The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Out team are under-coached.

We looked like we had no idea how to play against them... Or how to press... Or how to do anything really.
This is nothing new. We look clueless on a weekly basis. We just get away with it because of the individual quality of our players.

Treble

He's doing worse than Moyes. After 400m investments in the team and 2 years to change things.

Moyes after 12 games: 21 pts and GD of + 5.

Giggsyking

what would we lose if we sack him right now at this very moment, literally nothing, but we have everything to gain if we sack him now.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I hate to reiterate what has probably been said 100 times in this thread but this isn't all Mourinho's fault. The board and the players have to be held accountable. The Glazer's specifically. We knew this would happen post SAF. Just look at how the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are run. If I recall correctly, the Glazer's arrived, won, then did nothing and let the team rot (NFL fans correct me here please).

The Purley King

Should have been sacked weeks ago.
Will continue to stink out the club until the summer now after a couple of spawny wins.
How utterly depressing.

Scholsey2004

I hate to reiterate what has probably been said 100 times in this thread but this isn't all Mourinho's fault. The board and the players have to be held accountable. The Glazer's specifically. We knew this would happen post SAF. Just look at how the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are run. If I recall correctly, the Glazer's arrived, won, then did nothing and let the team rot (NFL fans correct me here please).
Well, that would be true if they hadn't spent the money. They've spent loads. Ed Woodward and the managers he's had under him simply haven't succeeded in using that money well or utilising the players that its bought well.

Mainoldo

Do teams actually dominate in the NFL. The most popular yard stick is the Superball. Which is basically winning the FA cup and being called the best.

Some NFL guy might come and school me. Lol. Just my take on it.

Scholsey2004

Will continue to stink out the club until the summer now after a couple of spawny wins.
How utterly depressing.
If he doesn't make top three he'll go, that seems to be the agreement for our managers post Ferguson. Sadly ed Woodward doesn't seem to be held to that same standard.

cheeky_backheel

Do teams actually dominate in the NFL. The most popular yard stick is the Superball. Which is basically winning the FA Cup and being called the best.

Yes - New England Patriots!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The manager takes responsibility for the team's performances and the results on the pitch, both of which are not remotely up to standard.

Jose has made too many errors in the transfer market, he's incapable of motivating the players sufficiently and his tactical approach is ineffective and outdated. He simply needs to go.

The Purley King

If he doesn't make top three he'll go, that seems to be the agreement for our managers post Ferguson. Sadly ed Woodward doesn't seem to be held to that same standard.
Ed’s big failing is having no clear vision. Lurching from one manager to the next with no real understanding of what type of manager they are.
He causes himself financial headaches as the new guy immediately needs 6 new players because he has an entirely different philosophy than the old one.
Ed gets deals done, no argument about that but we are lacking anyone who looks st the bigger picture and makes plans for the next decade or more.
DoF time. Please!

Skills

Snitch
Ed’s big failing is having no clear vision. Lurching from one manager to the next with no real understanding of what type of manager they are.
He causes himself financial headaches as the new guy immediately needs 6 new players because he has an entirely different philosophy than the old one.
Ed gets deals done, no argument about that but we are lacking anyone who looks st the bigger picture and makes plans for the next decade or more.
DoF time. Please!
Ed's biggest failing was giving Mourinho a contract extension last February. It's only 2nd to Moyes' 6 year contract as one of the stupidest decisions made by our club in the last 30 years or so.

The Purley King

Ed's biggest failing was giving Mourinho a contract extension last February. It's only 2nd to Moyes' 6 year contract as one of the stupidest decisions made by our club in the last 30 years or so.
Agree that was a bad decision but he can make it right now (well, right minus £20m) by sacking him.
He won’t of course.

Scholsey2004

You've obviously forgotten nani's five year contract renewal. Ed makes a remarkably stupid decision every season it seems.

SolidSnake007

How utterly depressing.
Agree with this.. but it is the Manchester United's players fault for fighting for him (to get those spawny late wins they had to be fighting for him) so they deserve all they get. (I don't wanna hear Pogba or whoever moaning about him again!) They could've downed tools ala Chelsea lads and Jose would get the sack, we get a brand new manager in, probably get top 4 on the back of New Manager Syndrome.. and all is well again.

Unfortunately, what we are going to get is a low, slow painful divorce where everyone knows it will end in tears with neither side benefiting from staying together longer.. really what's the point!? just dragging the inevitable on, wasting more time, money and resources.

Mourinho is a charlatan, does well for smaller, underdog teams ala Porto, Inter (nobody expected them to do the treble), Madrid (2nd to Barca in Spain), Chelsea. he is good at beating low expectations and surprising but not matching high expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheeky_backheel

We've spent well over £600 million since Ferguson left. Jose has spent £400 million.
No - Ed has spent £400m cos it is Ed who has the final say on who we buy and how much we pay for them. Mou basically gives a list of candidates.

Mourinho wanted Dier but had to settle for Mati. Now its Mourinho's fault that we bought an aged Matic. Was it also Mourinho that bought a 31yr old Schweini?

its Ed that agreed to pay 50m for Fred but felt Alderweireld was overpriced. The city backline today had 4 of 5 most expensive PL defenders costing over 200m but you want a miracle defence from investing 60m on two players.

It is also same Ed that over pays our useless players so much that they become untransferable cos no one else will pay them that much.

Ed has been poor with our transfers and left our squad in the state that it is in. Until this is fixed, any manager brought in will struggle to succeed cos we cant afford to keep squandering our money when even the oil club seem to be getting better deals than us.

U99ted

Do teams actually dominate in the NFL. The most popular yard stick is the Superball. Which is basically winning the FA Cup and being called the best.

They do play a regular season to qualify for the SuperBOWL. Only then do they have a knockout tournament (playoffs) to be called the best.

lex talionis

It makes me sad to write this, but Jose has to go either now or at the of the season. There is no positive way forward on the pitch with this manager and with many of the players on the squad.

If there were a proven manager ready to step in on Monday I'd pull the trigger right now. This season is now a write off and the only good that can come from what we do between now and May is building a foundation for a proper run in 19-20. But it doesn't appear as though there any candidates ready to step in, so better to wait until May to sack Mourinho than to give it to Carrick.

ColvaleGoa

We are going to go on a amazing ride from now until Christmas...strap in and join the ride. We are going to annihlate a few teams now. Just got a gut feeling

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He's available. We just have to pay enough. Spurs will never have the finances for him to bring them to the next level. He knows that deep down.
Currently - pending a couple of other clubs publishing more updated financial reports - Spurs now have the 8th largest income in world football. Our new stadium will boost that income further. Yes, we have a large debt to pay down, but "never" is a long time and we are not the financial minnow that some seem to imagine.

Pochettino is well aware of the potential at Spurs and has previously spoken of establishing a dynasty with us. You won't find it so easy to persuade him away, as Real Madrid discovered in the summer, and I strongly doubt you'll succeed in doing so.

Greck

I knew it was coming. Now Matic wasn't Jose's preffered signing. We can add it to Pogba, Lindelof, Sanchez and whoever else starts underperforming in the coming weeks

RAVred

Maybe at the end of the season and try to get Allegri (haha) or Pocchetino.

Our clubs in a scary state right now, how trigger happy the fans are and how nonchalant the board are is making a dangerous mix. Sacking managers every 2-3 years is useless, we will now have to rebuild again if we get managers with completely different styles which pretty much every manager is.

I knew it was coming. Now Matic wasn't Jose's preffered signing. We can add it to Pogba, Lindelof, Sanchez and whoever else starts underperforming in the coming weeks
Do you honestly think Matic is why we lost? Herrera, Lingard, and Rashford have been consistently worse and were equally bad today. I have no idea what happened to Rashford, he just puts his head down and is frustrated after every single thing...

Foxbatt

No - Ed has spent £400m cos it is Ed who has the final say on who we buy and how much we pay for them. Mou basically gives a list of candidates.

Mourinho wanted Dier but had to settle for Mati. Now its Mourinho's fault that we bought an aged Matic. Was it also Mourinho that bought a 31yr old Schweini?

its Ed that agreed to pay 50m for Fred but felt Alderweireld was overpriced. The city backline today had 4 of 5 most expensive PL defenders costing over 200m but you want a miracle defence from investing 60m on two players.

It is also same Ed that over pays our useless players so much that they become untransferable cos no one else will pay them that much.

Ed has been poor with our transfers and left our squad in the state that it is in. Until this is fixed, any manager brought in will struggle to succeed cos we cant afford to keep squandering our money when even the oil club seem to be getting better deals than us.
How can you blame Woodward for the fiascos of Jose? He is right in questioning Jose when he has bought for Jose two CBs Jose wanted. So why does he need another CB? It is the Manager who chooses the players he want. It is acceptable that City has spent a lot more than us but when you look at other teams who are playing better than us then they do not have even half the value of our side. It is the manager's fault that we cannot string any passes together or that we have no tactics.
Give these players to another manager and they will of course play much better.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Alright you have to be trolling now. They hit the post in the first half from yards out and then Dybala smashed off the bar before Ronaldo scored. That's ignoring De Gea nearly getting caught out by a nasty deflection in the first half.

Yeah so basically what I said. One good chance in the first half, one long distance shot that hit the bar and one half chance that was saved.

Scholsey2004

Currently - pending a couple of other clubs publishing more updated financial reports - Spurs now have the 8th largest income in world football. Our new stadium will boost that income further. Yes, we have a large debt to pay down, but "never" is a long time and we are not the financial minnow that some seem to imagine.

Pochettino is well aware of the potential at Spurs and has previously spoken of establishing a dynasty with us. You won't find it so easy to persuade him away, as Real Madrid discovered in the summer, and I strongly doubt you'll succeed in doing so.
There's a glass ceiling though if you aren't willing to spend a lot on players and wages though. Of course Poch might not fancy coming to united at the moment anyway. Third consecutive manager who's failed under Woodward. Most people try to avoid a pile-up rather than drive on into it.

Strachans Cigar

Lots of talk about Mourinho being “outdated” and a dinosaur etc.

But is he really?

This is the man who stopped Pep’s Barça domestically with Madrid & stopped them in Europe with Inter: Only 6.5 & 8.5 years ago respectively. Hardly eons ago is it?

Are any of the current opposition really better or tactically more ”evolved” than that Barça team was?

Or is it more a case of the right personnel not being available to execute the Mourinho plan properly?

I mean Lukaku, try as he does, is no Drogba, Milito, Costa or Benzema is he?

We aren’t talking about someone who outthought & fought Rinus Michels back in the 70s and has been dining out on it ever since right?

This is all still relatively recent, no?

Scholsey2004

But is he really?

This is the man who stopped Pep’s Barça domestically with Madrid & stopped them in Europe with Inter: Only 6.5 & 8.5 years ago respectively. Hardly eons ago is it?

Are any of the current opposition really better or tactically more ”evolved” than that Barça team was?

Or is it more a case of the right personnel not being available to execute the Mourinho plan properly?

We aren’t talking about someone who outthought & fought Rinus Michels back in the 70s and has been dining out on it ever since right?

It depends if you think stopping something is equal to creating something. In my book its not.

Ekeke

But is he really?

Wouldnt every coach do a better job with players like Ronaldo in their squad?

Not every squad can have that profile of player.

L1nk

But is he really?

Then perhaps Mourinho shouldn't of wanted Lukaku when apparently he doesn't fit into Mourinho's plan according to your point? 6.5 and 8.5 years ago is aeons in football, after all, since then managers like Klopp, Pochettino and the rest have really emerged in this time period and have brought forth a shift in the way football is expected to be played at the top level.

JohnnyKills

Dislike him intensely but have made my peace and seems inevitable he'll go at the end of the season.

He should be a pundit - he'd be electric, the best around. Or he could try another underdog like Atlético - Valencia etc.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
People coming into this thread all guns blazing at Mourinho. Give the guy some credit, look at our form in the past month. It has been very good, we have improved since our bad start.

Today doesn’t change anything as City are the best team in the PL and were expected to beat us. We all know it was expected to lose to Juve and City, but we only lost to one of them.

Our form bar todays game has been great the last month.

Coming into the thread Mourinho bashing after playing an amazing Coty side is harsh. It’s not like we have been losing every week lately. It’s an expected set back today. Lets see where we are in a month. Our recent form if it continues will put us in a good position by Christmas.

RooneyLegend

Maybe at the end of the season and try to get Allegri (haha) or Pocchetino.

Our clubs in a scary state right now, how trigger happy the fans are and how nonchalant the board are is making a dangerous mix. Sacking managers every 2-3 years is useless, we will now have to rebuild again if we get managers with completely different styles which pretty much every manager is.

Do you honestly think Matic is why we lost? Herrera, Lingard, and Rashford have been consistently worse and were equally bad today. I have no idea what happened to Rashford, he just puts his head down and is frustrated after every single thing...
Might as well rebuild given Jose has taken 2 and a quarter seasons to build absolutely nothing.

JohnnyKills

People coming into this thread all guns blazing at Mourinho. Give the guy some credit, look at our form in the past month. It has been very good, we have improved since our bad start.

Today doesn’t change anything as City are the best team in the PL and were expected to beat us. We all know it was expected to lose to Juve and City, but we only lost to one of them.

Our form bar todays game has been great the last month.

Coming into the thread Mourinho bashing after playing an amazing Coty side is harsh. It’s not like we have been losing every week lately. It’s an expected set back today. Lets see where we are in a month. Our recent form if it continues will put us in a good position by Christmas.
Won 3, drawn 1, lost 2.

Is that 'very good' for us now?

I get we've had a tough run but as soon as we start lowering our expectations the club really is fecked.

RooneyLegend

Then perhaps Mourinho shouldn't of wanted Lukaku when apparently he doesn't fit into Mourinho's plan according to your point? 6.5 and 8.5 years ago is aeons in football, after all, since then managers like Klopp, Pochettino and the rest have really emerged in this time period and have brought forth a shift in the way football is expected to be played at the top level.
Exactly, back then only Barca were doing what they were doing, so he could still win against the rest who were also tactically in the dark. Nowadays even managers of small clubs are more advanced and hes finding it difficult to cope with everyone.

Strachans Cigar

Well it was a choice of Lukaku or Morata. That’s my point. They were the best available. All the others were going nowhere.

I don’t buy the point about football coaching methods evolving that quickly. With all due respect I think a lot of that is bollocks.

Has Guardiola changed his methods significantly?

Taking Rinus Michels as a historical case in point seeing as I mentioned him. He won the European Cup with Ajax at the beginning of the 70s; then over a decade and a half later he still won the Euros with Holland.

Effective methods are timeless; it’s ultimately about the personnel, imho.

cheeky_backheel

How can you blame Woodward for the fiascos of Jose? He is right in questioning Jose when he has bought for Jose two CBs Jose wanted. So why does he need another CB? It is the Manager who chooses the players he want. It is acceptable that City has spent a lot more than us but when you look at other teams who are playing better than us then they do not have even half the value of our side. It is the manager's fault that we cannot string any passes together or that we have no tactics.
Give these players to another manager and they will of course play much better.
You cannot say the manager chooses the player he wants and then say it is right to veto those choices. Whoever has the final say, has the final responsibility.is

Mourinho bought 2 CBs who were not his preferred choice but were cheaper and are obvious raw projects, so not surprising he want a more experienced one. The question is why we didnt get the preferred choices?

Also Mourinho wanted Perisic or Willian as RW and got neither, whose fault is that?

He wanted better full back with Rose being a candidate but ended up with a teenage dalot who has only 10 senior appearances for porto. is he suppose to come in and instantly make us better?

You claim another manager will have them playing better - yes they may play a more open game but will also lose more games and by bigger margins. So if that is your definition of better then yes. The lack of quality in the squad was made clear against city, with our player s losing almost every 1v1 battle.

Did an exercise with another poster and easily showed that Chelsea had a better squad than us. one can do same for most of the other top clubs. The perceived value of our squad is less about quality and more about cost, which only shows we have been overpaying for what little value we have gotten. The squad is old, lacks quality and athleticism. That we have spent so much to assemble them simply shows a poor management of our transfers. That fault lies with the guy responsible for said transfers = Ed

RooneyLegend

After spending the amount of money we've spent City had a team to break most of the leagues records, we however have negative goal difference and are languishing in mid table.

Status
Not open for further replies.