g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern Draft QF1: Skizzo vs crappycraperson | Votes have been reset - vote again

At players peaks who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think it is 24 to skizzo and 22 to me.

Surely some folks want penalties here! This one deserves it!

Any way last chance saloon

Skizzo

Congrats @Skizzo @Joga Bonito

I blame barney for this loss. I was sure getting Gerrard would at least secure his vote but the twat voted against him.
:lol:

I think this might have been one of the few times he's actually voted for me in one of these. I kept waiting for him to Change it again.

Great game though. Your team ended up being way better than I originally gave it credit for before the match.

Two games, two wins by a vote each time. Not good for my heart. 29 going on 70 here now.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Plenty of managers left to vote - @Snow @Theon @MJJ @Physiocrat
Sorry man, I've not been around at all so missed this.

Its an incredibly close call but after a quick scan I would have voted for you - sorry I missed the deadline. I much prefer the way that Skizzo has set his team up this game with Silva at the centre of the play and I could see him linking up well with Kroos and Cambiasso.

That said being said, Gerrard, Aguero and Ribery looks lethal to me and I think you have the perfect set up to get the best out of them. I also agree with your comments re stretching the play on the right, which will create space for Gerrard to drive and make it hard to track Agueros movement. I think Gerrard was absolutely fantastic, usually I prefer him a little deeper but he'd roam all over the place in this position which is what you want. He's probably what would have tipped my vote.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Good game @crappycraperson

Anyway, on the Scout commenting in game thread issue. I honestly don't mind the scout making a few posts in the thread so long as it is minimal and coordinated to avoid ganging up. Obviously voters will be aware of the Scout's bias and would take their posts with a pinch of salt.

There have been games in the past where both manager and AM have made posts in the thread and it wasn't really an issue iirc, although the no AM rule does muddle things up a bit. EAP introduced the no AMs rule to speed up the drafting process as per his words and didn't mind me posting in the last match (reminding me to coordinate my posts with Skizzo).

Both Snow and crappy (stopped posting thereafter) have taken issue with this and I'd like some clarification @Edgar Allan Pillow with your word being the final one ofc.

Annahnomoss

:lol:

I think this might have been one of the few times he's actually voted for me in one of these. I kept waiting for him to Change it again.

Great game though. Your team ended up being way better than I originally gave it credit for before the match.

Two games, two wins by a vote each time. Not good for my heart. 29 going on 70 here now.
I think it was quite a satisfactory match up for both teams here. Both teams has a very in-possession specialized midfield with three playmakers pretty much next to each other. At the end I thought that Cambiasso was going to stand out for that reason, not because he was the best midfielder on the pitch but because his role was something Crappy couldn't compete with.

At the same time I think that Gerrard-Carrick-Moutinho would do really well too because they weren't facing a midfield that would make it hard for them. I was edging it to you before that Muller change. I got the idea and all behind it, but I've literally never seen Muller play on the left so it was hard to judge him all of a sudden.

Decided it was so close I would only vote for you if you were behind, so a draw or you winning and I would abstain. Just because I thought it was a slight win to you before that change and it came so late it had to be an advantage on your side.

Possible that if someone had counted the votes in the end and said so in the thread I would have voted for Crappy to make it a draw if he was behind.

Blackwidow

At the same time I think that Gerrard-Carrick-Moutinho would do really well too because they weren't facing a midfield that would make it hard for them. I was edging it to you before that Muller change. I got the idea and all behind it, but I've literally never seen Muller play on the left so it was hard to judge him all of a sudden.
Müller on the left is not really a good idea. He is just not used to it and as a right foot...
He can have good actions from the left with his roaming around - that is not it. But I guess a lot of the runnings just change and get more difficult if you do them from another position.

And even if he worked hard on his left foot the recent seasons - from nonexistent 5 years ago to be able to do good hard crosses or even the Robbenesque goal on the weekend - it is still his weak foot.

MJJ

Anyway, on the Scout commenting in game thread issue. I honestly don't mind the scout making a few posts in the thread so long as it is minimal and coordinated to avoid ganging up. Obviously voters will be aware of the Scout's bias and would take their posts with a pinch of salt.

There have been games in the past where both manager and AM have made posts in the thread and it wasn't really an issue iirc, although the no AM rule does muddle things up a bit. EAP introduced the no AMs rule to speed up the drafting process as per his words and didn't mind me posting in the last match (reminding me to coordinate my posts with Skizzo).

Both Snow and crappy (stopped posting thereafter) have taken issue with this and I'd like some clarification @Edgar Allan Pillow with your word being the final one ofc.
I think the scout should eb allowed to comment as long as its either the manager or the scout. not both.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I think the scout should eb allowed to comment as long as its either the manager or the scout. not both.
Yeah I get what you mean but isn't it generally the case when the manager makes the vast majority of the posts with the AM chipping in with a few posts (or the other way around if the manager is busy, I've rarely seen either of them not posting at all in the threas). For instance I've played against Balu with PedroMendez as AM making a few posts now and then which I didn't have an issue with. Granted, my posts were too long (couldn't help myself :angel:) but yeah will try to make them less comprehensive and limited in the future.

We should have a discussion about this in the draft ideas thread but for now we should let the draft master (EAP) decide on this issue.

Last edited:

MJJ

Yeah I get what you mean but isn't it generally the case when the manager makes the vast majority of the posts with the AM chipping in with a few posts (or the other way around if the manager is busy, I've rarely seen either of them not posting at all in the threas). For instance I've played against Balu with PedroMendez as AM making a few posts now and then which I didn't have an issue with. Granted, my posts were too long (couldn't help myself :angel:) but yeah will try to make them less comprehensive and limited in the future.

We should have a discussion about this in the draft ideas thread but for now I'll let the draft master (EAP) decide on this issue.
No, I meant both of them can post just not at the same time. I think you and skizzo have been fine, havent double teamed any manager.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
No, I meant both of them can post just not at the same time. I think you and skizzo have been fine, havent double teamed any manager.
Oh alright then. Misunderstood your initial post.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Granted, my posts were too long (couldn't help myself :angel:) but yeah will try to make them less comprehensive and limited in the future.
I think that was a bit of a problem to be honest. I don't think anyone minds, if the manager can't be around for several hours and the scout/assistent chips in to defend the team and keeps the discussion going. But 15 minutes after Skizzo had posted, you wrote two essays that were much much more than that. And what made it even more unfair, it was at a time when crappy was sleeping. He couldn't answer to anything for several hours himself and woke up to walls of text.

crappycraperson

Scout
It is not actually about double teaming.

If both manager and AM are prolific posters and work in shifts, it is asking too much from a single manager to keep up. Essentially you can have a team that can post throughout the game and the single manager simply can not match that. In this match up if I had started a ying-yang with Joga as a well, I would have lost my job. As it is, I was in a meeting yesterday typing away in the morning to claw back some votes.

Skills

Snitch
We all know what you were both trying to do. Completely unethical. This isn't the WWE and even if it was, Crappy would be the face and you both would've been booed out of the arena.

#LetsGoCrappy #SkizzoSucks

Skizzo

We all know what you were both trying to do. Completely unethical. This isn't the WWE and even if it was, Crappy would be the face and you both would've been booed out of the arena.

#LetsGoCrappy #SkizzoSucks
Clearly you forget how popular heels can be.

#WeAreTheNation #JogasPostsAreBiggerThanMarkHenry

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I think that was a bit of a problem to be honest. I don't think anyone minds, if the manager can't be around for several hours and the scout/assistent chips in to defend the team and keeps the discussion going. But 15 minutes after Skizzo had posted, you wrote two essays that were much much more than that. And what made it even more unfair, it was at a time when crappy was sleeping. He couldn't answer to anything for several hours himself and woke up to walls of text.
Yup it was wrong on my part. I thought it would have been better to just condense all my posts into one or two mega ones to reduce the frequency of my posts here which in hindsight wasn't right. Will keep it short and low from now on.

JogasPostsAreBiggerThanMarkHenry
Just Googled him :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Posting at same timeframe is not allowed. Honestly I'd just leave it to managers to argue, but considering time zones and all that, Scout's can argue in absence of a manager. Ganging up is frowned upon.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yup it was wrong on my part. I thought it would have been better to just condense all my posts into one or two mega ones to reduce the frequency of my posts here which in hindsight wasn't right. Will keep it short and low from now on.
As a neutral I thoroughly enjoyed your posts, especially the ones about Varane which were excellent. It'll be a shame for the quality of discussion if you post less.

Team Skizzo would have had my vote here. Less spectacular in attack, but a more solid unit with less weaknesses overall.

EDIT: Looking back at the lineups, no weaknesses really bar possibly Sterling. Great drafting and smart reinforcements.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Just Googled him :lol:
Don't think you did anything wrong. In general it has always been like EAP says - avoid posting at the same timeframe. Yes it means you will most likely post when the opponent is asleep but that is better than doubling up.

For me I don't think there is ever an issue if you as a team give the opponent the time to reply and don't abuse the power of being able to post two times faster.

If every second post is from Skizzo and the other half from you because you guys time it like that it is fine. I get Crappy though, the issue was the quality of your posts being so high and strong that it was quite obvious you had had time to create them.

If you want to create quality posts like that Crappy needs a lot more time to be able to address it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I would have vote Skizzo I think. He worked on his central midfield limitations which gave him more of a balance in his team. The reason why I would have voted him is that Moutinho and Carrick are a bit too similar to me and Cacares is the biggest weakness on the pitch. I don't know, it was close like the votes reflected. I could have sort of killed it but whilst Skizzo was ahead I really didn't see the need to ruin the suspense so I stood off in the dark. Had Theon come in, I would have too.

Snow

I agree. I felt ganged upon in my match because when I was first able to get to my thread discussion there was already almost a whole page with both of them posting. I don't think that was their intention and it was quickly sorted out in the thread but that said I didn't expect to see it again in this one. It was a tad overwhelming.

Skizzo

I would have vote Skizzo I think. He worked on his central midfield limitations which gave him more of a balance in his team. The reason why I would have voted him is that Moutinho and Carrick are a bit too similar to me and Cacares is the biggest weakness on the pitch. I don't know, it was close like the votes reflected. I could have sort of killed it but whilst Skizzo was ahead I really didn't see the need to ruin the suspense so I stood off in the dark. Had Theon come in, I would have too.
Appreciate the feedback. After you destroyed our midfield in the first game...That was a definite priority. Sterling could get by since he's surrounded by quality up top...But there was a gulf in quality between defence and attack.

Skizzo

As a neutral I thoroughly enjoyed your posts, especially the ones about Varane which were excellent. It'll be a shame for the quality of discussion if you post less.

Team Skizzo would have had my vote here. Less spectacular in attack, but a more solid unit with less weaknesses overall.

EDIT: Looking back at the lineups, no weaknesses really bar possibly Sterling. Great drafting and smart reinforcements.
Thanks pat. Agree Sterling is the stand out now as needing to be replaced. Fortunately the full backs in the draft are not at a particularly high standard all round, so he can get by...But it's getting to the stage where he's a clear hindrance against quality opposition.

I go for a lot of posts, joga goes for the quality ones :p

Snow

Appreciate the feedback. After you destroyed our midfield in the first game...That was a definite priority. Sterling could get by since he's surrounded by quality up top...But there was a gulf in quality between defence and attack.
Given that it will be the last 4 teams, Sterling and Lewandowski should be upgraded. There are just too many better strikers not too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Lewandowski's stock price plummeted a lot recently. I think he's still one of the best out there, and can't think many better than him. I was surprised he lasted so behind in the picking order.

Skizzo

Lewandowski's stock price plummeted a lot recently. I think he's still one of the best out there, and can't think many better than him. I was surprised he lasted so behind in the picking order.
I'm honestly shocked at the response he's gotten so far. One of the most complete forwards around, averaging 1 goal in 2 games throughout his career...at every club...but he's been received like Heskey.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm honestly shocked at the response he's gotten so far. One of the most complete forwards around, averaging 1 goal in 2 games throughout his career...at every club...but he's been received like Heskey.
His build up skill play was really decent with Dortmund, actually. He's like Benzema with better finishing. Just my preference, I'd pick him ahead of Cavani, Costa, and (close call with) Aguero. And definitely over Higuain ;).

Skizzo

His build up skill play was really decent with Dortmund, actually. He's like Benzema with better finishing. Just my preference, I'd pick him ahead of Cavani, Costa, and (close call with) Aguero. And definitely over Higuain ;).
That's why he was preferred with our attacking mids over some of the others. Muller and Silva interplay, with a technically sound striker who can play with them, who also has a great goal scoring record..just makes sense. But apparently people struggle to see that :p

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Nice to know you appreciate my posts and I'd love to keep posting the same way but yeah, from the opposing manager's point of view I can understand what crappy and Snow are getting at though.

Don't think you did anything wrong. In general it has always been like EAP says - avoid posting at the same timeframe. Yes it means you will most likely post when the opponent is asleep but that is better than doubling up.

For me I don't think there is ever an issue if you as a team give the opponent the time to reply and don't abuse the power of being able to post two times faster.

If every second post is from Skizzo and the other half from you because you guys time it like that it is fine. I get Crappy though, the issue was the quality of your posts being so high and strong that it was quite obvious you had had time to create them.

If you want to create quality posts like that Crappy needs a lot more time to be able to address it.
Agreed.

I agree. I felt ganged upon in my match because when I was first able to get to my thread discussion there was already almost a whole page with both of them posting. I don't think that was their intention and it was quickly sorted out in the thread but that said I didn't expect to see it again in this one. It was a tad overwhelming.
Apologies on that and it was unintentional but good to know that you rate our team. Will have to disagree on Lewa needing an upgrade though. Like Skizzo aptly stated, he fits our team like a glove with his all round game and intelligent play. There are more explosive and individualistic strikers around such as Eto'o and Torres for eg but they don't provide the same nippy one-twos, decoy runs, graft and the overall team ethic that the likes of Sterling, Silva and Müller (esp) would relish to play alongside with.

All whilst being an excellent goalscoring individual himself. I'd probably only prefer Villa and Ibra for our team tbh and even they don't have the same work rate. Really don't think he's one who needs to be upgraded.

On Sterling, fair enough but he's a post 90 player who needs to be afforded a fair bit of leeway when being rated imo. What we like about him is that he manages to strike a fine balance between individuality and team ethic which really belies his young age.

He has a fine individual on the ball with his pace and dribbling (being their best player alongside Gerrard in the business end last season as Barney stated and overall this season too) but also has the link-up play and intelligence to play in a cohesive unit (playing a supporting role to Sturridge & Suarez very well) without sticking out like a sore thumb or needing to be accommodated in anyway. His versatility also means he can play anywhere behind the striker and both in a possession based or a direct counter attacking system (preferably the latter though).

Add to the fact that he's an European Golden Boy (a fairly prestigious award with quite a bit of history) and given that the FB pool in this draft isn't all that, we expected him to be rated higher.

It was certainly surprising to see him come under a fair bit of negative scrutiny whilst someone like Varane was getting through unscathed. Don't get me wrong, Varane has the makings of a top defender and even I'd say he will probably go on to have a better career than Sterling on the basis of his potential (subjective). However, we can only judge on what's before us and Sterling has certainly had a better career and exhibitied more on a consistent basis than Varane thus far imho.

I could very well be overrating him here as I like the maturity and flexibility he has about his game at such a young age and I hope he leaves Liverpool soon but yeah, expected him to be rated higher given the context of him being a post 90 player.

Snow

@Joga Bonito Who would you upgrade then? For example, I had a post 90 player in the same position as Sterling who is much much better. Lewandowski is good but he's not a top 10 pick in this draft and you're down to the last 4. You're not going to replace Evra, Godin or Miranda. The midfield 3 doesn't need work. Kroos is one of them, he's also post-90 and he's better than Sterling.

To me the 4 players that would need the most upgrading in your team in the right order are Sterling-Lewandowski-Juanfran-Handanovic. AML and SC are a bigger vote winner and as such rather need replacing than the other two. Especially considering you've got 3/4 Atletico defenders. People wouldn't be so kind on Juanfran if he were the only one.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Too lazy to check, but are there really strikers available that will offer a meaningful improvement on Lewandowski?

crappycraperson

Scout
@Joga Bonito Who would you upgrade then? For example, I had a post 90 player in the same position as Sterling who is much much better. Lewandowski is good but he's not a top 10 pick in this draft and you're down to the last 4. You're not going to replace Evra, Godin or Miranda. The midfield 3 doesn't need work. Kroos is one of them, he's also post-90 and he's better than Sterling.

To me the 4 players that would need the most upgrading in your team in the right order are Sterling-Lewandowski-Juanfran-Handanovic. AML and SC are a bigger vote winner and as such rather need replacing than the other two. Especially considering you've got 3/4 Atletico defenders. People wouldn't be so kind on Juanfran if he were the only one.
Ronalidnhio is now available and who ever has the first pick will get him. Skizzo can rope in Ribery for a huge improvement over Sterling. Then either upgrade Miranda or the pole.

Annahnomoss

Ronalidnhio is now available and who ever has the first pick will get him. Skizzo can rope in Ribery for a huge improvement over Sterling. Then either upgrade Miranda or the pole.
Doesn't MJJ have first pick? But he has Kaka, Ribery, Hazard and Torres already so he will not pick up Ronaldinho. If TRV beats Theon then he would have the shot of picking up Ronaldinho but he honestly looks better of picking up Ribery.

Then you have Isotope, who would be winning the lottery if he gets to pick up Ronaldinho to play behind Suarez and Eto'o. Skizzo will do as always, pick up some very modest player that just suits his team perfectly and you won't rate it until he's playing the opponent.

Theon's upgrade is impossible to predict. He is tactically flexible and could go plenty of completely different routes with this team.

MJJ

Doesn't MJJ have first pick? But he has Kaka, Ribery, Hazard and Torres already so he will not pick up Ronaldinho. If TRV beats Theon then he would have the shot of picking up Ronaldinho but he honestly looks better of picking up Ribery.

Then you have Isotope, who would be winning the lottery if he gets to pick up Ronaldinho to play behind Suarez and Eto'o. Skizzo will do as always, pick up some very modest player that just suits his team perfectly and you won't rate it until he's playing the opponent.

Theon's upgrade is impossible to predict. He is tactically flexible and could go plenty of completely different routes with this team.

:keano:

crappycraperson

Scout

MJJ will get Ronaldinho