The most in form team in the Premier League……

VivaRonaldo85

Manchester United.

From the last 5 PL games.

Yes, it’s been a season of crisis, doom and misery so far. But sneakily, this lot are hanging on in there and currently the most in form team in the league.

Can it get any worse?? Well I’m not sure how given the injuries, sub standard performers, and list of dreadful refereeing/VAR decisions we’ve had to endure. So being positive for a moment (I know), maybe when we start to get key players back fit, refereeing decisions start to even themselves out, and last seasons quality performers start to find some sort of form again, maybe just maybe it’s not quite as ugly as it has felt.

6 points off the top of the PL, 3 points off the top 4.

Oscar Bonavena

Nah, don't fall for that shite. The 4 wins were Luton H, Fulham A, Brentford H, Sheff United A, all torturous one goal victories against poor opposition, with 3 of the goals coming in injury time.

Yes, the positives are despite how poor we're playing and our injuries we're still capable of ekeing out results against the "bottom third" teams in the league. It's something to cling on to at least.

But I don't think any United fan seriously believes our current form would be enough to beat the top half teams. Forget even City, Liverpool, Arsenal, would we be confident of beating Villa, Newcastle, Brighton if we were to play them next week?

Lee565

The small positive is that we are 6th place whilst playing terrible football and supposedly in the midst of a crisis, surely we will actually have a good spell soon and have players returning from injury whilst teams like villa, Newcastle and spurs begin the opposite type of form they have enjoyed at the start of the season

Wolfbot

Nah, don't fall for that shite. The 4 wins were Luton H, Fulham A, Brentford H, Sheff United A, all torturous one goal victories against poor opposition, with 3 of the goals coming in injury time.

Yes, the positives are despite how poor we're playing and our injuries we're still capable of ekeing out results against the "bottom third" teams in the league. It's something to cling on to at least.

But I don't think any United fan seriously believes our current form would be enough to beat the top half teams. Forget even City, Liverpool, Arsenal, would we be confident of beating Villa, Newcastle, Brighton if we were to play them next week?
I agree, I'm trying to enjoy the fact we're getting points on the board but it's hard not to feel deflated when you consider the general standard of the performances and particularly shocking finishing.

Our goal difference compared to the other teams we want to be in and around is embarassing and a huge red flag that I think indicates the way we're winning at the moment is unsustainable.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Brentford are one of the in-form teams as well actually. And who are Spurs and Newcastle losing to, or City a few weeks ago? Who did Liverpool draw to?

I'm not trying to say that United are amazing, but they're hardly the only team to face poor opposition and struggle - but they actually only lost to City in the past 5 league games.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

I do. We are going to win the league !

Todd

We're not 6 points off the top, we're actually 6 points off from 4th, in reality. Liverpool will demolish Sheffield tomorrow so Spurs will be in 4th on 26 points, which means we're 6 points adrift once goal differential is considered. And City will easily do Chelsea so we're really 10 points adrift from the top.

The nice thing is that once we come back from the break, four of the clubs above us are playing each other so that'll be an opportunity for us to close the gap, unless we lose at Everton, which is very likely.

Wilt

Without bothering to check

Utd have only beaten bottom half teams ….whereas lost against the top half teams?

cyberman

Never seen a fanbase play down their own wins like this before

F-Red

Without bothering to check

Utd have only beaten bottom half teams ….whereas lost against the top half teams?
Brentford is the only top half team we've beaten this year (assuming current league positions).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But this doesn't make sense. I was promised by people the players have given up

Wilt

Brentford is the only top half team we've beaten this year (assuming current league positions).
Have the feeling Brentford were bottom half when Utd played them?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We're not 6 points off the top, we're actually 6 points off from 4th, in reality. Liverpool will demolish Sheffield tomorrow so Spurs will be in 4th on 26 points, which means we're 6 points adrift once goal differential is considered. And City will easily do Chelsea so we're really 10 points adrift from the top.

The nice thing is that once we come back from the break, four of the clubs above us are playing each other so that'll be an opportunity for us to close the gap, unless we lose at Everton, which is very likely.
If Liverpool was playing Sheffield they might do.

Appletonred

Yes, we've definitely turned the corner, form is temporary, class is permanent....

Tiber

Most midfield teams would fancy their chances against Luton, Fulham and Sheffield united. We have scary games against big teams like Bournemouth and villa coming up

In a somewhat less sarcastic manner, it shows why you can't trust raw stats without context. The idea we are the league form team is laughable

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think it's very useful to talk about "form" and only include one competition.

Since the international break, United's form is 4W3L.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Car crash of a thread.
Next 7 matches.

Everton A
Newcastle A
Chelsea H
Bournemouth H
Liverpool A
West Ham A
Villa H

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

3 behind Liverpool, 5 behind Spurs and 6 behind City actually.

EvilChuck

The only team in the top half with a negative goal difference.

Our summer striker signing yet to score a league goal.

Still only 3 points off top 4.

Oscar Bonavena

Brentford are one of the in-form teams as well actually. And who are Spurs and Newcastle losing to, or City a few weeks ago? Who did Liverpool draw to?

I'm not trying to say that United are amazing, but they're hardly the only team to face poor opposition and struggle - but they actually only lost to City in the past 5 league games.
Brentford are decent enough but I think they were 15th when we played them and had been battered at home by Everton (who themselves were in shit form) around that time.

Our fixture list gets steeper between now and Christmas, only Bournemouth at home looks "easy", so we'll know after that where this team stands.

El Zoido

Such a weird season. Can’t get excited about this stat, every goal is hard labour, let alone winning a game. It’s quite impressive we’ve ground out these results but it hasn’t been pretty, and we get completely outclassed by anyone decent. We need to improve sharpish, and it’s hard to see that happening right now. Getting Shaw and Martinez back would be a big boost.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We really need Licha and Shaw back. It's sad that our two best ball players are defenders. They will change the way we play.

It's not a matter of 'players getting better while injured'. Licha was our best player last season and Shaw despite his flaws has the best first touch on the team and can actually function while pressed and make a pass.

el3mel

That stat literally means feck all. We just had the easiest run out of other teams. We have been facing relegation fodders one after another and yet barely managed to scrap a one goal win against all of them.

This is the literal definition of flattering to deceive.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's a bit mad that we haven't drawn a game for so long.

Clearly you can afford to lose quite a lot of games without massive damage just as long as you win all the others.

Jezpeza

Luck. Shouldnt have beat brentford. Only deserved a point at Fulham. Should beat sheff utd and luton - statistically part of the worst promoted 3 in PL history.

I’ll take it at the moment but believe we will revert to getting bashed against Newcastle Liverpool and Bayern. Everton Bournemouth and West Ham are dubious and we’ll get done in Turkey. Just not seeing any improvement on the pitch we just won narrowly because of luck or playing Piss poor teams. Its not the start of anything.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Reminds me of Spurs last season. They were playing shite but still top 3/4. But once the fixtures equalised somewhat, they got to their 'true' position based on their play which was 6/7/8.

If we judge how shit our attack has been without having the iron-clad defence of last season, our 'true position' is about where Spurs ended at as well.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
That stat literally means feck all. We just had the easiest run out of other teams. We have been facing relegation fodders one after another and yet barely managed to scrap a one goal win against all of them.

This is the literal definition of flattering to deceive.
You're a cheerful fella aren't you? :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
Reminds me of Spurs last season. They were playing shite but still top 3/4. But once the fixtures equalised somewhat, they got to their 'true' position based on their play which was 6/7/8.

If we judge how shit our attack has been without having the iron-clad defence of last season, our 'true position' is about where Spurs ended at as well.
You tag still cracks me up :lol:

tomaldinho1

Look what’s happened to every other club with a few injuries. City lost Rodri and KDB’s out they had a 3 game meltdown, Spurs immediately lost against a poor Wolves, Chelsea are lower than us in the table and had a lot of guys out, Newcastle lost and we’re completely outplayed by Bournemouth. We just have to keep grinding out these shit wins.

Baxquux

This is a good analogy -except we could only pray to have an ownership as hands-off and inclined to give the 'footballing chairman' as much power as Lewis gives Levy, for all their own problems and historic . Until Glazers are wrenched from formal decision-making power and everything that goes with it -including prioritizing commercial strategy where it affects footballing development, blocking transfers and dithering over acquisitions, putting a block on investment in long-term revenue streams like the stadium development or on technical improvement like training facilities - then we're always going to be 'punching below'. Wish they could just be forced to sell over share-price manipulation or some other infraction right now.