The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Santos needs a tune up fight first in my opinion. The guy is old (for a fighter) and coming back from 2 career ending injuries.

Big chances the Santos we knew, might be gone for good. Not fair to him to fight the champ right away.

The fight to make is Reyes vs Jones 2. Jones deserves a chance to get his crown back.
:lol: Ok George.

Andersons Dietician

First 2 rounds was inspired by Reyes but Jones is a master at reading what you got and then finding a way to overcome you.
I feel like the first 2 rounds were won just because of the intensity of Reyes. He fought them like he only had 1 round to get it done. You could see visibly by the end of the 2nd Reyes was knackered and from that point on I was pretty sure Jones was going to go on to win it.

I think Jones probably thought he’d just weather the storm a bit and let Reyes blow himself out.

Fener1907

Momentum shift. Reyes slowed down and Jones continued to apply pressure but actually landing in this round, causing viable damage and marking up Reyes.
4th and 5th continued that trend. It's not like Jones just turned it on in the Championship rounds, the third was was the turning point.
Don't care much to look at 1, 2, 4 or 5 anymore because either side does nothing to judge the third. I just didn't see enough from Jones in round 3. Did he apply more pressure and connect? He did, but it wasn't a sharp increase in shots landed, only pressure. Did he also take damage due to his increased pressuring? Also yes. I think the reason it went for Reyes is simply because he outstruck him and did damage of his own, which we don't really needs stats to tell us, but are there to back that up anyway.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Aggression and position dominance are rewarded - or are supposed to be - by the judges, is this being factored into these assessments?

I am leaning more towards draw than either of them winning, but upon second viewing, I feel a case can be made either way for the 3-2.

RedFish

Aggression and position dominance are rewarded - or are supposed to be - by the judges, is this being factored into these assessments?

I am leaning more towards draw than either of them winning, but upon second viewing, I feel a case can be made either way for the 3-2.

Octagon control etc is not supposed to be factored in unless the fighters cannot be separated by effective striking and grappling which is almost never. Well according to Luke Thomas anyway.

Fener1907

That's why I couldn't really take much away from Reyes - he was moving back more but he was also most certainly aggressive. He was on top for 'volume' and there just wasn't anything definitive enough in terms of 'damage' between the two.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rewatched the fight, and i've changed my mind. Jones won the third. Reyes landed more, but i don't think there was a significant difference(in fact, if anything i'd say Jones landed the more telling strikes and did the more damage of the two) and Jones was more aggressive and largely dictated the action.

3-2 Jones

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Light HeavyweightCorey Andersonvs.Jan Błachowicz
WelterweightDiego Sanchezvs.Michel Pereira
Light HeavyweightDevin Clarkvs.Dequan Townsend
Women's FlyweightMontana De La Rosavs.Mara Romero Borella
LightweightBrok Weavervs.Kazula Vargas
LightweightLando Vannatavs.Yancy Medeiros
WelterweightTim Meansvs.Daniel Rodriguez
BantamweightJohn Dodsonvs.Nathaniel Wood
LightweightJim Millervs.Scott Holtzman
Catchweight (128 lbs)Rogério Bontorinvs.Ray Borg[a]
BantamweightCasey Kenneyvs.Merab Dvalishvili
Women's BantamweightMacy Chiassonvs.Shanna Young
FlyweightMark De La Rosavs.Raulian Paiva

George Owen

Good start for the evening. Paiva with the TKO victory over Mark de la Rosa. (his wife, Montana de la rosa, fights later... she is the good one between them two)

George Owen

Chiasson vs Young :eek:

The girls bringed it!! vicious fight. 2 more rounds to go.

The last 2 rounds weren't as mental. Actually, pretty shitty. But I guess is to be expected for the fighters to slow down in the second half of the fight as they are fighting at an altitude of 1610m.

Last edited:

George Owen

Casey Kenneyvs.Merab Dvalishvili

Has been high level so far. Kenney starting to look tired though after all that wrestling.

Merab Dvalishvili is a machine. No wonder that's his nickname. First round was close, but he took over in the second. Kept the same pace for 3 rounds at that altitude.

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think he was too eager to stop that. Wood was getting up

Reditus

Possibly could've given it another 2-3 seconds but Wood wasn't going to get out of it.
I posted before seeing replay. So maybe not as bad. But just as ref stopped it, I think he looked to be getting up? Hard to say

George Owen

You were right with the first statement - it was a banger. I couldnt help but feel that Vannata wanted a Hollywood ending to impress the hierarchy.
Yeah, a bit of that (almost got that spinning kick), plus what DC said in the octagon interview. Vannata (and Medeiros as well) fought a bit smarter than usual.

Reditus

ok, what are we thinking here? Has Diego potentially put a mark in his legacy tonight? Is he looking for the easier way out?

George Owen

ok, what are we thinking here? Has Diego potentially put a mark in his legacy tonight? Is he looking for the easier way out?
He was seconds away of losing the fight and Pereira throws him that lifesaver. No one to blame but Pereira.

ps. Knees to downed opponents should be legal in my opinion.

Reditus

He was seconds away of losing the fight and Pereira throws him that lifesaver. No one to blame but Pereira.

ps. Knees to downed opponents should be legal in my opinion.
Oh I realise what happened. But I am very surprised that Diego didn’t choose to fight on.

anyone know if this is the first time we have had 2 DQs on the man card?