The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
@Oggmonster I think people are saying they respect him in the cage, not the man himself. It's like the Connor of old, whether you liked his antics or not, it was hard to deny how good he was in the cage. Colby might be a mouthy cnut, but he's a damn good fighter with heart. That nobody can argue.
Agreed. Terrible actor but a very good MMA fighter.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

@Oggmonster I think people are saying they respect him in the cage, not the man himself. It's like the Connor of old, whether you liked his antics or not, it was hard to deny how good he was in the cage. Colby might be a mouthy cnut, but he's a damn good fighter with heart. That nobody can argue.
That's always been there though, People (especially fans of combat sport) have always said they respect the fighter. The narrative on Colby seems to of changed since the week leading up to the fight and after. He was giving interviews about how he was all an act etc to get where he is. I reckon someone may of told him it's not really working and people are just a bit bored of it.

Absolutely fair fecks to the guy for fighting on and competing in a brutal fight though yeah.

Andersons Dietician

might Be in the minority but going in to the final round I had Usman vs Colby 2-2 and until say the last minute before the finish I was kinda edging towards Colby. Kinda feel like it was a bit of an early stoppage as He had a single leg and wasn’t really taking full force blows but was an absolute cracker of a fight with both men being able to take a shot.

Wouldn’t mind seeing it again which is weird because given the top 2 in the division are wrestlers I before hand had pretty much written that division off and didn’t care about it at all but loved that fight.

Best moment, broken jaw, still has time to be talking smack.

Oggmonster

I wouldn't be surprised if it was partially staged to hype up a future fight.
Yeah possibly true. Seems bit poor on UFC's behalf if it isn't letting him get right in the face of the person who just knocked out his coach.

Even in fights he loses every time after getting hit. It's like his natural instincts are just to go to war with people doesn't seem to have to ability to just regroup. Hit best performance is obviously Cruz and that seemed a fight he wanted to go to decision, any time he had an opportunity to stop the fight (or at least try) he let Cruz get up and carry on fighting.

Luke1995

So, is anyone watching Rampage-Fedor or you'll be turning off the TV after the co-main ?

Hawks2008

He should stay away from the welterweight title, some of the bigger welterweights would be too much for him. Fighting Cerrone at 170 is fine but long term he should stay in lightweight.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He should stay away from the welterweight title, some of the bigger welterweights would be too much for him. Fighting Cerrone at 170 is fine but long term he should stay in lightweight.
I want to see McGregor vs Masvidal first.

Hawks2008

I want to see McGregor vs Masvidal first.
To be honest I'd want to see a trilogy with Diaz before a fight with Masvidal but I'd be interested in that too. Both would be big money fights which at this point would be smarter for Conor to take as I'm not sure he's going to win a title at WW or LW for a while.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Conor too big = even more chance of gassing

Conor too big = more chance of KOing Cerrone... possibly...

If Cerrone was smart (he's not) he'd circle and make Conor work and then up the pace in the middle of the second.

However, Cerrone, the crowd-pleaser, is going to try and bang, for no reason, and make the fight 'exciting',

Think a first round knockout is probable.

poleglass red

seems to be in a better place does Conor. The Khabib bit is typical trying to provoke another fighter material bs, I wouldn't read too much into it. The other part, he seemed to have his mojo back. It remains to be seen how his body is after the last couple of yrs. He obviously looks in good shape, plus he seems more mentally in tune. My only concern would be taking this fight too lightly, he's already talking 2 to 3 fights down the line. That can be dangerous. I'm not sure how much Cerrone himself has left in the tank. Two devasting losses in a row,. Difference is if Conor gets beat, he's done really as a big name, if he's not already. Cerrone loses and it's onto the next fight, pretty much what he's done his whole career. This would be his 7th loss in 11 fights and I'm sure people will still tune into his next fight. A loss for Conor is much more devastating, possibly career ending.

Oggmonster

Yeah his attitude to Khabib seems weird but it does seem he's doing it for the reaction wouldn't take it seriously. I'm looking forward to the Cerrone fight, on top form there's not many better to watch than Conor stylistically