The MMA thread

Oggmonster

I know people who know him in the MMA world and it's fairly common knowledge he isn't meant to be a very pleasant guy.
Ah fair enough, I used to think he was a bit of a tit in build up to the Woodley fight...he came across as a parody of Tony Bellew and that's saying something cos Bellew is painful enough to listen to but he's seemed alright since then. Interesting to know though

TheReligion

Abusive
Ah fair enough, I used to think he was a bit of a tit in build up to the Woodley fight...he came across as a parody of Tony Bellew and that's saying something cos Bellew is painful enough to listen to but he's seemed alright since then. Interesting to know though
I'll pm you

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Reyes vs. Jones is just round the corner.

Going to maintain that if Jones goes in trying to outbox the boxer, it could be the biggest upset in UFC history as he gets knocked clean out.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid

How can you not love Romero? Probably my favorite fighter in the ufc right now. I hope he gets it done next month.

Masvidal loses this fight easy to be honest Usman was spot on in his assessment on Joe Rogan the other day
Masvidal will knock him out.

Oggmonster

How can you not love Romero? Probably my favorite fighter in the ufc right now. I hope he gets it done next month.

Masvidal will knock him out.
Romero is a blatant cheat but gets away with it and has become some cult hero cos he's a bit of a character.

Each to their own on masvidal. I think Usman beats him easily, masvidal is getting a lot of hype behind him which is fair enough but I don't think he's that level

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Romero is a blatant cheat but gets away with it and has become some cult hero cos he's a bit of a character.

Each to their own on masvidal. I think Usman beats him easily, masvidal is getting a lot of hype behind him which is fair enough but I don't think he's that level
Fans are delusional.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Had a discussion about the UFC navigation for Conor from the company's pov, or at least their perfect money making scenario:

- Ferguson beats Khabib
- Masvidal beats Usman
- Conor beats Ferguson
- Conor then fights Masvidal as 2 then champions of their divisions for the biggest PPV in history. Assuming Conor wins;
- Conor then fights Khabib, again for the biggest PPV in history.

By the Khabib fight in this chain, the UFC have made a killing, as have Masvidal, Conor and Khabib and a run-on follow up is then the Khabib trilogy or a Masvidal rematch.

It's convoluted and speculative, especially so as Khabib and Usman can derail it immediately, but the chain of events is what I think is hoped for - Masvidal is not getting that title fight because of any grudge with Usman but rather in the hope he can dethrone him and really get the ball rolling for the mega money fight with Conor, which can then happen irrespective of what occurs between Ferguson and Khabib.

The big question is what happens if Masvidal loses - that cash cow is riding the crest of a wave at the moment and defeat does knock it off course.

With regard to that match up: it really depends on Masvidal's power and stamina as he'll have to hit hard and frequently to keep Usman off him, which is a bigggg ask. He can easily better Usman in pure stand up, but Usman's pressure and output is extremely difficult to contend with and Masvidal doesn't have single bomb power for Usman to respect so is reliant on tagging and moving, which Masvidal is too proud to do, especially if there's emotion involved.

I'd favour Usman, personally, so it does feel to me like a real all or nothing fight gamble the UFC have gone for with Masvidal here.

2020 is going to be a great year for both divisions, though!

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid

I guess it's better not to be a blatant cheat and be a massive arsehole like Conor.

I might be biased being spanish but Romero seems like a nice guy in every clip I've ever seen of him.

But some of you are probably a bit biased too because of his beef with Bisping, so we all have our favorites.

Oggmonster

I guess it's better not to be a blatant cheat and be a massive arsehole like Conor.

I might be biased being spanish but Romero seems like a nice guy in every clip I've ever seen of him.

But some of you are probably a bit biased too because of his beef with Bisping, so we all have our favorites.
Eh? What's Conor got to do with it??? Why does he come up in random conversations? Can't fighters be judged on their own without McGregor as the measuring stick?

In terms of competition then yes to me I'd rather someone be a bit of a dick than a blatant cheat that seems pretty obvious.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Eh? What's Conor got to do with it??? Why does he come up in random conversations? Can't fighters be judged on their own without McGregor as the measuring stick?
No need to panic mate, chill. I mentioned him because he has a huge following in the uk and ireland, that's all.

In terms of competition then yes to me I'd rather someone be a bit of a dick than a blatant cheat that seems pretty obvious.
How's he more of a "blatant cheat" than any other top fighter btw? Just because he's built like a tank?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
After the way Usman dealt with Covington and Woodley, I expect him to take the W on this one.

Masvidal is much improved and has hands of steel, but Usman is an absolute warrior, does he have a weakness? I haven't seen it yet.

If Masvidal catches him clean then who knows, but if Usman is losing the stand up war he will just switch to wrestling.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
No need to panic mate, chill. I mentioned him because he has a huge following in the uk and ireland, that's all.

How's he more of a "blatant cheat" than any other top fighter btw? Just because he's built like a tank?
I'm a fan of Yoel because I find him funny and always used to support the heels in WWE but he definitely is a cheater.

Stool gate
Water gate
Fence grab gate

There are many more :lol:

Oggmonster

No panic and perfectly chilled just curious as to what McGregor has to do with Romero seems a random person to bring up and personally would judge fighters in isolation.

He has cheated in the cage many times with sneaky stuff and is obviously built like a tank cos he's roided to the gills

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, I don't mind that as much as fighters who run their mouth all the time so I hope he beats Israel. But each to their own.

Hawks2008

About time. I hope people bet big on Jorge. Gonna be the easiest money ever.
Really think Masvidal has a decent chance, all likelihood is that Kamaru wrestlefecks him for 25 minutes for easy a decision but Masvidal has good tdd and bjj. If he can use these things to keep away from the grappling then with Usmans poor head movement I could easily see an upset KO.

But yeah think I Usman retains.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Romero is one of the most likable guys in the UFC imo

Oggmonster

Meh, I don't mind that as much as fighters who run their mouth all the time so I hope he beats Israel. But each to their own.
Each to their own like you say. I think trash talking is tedious but I'd rather someone call me a cnut than come and fight me whilst roided out their mind allowing them the advantage of doing some serious damage

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Each to their own like you say. I think trash talking is tedious but I'd rather someone call me a cnut than come and fight me whilst roided out their mind allowing them the advantage of doing some serious damage
As long as they aren't doing the damage to me I don't really care. I say let them all juice.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
When was the last time a UFC fighter was clearly "roided out of their mind" ? I can think of Lesnar v Hunt, which was to be expected given that he was coming from WWE.

Oggmonster

When was the last time a UFC fighter was clearly "roided out of their mind" ? I can think of Lesnar v Hunt, which was to be expected given that he was coming from WWE.
Romero right now is an example of it. His physique is ridiculous, Costa another one. If people choose to ignore it that's up to them

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Romero right now is an example of it. His physique is ridiculous, Costa another one. If people choose to ignore it that's up to them
Good thing usada don't use your method of detection then.

Look, they probably did steroids at some point to become that big but to say they're definitely on them now with the strict usada testing is a bit crazy.

They might though, who knows. But I'd rather not judge fighters before they get popped.

Oggmonster

You don't think these guys are getting tested on a regular basis ?
You don't think these guys know ways of getting round drugs tests?

Good thing usada don't use your method of detection then.

Look, they probably did steroids at some point to become that big but to say they're definitely on them now with the strict usada testing is a bit crazy.

They might though, who knows. But I'd rather not judge fighters before they get popped.
GSP podcast with Rogan is worth a listen on stuff like Romero. Tells the methods round it, basically leave the country they won't come after you and definitely not to places like Cuba where Romero goes after every fight for months.

He failed a drugs test. Gave it the famous tainted supplements excuse that People choose to believe when it's a fighter they like.[/QUOTE]

Oggmonster

The testing these days is far more comprehensive. Just because fighter x is more muscular or athletic doesn't mean the are on PEDs.

They said that years ago and then people still take steroids and get away with it now.

This could go on all day to be fair.

I think Romero is on steroids and there's ways around it still that he exploits, if people doesn't that's on them. Not once did I claim more muscular fighters are on PEDs just I think Romero is

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They said that years ago and then people still take steroids and get away with it now.

This could go on all day to be fair.

I think Romero is on steroids and there's ways around it still that he exploits, if people doesn't that's on them. Not once did I claim more muscular fighters are on PEDs just I think Romero is
How do you know this ?