The Modern / Current Players Draft

VivaJanuzaj

Isn't that what you're doing? Or do you play Lahm as DM and replace one of Götze/Pedro with di Maria?
Depends on the opponent really, but Lahm as a DM who can cover either Clichy or Ivanovic gives much more freedom to Yaya Toure & Pogba than Song ever could.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I have 4 other defenders, 3 out of them can play CB.
Oh yeahh.. I fecked up..

so yeah Lahm behind Yaya and Pogba is actually pretty good but then you were better off getting a different player for that role IMO

I actually thought you would take Robben as your first pick

crappycraperson

Scout
Also wait a minute..

does not @VivaJanuzaj has 3 german players in his squad.. is that allowed?

Edit: rules are just for the playing 11 so I guess you are fine!

Annahnomoss

Isn't that what you're doing? Or do you play Lahm as DM and replace one of Götze/Pedro with di Maria?
Lahm being his best player I believe he will have him in a key role in that DM position. Will be the first time I see a team where Lahm is the "star player" of sorts.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Also wait a minute..

does not @VivaJanuzaj has 3 german players in his squad.. is that allowed?

Edit: rules are just for the playing 11 so I guess you are fine!
Yeah, he has to play Ivanovic instead of Mertesacker at centerback if he uses Lahm as a rightback. Or replace Götze with di Maria and keep Pedro in the team, if he plays Lahm in DM. Pogba being born after 1990 allows him to take Götze out.

VivaJanuzaj

Oh yeahh.. I fecked up..

so yeah Lahm behind Yaya and Pogba is actually pretty good but then you were better off getting a different player for that role IMO

I really considered it, but for me the first order of business was to allow Yaya&Pogba the freedom they need. With two attacking threats like that in midfield, with the freedom to burst forward it's like getting a top attacker(such as Robben). I couldn't give up on that.
Yes, it might make my team less star-filled, but it was the right thing to do, because tactically it will work perfectly in reality.
Lahm being his best player I believe he will have him in a key role in that DM position. Will be the first time I see a team where Lahm is the "star player" of sorts.
this. Building a team around Lahm & Yaya basically.
Yeah, he has to play Ivanovic instead of Mertesacker at centerback if he uses Lahm as a rightback. Or replace Götze with di Maria and keep Pedro in the team, if he plays Lahm in DM. Pogba being born after 1990 allows him to take Götze out.
Yep.

VivaJanuzaj

I'm actually really surprised with the picks in this round too.
I was confident Theon will replace either Kolo Toure or Koscielny, I'd fancy them to have a rough time against any attack at this stage.
I was confident TrV will replace Lichsteiner after all the criticism he received last round.
I also though MJJ won't stay with the same backline.

But everybody opted to go on the attack here. Classic draft thinking I guess :rolleyes:

Skizzo

I'm actually really surprised with the picks in this round too.
I was confident Theon will replace either Kolo Toure or Koscielny, I'd fancy them to have a rough time against any attack at this stage.
I was confident TrV will replace Lichsteiner after all the criticism he received last round.
I also though MJJ won't stay with the same backline.

But everybody opted to go on the attack here. Classic draft thinking I guess :rolleyes:
At least I got rid of Lass :p

Skizzo

Reinforcement Pool:
  1. Pat_Mustard: 2. Villa 3. Dani Alves 4. Barzagli 5. Verratti 6. Laporte 7. Tevez 8. Kwadwo Asamoah 9. Deisler 10.Mandanda 11. Lars Bender 12. Michel Bastos
  2. Physiocrat: 2. Fabregas 4. Wilshere 5. Alba 6. Nani 7. Rafael 8. Berbatov 9. Vermalean 10. Igor Akinfeev 11. Gustavo 12. Sturridge
  3. Stobzilla: 2. Alaba 3. Vidal 4. Rooney 5. Turan 6. Özil 7. Griezmann 8. Luiz 9. Bonucci 10. Valdes 11. Otamendi 12. Kondogbia
  4. BorisDeLeFora: 2. Kompany 4. Cavani 5. Rakitic 6. Hamsik 7. Arbeloa 8. Vicente 9. Walcott 10. Ter Stegen 11. Richards 12. Kehl.
  5. Snow: 3. Busquets 4. Azpilicueta 5. Adriano 6. Thiago 7.Srna 8. Garay 9. Badstuber 10. Lloris 11. Cuadrado 12. Diego.
  6. NoPace: 1. Kroos 3. Ramos 5. Ledley King 6. Falcao 7. Casillas 8. Filipe Luis 9. T.Rosicky 10. Motta 11. Debuchy 12. Donovan.
  7. Barney: 1. Gerrard 2. Alonso 3. Martínez 4. Benatia 5. Zabaleta 6. Ricardo Rodriguez 7.Valencia 8. Benzema 9. Demichelis 10. Hart 11. Podolski 12. Benayoun.
  8. NM: 3. Maicon 5. James Rodriguez 6. Courtois 7. Subotic 8. Dante 9. Strootman 10. Mario Gomez 11. Malouda 12. Darren Fletcher.
Dropped Players: 1. Lavezzi 2. Lassana Diarra 3. Błaszczykowski 4. Coleman 5. Rojo 6. Cazorla 7. De Sciglio 8. Nigel De Jong 9. Cassano 10. Ramsey 11. Blazeretti 12. Kolarov 13. Saviola 14. Alex Song 15. Matuidi

Reinforced Teams:

1. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho 2. Hummels 3. Chiellini 4. De Jong 5. Gundogan 6. Isco 7. Carvajal 8. Park Ji Sung 9. Higuain 10. C Bravo 11. Marquinhos 12. M. De Sciglio 13. Modric 14. De Rossi
  2. MJJ: 1. Kaká 2. Torres 3. Essien 4. Matic 5. Pique 6. Neuer 7. Baines 8. Sokratis 9. Piszczek 10. Pjanic 11. Cassano 12. Saviola 13. Bale 14. Hazard
  3. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta 2. Terry 3. Neymar 4. Van Persie 5. Hargreaves 6. Marcelo 7. Cahill 8. Lichtsteiner 9. Ramsey 10. Sirigu 11. Cazorla 12. Höwedes 13. Xavi 14. Rues
  4. Isotope: 1. Suárez 2. Eto'o 3. Mascherano 4. Pepe 5. Koke 6. Chivu 7. Marchisio 8. Sagna 9. Mata 10. Keylor Navas 11. Balzaretti 12. Rojo 13. Vidal 14. Boateng
  5. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger 2. Ibrahimovic 3. Sánchez 4. Sneijder 5. De Gea 6. Koscielny 7. Khedira 8. Robinho 9. Kolo 10. Kolarov 11. Coleman 12. Raul Abiol 13. Robben 14. Cole
  6. VivaJanuzaj: 1. Thiago Silva 2. Yaya Touré 3. Ivanovic 4. Pogba 5. Gotze 6. Alex Song 7. Clichy 8. Diego Costa 9. Pedro 10. Mertesacker 11. Begović 12. Błaszczykowski 13. Lahm 4. di Maria
  7. Skizzo: 1. Müller 2. Evra 3. Godín 4. D. Silva 5. Miranda 6. Sterling 7. Lewandowski 8. Matuidi 9. Juanfran 10. Handanovic 11. Lassana Diarra 12. Seydou Keita 13. Cambiasso 14. Kroos
  8. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Agüero 3. Varane 4. Carrick 5. Vertonghen 6. Cech 7. Lavezzi 8. Coentrao 9. Joaquin 10. Moutinho 11. Oscar 12. Cáceres 13. Vidic

VivaJanuzaj

Alright...sorry for the hold up, been sitting here for way too long trying to decide what to do.

Dropping the workhorse Matuidi

replacing him with

Easy swap. Good job.
At least I got rid of Lass :p
Yeah you did, and it was a good idea. Seems like some people just decided to ignore the criticism from round 1 and go "LvG's United" and buy only forwards :)

VivaJanuzaj

@Skizzo I'm not saying it's wrong, just wondering - how come you took Cambiasso over De Rossi? What quality do you want from Cambiasso that you thought you wouldn't get from DDR?

Skizzo

@Skizzo I'm not saying it's wrong, just wondering - how come you took Cambiasso over De Rossi? What quality do you want from Cambiasso that you thought you wouldn't get from DDR?
TBH, not a whole lot at all. I just feel I rate De Rossi higher than a lot of people on the Caf, and it would turn in to one of those debates in the match day thread that ends up derailing every other conversation because you constantly have to try and convince people how good he is.

The response when Cambiasso was picked by NM tells you all you need to know really :lol:

Annahnomoss

Oh yeahh.. I fecked up..

Also thought he'd go for Robben as a first pick when it presented itself. But I disagree about the fact that he could have made a better pick than Lahm for the DM role.

The only other options were Busquets and Martinez, and Busquets hasn't been in form since Barcelona quit playing a high press defense so unless that is what you want to play I don't think Busquets is the best choice.

Martinez has just played one game all season and 18 league games last year due to injuries. In the DM role one can argue which of the two would be the better fit as it is arguable but then you take in to account that Lahm is like cryptonite that you can play in such intelligent roles almost anywhere.

I won't be surprised to see Lahm as a RCM if the opponent has Ronaldinho for example. Lahm/Ivanovic/Pedro on that flank and that is about as good of a defense as you can ever have. While Pedro has the pace to abuse the space behind the opponents full backs on the counter.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kroos before alonso and fsbregas..
90's player. Also, Skizzo already has 2 spaniards.

Alonso would've been perfect for you :( Well, maybe next round, upfront you already are final-worthy.

MJJ

90's player. Also, Skizzo already has 2 spaniards.

Alonso would've been perfect for you :( Well, maybe next round, upfront you already are final-worthy.
Had juanfran as a Brazilian for some reason. I think I need to upgrade my defense first if I do qualify. Matic, Essien and pique combine should shoulder some of the creative burden and linking play.

Quarter Finals - Squads

crappycraperson

Scout
Reinforcement Pool:
  1. Pat_Mustard: 2. Villa 3. Dani Alves 4. Barzagli 5. Verratti 6. Laporte 7. Tevez 8. Kwadwo Asamoah 9. Deisler 10.Mandanda 11. Lars Bender 12. Michel Bastos
  2. Physiocrat: 2. Fabregas 4. Wilshere 5. Alba 6. Nani 7. Rafael 8. Berbatov 9. Vermalean 10. Igor Akinfeev 11. Gustavo 12. Sturridge
  3. Stobzilla: 2. Alaba 3. Vidal 4. Rooney 5. Turan 6. Özil 7. Griezmann 8. Luiz 9. Bonucci 10. Valdes 11. Otamendi 12. Kondogbia
  4. BorisDeLeFora: 2. Kompany 4. Cavani 5. Rakitic 6. Hamsik 7. Arbeloa 8. Vicente 9. Walcott 10. Ter Stegen 11. Richards 12. Kehl.
  5. Snow: 3. Busquets 4. Azpilicueta 5. Adriano 6. Thiago 7.Srna 8. Garay 9. Badstuber 10. Lloris 11. Cuadrado 12. Diego.
  6. NoPace: 1. Kroos 3. Ramos 5. Ledley King 6. Falcao 7. Casillas 8. Filipe Luis 9. T.Rosicky 10. Motta 11. Debuchy 12. Donovan.
  7. Barney: 1. Gerrard 2. Alonso 3. Martínez 4. Benatia 5. Zabaleta 6. Ricardo Rodriguez 7.Valencia 8. Benzema 9. Demichelis 10. Hart 11. Podolski 12. Benayoun.
  8. NM: 3. Maicon 5. James Rodriguez 6. Courtois 7. Subotic 8. Dante 9. Strootman 10. Mario Gomez 11. Malouda 12. Darren Fletcher.
Dropped Players: 1. Lavezzi 2. Lassana Diarra 3. Błaszczykowski 4. Coleman 5. Rojo 6. Cazorla 7. De Sciglio 8. Nigel De Jong 9. Cassano 10. Ramsey 11. Blazeretti 12. Kolarov 13. Saviola 14. Alex Song 15. Matuidi 16. Oscar

Reinforced Teams:

1. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho 2. Hummels 3. Chiellini 4. De Jong 5. Gundogan 6. Isco 7. Carvajal 8. Park Ji Sung 9. Higuain 10. C Bravo 11. Marquinhos 12. M. De Sciglio 13. Modric 14. De Rossi
  2. MJJ: 1. Kaká 2. Torres 3. Essien 4. Matic 5. Pique 6. Neuer 7. Baines 8. Sokratis 9. Piszczek 10. Pjanic 11. Cassano 12. Saviola 13. Bale 14. Hazard
  3. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta 2. Terry 3. Neymar 4. Van Persie 5. Hargreaves 6. Marcelo 7. Cahill 8. Lichtsteiner 9. Ramsey 10. Sirigu 11. Cazorla 12. Höwedes 13. Xavi 14. Rues
  4. Isotope: 1. Suárez 2. Eto'o 3. Mascherano 4. Pepe 5. Koke 6. Chivu 7. Marchisio 8. Sagna 9. Mata 10. Keylor Navas 11. Balzaretti 12. Rojo 13. Vidal 14. Boateng
  5. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger 2. Ibrahimovic 3. Sánchez 4. Sneijder 5. De Gea 6. Koscielny 7. Khedira 8. Robinho 9. Kolo 10. Kolarov 11. Coleman 12. Raul Abiol 13. Robben 14. Cole
  6. VivaJanuzaj: 1. Thiago Silva 2. Yaya Touré 3. Ivanovic 4. Pogba 5. Gotze 6. Alex Song 7. Clichy 8. Diego Costa 9. Pedro 10. Mertesacker 11. Begović 12. Błaszczykowski 13. Lahm 4. di Maria
  7. Skizzo: 1. Müller 2. Evra 3. Godín 4. D. Silva 5. Miranda 6. Sterling 7. Lewandowski 8. Matuidi 9. Juanfran 10. Handanovic 11. Lassana Diarra 12. Seydou Keita 13. Cambiasso 14. Kroos
  8. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Agüero 3. Varane 4. Carrick 5. Vertonghen 6. Cech 7. Lavezzi 8. Coentrao 9. Joaquin 10. Moutinho 11. Oscar 12. Cáceres 13. Vidic 14. Gerrard

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Raees is the most interesting one.

I don't think that this is the idea behind it, but it would've been fun to watch

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I don't think that this is the idea behind it, but it would've been fun to watch
I am very tempted to use it but it depends on my opponent.

crappycraperson

Scout

Raees is a shoe in for the winning the draft. There is simply no other big vote winner as Goofy. It was a howler by Pat to take Xavi ahead of him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Raees is a shoe in for the winning the draft. There is simply no other big vote winner as Goofy. It was a howler by Pat to take Xavi ahead of him.
Wouldn't go that far, all the teams have strengthened considerably. Comes down to the draw and who can get away with the right types of match up.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was really surprised, Goofy is THE GOAT of this draft, head and shoulders, and quite rightly!

crappycraperson

Scout
I was really surprised, Goofy is THE GOAT of this draft, head and shoulders, and quite rightly!
I don't have a problem with someone rating Xavi higher as a football player but purely in terms of winning votes in this draft, Dinho is at a different level.