The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Oh I realise what happened. But I am very surprised that Diego didn’t choose to fight on.

anyone know if this is the first time we have had 2 DQs on the man card?
No idea, but probably.

Come on Jan :nervous:

Extra pressure for the fighters with Jon Jones watching cage side.

Could make them go for the big finish, instead of sticking to a game plan. It would benefit Jan for sure.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Sanchez definitely took the easy way out there, but it’s a win and Pereira again letting himself down for the second fight in a row.

Jan is a beast. It was going to take something special to slow Corey’s momentum and that was a statement. He is brutal.

George Owen

Oh I realise what happened. But I am very surprised that Diego didn’t choose to fight on.

anyone know if this is the first time we have had 2 DQs on the man card?
I think he made the right decision. feck the fighter's bravado. It was a fight ending knee that landed, which provoked a lot of damage. Why keep fighting handicapped like that?

Some guys fake injuries (eye pokes typically) for sure, feck them. But you can't fake a knee to the head.

The ref shouldn't even have to ask the fighter if they want to continue after an illegal knee to the head like that. Straight DQ and get over with. You will hardly get a coherent answer from a possible concussed fighter.

predator

Youth NITK
Blachowicz is a dangerous fighter. I think he is fully capable of KOing Jones within the first 3 rounds but Jones will probably toy with him and win by decision.

Fener1907

Far from an expert on leg kicks but that looked sloppy as anything. Considering how much he leaned into it, he was practically sending an invitation for Jan to counter it with a right. He was equally sloppy a minute or so earlier, steaming in and leaving his head bobbing around, which led to a left hook as Jan circled away from the cage.

All in all, looked quite amateurish against a guy who only wanted to box.

redom

Diego Sanchez needs to be saved from himself and told to ditch that loon in his corner, I'm not even a fan of the guy but seeing the daft stuff he was doing and then the "advice" he was getting between rounds was ridiculous.

redom

Diego just needs to retire. He's been in the game far too long and has nothing left to prove.
Well that too but if he intends to have a few more fights he at least needs a legit team around him otherwise he's going to take even more unnecessary damage doing the things this guy is "teaching" him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You don't think these guys are getting tested on a regular basis ?
No. They don’t. They get tested 6-12 times a year and know when they’re going to be tested. The database is live. Run some searches. Some outliers will get 12-15 a year but many athletes have 1. 6-12 is an average.

The whereabouts system is easy to game.

Romero got tested 7 times in 2019. 1 time this year.

Failing a drug test = Failing an IQ test.

Almost all sports are dirty, to varying degrees, but every sport has drugs in it

UnrelatedPsuedo

The WWE's program is notoriously poor. USADA is more comprehensive.
Apologies, just realised the last post I responded to was a couple of weeks old.

To this post though...

The WWE does not have a drug policy.

USADA is not comprehensive in any way, shape or form. It’s lipstick on a pig.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No. They don’t. They get tested 6-12 times a year and know when they’re going to be tested. The database is live. Run some searches. Some outliers will get 12-15 a year but many athletes have 1. 6-12 is an average.

The whereabouts system is easy to game.

Romero got tested 7 times in 2019. 1 time this year.

Failing a drug test = Failing an IQ test.

Almost all sports are dirty, to varying degrees, but every sport has drugs in it
Do you then think its fair to presume a fighter is on something without any evidence, and usually as a device to explain why they fought well ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well that too but if he intends to have a few more fights he at least needs a legit team around him otherwise he's going to take even more unnecessary damage doing the things this guy is "teaching" him.
I just hate to see these guys who out like this. Same with Rashad, Rampage, Penn, and others who lingered about because they wanted to earn a few more late career checks, and in the process managed to tarnish the luster of their legacies.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Do you then think its fair to presume a fighter is on something without any evidence, and usually as a device to explain why they fought well ?
Absolutely not. Accusations are daft. But ‘USADA has a good testing regime’ is a comment that should die. They don’t.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I just hate to see these guys who out like this. Same with Rashad, Rampage, Penn, and others who lingered about because they wanted to earn a few more late career checks, and in the process managed to tarnish the luster of their legacies.
It’s a strange life, and I imagine it’s a very addictive life. The thrill and adrenaline of fighting doesn’t have much comparison.

Rashad was on Rogan last time out talking about how psychedelics have helped him transition into retirement. They need something to replace that thrill and all those hours of focused training, and for some, nothing replaces it and they hold on for far too long.

I agree with you, it’s sad to see in some cases. Penns record in particular is awful now and doesn’t reflect what he was at his peak.

The game has evolved so quickly and a lot of these guys who were fighting pre- UFC 160 just aren’t well rounded enough to keep up.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Penn is minted mate. I'm sure Rashad has a nice pot of cash too, residually as he works in the broadcast team. Most these guys keep fighting because I think they feel it is their identity. They refuse to believe they are finished.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Penn is minted mate. I'm sure Rashad has a nice pot of cash too, residually as he works in the broadcast team. Most these guys keep fighting because I think they feel it is their identity. They refuse to believe they are finished.
I doubt Rashad has much money otherwise he wouldn’t have fought for so long and then taken a punditry gig.

Oggmonster

I doubt Rashad has much money otherwise he wouldn’t have fought for so long and then taken a punditry gig.
Do you think it's fair to presume a fighters wealth without any evidence?

Maybe he likes fighting and just wanted to do it? Doesn't have to be skint to take a pundits job either. I listened to Jamie Carragher's podcast with Paul Merson. They enjoy punditry and their jobs cos it keeps them busy whilst I'm sure they wouldn't do it for free it sounds like they genuinely enjoy doing it and that could be the same for Rashad etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Do you think it's fair to presume a fighters wealth without any evidence?

Maybe he likes fighting and just wanted to do it? Doesn't have to be skint to take a pundits job either. I listened to Jamie Carragher's podcast with Paul Merson. They enjoy punditry and their jobs cos it keeps them busy whilst I'm sure they wouldn't do it for free it sounds like they genuinely enjoy doing it and that could be the same for Rashad etc.
What do these two examples have to do with one another?

Oggmonster

What do these two examples have to do with one another?
You asked if it's fair to presume what fighters are up to based on pure speculation.

You then speculated some fighters need money with no evidence.

Seems a bit contradictory as you ask for facts then speculate something with no facts yourself.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You asked if it's fair to presume what fighters are up to based on pure speculation.

You then speculated some fighters need money with no evidence.

Seems a bit contradictory as you ask for facts then speculate something with no facts yourself.
You are casually questioning the credibility of a fighter with no evidence. This strikes at the heart of whether their wins and success were legitimate, again with no evidence than your random internet musings of what a fighter should look like.

Attempting to obfuscate to whataboutism by bringing up a completely unrelated point doesn’t absolve you from addressing the original one.

Oggmonster

You are casually questioning the credibility of a fighter with no evidence. This strikes at the heart of whether their wins and success were legitimate, again with no evidence than your random internet musings of what a fighter should look like.

Attempting to obfuscate to whataboutism by bringing up a completely unrelated point doesn’t absolve you from addressing the original one.
So it's alright to speculate stuff you want to but not other people? Your random internet musings are fine when it suits you but not for others. What evidence do you want? Do you want me drug testing fighters? Romero for example failed a drugs test (as I said previously) then he blamed some supplement and got away with it, I personally don't believe the story. I then explained how I listened to stuff like GSP on Rogan and how people just leave the country and don't get tested, Romero goes to Cuba after pretty much all his fights and I think the story makes sense. It's not "no evidence" but no it's not concrete, next time I'll set up my own drugs testing business.

Out of interest how come you weren't so up in arms about "random internet musings" and "obfuscate to whataboutism" (could of just said talking bollocks I suppose) when it was stuff about McGregor being accued of being a rapist and junkie? That's pretty serious allegations yet I never once saw you quesiton it and there was little to no evidence other than random internet musings. Could it be cos that's a fighter you like less so weren't as bothered? And being accused of being a rapist is a huge allegation to make about someone so I'd say if you are offended by people being accused of taking steroids you'd be pretty offended by that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So it's alright to speculate stuff you want to but not other people? Your random internet musings are fine when it suits you but not for others. What evidence do you want? Do you want me drug testing fighters? Romero for example failed a drugs test (as I said previously) then he blamed some supplement and got away with it, I personally don't believe the story. I then explained how I listened to stuff like GSP on Rogan and how people just leave the country and don't get tested, Romero goes to Cuba after pretty much all his fights and I think the story makes sense. It's not "no evidence" but no it's not concrete, next time I'll set up my own drugs testing business.

Out of interest how come you weren't so up in arms about "random internet musings" and "obfuscate to whataboutism" (could of just said talking bollocks I suppose) when it was stuff about McGregor being accued of being a rapist and junkie? That's pretty serious allegations yet I never once saw you quesiton it and there was little to no evidence other than random internet musings. Could it be cos that's a fighter you like less so weren't as bothered? And being accused of being a rapist is a huge allegation to make about someone so I'd say if you are offended by people being accused of taking steroids you'd be pretty offended by that.
You make a good point about McGregor. Maybe we can agree that both this and musing about being on PEDs are wrong and move on.

RedFish

I'll be rooting for the Irish Dragon on this one. Hooker is a great fighter but bit of a dick. Would be lovely if he gets humbled in front of his home crowd.
I like both. Hooker is cocky but great fun. Felder was very lucky in his last fight and the way loads up should enable Hooker to pick him off. Should be a great fight. Can't wait.

George Owen

I like both. Hooker is cocky but great fun. Felder was very lucky in his last fight and the way loads up should enable Hooker to pick him off. Should be a great fight. Can't wait.
yeah, if Felder can't get Hooker against the fence or even the ground (like Hardy says), he will get picked apart.

It will be a violent fight for sure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Surprised people are giving Felder a chance. Think he's going to be dismantled and badly K.O'd.

Bad match up for him.