The Modern / Current Players Draft

Annahnomoss

Well Annah above is talking about him climbing GOAT tiers.
I don't disagree with him being best of his generation but there is nothing to support the claim that he belongs with likes of Nesta.
"Silva is starting to climb the ladder in terms of all time CB's" is the exact quote. If you think there is anything ambiguous in the statement just ask me to define it further!

For me an all time ladder referred more or less to the top 100~ centre backs in history rather than the top 10.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I wouldn't judge him based on a 3-4 match instead of a great career and a really solid world cup apart from it
Yeah he's an excellent CB and I do rate him but I just don't think he's all that and most certainly not better than Terry or Vidic. He's still one of the best CBs in this draft so don't worry :).

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Ibrahimovic just isn't all that.. for me he is not a top bracket forward.
That's a crazy comment man, Ibrahimovic is without question one of the best forwards of the last decade and IMO has quite comfortably hit a peak that Rooney has never matched. In terms of playmaking and overall, technical play he's a far better player than Rooney and he's also a superior goalscorer. The only thing Rooney has over Ibra IMO is workrate/mobility, bar that I don't think it's close between the two.

You underrate his speed/movement and make him sound much more static than he is as well, particularly when he was younger. As he is a playmaker lots of Ibrahimovic's plays start with him receiving the ball into his feet, but he's always been capable of doing the opposite and running in behind a defence - his goals against Real Madrid and Atletico would be examples of that type of movement.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's a crazy comment man, Ibrahimovic is without question one of the best forwards of the last decade and IMO has quite comfortably hit a peak that Rooney has never matched. In terms of playmaking and overall, technical play he's a far better player than Rooney and he's also a superior goalscorer. The only thing Rooney has over Ibra IMO is workrate/mobility, bar that I don't think it's close between the two.

You underrate his speed/movement and make him sound much more static than he is as well, particularly when he was younger. As he is a playmaker lots of Ibrahimovic's plays start with him receiving the ball into his feet, but he's always been capable of doing the opposite and running in behind a defence - his goals against Real Madrid and Atletico would be examples of that type of movement.

You can show me all the vids you want on Zlatan, I have watched the guy for years like many of us here. Technically this guy was light years ahead of anyone but in terms of how dangerous he is at the highest level.. crunch games - not for me I'm afraid.

Rooney is easily a more threatening striker when in peak fitness. Mobility and work rate are massive attributes, they're the attributes which really come to the fore in big encounters as everyone cancels each other out.. its the ones who can move that little quicker.. want it more, they usually produce the key moments.

I can imagine fanboy posters making a fuss about him because hes a pretty player but not from.us guys, we should be able to see him for what his true level is.. a rich man's Berbatov

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You can show me all the vids you want on Zlatan, I have watched the guy for years

I can imagine fanboy posters making a fuss about him because hes a pretty player but not from.us guys, we should be able to see him for what his true level is.. a rich man's Berbatov
Well the reason I showed you those two examples is because you're underrating his movement and making him out to be much more static than he is. He isn't limited in that way.

The second sentence is just silly. The vast majority of people would say that Ibrahimovic is better than Rooney, outside of United fans it would not even be a debate. He's a better goalscorer, better technically and a better playmaker. He has scored 128 goals in his last 157 games whilst adding much more to the team than just goals.

I think dismissing the consensus view in such a contemptuous way and calling all of those who disagree with you fanboys is pretty silly. In my opinion most people consider Ibrahimovic better because he is objectively the better footballer.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Well the reason I showed you those two examples is because you're underrating his movement and making him out to be much more static than he is. He isn't limited in that way.

The second sentence is just silly. The vast majority of people would say that Ibrahimovic is better than Rooney, outside of United fans it would not even be a debate. He's a better goalscorer, better technically and a better playmaker. He has scored 128 goals in his last 157 games whilst adding much more to the team than just goals.

I think dismissing the consensus view in such a contemptuous way and calling all of those who disagree with you fanboys is pretty silly. In my opinion most people consider Ibrahimovic better because he is objectively the better footballer.
Oii. Save the debate for the match thread! :D

When should we have our match, bro?

NM

My side basically got picked apart. Cole/Cambiasso/Bale all gone.. I call BS!!

NM

A vote for Bale is a vote for team nm.
:lol:

I actually hate Bale. Terribly overrated IMO. A great player, sure. But never amongst the best in the world. I hope he takes the step up though.

Other than that, I loved my team. Think you got pretty lucky tbh.

MJJ

:lol:

I actually hate Bale. Terribly overrated IMO. A great player, sure. But never amongst the best in the world. I hope he takes the step up though.

Other than that, I loved my team. Think you got pretty lucky tbh.
I think he needs the right set up to shine, if he has space and other talented players around you he will hurt you.

Lucky part I disagree with :p

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

We will continue this later, of course he isn't static in the same way Berbatov isn't static.. they're very technical and agile for big men but they're static when you compare their movement to the likes of Etoo/Villa/Suarez/Aguero and they're not as aggressive as a Lewandowski/Falcao.

Rooney as a youngster took the international scene by storm and injuries have ruined what could have been the worlds best striker but he's still been incredibly potent when playing in his best position and he is the epitome of adding more to a team than goals. He's scored in the Champions league final and yes he has failed to live up to expectations but that is linked to his injuries.. Zlatan has no such excuse, he's just not that great mentally and the top defenders usually handle him quite easily... you can rely on him to miss chances in clutch situations.

I would love to be proved wrong and for Ibra to finally realise his potential and take the CL by storm but I cant help but feel that brilliant side has two dud front men. You have surrounded him with a great pair of singers though and I think you made the best overall reinforcements in the sense no one can criticise either of them both are top top quality.

also @Skizzo why give up the brilliant Matuidi for the hard to use Kroos.. as we are seeing at Real his off the ball work leaves alot to be desired?

Last edited:

Skizzo

@Raees

What kind of off the work would you like to see? Matuidi and Diarra gave us what we needed in the first match, which was boundless energy, and defensive nous. With Cambiasso coming in, he's comfortable better than both Diarra and Matuidi. Bringing in Kroos covers us for various reasons. His reading of the game and positioning is fantastic, and his playmaking and range of passing links up our team from front to back.

His biggest criticism has been that he needs a top class defensive midfielder alongside him. Cambiasso gives him that, and then some. Having Cambiasso and Matuidi would be an improvement on Diarra and Matuidi, but it would still leave us lacking in so much as being able to exert some control of the game.

In drafting, we put together arguably the best attack, and the best defence...but left a lot to be desired in the midfield. Which is why we drafted two grafters to work hard and disrupt opponents. Anto, Crappy, and a few others pointed out that we lacked someone who could play the ball forward and maintain possession when our defence inevitably won the ball back, and they were correct.

Long story short, if we just replaced Kroos with Matuidi, then I'd understand your "concerns", but as it stands, if you look at the swap of Kroos and Cambiasso coming in for Diarra and Matuidi, we don't lose much defensively, but gain so much with technique and influence of the game.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
also @Skizzo why give up the brilliant Matuidi for the hard to use Kroos.. as we are seeing at Real his off the ball work leaves alot to be desired?
I don't think that's true at all, he's simply played in a midfield that doesn't have a 2nd defensive midfielder next to him at the moment, which is just silly. Kroos does his fair share of defensive work and playing next to Cambiasso is certainly a lot different to playing behind Isco and James. Real was flying and looked defensively very solid with Modric and Kroos together in the first half of the season. Kroos is also obviously tired after a long season at Bayern with the World Cup in the summer and basically starting every game for Real Madrid and Germany this season. So judging him on the past few weeks, when the whole Real Madrid side stopped working hard seems really unfair.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don't think that's true at all, he's simply played in a midfield that doesn't have a 2nd defensive midfielder next to him at the moment, which is just silly. Kroos does his fair share of defensive work and playing next to Cambiasso is certainly a lot different to playing behind Isco and James. Real was flying and looked defensively very solid with Modric and Kroos together in the first half of the season. Kroos is also obviously tired after a long season at Bayern with the World Cup in the summer and basically starting every game for Real Madrid and Germany this season. So judging him on the past few weeks, when the whole Real Madrid side stopped working hard seems really unfair.
While I don want to discuss this further, the only question about Kroos in a 2 man MF is that if that his best role or not. At WC he played with 2 CMs alongside and even at Bayern he seems to his his stride alongside Thiago/Schwein with Lahm/Martinez behind him across 2 different seasons.

Annahnomoss

He really needs runners around him at Madrid. Off the ball defensively he's been lacking intensity completely for Madrid. His positioning is world class though so he gets away with it to some extent but he's a bit of a roundabout if the opponents has great mobility and pace and his two midfield colleagues aren't there covering too.

It is always hard to figure out how much it is down to tactics and how much is down to him as a player. I remember critiquing Carrick for pulling a Kroos last season and just staying centrally "in position" even if our team needed him elsewhere. In particular Rafael stepped up from his RB position to make an interception and Carrick should have made a run in to the RB role in case Rafael failed and the opponent got through.

Turned out to be tactical though as Moyes instructed Carrick to continue his runs down that area to cover just a few games later after we got exposed defensively by that.

Annahnomoss

You can show me all the vids you want on Zlatan, I have watched the guy for years like many of us here. Technically this guy was light years ahead of anyone but in terms of how dangerous he is at the highest level.. crunch games - not for me I'm afraid.

Rooney is easily a more threatening striker when in peak fitness. Mobility and work rate are massive attributes, they're the attributes which really come to the fore in big encounters as everyone cancels each other out.. its the ones who can move that little quicker.. want it more, they usually produce the key moments.

He's has the highest goals per game ratio for the NT teams since 2012 playing for one of the worst teams of all the top goalscorers.

Only Ronaldo and Messi has scored and assisted more than him since 2012 and last season Ibrahimovic had the same amount of goals and assists in the same amount of games as Messi. Easier league? In fact Zlatan outperformed Messi in the CL with his 10 goals in 7 matches.

Rooney has averaged 20 goals a season in all but 2 seasons where he scored 34, and between those high scoring seasons he scored 16. Zlatan has scored more than 34 goals, three years in a row and Rooney's best amount of goals in the CL is 5 - Zlatan scored 2 times that in his best season in the same amount of games.

RVP scored 37 goals on season, his second best turnout is 30 then 22.
Only Ruud has had a three year turn out like Zlatan with 101 goals in 3 seasons. Not even Henry ever reached that.

Just facts about players goalscoring.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's has the highest goals per game ratio for the NT teams since 2012 playing for one of the worst teams of all the top goalscorers.

Only Ronaldo and Messi has scored and assisted more than him since 2012 and last season Ibrahimovic had the same amount of goals and assists in the same amount of games as Messi. Easier league? In fact Zlatan outperformed Messi in the CL with his 10 goals in 7 matches.

Rooney has averaged 20 goals a season in all but 2 seasons where he scored 34, and between those high scoring seasons he scored 16. Zlatan has scored more than 34 goals, three years in a row and Rooney's best amount of goals in the CL is 5 - Zlatan scored 2 times that in his best season in the same amount of games.

RVP scored 37 goals on season, his second best turnout is 30 then 22.
Only Ruud has had a three year turn out like Zlatan with 101 goals in 3 seasons. Not even Henry ever reached that.

Just facts about players goalscoring.
He scored 4 of those goals against Anderlecht and 2 v Benfica or was it Besiktas all in the group stages. Those stats mean nothing in the sense that he has played in sub par leagues for most of his career.

If you're going to use statistics to justify he's a bigger big game striker than Ruud or on that level.. Its not a discussion worth having. He even managed to sneak a tap in against Barcelona in a 2-2 for PSG which was one of the worst individual performances I have seen by a big name player.. he was missing chances galore and was the worst player on the pitch by a mile.

I am sorry but when it comes to Zlatan, he will always be a flat track bully for me and it will be a perception that only changes if he can destroy a Bayern or a Real/Barca and take PSG to champions league glory or thereabouts. PSG play quicker without him tbh.

@Skizzo @Balu someone talked about Kroos' posotional intelligence i don't doubt that.. but he is similar to Yaya Toure in that he can't really hold a midfield on his own, he needs a three and he needs a free role or he gets run over. I'm surprised you didn't take Modric and for me personally I think that pairing of yours is a tad slow and not dynamic but you have a cracking side so you get away with them as a two but its not a stand out midfield pair to me and I still see that area as a slight weak point.

Annahnomoss

He scored 4 of those goals against Anderlecht and 2 v Benfica or was it Besiktas all in the group stages. Those stats mean nothing in the sense that he has played in sub par leagues for most of his career.

If you're going to use statistics to justify he's a bigger big game striker than Ruud or on that level.. Its not a discussion worth having. He even managed to sneak a tap in against Barcelona in a 2-2 for PSG which was one of the worst individual performances I have seen by a big name player.. he was missing chances galore and was the worst player on the pitch by a mile.

I am sorry but when it comes to Zlatan, he will always be a flat track bully for me and it will be a perception that only changes if he can destroy a Bayern or a Real/Barca and take PSG to champions league glory or thereabouts. PSG play quicker without him tbh.

@Skizzo @Balu someone talked about Kroos' posotional intelligence i don't doubt that.. but he is similar to Yaya Toure in that he can't really hold a midfield on his own, he needs a three and he needs a free role or he gets run over. I'm surprised you didn't take Modric and for me personally I think that pairing of yours is a tad slow and not dynamic but you have a cracking side so you get away with them as a two but its not a stand out midfield pair to me and I still see that area as a slight weak point.
The conclusion is very extreme. "He exceeds the historical records of most legendary strikers in history - he's a flat track bully though because he doesn't dominate the 1-3 very best teams in the world even if he just played 4 games against that quality(all against Barcelona) in these 3 years and he scored in 2 out of 4. Then he played 2 games against the worlds best national team, Germany, one of where he had an iconic performance leading terrible Swedish team to a 4-4 draw. Not to forget the magical match up of Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal versus Zlatan Ibrahimovic where he scored as well. Also scored against France and against "the Spain".

2011-12 CL: 5 goals and 5 assists in 702 minutes(one assist/goal every 70 minutes)
2012-13 he had the highest amount of assists of all players in the Champions League, while scoring 3 goals.
2013-14: highest scoring player behind Cristiano with 10 goals in just 7 matches(one of the best goalscoring ratios in the history of CL for the top strikers), beating Messi/Costa/Lewandowski

There is some levels between a flat track bully, and someone who has a 1:2 return and who has scored against Barcelona every year they faced each other, as well as Spain and Germany.

How many players walk in to a match against Barcelona/Bayern and dominate it, would we be upset with Rooney or RVP if they scored in 1 out of the 2 legs but didn't dominate?

Only players like Messi/Xavi/Ronaldinho/Ronaldo can go in to a match against the best/2nd best team and still dominate the pitch. At the NT level his return is fantastic in the big matches as Sweden is like playing for Leicester.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The conclusion is very extreme. "He exceeds the historical records of most legendary strikers in history - he's a flat track bully though because he doesn't dominate the 1-3 very best teams in the world even if he just played 4 games against that quality(all against Barcelona) in these 3 years and he scored in 2 out of 4. Then he played 2 games against the worlds best national team, Germany, one of where he had an iconic performance leading terrible Swedish team to a 4-4 draw. Not to forget the magical match up of Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal versus Zlatan Ibrahimovic where he scored as well. Also scored against France and against "the Spain".

2011-12 CL: 5 goals and 5 assists in 702 minutes(one assist/goal every 70 minutes)
2012-13 he had the highest amount of assists of all players in the Champions League, while scoring 3 goals.
2013-14: highest scoring player behind Cristiano with 10 goals in just 7 matches(one of the best goalscoring ratios in the history of CL for the top strikers), beating Messi/Costa/Lewandowski

There is some levels between a flat track bully, and someone who has a 1:2 return and who has scored against Barcelona every year they faced each other, as well as Spain and Germany.

How many players walk in to a match against Barcelona/Bayern and dominate it, would we be upset with Rooney or RVP if they scored in 1 out of the 2 legs but didn't dominate?

Only players like Messi/Xavi/Ronaldinho/Ronaldo can go in to a match against the best/2nd best team and still dominate the pitch. At the NT level his return is fantastic in the big matches as Sweden is like playing for Leicester.
In 2011-12 he scored a easy chance v Barcelona in the group stages (they lost the game 3-2) and a penalty v Arsenal in the first knockout round, followed by a anonymous display v Barcelona in the quarters where he failed to register a goal but managed an assist (robinho creating havoc with a dribble through the middle and zlatan hit a good through ball to make it 1-1.. they lost 3-1 eventually). Remainder of his goals and assists against sides like Bate/Pizen.

In 2012-13 he registered 4 assists v Dinamo Zagreb, totally inflating his stats and his only goal v a top side is the goal v Barca in the quarters, a two legged tie where he was utterly dreadful throughout both matches, I remember them very clearly as there were threads after the game calling him overrated and I couldn't believe how poor he was. Remainder of his goals were v Zagreb and Kiev.

In 2013-14 he scored 5 goals v Andelecht, 2 against a poor leverkusen side and the remainder against Benfica and Olympiakos. He failed miserably against Chelsea in the knockout stages.

In terms of internationals, that iconic performance v Germany.. they were 4-0 down and took their foot off the gas, it was a qualifier - he scored 1 goal.. hardly iconic but fair play to him nonetheless. The only top performance of his where I can hands down say he was brilliant in a game with proper pressure was that playoff game v Portugal.. he was great that night as was Ronaldo but those performances are a rarity.

His record above is so poor for a man of his talent. If we were to compare it to Eto'o and the rest it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Rooney's 5 CL goals in 09/10 came all in the knockout stages v a Bayern who went on to get to the final, outshining the likes of Ribery before he got an injury and destroying Milan. He's scored goals v Barcelona in the CL final, Roma, Milan in their pomp (06/07) and strong Chelsea sides to name but a few (all in knockout football).. he is easily the better striker in testing conditions. It is not even close despite Zlatan being the more talented and consistent goalscorer v weaker sides.

Annahnomoss

In 2011-12 he scored a easy chance v Barcelona in the group stages (they lost the game 3-2) and a penalty v Arsenal in the first knockout round, followed by a anonymous display v Barcelona in the quarters where he failed to register a goal but managed an assist (robinho creating havoc with a dribble through the middle and zlatan hit a good through ball to make it 1-1.. they lost 3-1 eventually). Remainder of his goals and assists against sides like Bate/Pizen.

In 2012-13 he registered 4 assists v Dinamo Zagreb, totally inflating his stats and his only goal v a top side is the goal v Barca in the quarters, a two legged tie where he was utterly dreadful throughout both matches, I remember them very clearly as there were threads after the game calling him overrated and I couldn't believe how poor he was. Remainder of his goals were v Zagreb and Kiev.

In 2013-14 he scored 5 goals v Andelecht, 2 against a poor leverkusen side and the remainder against Benfica and Olympiakos. He failed miserably against Chelsea in the knockout stages.

In terms of internationals, that iconic performance v Germany.. they were 4-0 down and took their foot off the gas, it was a qualifier - he scored 1 goal.. hardly iconic but fair play to him nonetheless. The only top performance of his where I can hands down say he was brilliant in a game with proper pressure was that playoff game v Portugal.. he was great that night as was Ronaldo but those performances are a rarity.

His record above is so poor for a man of his talent. If we were to compare it to Eto'o and the rest it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Rooney's 5 CL goals in 09/10 came all in the knockout stages v a Bayern who went on to get to the final, outshining the likes of Ribery before he got an injury and destroying Milan. He's scored goals v Barcelona in the CL final, Roma, Milan in their pomp (06/07) and strong Chelsea sides to name but a few (all in knockout football).. he is easily the better striker in testing conditions. It is not even close despite Zlatan being the more talented and consistent goalscorer v weaker sides.
Zlatan has had a 3-4 year peak, and in those years he hasn't had the opportunity to play against Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona more than 4 times - where he scored 2.

Yes Rooney or Eto'o has scored more goals in important matches in their peak, but they've also played a lot more matches against such opposition. You have to look at the ratio of games someone like Rooney managed to succeed in(I don't want to bring Eto'o in to this discussion because he's a class above).

How many games has Rooney dominated Peps/Heynckes Bayern or Barcelona? Let's take a look at the last three years in particular.

2013-14 - Rooney fails to score against Bayern in the first and second leg. He's a mile from "dominating" Bayern who completely dominate United instead.

2012-13 - Rooney gets benched and United perform strongly until Nani is sent off in the 1-1 draw, Rooney plays the second leg without scoring and he doesn't dominate the game at all.

2011-12 - United are sent out in the group stage as Rooney fails to stamp his mark on the games and dominate.

2009-10 - United gets ridiculed by Barcelona, Rooney scores a goal making it 1 goal in 5 games against "the very best".

2008-09 - Rooney fails to score or dominate the game VS Barcelona as United loses with 2-0.

2007-08 - Rooney fails to score or dominate in the final, he also fails to score or dominate against Barcelona in the semi finals.

So Rooney scored his last goal against such quality 5 years ago and out of these last 8 matches he's dominated in no match at all.

So Ibra "not dominating and just scoring in half the games against top opposition" doesn't mean that someone like Rooney is above him. Frankly it just means that neither of them are capable of dominating the very best teams.

We can also bring up Rooney's inability to dominate at the national stage in comparison to Zlatan who again, has the best goalscoring ratio at the NT level the last three years.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
On the Kroos discussion.

Firstly, we are not playing a dynamic box to box duo (Scholes-Keane) but rather a deep-ish more double pivot like type of a duo (Scholes-Carrick or even Didi-Zito, Gerson-Clodaldo for eg) whereby the physical requirements heavily differ from the former box to box type duo with intelligence, positioning and discipline being more critical than sheer graft, although a fair amount of industry is required as ever (which both my midfielders provide).

The latter version of Scholes, Gerson and Didi were hardly the most dynamic of players capable of running their socks off but were capable of putting in a shift (less so for Gerson) and defending intelligently (interceptions, positioning, anticipation etc) which is exactly what Kroos is capable of.

Cambiasso functions as the DM who provides much of the 'raw' defending with his graft, steel, defensive solidity, tracking runners etc whilst recycling the ball and occasionally playing long/through balls.

As a pair they would function seamlessly and will carry out their tactical responsibilities to a tee.

Exactly this. It is incredibly harsh to judge him from his time at Real as they basically do not have the defensive steel to complement Kroos's more subtle and intelligent play. Still like you've stated, Kroos and Modric did a remarkable job of holding the midfield together defensively and making it function seamlessly at the start of the season.

It is also no surprise Balu, that the side (esp the midfield) stopped functioning when Modric became injured for 3 months since November. This left their midfield completely shorn of any sort of graft whilst leaving Kroos overburdened alongside 2 attacking midfielders and 2 lazy inside forwards. Things people need to seriously take note of when analyzing Real's and their midfield issues in recent months when it was all going brilliantly initially, whereby they even went on a record setting run iirc. Typical stupid muppeting by Real to let go of Alonso and Di Maria whilst neglecting their need for a DM.

He really needs runners around him at Madrid. Off the ball defensively he's been lacking intensity completely for Madrid. His positioning is world class though so he gets away with it to some extent but he's a bit of a roundabout if the opponents has great mobility and pace and his two midfield colleagues aren't there covering too.
You are right in that his positioning is excellent and that he does need a fair bit of graft and steel alongside him, and he couldn't ask for anyone better in Cambiasso. This in addition to the tenacity and industry of Müller, Sterling (a certain extent) and Lewandowski from the attacking positions. Behind him, Evra and Juanfran are extremely industrious and excellent defensively whilst Godín-Miranda are an absolutely rock solid duo.

Someone here labelled us an extremely gritty team overall earlier and they were right as it really is high on teamwork and work rate throughout the entire team.

Contrast this with the midfield situation at Real, which is absurd to say the least and they really are asking too much from him, esp since Modric became injured. A job which even the best of defensive midfielders could struggle with alongside 2 lightweight attacking midfielders, 2 lazy inside forwards, 2 extremely adventurous WBs (with Marcelo non existent defensively) and 2 rather rash and suspect CBs in Ramos and Pepe. Tbf both Isco and James have improved their work rate this season but still... This is why I think it's extremely unfair to judge him from his current stint at Real.

While I don want to discuss this further, the only question about Kroos in a 2 man MF is that if that his best role or not. At WC he played with 2 CMs alongside and even at Bayern he seems to his his stride alongside Thiago/Schwein with Lahm/Martinez behind him across 2 different seasons.
He has played as part of a midfield duo before and has excelled (CL final against Chelsea for eg). IIRC, Kroos and Schweinsteiger played as a duo mostly in the 11/12 (with Gustavo rotating in at times) for both Germany and Bayern.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_UEFA_Champions_League_Final

http://www.goal.com/en/match/germany-vs-brazil/1064254/lineups?ICID=MP_MS_2

Anyway I'd say his best position is in CM where he can truly exhibit his fantastic vision, long range passes and run games. He doesn't have the directness and pace to be a modern #10 and even when he played ahead of Martinez-Schweinsteiger it was him as an advanced CM rather than a true AM or a #10.

As Cruyff stated
"He’s doing everything right: the pace in his passes is great and he sees everything. It’s nearly perfect."

Scholes claimed Kroos is "a top-class central midfielder", was the player that United most needed to sign.

He is the type of player who'd run the game at CM if the right platform is provided for him and I'd say it is here.

but he is similar to Yaya Toure in that he can't really hold a midfield on his own, he needs a three and he needs a free role or he gets run over. I'm surprised you didn't take Modric and for me personally I think that pairing of yours is a tad slow and not dynamic but you have a cracking side so you get away with them as a two but its not a stand out midfield pair to me and I still see that area as a slight weak point.
He is nothing like Yaya Toure in that he has to be given a free role in a trio.

As I've shown above he has excelled in a duo and he also tends to really put a shift in and covers plenty of ground.

Top 10 most ground covered in 13/14 CL.

http://talksport.com/football/europ...-stars-who-cover-more-ground-champions-league

4th most distance covered in the WC

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/world-cup-players-with-longest-distance-covered.393362/

Covering most distance against Barça in el classico

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eone-changed-Spanish-football-1-000-days.html

Covering most distance vs Portugal in WC 2014 etc and so many more examples

He also averages 2+ tackles and 1.5+ interceptions generally throughout his career despite playing as an AM or winger at times.
(Under defensive segment)

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/31772/History/Toni-Kroos

So he's definitely not a luxury midfielder who has to play in a trio. He lacks dynamism, no two ways about it but he can play in a pivot to a high level and has done so whilst being industrious and defensively able.

Cambiasso is dynamic, most certainly not slow and complements Kroos brilliantly like Schweinsteiger did earlier on. We simply didn't take Modric as Cambiasso is the better midfielder and is the more suitable player for our midfield. It is a midfield that we'd be happy to play in a final.

I don't need to advertise Kroos's pedigree as he's already shown what a magnificent player he has been for Germany and Bayern, winning the WC (scoring 2 goals & 4 assists with an average rating of 9.79 out of 10 and rated as the best player of WC by Castrol index) and the treble. Plus he's post 1990!!!

We'll save this discussion for the match day thread but I just wanted to address it and not fester, becoming an overblown issue later on.

Crappy I'd like to remind you that I have a Baxter-Peters sized weapon for future discussions though, as @Gio would testify :p.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Zlatan has had a 3-4 year peak, and in those years he hasn't had the opportunity to play against Bayern/Madrid/Barcelona more than 4 times - where he scored 2.

Yes Rooney or Eto'o has scored more goals in important matches in their peak, but they've also played a lot more matches against such opposition. You have to look at the ratio of games someone like Rooney managed to succeed in(I don't want to bring Eto'o in to this discussion because he's a class above).

How many games has Rooney dominated Peps/Heynckes Bayern or Barcelona? Let's take a look at the last three years in particular.

2013-14 - Rooney fails to score against Bayern in the first and second leg. He's a mile from "dominating" Bayern who completely dominate United instead.

2012-13 - Rooney gets benched and United perform strongly until Nani is sent off in the 1-1 draw, Rooney plays the second leg without scoring and he doesn't dominate the game at all.

2011-12 - United are sent out in the group stage as Rooney fails to stamp his mark on the games and dominate.

2009-10 - United gets ridiculed by Barcelona, Rooney scores a goal making it 1 goal in 5 games against "the very best".

2008-09 - Rooney fails to score or dominate the game VS Barcelona as United loses with 2-0.

2007-08 - Rooney fails to score or dominate in the final, he also fails to score or dominate against Barcelona in the semi finals.

So Rooney scored his last goal against such quality 5 years ago and out of these last 8 matches he's dominated in no match at all.

So Ibra "not dominating and just scoring in half the games against top opposition" doesn't mean that someone like Rooney is above him. Frankly it just means that neither of them are capable of dominating the very best teams.

We can also bring up Rooney's inability to dominate at the national stage in comparison to Zlatan who again, has the best goalscoring ratio at the NT level the last three years.
You left out the 11/12 season when he scored a quality goal in the champions league final and 06/07 when he scored against roma and 2 v a brilliant Milan side (the CL winners in fact).

He has also dominated an international tournament Euro 2004... it is his injuries which have killed his chances of leaving a legacy as a great great player, Zlatan has no such excuses despite being much more talented but yes, lets end this debate - its getting tiresome and we both usually agree on most things as well!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
@Joga Bonito - Not sure why you want to have this discussion before match itself so I won't reply to that wall of text, but will just point out that Baxter-Peters pair has no bearing on that match up. There is no similarity between the team set up I had employed then and the one you have now in terms of whether you want to shut out opposition or just want to out score them.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito - Not sure why you want to have this discussion before match itself so I won't reply to that wall of text, but will just point out that Baxter-Peters pair has no bearing on that match up. There is no similarity between the team set up I had employed then and the one you have now in terms of whether you want to shut out opposition or just want to out score them.
Yeah let's just have our discussions in the match day thread. I'd refrain from making comments here regarding Kroos for now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think Cambiasso is more of a dynamic Carrick, with less passing range but better at going forward. He's not this steely, hardman, no-man-can-passed-me type of player. His best time at Inter was always with more defensive player than him in CM. But it could be just Mou's tactic of overly defensive on his setup.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The comparison with Yaya Toure is very odd. Kroos is a totally different type of player in my opinion, he's not a luxery player in any way.

Annahnomoss

You left out the 11/12 season when he scored a quality goal in the champions league final and 06/07 when he scored against roma and 2 v a brilliant Milan side (the CL winners in fact).

He has also dominated an international tournament Euro 2004... it is his injuries which have killed his chances of leaving a legacy as a great great player, Zlatan has no such excuses despite being much more talented but yes, lets end this debate - its getting tiresome and we both usually agree on most things as well!
Didn't count the Roma side as one of the best in the world at the level of Barcelona or Bayern right now, the Milan goal should be added but he still ends up at a lower goals/impact per "huge game" than Zlatan. But I think we can at least see that there is a difference between being a normal player like Rooney/Zlatan - an all time legend like Messi/Ronaldo who can basically dominate against any opponents - and a flat track bully.

No matter how you judge him, labeling him a flat track bully is very hard considering he's scored in 50% of the big games he's had which is actually a very good record.

And yes no need to continue it! Was a good discussion anyhow.