The morning after the night before for Alexandre Jankewitz

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
- 19 years old.
- Making his full debut.
- Gets himself sent off inside 90 seconds of his debut.
- Watches his team being torn to shreds wholly because of him and their makeshift 10-men trying to hold on for dear life for a prolonged period of time.
- The PTSD of yet another 9-goal trouncing has to be dealt with in an already demoralised camp experiencing their 4th loss in a row.

Many pros have spoken about making their full debut; letting family know and having a big audience of friends and family watching/tuning in. It's very obviously a momentous occasion. Could you imagine watching that horror unfold?

I wonder how many 'it's not your fault' or 'S*!" happens' messages were offered in that dressing last night, not to mention the mood in training this morning. Also, how long does he sit in the doghouse before getting a chance to make some kind of amends?

He's probably lucky there are no fans at the moment. If his teammates and boss let him, he'll be afforded the chance to get over this in a shorter time frame than would probably have otherwise been likely.

I forgot to ask: with subsequent result and the amount of time he spent on the pitch, is this the worst debut to professional football in history? What others have been as calamitous?

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's probably walking around at training this morning going "what you feckers looking at? I didn't lose 9-0!"

Adamsk7

Losing 9-0 is not down to a 19 yr old making a mistake. That’s a shocking performance defensively. It’s often harder to break down 10 men. Southampton were low on confidence snd had a depleted squad so there’s a very good likelihood they would have lost by a high margin regardless.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What's even funnier is that he's actually been demanding first team football from them. Think he even gave them an ultimatum by handing in a transfer request.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’ve seen one or two twitter rumours (so take with a pinch of salt) which say he handed in a transfer request a week or two ago but got refused by the club.

Maybe this was a petulant act of rage against the club?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Honestly devastated for him and I said as much during the game. It was an absolute horror challenge but I don’t think he was being cynical or had any intention of hurting McTominay. He just had a bit too much adrenaline because of the occasion and probably reacted in the moment wanting to make an impression being committed and couldn’t have timed the tackle any worse. McTominay is particularly quick getting to the ball and it probably caught Jankewitz by surprise, coming from U23 football.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
nil nil until I went off lads!
:lol: I’d pay good money to watch a video of him saying that while smiling as they all trudged back into the changing room after the match.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
- Watches his team being torn to shreds wholly because of him and their makeshift 10-men trying to hold on for dear life for a prolonged period of time.
Sorry but this is rubbish. Plenty of sides go down to 10 men and still end up winning/drawing. Even if they lose they don’t get shat on 9-0. Yes, it didn’t help that he got sent off but it is not wholly his fault.

Siorac

Sorry but this is rubbish. Plenty of sides go down to 10 men and still end up winning/drawing. Even if they lose they don’t get shat on 9-0. Yes, it didn’t help that he got sent off but it is not wholly his fault.
I'll never forget fecking Chelsea trashing West Ham after going down to ten men and conceding a goal, back in 2006. They just roared back to score 4 as if they were a man up, not the opponent. It was so frustrating: it was during United's long winning run in the spring and when West Ham got their goal I started hoping that we might even reel Chelsea in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shame for him. It was the right decision, but I think it was over-eagerness than any kind of purposeful nastiness. He is partly responsible for the loss, but not in the manner they ended up losing.

I'm sure his dressing room will be behind him. I am more worried about the social media response.

Santos J

I’ve seen one or two twitter rumours (so take with a pinch of salt) which say he handed in a transfer request a week or two ago but got refused by the club.

Maybe this was a petulant act of rage against the club?
Yeah he did, just seems a bit of a hot head though, in his last 6 U23 games he's had 6 yellows and a red (from a second yellow)

Woodzy

Plenty of teams go down to 10 men and still get a result but I think the timing on this occasion definitely affected the performance.

There’s no way the Southampton players (and probably the manager too) don’t instantly start thinking ‘we’re fecked lads’ as soon as that red card happens. It would have massively affected the confidence levels and performance going forward.

If it happened 20-30 minutes later, after Southampton get a feel for the game, then maybe things could have been a lot different.

A lot of this result is the responsibility of the young lad that got sent off unfortunately.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm sure his dressing room will be behind him. I am more worried about the social media response.
I bet he genuinely doesn't get much stick. Southampton don't attract the kind of utter twat online "fan" that abuses their own players, in the same way the bigger clubs do.

Also, losing 4-0 or 5-0 is embarrassing and enraging. Losing 9-0 (for the second time recently) is so ridiculous that most of the Saints fans I know are laughing about it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
A makeshift side is under intense pressure to stay within the brief/remit they've been given pre-game. They're obviously not going to be as drilled and automated as the proper xi, so him getting sent off straight away is going to create more problems for a side that barely play with each other in a professional setting. It's a perfect storm. Probably doesn't pan out that way with their full-strength xi.

Glorio

I'll never forget fecking Chelsea trashing West Ham after going down to ten men and conceding a goal, back in 2006. They just roared back to score 4 as if they were a man up, not the opponent. It was so frustrating: it was during United's long winning run in the spring and when West Ham got their goal I started hoping that we might even reel Chelsea in.
I remember that! I think I remember Barca doing similar (might be wrong). Personally I think any team that loses to 10 men from a winning position and with time on the board needs to be ashamed of themselves if they play in the same league

Santos J

A makeshift side is under intense pressure to stay within the brief/remit they've been given pre-game. They're obviously not going to be as drilled and automated as the proper xi, so him getting sent off straight away is going to create more problems for a side that barely play with each other in a professional setting. It's a perfect storm. Probably doesn't pan out that way with their full-strength xi.
They had 2 players with less than 10 PL appearances for them this season playing, of course they were missing a lot but it was more a makeshift bench than first XI. It definitely wasn't a team that's "barely played with each other".

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I felt for the guy on a personal level but it was a very dangerous “tackle” and it’s not an exaggeration to say it could have been career ending.

Somebody probably told him to get a tackle in early on and he forced himself to launch one at the first opportunity.

Hopefully it is a lesson learnt and he goes on to have a good career.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I feel bad for him. It was moronic, but I feel bad for him. I imagine he had a lot of friends, family, old coaches and people who've supported him watching on TV. The weight of feeling like he let them down is probably harder to take than what happened after he went off.

Honestly, people get sent off early in games often and it's only led to a 9-0 loss twice in Premier League history. Both times it was Southampton. If they'd lost 3-0, sure, blame Jankewitz, but after the scoreline got to four or five it's not really on him anymore.

bsCallout

Too eager to stamp his authority on the game. . He'll come again.

Andersonson

From a young player demanding playing time, this is bad.

He might get more chances, and hopefully do alright.

Stormrage101MUFC

He's not the first player to get a red card on his debut, and he will not be the last.

Just don't go around trying to break players' legs from now on m'kay?

Jonno

What a horrible start to his career.

In his defence, a team going down to 10 men, should not mean conceding 9. The loss of 3 points you could argue he's largely contributed to, but -9 on the GD, that's on the 10 men still playing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
They had 2 players with less than 10 PL appearances for them this season playing, of course they were missing a lot but it was more a makeshift bench than first XI. It definitely wasn't a team that's "barely played with each other".
How many times do you think the xi that was out there yesterday have even run 10-men drills? That exact unit, I mean.

If you cobble together a side, the tactical plan is going to be more inflexible, logically. On top of that, having inferior players to the opposition means they would have been restricted further from the outset, very probably with specific job briefs for specific players. All of that goes belly up within 90-seconds and then the goals start pouring in, leading to more disarray and discombobulation.

I'd genuinely love to know how many inexperienced units have gone down to 10-men and preformed admirably.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The fact they lost, is pretty much down to his sending off. However, you can't blame his sending off for the 9-0 scoreline.

Its not the first time when a player has been sent off early in the game, and it won't be the last. However, in most cases, the scoreline is almost always respectable. It might be 4-0 or so, but it's not a ridiculous scoreline like what we saw yesterday. If it was any other manager, and not a highly rated manager like Hassenhuttl, we'd be blaming him for the trouncing.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He asked to leave recently too I believe.

But losing 9-0 isn't down to him. Other teams have gone down to 10 men early before and haven't capitulated like Saints last night.

We lost 6-1 to Spurs and people weren't blaming Martial. I know his card was more contentious than Jankewitz, but that isn't the point.

youngrell

Felt bad for him, knowing that it was his debut and probably had all his mates and family tuned in.

But, what struck me was his reaction to it. He did go over to see if Scott was ok, but he just seemed so emotionless overall. You would expect either frustration or for him to be distraught with how his debut went, but he just had this kind of expressionless gaze.

simplyared

Reflecting on the tackle, it was one of those 50/50 balls. We used to call them "hospital balls" where, if both players go all in there's a risk of somebody getting injured. You could risk injury by holding back also. Consequently not the best of situations for both players. McT was totally comitted. You could see by the way he went in. Borderline imo as his studs were actually showing. However the young lad's recklessness could have been a way of protecting himself. If he'd have had more experience he could have backed off and I'm convinced Scott would have received a yellow. A very unfortunate situation for a young lad making his debut!

FujiVice

Dion Dublin tore this lad to bits on Match of the Day. Treated him like a only half done up bathroom floor.