The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Conor got his comeback win, Cowboy got a big payday and Dana kept his commodity viable. Everyone except the fans got what they wanted.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Skangers are out in force already with "Da king is back" around the internet.

Give him Khabib again so they'll crawl back into their hole.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Perfect result for the UFC and for Conor. I am sure Cerrone will stick around but that is awful for him.

Just confirms his constant wilting in big fights. He just starts too slow and never does anything to change it. It’s embarrassing for him no matter what excuses are made.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Masvidal vs Conor or Conor vs Usman would be spectacular.

cyberman

Perfect result for the UFC and for Conor. I am sure Cerrone will stick around but that is awful for him.

Just confirms his constant wilting in big fights. He just starts too slow and never does anything to change it. It’s embarrassing for him no matter what excuses are made.
Ah now its great technique. Cant really blame a slow start there, it was just really odd.
It seems like one of those watershed moments where you check it off the list. We'll see this from the clinch from here on forward.

Paxi

I cringe at Masvidal with that BMF belt, though.

No Love

Masvidal vs Conor or Conor vs Usman would be spectacular.
Fairly confident both guys would feck him up. Usman more so, obviously. Would be stunned if that was remotely competitive, actually.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that he didn’t lay his chips on the table and go all-in for one or the other after his win there.

Paxi

Fairly confident both guys would feck him up. Usman more so, obviously. Would be stunned if that was remotely competitive, actually.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that he didn’t lay his chips on the table and go all-in for one or the other after his win there.
Usman would take him down and batter him and Masvidal would probably knock him out cold but it'd still be great couple of fights.

cyberman

Usman may be drunk if anybody wants to check out his twitter.
I mean...

Edit hacked

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was a very winnable fight and a perfect opponent for his comeback. Big name and an expected win for McGregor.

but it was extremely impressive on how it went down. Cerrone has lost before a few times but never like that. When they are standing he really is one of the best we have seen in the UFC. I don’t think anyone can argue with that.

He has ensured at least the next fight is going to be even bigger. I hope it is Masvidal.

Hawks2008

Would be cool to see him fight Masvidal or Gaethje

Doesn't deserve a title fight yet and should only get a fight with Khabib if he loses his belt.

Reditus

Would be cool to see him fight Masvidal or Gaethje

Doesn't deserve a title fight yet and should only get a fight with Khabib if he loses his belt.
Although I doubt he will turn down a Khabib rematch. It would be suicidal for McGregor. I think you are spot on for the opponents who would make most sense

thepolice123

Donald definitely got starched but the fact that he gave up so easily is a little suspicious.

No Love

I keep seeing people lauding those shoulder strikes as some type of master stroke. Would they be uncomfortable for most fighters? Sure, 99/100 that is their intention, particularly when clinched against the fence. The fact they marked Donald up and somehow stunned him was just a massive bonus for Conor, there’s no way he could’ve predicted that.

For me, it’s more of a damning indictment on Cowboy’s ability to take any sort of shots at this stage in his career.

Reditus

@thepolice123 no, nothing suspicious at all. It was done on that 2nd shoulder. It busted his nose, it was the worst possible start you can have in a fight.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Donald definitely got starched but the fact that he gave up so easily is a little suspicious.
Conor hits really. really hard - once those shoulder strikes connected, Cerrone was already half out of it and just needed the finishing touched put on him, which came by way of even heavier and accurate strikes.

The initial dazing is trademark Cerrone not being prepared, and the rest is all Conor being his trademark dynamite self in the 1st rounds of fights.

The fault lies with Cerrone being his usual game self whilst going in cold. Contrast that with Conor, who was ramped up and ready to burst out of the traps with a prepared plan he executed to a tee.

Everything went as clockwork - nothing suspicious about it.

No Love

I don't think it's that easy to predict, we've seen the huge growth in Masvidal over the years after a few set backs. We could see the same from Mcgregor who seems to have his hunger back.
Sure, it’s fighting, anything can happen. McGregor can hit, so he’d be dangerous in the opening couple of rounds. Just think Jorge would get to him in the later rounds, after putting in a lot of bodywork. Would feel confident backing Masvidal in that one.

Paxi

Twitter is frothing at the mouth on conspiracy theory that the fight was fixed. Can't really see it myself but hey, even some pros are chiming in.

For some balance:

Hawks2008

Colby would be another interesting matchup for him
The build up and press conferences would certainly be interesting, these two going back and forth on the mic would lead to fireworks.

That said I think like Khabib Colby has a huge advantage in wrestling and I think it would be too much for Conor even if he has decent tdd.

Paxi

I think most fighters don't use their shoulders to strike as you can easily fracture the clavicle or ending up with a dislocated shoulder.

justboy68

Wasn't really expecting anything different although I thought it might at least go a couple of minutes. Cowboy's mentalitt cost us all any chance of a proper fight though. Should be the last time he gets anywhere near a big fight. He always chokes hopelessly even before he was past his best. I would say it was a nice tune-up for Conor but it wasn't even that. Hope he can have a quick turnaround and get back in there soon against a more intriguing opponent.

Paxi

If it was that easy to feck up your shoulder rugby players of both codes would be walking injuries especially Owen Farrell
It's a completely different sport imo. Rugby players are built for impact with their bodies and shoulders. They literary do it day in day out, and lot of them do have injures, and some are extremely severe. It's comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

A shoulder/arm injury and the fighter loses his ability to throw punches with any meaning, not to mention it would be a disaster trying to grapple with a severy injury to a shoulder.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It's a completely different sport imo. Rugby players are built for impact with their bodies and shoulders. They literary do it day in day out, and lot of them do have injures, and some are extremely severe. It's comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

A shoulder/arm injury and the fighter loses his ability to throw punches with any meaning, not to mention it would be a disaster trying to grapple with a severy injury to a shoulder.
What I was saying is it takes a lot to injure your shoulder and if you look at some of the illegal hit Owen Farrell puts in you’d agree, when considering the speed they hit at as well its comparable, Conor was going from standing position against a standing position with only his own power hitting cowboy, it’s not going to cause much harm to him.