The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

simon brooks

Too much has gone on. There is no turning this around. Let's be honest, neither I, other fans and the so called experts enjoyed our play over the last 3 seasons anyway. We may have been 2nd but it was tumescent at times. So let's not turn this around back to tumescent.
Options going forward. Sack Mourinho and put in place a hard and fair temp already accustomed to the current squad. Carrick, bring in Scholes as a consultant a few days a week. I suggest a sports psychologist for motivation and insert that winning mentality again.
An open air all grievances session on what went wrong. Pick the strongest team possible and let them loose an watch a potential miracle in energy.
We have a run of games coming up after the International break that are not easy. He needs to go now and get this sorted ASAP. The season is not lost yet. However in 4 or 5 weeks it could be.
Never leave the field saying you could have done more.

Cloud7

Bayern Munich are a well run club were the players sacked two managers in the last 7 years. Barcelona and Madrid aren't special cases because of Messi/Cristiano, it was the same with Ronaldinho and Zidane, and all throughout their history. Barcelona players got a member of the board sacked, nevermind managers. When teams do well, the players have all the power, always

And i wasn't talking about Pogba. Was more alluding to the many "player power will destroy the club" posts that have popped up recently.

And no manager can survive having the key figures of his team turning on him. Not unless the club is willing to throw a season away
This needs to be copied and pasted anytime someone talks about “player power ruling the club” and what a “nightmare” it is.

No one has of yet been able to give an example of player power negatively affecting a top club, yet it seems to be talked about on here like the the worst thing that could ever happen.

Cloud7

If they make a clear statement of backing Mourinho over the players what choice do they have? Why did players never rebel against SAF?... because he was such a lovely man?
By all accounts he was a lovely man, and a great leader. He inspired his players, protected them and found ways to get through to all different personalities of player, that would be why.

In terms of building team spirit the great man was a universe ahead of the Mourinho of 2018, that’s why so few players rebelled, and the ones that did did not do so because of him mismanaging the team.

Denis79

If they make a clear statement of backing Mourinho over the players what choice do they have? Why did players never rebel against SAF?... because he was such a lovely man?
Most of his former players genuinely like him and the rest respect him. I think he was a excellent people person.

criticalanalysis

By all accounts he was a lovely man, and a great leader. He inspired his players, protected them and found ways to get through to all different personalities of player, that would be why.

In terms of building team spirit the great man was a universe ahead of the Mourinho of 2018, that’s why so few players rebelled, and the ones that did did not do so because of him mismanaging the team.
The thing is this 'great leader, inspired his players' thing is not even a Fergie TM. Sure he was the GOAT at it but you look across pretty much every other club in the league and their managers are all able to do that.

Mourinho is just choking full time with his outdated methodology and coaching or rather the lack of it.

Cloud7

The thing is this 'great leader, inspired his players' thing is not even a Fergie TM. Sure he was the GOAT at it but you look across pretty much every other club in the league and their managers are all able to do that.

Mourinho is just choking full time with his outdated methodology and coaching or rather the lack of it.
Oh I agree, I was just responding to the poster asking why players never rebelled against Ferguson. To add to your point, I would also say it’s pretty easy to not criticize your players in public and cultivate negativity in your own camp. There only really seems to be one manager in top flight football who seems to struggle with this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No one has of yet been able to give an example of player power negatively affecting a top club, yet it seems to be talked about on here like the the worst thing that could ever happen.
Well i could bring plenty of examples from madrid and barcelona. Although in most of those cases the problem was exacerbated by the way the clubs tried to deal with it. Ultimately though, if you're a big club, successful, you probably have many star players on your team, and it's inevitable that those star players will hold a lot of power. Some players are simply too good to lose them because you don't care about keeping them happy. It's about keeping the right balance. You can't let the players run the club, but at the same time, replacing one world class player right away is hard enough. Multiple players is next to impossible. And world class players are what wins you trophies. You could create a super-manager hybrid of SAF, Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho, and he'd win the sum total of feck all with Cardiff's players.

Cloud7

Well i could bring plenty of examples from madrid and barcelona. Although in most of those cases the problem was exacerbated by the way the clubs tried to deal with it. Ultimately though, if you're a big club, successful, you probably have many star players on your team, and it's inevitable that those star players will hold a lot of power. Some players are simply too good to lose them because you don't care about keeping them happy. It's about keeping the right balance. You can't let the players run the club, but at the same time, replacing one world class player right away is hard enough. Multiple players is next to impossible. And world class players are what wins you trophies. You could create a super-manager hybrid of SAF, Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho, and he'd win the sum total of feck all with Cardiff's players.
Sure it can be an issue, but I’ve seen quotes on here such as “the day player power rules this club is the day we stop being a top football club” or “the day players can get a player sacked is the day I pack it in with football”. These are the kind of things I can’t wrap my head around, like why is this viewed as such a nightmare scenario? Like you said, there have been many examples of it at Real and Barça and yet the clubs have got on fine. Same with Chelsea.

Of course, this is all moot to me considering that I don’t see anyone out of control at United or leading a mutiny like some suggest. We have an underperforming manager and players who know they could be doing better and want to be playing better football. That’s it.

el3mel

All these were true and good but no player could repel against Fergie because it was always ending one way which is out. Any player who entered a problem with Fergie ended up out and regretting it later. Everyone knew that Fergie was never leaving but the players would be at any time. Currently our set of players get annoyed by the manager and they easily push him out. Happened under LVG and is happening under Mourinho now. These players aren't even winners and have done feck all to the club to justify all that.

Mourinho has history of falling with the dressing room but it's not like our players were angels under Moyes and LVG let's be honest. With this rate there's nothing preventing them in repeating it with the next manager once they get bored with his methods, unless we brought a babysitter not a manager.

That doesn't mean Mourinho should stay but it means that the players who are turning on the manager shouldn't be staying either, otherwise the next manager will follow the same route sooner or later and the circus won't stop.

Mainoldo

All these were true and good but no player could repel against Fergie because it was always ending one way which is out. Any player who entered a problem with Fergie ended up out and regretting it later. Everyone knew that Fergie was never leaving but the players would be at any time. Currently our set of players get annoyed by the manager and they easily push him out. Happened under LVG and is happening under Mourinho now. These players aren't even winners and have done feck all to the club to justify all that.

Mourinho has history of falling with the dressing room but it's not like our players were angels under Moyes and LVG let's be honest. With this rate there's nothing preventing them in repeating it with the next manager once they get bored with his methods, unless we brought a babysitter not a manager.

That doesn't mean Mourinho should stay but it means that the players who are turning on the manager shouldn't be staying either, otherwise the next manager will follow the same route sooner or later and the circus won't stop.
Our players? So the problem is De Gea, the chuckle brothers, Valencia and Young not to forget Fellaini. No one else has lasted the other two managers. Maybe the new manager should do us all a favour and get rid of them. He’ll be on easy street.

Plenty players have rebelled against Fergie and survived he was just shewed enough who and who not to let go off. Must public example was Rooney.

Cloud7

You’re talking about three completely different groups of players though.

Under Moyes it was the old guard, Rio, Vida, Evra etc who rebelled against Moyes, and might I add that I fully supported that. Players who coincidentally people talk about that we could use their “mental fortitude and leadership” in our team of leaderless wimps :rolleyes:

Under Vangle was it not Rooney, Giggs and Carrick who were the most displeased? There were stories being leaked that were identified as being from a senior player at the club, at a time when most of the players were quite young and new to the club, again these players who seemed central to this are no longer here. Regardless, most of the players in general from his team are no longer important here, unless you want to assume that Smalling, Jones and Valencia are inciting unrest against the manager?

Mourinho’s team is made up of vastly different players, most of whom were signed by Mourinho himself, yet he can’t get a tune out of them and manages to turn them on himself. It’s all well and good saying, “well the players are making a habit of this” but when you actually analyze that it makes no sense at all. We don’t have a player power problem at United, we have had underperforming managers and fans who look for every excuse under the sun to excuse these managers, player power just being the latest one in a long line.

el3mel

Our players? So the problem is De Gea, the chuckle brothers, Valencia and Young not to forget Fellaini. No one else has lasted the other two managers. Maybe the new manager should do us all a favour and get rid of them. He’ll be on easy street.

Plenty players have rebelled against Fergie and survived he was just shewed enough who and who not to let go off. Must public example was Rooney.
They survived because they understood the rule, that there's only one way which is out. Currenlty if you're annoued with the manager methods lose some games and the manager will get fired while you're enjoying your salaries.

If these players were winners or done a lot for the club I would have said "ok, at least they did a lot to the club so they deserve some power" but then I look at the club and bar De Gea, they all have done feck all to the club and they themselves let the fans down loads of times so why should they earn that power to push managers out ? There's no reason to think that with good man management they will start firing up except wishful thinking. At least at Madrid and Chelsea the players were winners and have league titles under their belt while giving a lot to the club.

No one is defending Mourinho at the moment as he doesn't deserve, but I don't find any reason for me to jump and defend the players as well, bar De Gea they have done nothing and let us down several times over the past years, either new or old players. Only De Gea waa giving his 100% every year even after the fax machine thing.

Last edited:

el3mel

You’re talking about three completely different groups of players though.

Under Moyes it was the old guard, Rio, Vida, Evra etc who rebelled against Moyes, and might I add that I fully supported that. Players who coincidentally people talk about that we could use their “mental fortitude and leadership” in our team of leaderless wimps :rolleyes:

Under Vangle was it not Rooney, Giggs and Carrick who were the most displeased? There were stories being leaked that were identified as being from a senior player at the club, at a time when most of the players were quite young and new to the club, again these players who seemed central to this are no longer here. Regardless, most of the players in general from his team are no longer important here, unless you want to assume that Smalling, Jones and Valencia are inciting unrest against the manager?

Mourinho’s team is made up of vastly different players, most of whom were signed by Mourinho himself, yet he can’t get a tune out of them and manages to turn them on himself. It’s all well and good saying, “well the players are making a habit of this” but when you actually analyze that it makes no sense at all. We don’t have a player power problem at United, we have had underperforming managers and fans who look for every excuse under the sun to excuse these managers, player power just being the latest one in a long line.
You have basically said all the 3 managers got the players repelling on them and pushing them out but then you say we have no player problem at the club ? The concept itself is around.

I actually didn't say Moyes from the start because most of his squad was thrown out by LVG in his firsr summer, but the main core of LVG team has stayed with Mourinho. We have added players but we didn't sell much to say the squad has drastically changed. Mourinho has only sold 5 players of the squad LVG left.

Again no one is excusing the managers. It's just lame to centralize all our problems under the manager category and convincing ourselves everything else is fine. No one wants Mourinho to stay as much as no one wanted LVG to stay, but we're trying to look beyond our feet.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Players aren't underperforming intentionally. That simply doesn't happen. They're unhappy, unmotivated and growing increasingly detached. But there's no way they're failing on purpose to get the manager sacked.

Mainoldo

They survived because they understood the rule, that there's only one way which is out. Currenlty if you're annoued with the manager methods lose some games and the manager will get fired while you're enjoying your salaries.

If these players were winners or done a lot for the club I would have said "ok, at least they did a lot to the club so they deserve some power" but then I look at the clubs and bar De Gea, they all have done feck all the club and they themselves let the fans down loads of times so why should they earn that power to push managers out ? There's no reason to think that with good man management they will start firing up except wishful thinking. At least at Madrid and Chelsea the players were winners and have league titles under their belt while giving a lot to the club.

No one is defending Mourinho at the moment as he doesn't deserve, but I don't find any reason for me to jump and defend the players as well, bar De Gea they have done nothing and let us down several times over the past years, either new or old players. Only De Gea waa giving his 100% every year even after the fax machine thing.
That’s Chelsea team was one of the most boring title winning sides in years. No one feared their potential domination we didn’t even with Conte. Like I said earlier if it wasn’t for Pep we would have been a carved out copy of Mourinho’s 3 season blueprint. Out the straps running then downtoolsing to the title to them him convincing us the squad is crap. So I don’t see what this winners arguement has to do with anything. Hazard more of a winner than Pogba now? I don’t think so.

Who are they? Like I said bar the names I’ve mentioned these are a new set of players. Has Matic let you down over the years? Lukaku? You have no affliction to this group stop acting like it’s a player problem.

Cloud7

You have basically said all the 3 managers got the players repelling on them and pushing them out but then you say we have no player problem at the club ? The concept itself is around.

I actually didn't say Moyes from the start because most of his squad was thrown out by LVG in his firsr summer, but the main core of LVG team has stayed with Mourinho. We have added players but we didn't sell much to say the squad has drastically changed. Mourinho has only sold 5 players of the squad LVG left.

Again no one is excusing the managers. It's just lame to centralize all our problems under the manager category and convincing ourselves everything else is fine. No one wants Mourinho to stay as much as no one wanted LVG to stay, but we're trying to look beyond our feet.
This happens at every club. If your manager isn’t performing then there will be issues with players. This isn’t a problem unique to United, as @giorno pointed out in this thread, nor is it the end of the world. At the end of the day if the manager does his job well, there won’t be any issues with the players.

The players who have remained from Vangle’s time all performed for him to the best of their ability, and never said a bad word against them. Martial, rashford, Herrera, Shaw, none of them showed any kind of discontent under LVG, so pointing to them still being here doesn’t strengthen your point. Funny that you would mention the players José sold, as one of them was our very own top scorer, who rebelled against Sir Alex, publicly questioned the clubs direction and quality of players that we were signing, and was rewarded with a shiny new contract. Was that SAF “caving in to player power” or was that him realizing that the iron fist isn’t always the best option.

Like you say, our problems aren’t just the manager, we have structural deficiencies in the club, some of our players aren’t good enough, but the manager is central to the problems that we see in front of us, first and foremost. Motivation, tactics, team shape, all these things are determined by the manager. If the manager can’t get through to the players, that is on them. Truly great managers find ways to make all types of players perform for them.

Cloud7

Players aren't underperforming intentionally. That simply doesn't happen. They're unhappy, unmotivated and growing increasingly detached. But there's no way they're failing on purpose to get the manager sacked.
Exactly. This is their career as well, they don’t want to purposely look bad. People simply think that players are robots who should be able to go out there and perform at the top level regardless of how they’re motivated, coached etc.

The whole “players downing tools” just seems like a convenient excuse used by the media and fans to try and point the finger at someone besides the underperforming manager.

el3mel

That’s Chelsea team was one of the most boring title winning sides in years. No one feared their potential domination we didn’t even with Conte. Like I said earlier if it wasn’t for Pep we would have been a carved out copy of Mourinho’s 3 season blueprint. Out the straps running then downtoolsing to the title to them him convincing us the squad is crap. So I don’t see what this winners arguement has to do with anything. Hazard more of a winner than Pogba now? I don’t think so.

Who are they? Like I said bar the names I’ve mentioned these are a new set of players. Has Matic let you down over the years? Lukaku? You have no affliction to this group stop acting like it’s a player problem.
Some times I think don't even read the posts and say what they know anyway. When did I say the squad is crap ? I said the squad won the club nothing so far and didn't give the club anything to justify siding with them or giving them power. Boring or not ( don't understand what is that related to anything actually) this Chelsea won the league twice under 2 different managers and proved their worth for power as much as Madrid players did too, and of course, Hazard gave Chelsea far more than what Pogba gave us, while playing under defensively minded coaches all the time as well but leading them to 2 title winners and PFA player of the year. If I have a player who gave me all this under defensive coaches I will let him choose the next manager he wants himself if he wants.

Mourinho has only sold 5 players from LVG squad. He added players, but didn't sell much, unlike what LVG did with Moyes team when he threw it fully outside.

el3mel

This happens at every club. If your manager isn’t performing then there will be issues with players. This isn’t a problem unique to United, as @giorno pointed out in this thread, nor is it the end of the world. At the end of the day if the manager does his job well, there won’t be any issues with the players.

The players who have remained from Vangle’s time all performed for him to the best of their ability, and never said a bad word against them. Martial, rashford, Herrera, Shaw, none of them showed any kind of discontent under LVG, so pointing to them still being here doesn’t strengthen your point. Funny that you would mention the players José sold, as one of them was our very own top scorer, who rebelled against Sir Alex, publicly questioned the clubs direction and quality of players that we were signing, and was rewarded with a shiny new contract. Was that SAF “caving in to player power” or was that him realizing that the iron fist isn’t always the best option.

Like you say, our problems aren’t just the manager, we have structural deficiencies in the club, some of our players aren’t good enough, but the manager is central to the problems that we see in front of us, first and foremost. Motivation, tactics, team shape, all these things are determined by the manager. If the manager can’t get through to the players, that is on them. Truly great managers find ways to make all types of players perform for them.
As I said, I will have no problem with player power if the players deserve it. My problem is, I don't see it with our bunch of players tbh. Nothing suggesting with better man management they will start to perform. That's more of a wishful thinking imo.

As usual from the Caf when it comes to Rooney 2 issues you're massively overestimating them. He didn't want to push Fergie out. He just wanted the club to sign better players as Ozil and to not be left behind by the rivals. He wasn't trying to force himself or Fergie out. If Fergie thought he had crossed the line he would have been sold but he didn't, it was just the fans interpreting it like that imo, but anyway that's another long discussion.

My point in short is if players want power at the club they should earn it, that's it. I'm not against or with it. I'm against giving power to players who did nothing so far for the club.

Cloud7

As I said, I will have no problem with player power if the players deserve it. My problem is, I don't see it with our bunch of players tbh. Nothing suggesting with better man management they will start to perform. That's more of a wishful thinking imo.

As usual from the Caf when it comes to Rooney 2 issues you're massively overestimating them. He didn't want to push Fergie out. He just wanted the club to sign better players as Ozil and to not be left behind by the rivals. He wasn't trying to force himself or Fergie out. If Fergie thought he had crossed the line he would have been sold but he didn't, it was just the fans interpreting it like that imo, but anyway that's another long discussion.

My point in short is if players want power at the club they should earn it, that's it. I'm not against or with it. I'm against giving power to players who did nothing so far for the club.
Fair enough mate. I can see where you’re coming from. I guess where we differ is that I genuinely do believe that this bunch of players can be doing much better under a better manager. Is it league winning better? Who knows, but definitely enough to play some entertaining attacking football.

We can agree to disagree on this. It was a good chat nonetheless :)

I agree that the Rooney topic is one for another day, but it would definitely be an interesting one to revisit at some point.

Mainoldo

Some times I think don't even read the posts and say what they know anyway. When did I say the squad is crap ? I said the squad won the club nothing so far and didn't give the club anything to justify siding with them or giving them power. Boring or not ( don't understand what is that related to anything actually) this Chelsea won the league twice under 2 different managers and proved their worth for power as much as Madrid players did too, and of course, Hazard gave Chelsea far more than what Pogba gave us, while playing under defensively minded coaches all the time as well but leading them to 2 title winners and PFA player of the year. If I have a player who gave me all this under defensive coaches I will let him choose the next manager he wants himself if he wants.

Mourinho has only sold 5 players from LVG squad. He added players, but didn't sell much, unlike what LVG did with Moyes team when he threw it fully outside.
Yes I do kind of stop reading from time to time, because I wonder where your point is going. If they are not winners then they must not be that good? If they are good and you believe that why not get another manager to get a better tune out of them then? It’s a simple why is this more beneficial to keep this guy in? It proves nothing but stubbornness. We have a higher chance of getting relegated than winning the league this season and I don’t see what that would prove to anyone. Maybe then Mourinho could try his luck of managing Mitrovic and James Chester in the Championship?

I didn’t ask what Hazard has given Chelsea I asked if he is more of a winner? I’m sure Pogba’s trophy cabinet says different. Selling 5 players from LVG’s squad does not answer this player power question as like I said. Only De Gea; Chuckle Bro’s; Young and Fellaini have lasted all three managers and I doubt Jones is kicking up a fuss because he’s no longer taking corners.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Blame the players all you want, but Mourinho is a couple of players short from fielding an entire first 11 that he himself brought to the club.

Bailly and Lindelof: Two CBs he brought in and doesn't seem to fancy now.

Pogba: his record signing, fell out with him and doesn't seem to know how to bring out the best in him even though a limited coach like Deschamps is seemingly able to do it.

Fred: Does he actually like Fred? Will give him the benefit of the doubt since we are still early in the season.

Matic and Lukaku: his most loyal players and the two he has criticized the least, both are currently under performing.

Sanchez: Either the lad turned to shit over night, or he was a bad fit for the team to begin with, or Jose doesn't know how to get the best out of him. I find the first option very unlikely, and the other two options both don't reflect well on Mourinho.

Let's not forget Micky T.

How can the board back him? He is falling out with and stopped rating the players he asked for and splashed a ton of cash on! This is his team now. It's his "heritage".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s clear as day that he is feckless and toxic at this point. Sack him immediately so we can save our good players for the next manager.

Theonas

Scout
It's not about choice, it's about creating an environment where no one is happy or motivated to perform. Their agents will agitate for moves and the whole thing will become a circus. The other problem is that it will set a precedent whereby players will think twice before signing for us because we will be pretty much the only club in the world who prefers to alienate the playing staff in order to preserve the ego of the manager. This could not happen under Fergie because: A) he chose his battles as in he never fell out with more than 1 or 2 players at the same time and in most cases their best days were behind them anyway and B) Fergie built the modern Manchester United in a way no other manager comes close to doing in the modern game. When you do something unique, you get afforded unique privileges.

ErranMorad

The numbers on the poll are exactly how I expect Trump's numbers to be if the Muller report comes up with something conclusive on the Russian collusion regarding his involvement. About 10%-15% who would plainly refuse to believe it, & about 15%-20% who'll remain in denial despite every evidence pointing towards the obvious, and say so what, let's see if he can make still MAGA.

Sb_16

You know what, for anyone here on the Cafe still Jose in, I am just going to leave this clip I found at reddit.

Look at the forward passing, the movement , the aggression. Compare it with the shit that is being served at our beloved football club today. We still have time to salvage this season by appointing a new manager ( like Klopp at liverpool after they sacked Brendan) and I hope Ed woodward has the balls to make the decision. We would be losing a lot more than 25 million pounds if this guy is our manager till the end of this season.

If anyone is still Jose in after watching this clip, please explain how you think he is going to fix things. Honestly if you ask me, he is a lost cause.
That felt so refreshing. Back then I must have cursed Berbatov instead of admiring the chance created. How times have changed.

Expectation have been lowered. We don't have a god given right to win titles every year but we sure do to be entertained. Isn't that what sports are about. Some may say we don't have good enough players to play attractive football. Well guess what, half of the purchased players are Jose's. Yet still championship teams play better football than us.

Apokalips

100% this.

midnightmare

Last season, a weaker squad finished second, comfortably, walked the CL group and got to the final of the FA Cup. Can't see us doing that this season. That's on the manager and not the players. And all this - when last season too, the argument was that Jose wasn't getting the best out of the options he had. How many can say that his tactics and selections aren't baffling?

Now, let me give you an analogy.
Say you work for an enterprise you really like. They pay you fabulously, treat you well, you get along with all your colleagues and stakeholders etc. and are content to stay there for a long time. Next thing you know, you get put under a manager that hangs you out to dry at the drop of a hat, asks you to work in ways you know are sub-optimal and destined to fail and you find yourself dropping behind your company's competition as a result. You also find that all your team-mates are similarly frustrated. This affects company morale of course and people are just miserable in office - and spend the post-office drinks sessions to exchange horror stories. What do you do? In the corporate world, you'd quit and find another job OR go to your seniors and ask for your manager to be sacked / replaced. If the seniors have any sense, they accede and remove the manager. But what if quitting and moving isn't the easiest option? What if it requires you to pay off an employment bond / get your next employer to pay it off?

The management's failure to remove your manager wouldn't mean you "stop trying" or "try to fail" because it kills your career too. But what else can be expected from the company and your team, apart from failure? You see it daily -and frustration keeps rising, but hey, you're stuck! With time, you will find your energy levels lower and your frustrations resulting in occasional pettiness. You're still doing the best you can, but performance levels start dipping. It's inevitable.

For the record, I've seen such situations even in Management Consulting, where a bad manager / Principal can ruin the output of a team of absolutely brilliant consultants who're trying their best, but are suffering because of the person/persons above.

Remember the old credo: If you're facing a lot of attrition in a team, look at the manager first as the root cause.

Remember that players don't select the team and nor do they select formations and tactics. They are also aware that a failure to adhere to the manager's diktats will result in their being dropped - and therefore, their value and attractiveness to other clubs also dropping. How do you think this won't affect motivation?

As for the players - remember that a lot of these came at Mou's demand - Pogba, Lukaku, Alexis, Bailly, Lindelöf, Matic, Fred and now Dalot, are all Mou signings. How many is he able to get a tune out of and how many are living up to the potential that the world knows they have? Lukaku's numbers were better for Everton, I think and Alexis' fall has been legendary. Pogba is our best player - and Mou can't stop fighting with him and demanding he be shot? He wanted Shaw sold (second best behind Pogba now). He bemoans the lack of "leaders" and captains the mute Valencia.

It's clear as day - the squad is pulling on, but the tactics and selections are baffling and they're demotivated with a toxic atmosphere and environment. There's no way a new manager doesn't fix some of the issues - and a good one, most of them. Squad gaps may remain, but who doesn't have those? Who is Liverpool's midfield creator? Milner? Wijnaldum? Yet, they're so far ahead of us, it's not funny!

Amir

It's definitely a factor though. I'm sure Jose wanted more than just a new CB too.
If I saw him getting more out of the players he signed - including centerhalves, including attackers - I could have accepted that. In reality, we've had players carrying the manager, so obviously he would have liked newer, better ones, but that's just not sustainable.

Even if you say falling further behind City, and falling behind Liverpool, is an acceptable result of the lack of signings - the performances we've been seeing and the results against the likes of Brighton, Derby, West Ham, Wolves, etc - are not.

Amir

I honestly don't think it's been about effort (for the most part) in the last few seasons. I'm looking at Sanchez for instance - his problems are not due to the lack of trying. The team is just not functioning, for whatever reason, and that is on the coach. When it's so bad, an outfield player will struggle to shine. It's far easier for the goalkeeper so I'm not surprised people would think De Gea has been the one player giving all he has, but its just not true.

Amir

Yep. They might not be giving absolutely everything, but that wouldn't change much. The problem is not the lack of trying, it's the quality. They do want to win. It's just not working.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think if you look at the poll on Jose in or out, nearly 75% of the fans on that thread now want Jose sacked sooner rather than later, it's just with the Glaziers and Woodward at the helm they will most definitely drag their feet and the problem as you so eloquently put will only get worse and even 10th may beyond us with Jose managing the club for the rest of theseason.

• Last year in our first 10 games all competitions P10 W8 D1 L1 GS 29 GC6
  • The year before in Jose First season P10 W7 D0 L3 GS18 GC10
  • This year in P10 W4 D3 L3 GS15 GC14
So over three years Jose starts with a 70% win rate, his teams score an average of 1.8 goals per game and average conceed 1 goal per game, wins the community shield and safely through to 4th round of Carabo cup in his first season.

Year 2 he starts with a bang, causing all the fickle United fans to think we are back serenading Jose as the special one. He has a 80% win rate, his team are free scoring at 2.9 av per game and the defence looks air tight with only 6 goals conceeded, again safely through to 4th round of Carabo and 6 points out of 6 in the CL, we become deluded and start dreaming of PL or dare I say it CL. The real reason for the up turn in form is Jose wants a new contract and uses PSG as stick to beat Ed Woodward with!

Year 3 Jose Meltdown starts pre season with his moaning about his squad and Transfer inactivity for an Elite CB. Most fans agree with him but we do not agree with his constant criticism of young and star players. He clearly wants the sack and a £24M payoff because he's setting up his teams in the strangest of ways, almost as if he's been a fraud all his career. So we now have a pathetic win rate of 40%, We average our worst goals scored per game at 1.5 and our defence has detoriated to such a level that we conceed an average of 1.4 goals per game, even when we park the bus at most home games. We are also averaging 1.71 goals conceeded in the premier league after 7 games which over a 38 game season would mean this United team would conceed 65 goals. Just let that sink in for one moment! Plus of course we have been eliminated by a championship team in the 3rd round of the Carabo cup!

It's clear for all to see that this United side under Jose current inept leadership in all areas of the game is in dramatic decline and if Ed Woodward or the Glaziers could be bothered to look at the stats, they would have pulled the trigger after West Ham!
Maybe we can sue him for gross mismanagement/fraud?:wenger:

Agree though that the Glazers are deluded if they think he can turn around anything. It's not in his nature.

JohnnyKills

I think it's more that all top clubs have player power now. If you make bad managerial choices, the players will just push them out. And United have made three bad choices, we'd all agree on that.

ErranMorad

Will be hilarious if Madrid sack their manager before us
They won't hesitate if things go this bad. In fact, he would have gone last season after his shenanigans after the Sevilla defeat. He wouldn't have been allowed to carry on after he demeaned the club.

Bet you, Madrid will get Poch too, while we keep debating his lack of trophies.

We would wait to sack him until we are mathematically out of the top and will then appoint whoever is a name in football and is out of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.