but yeah GSP is the better all rounder and as far as elite hug rests go this is one i’d be intrigued to see.

Edit, actually perfect thumbnail cover :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Remember Kahbib walks around at about 200lbs and is supposedly the best wrestler at AKA. A gym that has DC in it. He also apparently man handles some of the best college wrestlers in America.

Both are 5ft 10 and here is a vid if you skip to 5mins 40 with the two of them together. Bare in mind this is when Kahbib pulled out for almost dying trying to get to 155 and GSP not needing to really diet or cut to be at 170. There isn’t that much size between them but yeah GSP is the better all rounder and as far as elite hug rests go this is one i’d be intrigued to see.

Edit, actually perfect thumbnail cover :lol:
I seriously doubt Khabib walks around at 200. 180 maybe

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

There least likely option is a long suspension simply because that would expose the double standard. Conor's list of hittting a referee and the infamous bus incident werent fined either or met with a long suspension.
Different situations with different parties involved I think?

By which I mean in McGregor's case it was the UFC who could have suspended him whereas in Khabib's case it's the Nevada state commission isn't it? And while they are invested in the situation in so far as suspending him might cost them money, they aren't quite as invested as the UFC are in McGregor and unlikely to show the same leniency as a result. There's no reason that a different standard wouldn't apply, especially as the sport is often inherently unfair in that way. Plus the reality is that Khabib's actions prompted a danger to those in attendance in a way that McGregor's didn't. I would suspect that the commission will take an ill view of that.

I would expect some sort of suspension anyway but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a relatively long one.

Andersons Dietician

It’s always been mentioned how much he cuts and that he is around 200 when not in fight camp, it’s why he has always struggled with cuts and a supposed lack of proffesionalism eating cakes and stuff whilst in camp.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s always been mentioned how much he cuts and that he is around 200 when not in fight camp, it’s why he has always struggled with cuts and a supposed lack of proffesionalism eating cakes and stuff whilst in camp.
That’s far too much as he would need to lose about a quarter of his body weight to make 155. A 5’10 guy who walks around at 200 looks far bigger that Khabib does when he’s not fighting.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
As long as the Grappler has a solid chin and can fight on his feet, the boxers are in big trouble. It's also the case with Cormier.
Yeah pretty much. A great wrestler usually beats a great boxer.

Charlie Foley

Everyone I've heard talk about it says 200.
He also came into this fight camp at 176 I believe, which was noteworthy as how exceptionally low it was for him-an indication of his intensity for this fight. That wouldn't make sense if he was walking around at 180.

If he's walking around at 180 his struggles to reach 155 wouldn't make sense

Nucks

RT History Department
How many neck cranks have you felt from Khabib?

Always amazes me how many people mock pro-fighters for tapping. Show me a BJJ black belt and I'll show you someone who has tapped about a million times.
I'd tap instantly, but I'm not a professional fighter.

A neck crank is a pain submission. It hurts. It doesn't strangle you. It doesn't tear or dislocate anything. Tapping to a neck crank, is like tapping to a can opener. It shows that you're either a complete novice, a quitter, or completely overmatched by someone who outweighs you by 60-100 pounds.

When is the last time someone legitimately tapped to a neck crank in a high level fight? Did Story tap to Maia when his nose exploded? I don't remember, but his nose did get crushed. Nothing bad was happening to Conor but some significant discomfort.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
That’s far too much as he would need to lose about a quarter of his body weight to make 155. A 5’10 guy who walks around at 200 looks far bigger that Khabib does when he’s not fighting.
He walks at around 185-190 or something like that. Woodley walks at around 200 and he's visibly bigger, Bisping around 205.

After Khabib beats Ferguson, I hope he has a superfight with Woodley, I just don't see any lightweights beating him but Woodley at 170 is a whole different level.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He walks at around 185-190 or something like that. Woodley walks at around 200 and he's visibly bigger, Bisping around 205.

After Khabib beats Ferguson, I hope he has a superfight with Woodley, I just don't see any lightweights beating him but Woodley at 170 is a whole different level.
Agreed. Khabib looks significantly smaller than GSP when he fought Bisping.

Nucks

RT History Department
Khabib's better than expected striking was a surprise. As was Conor's fear/preoccupation of being taken down ... to the point where it disrupted his own ability to utilize his striking to hurt Khabib.
Khabibs hand speed took me, and conor, by surprise. He threw a few right handers that were absolute lasers, faster than anything Conor threw all night. I wonder where that came from, if he's always had it, or if he was just so amped up for the fight he found an extra gear.

Andersons Dietician

Hence why people always gave him stick, it would also explain why he can supposedly hang/best guys like DC, Cain and Luke Rockhold in sparring. There are actually videos of him wrestling DC out of camp and he really looks quite big and puffy. Kahbib is bigger than a lot of people think.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Khabibs hand speed took me, and conor, by surprise. He threw a few right handers that were absolute lasers, faster than anything Conor threw all night. I wonder where that came from, if he's always had it, or if he was just so amped up for the fight he found an extra gear.
He has shown it in his last fights, he is a solid striker and has some weight behind them.

Andersons Dietician

How many neck cranks have you felt from Khabib?

Always amazes me how many people mock pro-fighters for tapping. Show me a BJJ black belt and I'll show you someone who has tapped about a million times.
I roll with a mate occasionally who teaches, competes, is a black belt and when he puts a squeeze on you it feels like my jaw is away to shatter and that my eyes will shoot out of my head. He somehow also manages to get me to tap to chokes that I don’t even really think are around my neck properly. Some people just have that Anaconda like squeeze and it’s horrible.

Standard silly hardmen acting like they wouldn’t be crying for their mammy.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
i love the idea that, as hard as Khabib is, he’s got a bit of a weakness for cakes :lol:
Makes me feel a lot better about myself

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What Khabib did, makes him even more legendary.
Actually think it takes away from his status. Everyone is talking about the brawl rather than him murdering McGregor in yet another undefeated fight. The latter should be a much bigger deal.

Name Changed

weso26
Or conversely, these fighters maybe shouldn't be a part of the UFC if they can't take a bit of hype and banter in the lead ups to their fights.
Exactly. Conor knows feck all about politics or anything like that. He was simply selling the fight, doing his job in effect. If the UFC were unhappy with him saying shit like that they would have stopped him years ago. If it wasn't for Conor promoting (even if he did a lot less than usual) then the UFC wouldn't make the numbers. Khabib wouldn't have made the 2 million that is being reported. Don't get me wrong Conor is a complete gimp, but Khabib needs to cop on and realise what it is

Nucks

RT History Department
I believe the rumors were, he used to balloon up to 190-200.

He has since cleaned up his nutrition, and he now gets up to over 180. When he was going ham on tiramisu between fights, he was getting way to heavy to effectively cut his weight.