The moment Ibra lost my respect

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Devlish: "Right, that's it! You've gone too far this time, Ibrahimovic! Consider my respect revoked!"

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
van Basten is one of my all time favourite players and I rate him so highly that I'd argue he's the best striker of all time but I think your equivalent comparisons in the OP are slightly harsh. Ibrahimovic is an all time great in his own right. Sure, he's no MvB but there's only one van Basten.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is a weird thing to lose your respect over. He's done some shit over his life, making a stupid joke around his childhood idol doesn't really justify such reaction.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not for me Clive but he does tend to go after a lot of smaller players when he's having a pop on the pitch.

Picking on all 5'8" of Mavuba (3:30) is just weird. Man was born on a boat, give him a break.
What nonsense. Firstly almost all players are smaller than him.

And secondly, i don't know if you were watching united when ibra played for us but he certainly didn't pick the easy options. I remember him getting after that guy currently at villa who stood on his head and smashed him back. Countless other examples, which led to him saying people told him english football was meant tobe tough

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's about 6'4, there aren't many people taller than him. Also, how do you explain the Mings scrap? They've got to be a similar height.
It's the sort of bollocks people try and about Keane.

"Oh he didn't dare confront vinnie jones or duncan Ferguson" etc

Green_Red

Ibra is a great professional but his BS always rubbed in the wrong way for me. However I closed an eye or two to it up until this popped out

https://www.acmilaninfo.com/van-basten-reveals-how-ibrahimovic-provoked-him/

Van Basten also reveals a story about Zlatan Ibrahimovic during their time at Ajax: “I went back to Ajax as coach and a boy provoked me. You’re Van Basten, he said passing me the ball, show me what you can do. But I could no longer move my ankle. Who was he? I’m sure you know him. His name was Zlatan, his surname Ibrahimovic“.

He shouldn't have taunted a top top player like Van Basten that way especially at a time when Ibra was still unproven. And for the record, Van Basten was a way better player then Ibra ever was. He also won the CL twice and the ballon d'or three times. It would be like Andy Cole taunting Dennis Law, Steve Gerrard taunting Diego Armando Maradona or Nani taunting Cristiano Ronaldo.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How does that comparison even work?

Ekeke

Still the part I hate about him is the randomly kicking teammates thing. Nobody should get away with that

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Not for me Clive but he does tend to go after a lot of smaller players when he's having a pop on the pitch.

Picking on all 5'8" of Mavuba (3:30) is just weird. Man was born on a boat, give him a break.
I went through life for an embarrassingly long time without realising one reason I don't get into trouble/fights with other people is because of my height.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Ibra is a great professional but his BS always rubbed in the wrong way for me. However I closed an eye or two to it up until this popped out

https://www.acmilaninfo.com/van-basten-reveals-how-ibrahimovic-provoked-him/

Van Basten also reveals a story about Zlatan Ibrahimovic during their time at Ajax: “I went back to Ajax as coach and a boy provoked me. You’re Van Basten, he said passing me the ball, show me what you can do. But I could no longer move my ankle. Who was he? I’m sure you know him. His name was Zlatan, his surname Ibrahimovic“.

He shouldn't have taunted a top top player like Van Basten that way especially at a time when Ibra was still unproven. And for the record, Van Basten was a way better player then Ibra ever was. He also won the CL twice and the ballon d'or three times. It would be like Andy Cole taunting Dennis Law, Steve Gerrard taunting Diego Armando Maradona or Nani taunting Cristiano Ronaldo.
What?

Wilt

“Show me what you can do” :lol:

Call the police...

Handré1990

Let's just say it's a bit extreme. :lol:
I’ve had the exact opposite problem. Lots of idiots want to have a go when you’re 6.5. Have to say though, if you’ve never had any type of physical altercation I think that speaks to your character, in a good way!

SaintMuppet

He’s a bit of a dick I’ll grant you that but I imagine most vastly overpaid young sportsmen living in a bubble designed just for them are too!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't think it matters much if you watch more WWE. It happens all the time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This seems like a rather small event tbh. But I do think Zlatan's "awesome personality" is overrated and overhyped. His professionalism which has allowed him to age well is commendable but he isn't the first and I do think his supposed aura puts him on a pedestal that as a player he never did reach. Excellent player but some actually consider him to be an all time great or something which I don't agree with.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
What is Ibra without your respect. His entire life’s work for nothing

United Junkie

Ibra's Ajax stories are always like that.

He once provoked Mido into throwing scissors at him. He missed and Ibra was very lucky that day.
Or the story about him and Van der Vaart and Sylvie Meis. Wouldn't surprise me given he was treated like a God in his short period at Ajax.

Devil81

Clearly people are running out of football related thread ideas.

This ranks up there with Talk sports special for the 125th Anniversary of Ajax the other day.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The moment that 14 times football league winner Zlatan Ibrahimović lost the respect of 52,000 times Redcafe.net poster 'devilish' originally happened around 21 years ago but hadn't come to light until now.

As three times Ballon d'or explains: " I went back to Ajax as coach and a boy provoked me. You’re Van Basten, he said passing me the ball, show me what you can do. But I could no longer move my ankle. Who was he? I’m sure you know him. His name was Zlatan, his surname Ibrahimovic".

devilish upon hearing this said: "He shouldn't have taunted a top top player like Van Basten that way especially at a time when Ibra was still unproven. And for the record, Van Basten was a way better player then Ibra ever was. He also won the CL twice and the ballon d'or three times. It would be like Andy Cole taunting Dennis Law, Steve Gerrard taunting Diego Armando Maradona or Nani taunting Cristiano Ronaldo."

When questioned on the incident Ibrahimovic said: "I don't particularly remember the incident, but I'm devastated and losing the respect of 52,000 times internet posted 'devilish'. He's been following the game for a long time, so for him to say that hurts a lot. Did you know he once had an intimate relationship with a fish? I forget what type of fish it was, something with a funny name. Paddock? Quark? I don't know the name in English. Devilish is a great poster but his fish antics always rubbed in the wrong way for me. "

Worrying times.