The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Red

Ridiculous logic this one. Almost like Pogba wishing City player injuries so that others can catch up.
Just sit back then and enjoy another season of frustration plus no CL next year plus players and managers not wanting to sign for us because we are crap and did I mention no CL?
Please enlighten me with your amazing display of logic.

Vadim

So what's in store for him then if he isn't in line for the boot?
I think what they're pointing out to you is that Jose isn't literally on Death Row, as you put it. This would imply that he's in jail and awaiting the lethal injection.

I do agree with the metaphor you've used though - Jose is just waiting to be sacked now, it's a case of when and not if.

AN17

10 signings made, not one looks performing at their peak.Bought 2 CBs and still has to rely on Jones and Smalling. Still persist with Valencia and Young makeshift fullbacks. Bought Matic and Fred but still has to rely on Fellaini to save the day. Third year and still no RW. Compare it with how Pep and Klopp has transformed their squads.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I genuinely think there’s four or five hardcore Mourinho fans on here who just can’t accept what’s blatantly in front of them. No matter what happens, they will blame players, the big bad media, Woodward etc. There’s definitely a collective blame here but it’s astonishing the lengths the hardcore Mourinho lads go to defend him.

I then think there’s an element that just won’t back down and admit it’s just not working for Mourinho as they’ve backed him to the hilt and won’t be seen to be wrong. It’s all about internet point scoring and they’re just so desperate to be proven right, they’ll defend him no matter what.

I hold my hands up, I really wanted Mourihno and was convinced he was the man to bring the glory days back. I was ecstatic when he took over and I genuinely believed he would really have an impact here. I was wrong, so wrong. It’s clearly not working for him and the football is soul destroying. I’m sorry, I can’t get excited about a half hour in a match at home against Spurs where we allegedly played like a prime Barca. A match we ultimately got humiliated in. That’s the shit his fans get excited about these days, it’s pathrtic. But once you’re holier than thou, that’s all that matters.
Tbf it's not just his fans who took that as a positive sign. I've been a constant critic of his since fairly early last season, but I did allow myself some cautious optimism because we were a little more aggressive and cohesive in our attacking play for a few games. So far though the only thing he has done is to prove me wrong to be optimistic.

RedDevil@84

Just sit back then and enjoy another season of frustration plus no CL next year plus players and managers not wanting to sign for us because we are crap and did I mention no CL?
Please enlighten me with your amazing display of logic.
So sit back and enjoy team losing, because hey once the manager gets fired, we become title challengers immediately and get CL and players flock to Utd for half wages.

Amazing logic.

Schneckerl

Oh wow it's nearly 60%.
Lets be real here, Mou should have been sacked after he bragged about eliminating United in the CL following the defeat vs Sevilla.

Robbie Boy

Tbf it's not just his fans who took that as a positive sign. I've been a constant critic of his since fairly early last season, but I did allow myself some cautious optimism because we were a little more aggressive and cohesive in our attacking play for a few games. So far though the only thing he has done is to prove me wrong to be optimistic.
The problem is, it shows how far we have fallen as a club and just how low standards are. I didn’t even think we played anything special, those performances should be par for the course at Old Trafford. A drubbing at home to Spurs in any other season would have been seen as a major feck up. This time it was celebrated and I just found it all very surreal, to be completely honest.

Also worth remembering, this is a fairly out of sorts Spurs and once they figured out our game plan, they capitalised and cut us open a fair few times. At best, a draw might have been fair. But feck me, some of the reactions to that game had me baffled.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We should have decided to back him in a major way in the summer or to make the change then.

We did neither and now it's going to be an akward repeat of a terrible result or two and pressure reaching fever pitch then easing a lot and so on

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Oh wow it's nearly 60%.
Lets be real here, Mou should have been sacked after he bragged about eliminating United in the CL following the defeat vs Sevilla.
Don’t think it was a sackable offence but still it was incredibly classless

Zoo

Mourinho, on the other hand, was creating conflict almost from day one. His attitude, according to one senior source at Old Trafford, was that “everything was shit … the training ground was shit, the players were shit, the medical staff were shit, the food was shit, the stadium was shit, everything.”

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
The problem is, it shows how far we have fallen as a club and just how low standards are. I didn’t even think we played anything special, those performances should be par for the course at Old Trafford. A drubbing at home to Spurs in any other season would have been seen as a major feck up. This time it was celebrated and I just found it all very surreal, to be completely honest.

Also worth remembering, this is a fairly out of sorts Spurs and once they figured out our game plan, they capitalised and cut us open a fair few times. At best, a draw might have been fair. But feck me, some of the reactions to that game had me baffled.
I agree with you. My optimism was more because I thought Mourinho was going to try something different. I doubted he'd succeed but I was willing to give him a little time. Have now lost my optimism again because imo our best performance was still that first half against Spurs, we showed no progress since then other than a few creative set pieces against Watford.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Mourinho, on the other hand, was creating conflict almost from day one. His attitude, according to one senior source at Old Trafford, was that “everything was shit … the training ground was shit, the players were shit, the medical staff were shit, the food was shit, the stadium was shit, everything.”
:(

fd212

Supports
Liverpool
Both deserve some blame here. Mourinho and his archaic ways and the player too, It is not like Pogba suddenly became a top 3 player. He has his own issues too. A great manager will need to manage and improve some of these players psych profiles. It's too much social media and fame these days rather than the hard work of playing on the field. Lots of balancing and uncertainties with certain top players. A manager has to manage more.

Minimalist

:lol: If that is true.

Deary me.

I'll say it again. We sold our soul when we hired Mourinho and if that source is being truthful, it's worse than I thought.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

I was hoping the article would actually name the players who were disgruntled with Mourinho. Mentions a growing list of them but fails to name anyone other than Pogba.

CA1

The players were quite shit, the medical staff were shit, the food at the stadium is shit don't know about the training ground, the stadium is decaying and looks worse every season you go.

So he has a point.

I imagine he was thoroughly underwhelmed when he got here by it all when you consider our reputation and the quality of clubs he's previously managed.

Wayne's World

If that's the case why don't he resign If he thinks everything is shit? I don't think anyone is going to miss him anyway

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

The manager is shit.

Le Red

So sit back and enjoy team losing, because hey once the manager gets fired, we become title challengers immediately and get CL and players flock to Utd for half wages.

Amazing logic.
So I'm supposed to believe that a manager is just a muppet who makes no difference in results or attracting better players?
Aditionally, am I supposed to ignore the numerous cases that a team swapped a failure of a manager for a better one and went on to actually play well and win titles?
Chelsea sacked Mourinho and won the league with Conte. Conte started stirring up trouble so they got rid instead of letting the ship sink, and are now doing well.
I do believe that changing the manager at the right time with the right person makes a world of difference. In our case, it doesn't mean title challenge but it could mean CL football and better signings.
But it's hard to promote those changes when the board and part of the fans believe that it's all cool as long as we beat Burnley and Watford every now and then. If losing one or two more matches is what takes to get rid of Mourinho, hell yeah I will take that. It's no use sticking to a rotten limb.
And no, I don't think all of our problems lie with Mourinho, but a better manager and better results will make it easier to adress the other problems in the near future.

C3Pique

But the iPad bunker! :(

Bobski

Has he really embraced the challenge or did the presence of Pep and his limitless City money ruin it for him before he started? Did Mou expect that privilege for himself, to be able to outspend everyone and have no restrictions whatsoever?

Look, his short term approach to building teams might have worked between 2013-16, that 3/4 year period when the PL was at a low ebb. If he becomes manager after Fergie perhaps he grinds out a title or 2 against mediocre opposition before the inevitable implosion. But with City and resurgent Liverpool to compete with now his approach looks to have a lower ceiling.

Utd > Mourinho.

Josh 76

When we got Mourhino, I was over the moon. From his first press conference when he said Rooney wasn't a CM player to Signing Pogba, Zlatan and the Bundersleiga player of the year. I was still convinced throughout the first year when he talked a good game, even though we started to play bad. But then it all started to change. He decisions baffled me, his approach to games were not right. He lost he invincibility. Last season was a joke. A complete joke. The title race was over when City battered us at Old Trafford again, and everyone fell into this thing about how we needed to finish second to cement our progress. Under Mourhino we won a Carling cup (or whatever it's called) where every premier league use it to rotate there squads and a European trophy that is for clubs that fail in their own leagues. The way Mourhino celebrated was embarrassing. He has criticised the club many times in his press conferences to make him self look good and thrown his own players under the bus too many times. He has turned all the media and pundits against this us and ruining the image of this great football club. We have become a laughing stock. Mourhino is finished as a coach, and unfortunately he has used Utd for his last pay check.

bucky

Our medical staff certainly were shite, but they still are. Something I expected to change with Mourinho.

bucky

What evidence have you got of that?
We regularly had one of the worst injury records for almost a decade. I have seen very little that we have improved that much. Mourinho's record at other clubs was certainly better.

Minimalist

We regularly had one of the worst injury records for almost a decade. I have seen very little that we have improved that much. Mourinho's record at other clubs was certainly better.
I'm actually aware of how frustrating our injuries have been for a long time. How that proves we have poor medical staff I don't know.

If you buy players that are injury prone (Phil Jones) it doesn't matter what state of the art care you have for them.

SqueakyWeasel

Shaw is the counterexample to this. He's been our best player so far this season and for the past few seasons he'd have been the prime example of a player people would have said had his confidence eaten away.
OK, fair enough I take your point and it's a valid one I'd overlooked.

I seem to remember that he was flying before the leg break over 3 years ago now under LvG (it seems so long ago now it's a bit of a blur). It has taken him the whole of Joses reign to find the player we've seen re-emerge this season under all those layers of puppy fat. I'd personally say it's probably little thanks goes to Jose who very publicly scolded him in post match pressers and program notes - right at the time when he needed to rebuild his confidence on and off the pitch.

Some might say that the tough love from Jose has obviously worked after nearly 2 years back but who knows how much quicker we might have seen him back if things were handled differently?

I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers and, as I said elsewhere in the post you've quoted, I think the problems run deep at every level of the club from owners to board to management to players. The main take-away from my post (if there actually was one) is that most of our problems are not immediately fixable but the one that should be easy to fix is dressing room morale - but that would mean Jose has to admit there is a problem with his management style and that is almost certainly never going to happen.

Fracture90

Watching Liverpool vs. Chelsea and it amazes me how quickly Chelsea players have bought into Sarri's style and philosophy. What a turn from pragmatic, defensive style they had under Conte.

bucky

I'm actually aware of how frustrating our injuries have been for a long time. How that proves we have poor medical staff I don't know.

If you buy players that are injury prone (Phil Jones) it doesn't matter what state of the art care you have for them.
Jones wasn't injury prone before he joined. If I'm not mistaken he had one bad injury and that was it. He was young as well, so there was no way of knowing that this was how it was going to go. Bailly wasn't that injury-prone either. Or Ander Herrera. Saying we haven't mismanaged our players or not taken care of them as well as other clubs do is turning a blind eye.

C3Pique

There we go. Ponytail guy is the press officer. Jose is pissed because Pogba was posting on Instagram when we were losing.

Vadim

I'm watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game now. Sarri has Chelsea playing, after being in charge for just a handful of games, better football than anything we've played under Mourinho who has been here for more than two seasons now.

And what has Sarri spent? Not exactly a fortune apart from replacing his no.1 GK because they sold Courtois. We've got to stop making excuse for Jose and act sooner rather than later.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
I'm watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game now. Sarri has Chelsea playing, after being in charge for just a handful of games, better football than anything we've played under Mourinho who has been here for more than two seasons now.

And what has Sarri spent? Not exactly a fortune apart from replacing his no.1 GK because they sold Courtois. We've got to stop making excuse for Jose and act sooner rather than later.
Mourinho did wonders at Chelsea too, stupid comparison as quite clear Chelsea is the team coaches come and go while succeeding in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.