The MMA thread

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I reckon usman might win on the cards. But damn i wish he could knock tf out of colby

JP77

Great fight, if there's ever one they need to run back it's that one. I probably had it about level, very close rounds going into the 5th.

Ridiculous antics and even if you hate him, people need to respect Covington as a fighter. Dude has a brilliant chin and has proven he's a top level fighter. You either root for him or crave to see him get knocked out. That's a great thing to have tbh. Ridiculously close fight, early stoppage for me IMO as he was genuinley trying to defend himself at the time. A second fight surely has to happen.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Usman won by stoppage, and he did a number on covington. His face was broken into a million pieces by the end. Fight might have looked close and even been close on the cards but there's no doubt Kamaru was doing faaaar more damage

Broke colby's jaw too, apparently

I don't need to see a second fight to know Usman is the better fighter and i don't see it going any different

That said, it was a great fight and covington got broken down. So yeah, i'd watch the hell out of a rematch :lol:

JP77

Usman won by stoppage, and he did a number on covington. His face was broken into a million pieces by the end. Fight might have looked close and even been close on the cards but there's no doubt Kamaru was doing faaaar more damage

Broke colby's jaw too, apparently

I don't need to see a second fight to know Usman is the better fighter and i don't see it going any different

That said, it was a great fight and covington got broken down. So yeah, i'd watch the hell out of a rematch :lol:
They were both doing damage. Both were hurt at times on the fight. Usman is a top level fighter and so is Covington. We're talking about two seriously quality fighters here, the disrespect Covington gets as a fighter because people think he's an asshole is just getting silly at this point. He has a hole or two in his game and he's not unbeatable as shown tonight but the dude is still ridiculously good and his chin is ridiculous considering the shots he took and how he continued with an apparent broken jaw.

That was a great fight from start to finish and close no matter what anybody says. Nobody dominated that fight. They 100% should run that one back, brilliant fight and great rivalry. Quite clear that both were on edge with emotions too. I'd love to see how a second fight would go. Quite amazing that neither attempted a single takedown in the fight and just slung it out.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not denying Convington is good, but the result of this fight was pretty definitive to me. Unless Covington comes with a completely different gameplan, i don't see how he can possibly win. Standing up Usman is plain better, and proved it

But then, this was two wrestlers who choose to stand up and bang for 5 rounds...

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Does anyone know a place i can watch the main card now? Wasn't able to sit up last night.

*trying to not read the thread first*

predator

Youth NITK
Colbys persona as of late is contrived to sell fights. The hate he receives is fantastic for him and his career. He's played so many people its borderline genius. You are witnessing an act.

I kinda wished they both hugged it out and paid respect afterwards because that was one hell of a fight. It was very very close.

It annoys me when such a close contested, competetitive, marginally defined fight becomes a soap opera.

Edit: I know there was bad blood between them prior to the fight but as a fan I have nothing but admiration and respect to the pair of them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Feck that. If you chose your persona to be a raging, racist arsehole, feck you. I don't care that it's a persona

Feck him, and good riddance

Thank you Kamaru

kidbob

Just seen the main event now. Great fight, both showed great heart. However it was amateur in terms of striking. The only reason it was so exciting is because neither has any idea on how to defend themselves. Take Khabib: his offensive striking is meh but the guy has really solid defensive fundamentals. Glad to see Colby finished because even if it's a character you lose all respect when going after a dead coach like that.

Edwards deserves the next shot but it will be Masvidal if Nick doesn't come back. I'd personally love to see Wonderboy work his way back up and be champion simply because he's an awesome fighter without being a prick. Sad to see Max lose but happy for Volk because he seems sound.

Nunes would never beat De Randamie in striking, except for a flash KO, so was right to play the fight like that. It's MMA afterall and she showed why she's the GOAT women's fighter because unlike Rhonda see can actually adapt.

Finally had Aldo winning personally but not a robbery either way.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Feck that. If you chose your persona to be a raging, racist arsehole, feck you. I don't care that it's a persona

Thank you Kamaru
I mean, I dunno. He's basically a wrestling heel at this point it's so blatant. He even comes out to Kurt Angle music.

Don't get me wrong. Seeing him get his face punched in was quite satisfying, but that was part of the draw. Wanting to see him get his face punched in makes people watch the fight. You kind of need the odd idiot/clown act, otherwise it's just a bunch of blokes fighting each other and no reason to care who wins.

Also I don't get how it was an early stoppage. Covington might have been (sort of) covering up, but he was so clearly finished. The rest of the round was just going to be him getting punched in his already destroyed face over and over until it was no longer "too early" to stop it...although actually it's arguable whether that's a bad thing.

I did think it was really close up until that point as well. Usman looked better for a lot of it but Covington kept getting some big shots in. Other than the third round I think you could have called the others either way.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Thank you Kamaru
Yep.

I fully understand that his persona was an act to get attention and it worked well. It was a good business decision so I'm sure he doesn't regret it.

However, part of the deal when you play that game is that when you lose people will slaughter you. They're absolutely entitled to dislike you for the things you chose to say, act or not.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The thing about Colby is people now know he's a great fighter, so he can drop the MAGA routine and get back to ordinary fighting.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I dont know why some people are saying early stoppage apart from wanting Colby to get more punishment. We've seen the judges score cards, it was 3-1 Usman, 3-1 Colby and 2-2. Based on the two knockdowns, Usman was 100% gonna win that fight.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The thing about Colby is people now know he's a great fighter, so he can drop the MAGA routine and get back to ordinary fighting.
Like any great heel, he can double down on his position and say he was robbed via early stoppage and ham that up. It all comes down to what the numbers were and how Dana and co. see it now that they have no reason to indulge him if they don't want to.

Heel, heel, maybe heel again and then redemption. Etc. Etc. Just a good old WWE script, which is Colby's playbook up to now.

Oggmonster

Thank you Kamaru
Agree

Don't get this "it's an act and it works people are tuning in cos of it" do his fights do big numbers? I think the people who watch would watch regardless

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Agree

Don't get this "it's an act and it works people are tuning in cos of it" do his fights do big numbers? I think the people who watch would watch regardless
Funny thing is, this thread exemplifies what his persona has brought him, and without said persona, there would be a fraction of the interest in him and I doubt he'd have got high profile fights so soon, either.

People demonstrate their susceptibility to the hustle and no doubt tune in in droves in the hope he gets his head caved in. Perfect.

Oggmonster

Funny thing is, this thread exemplifies what his persona has brought him, and without said persona, there would be a fraction of the interest in him and I doubt he'd have got high profile fights so soon, either.

People demonstrate their susceptibility to the hustle and no doubt tune in in droves in the hope he gets his head caved in. Perfect.
I think this thread would watch regardless as we are all big fans. It's the Mayweather effect he lacks i.e. people who don't watch boxing watch him. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone outside of MMA even knows who Colby is.

I and everyone else is perfectly aware it's an act but he's said some pretty awful stuff and just cos it's an act he's still a wanker.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I do feel there are more eyes on him now even from the hardcore base. Sure, we'd all watch this fight regardless as it's a title fight but would we have turned into some of his other fights without his antics? Probably not... he'd be in the same position as someone like Corey Anderson.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think this thread would watch regardless as we are all big fans. It's the Mayweather effect he lacks i.e. people who don't watch boxing watch him. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone outside of MMA even knows who Colby is.

I and everyone else is perfectly aware it's an act but he's said some pretty awful stuff and just cos it's an act he's still a wanker.
@Dirty Schwein mirrors my thoughts on this; Colvington wouldn't have got elevated to belt contention (one he held or the actual belt) without his schtick, so, no, we wouldn't have been tuning into watch him vs Usman because he wouldn't have been fast-tracked.

His conduct has been appalling, but it ultimately got him where he needed to be, and has no doubt boosted his bank balance far beyond what it would be otherwise, and still, there's plenty of life left in being the heel everyone who is not aligned to his views loves to hate.

I don't think he's as unknown as you do - spouting that maga nonsense and having the president tweet about you is going to raise your profile even amongst those with no interest in the UFC.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Great card that - all the way up from the prelims.

Volk impressed me big time. I like his style and he's gained a fan in me from that fight.
Kamaru-Colby was a great fight. I had it 2-2 going into the 5th, if I had to push, then I guess 3-1 Usman.
I dislike both fighters - Colby justifiably gets a lot of hate and if he carries around the persona he does, then he must expect it. But to go through 3 or 4 rounds with a broken jaw is a ridiculous feat. I look forward to him coming back and working his way up. Hopefully he'll humble up a bit.
Usman I find a very easily dislikable guy too. Came across great in the Octogon interview to be fair though.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
He's so good at acting that even most of his teammates and collegues think he's a bad person..

The guy's a twat despite the "act". No decent person wants to portray himself like that.

Oggmonster

I do feel there are more eyes on him now even from the hardcore base. Sure, we'd all watch this fight regardless as it's a title fight but would we have turned into some of his other fights without his antics? Probably not... he'd be in the same position as someone like Corey Anderson.
@Dirty Schwein mirrors my thoughts on this; Colvington wouldn't have got elevated to belt contention (one he held or the actual belt) without his schtick, so, no, we wouldn't have been tuning into watch him vs Usman because he wouldn't have been fast-tracked.

His conduct has been appalling, but it ultimately got him where he needed to be, and has no doubt boosted his bank balance far beyond what it would be otherwise, and still, there's plenty of life left in being the heel everyone who is not aligned to his views loves to hate.

I don't think he's as unknown as you do - spouting that maga nonsense and having the president tweet about you is going to raise your profile even amongst those with no interest in the UFC.
Probably fair comments. Although I'm not sure if he was fast tracked he does have a good CV (RDA, Lawler, Maia before Usman fight.

I just don't get this shite that';s now been said "you have to respect him" no I don't have to respect him the guy is a wanker, whether it's an act or not it went way to far. It's all the WWF nonsense people say with it to "you're being worked" or whatever it is people say. No I'm aware it's an act but an act can also make someone a dick and that's what he is.

I don't quite know if that has got him any interest either. I have mates who aren't in to the UFC, they've heard of McGregor, Diaz, Khabib, Jones, Masvidal and Dana White. The reality is it's a niche sport and it's hard to break in to the mainstream. Donald Trump tweets loads of stuff and most of it will disappear in to nowhere, I reckon Colby going to the White House is one of those things. A load of celebs have been there I'm sure but I can't think of 1 off the top of my head I remember and I reckon 99.9% of people not in to MMA will be the same about Colby.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Oggmonster I think people are saying they respect him in the cage, not the man himself. It's like the Connor of old, whether you liked his antics or not, it was hard to deny how good he was in the cage. Colby might be a mouthy cnut, but he's a damn good fighter with heart. That nobody can argue.