The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

Surely it would make more sense to appoint a DoF and sort the club's structure re transfers before replacing the manager?
Good players do not want to play for his awful style anymore. He had made a joke of this club.

There is no future with mourinho.

Mainoldo

He’s not going until the end of the season at the earliest. Did anyone really expect we’d beat city today.

Let’s bring in Zidane and everything will magically click. Let’s get a dof and we’ll win the league. Let’s fire Mourinho and we’ll start playing like Barcelona 2009.

This thread is like the boom bust cycle of the Liverpool thread.
It’s took Sarri 3months. That’s all I’m going to say.

Fooza

He’s not going until the end of the season at the earliest. Did anyone really expect we’d beat city today.

Let’s bring in Zidane and everything will magically click. Let’s get a dof and we’ll win the league. Let’s fire Mourinho and we’ll start playing like Barcelona 2009.

Whilst I agree with your points and you have a point. The problem is still there, we just nowhere on the level of City, we've not progressed much over the years (and for that's at least challenging for a title) when the current top 4 teams have.

Something needs to give

Judas

Open to offers
We're 7 points off top 4 with Spurs about to play Arsenal & Chelsea sandwiched between Inter Milan.

Think our top 4 chances can look more likely in 1 month's time.
We mess up more in the games we should win than the tougher ones though, no such thing as an easy game for this team at the moment. We labour to victories if we’re lucky.

RooneyLegend

We should have used this season to bed in a new manager and let Jose go. Ok, so we wouldn't win or maybe make top four, but why wait to start everything the beginning of next season? Let's start preparing now.

It's been the same for all his tenure, we are severely under coached. For the money that he gets, that is criminal.
It's not too late. Let the new guy bed in now. Get new faces in the coming windows. Use next season as a barometer for the progress made after the next two windows. Fix whats left to fix and then challenge in the season after next. It doesn't have to be some 10 year project.

E-mal

Gary Neville is a stubborn fool.

Read his book if you want confirmation of this. Strong minded, strong opinions - and he sticks to them.

He doesn't believe in sacking managers and he never will.
You've got alot of time on your hands reading that fool's book. I dont even listen to his jibberish on Sky anymore. As far as am concerned he is a shit pundit and a worse coach. I personally believe I understand the game better than him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
That Man in that car has won 8 league titles, and 13 domestic trophies, 2 Champions Leagues and 2 EL's. Overtaken in what sense?
Van Gaal had won plenty too. Wenger and Trapattoni are two other examples. Clough.

It's possible for once great managers to lose their specialness.

The fact that one has to pull a Liverpool and point to past glories proves that to a point.

fergies coat

Whilst I agree with your points and you have a point. The problem is still there, we just nowhere on the level of City, we've not progressed much over the years (and for that's at least challenging for a title) when the current top 4 teams have.

Something needs to give
I’m on the fence with him, but there’s no way he’s going until the end of the season. Who do we get in when he does go? It seems like an impossible job at the minute.

Viral United

The problem is if we were 15th and top 4 is still mathematically possible, our board will not sack Jose.
We seen what happen on December in LVG last season.
For Ed its more important not to give high lay off to manager than Top 4.
This is another bad season and once new Manager come in, he has to start from starch.
More I think about this more I fill disconnected to our club.

Xaviboy

We went in a local derby with a 90 million pound striker, a player on supposingly half a million a week in wage and a midfielder cost 60 million all on the bench and there's some people out there wanting this man to spend more transfer money. Get lost. We will lose out goalkeeper come the summer for free if things don't improve or theres change for the best and he has been our best player the last 2 years. We are going backwards with this man in charge of the team.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We’ve just played Juve and City back to back and come away with a win and defeat. He certainly won’t be sacked in the morning for that but the previous shambolic performances mean any defeat was going to be a disaster now. And that’s the case with this one leaving us well adrift of the top four. The league campaign is over for us and therefore he’s already gone in the summer barring a miraculous Champions League victory.

Acquire Me

It will take at least 2-3 years before we can challange again for the title. We are even losing ground on City and Liverpool and will have to fight hard for 4th spot.

We need a number of things:
  1. A new manager, ideally Pochettino.
  2. Move Woodward away from footballing matters and hire a DoF.
  3. Crazy amounts of money to invest in 4-5 top class players.
  4. New scouts.
  5. Time and patience.
  6. (New owners, won't happen)
1. This will happen soon.

The rest, who knows.

Seij

The problem is if we were 15th and top 4 is still mathematically possible, our board will not sack Jose.
We seen what happen on December in LVG last season.
For Ed its more important not to give high lay off to manager than Top 4.
This is another bad season and once new Manager come in, he has to start from starch.
More I think about this more I fill disconnected to our club.
Exactly, EW will never sack a manager until top 4 is mathematically impossible so that he can avoid paying them out of their contract. He's been the one major common factor who's always been present post-SAF and quite frankly him trying to run the football side of our club has been the worst thing that's happened to the club in past few couple decades.

BaseFishing

Yeah... thanks for that little outburst.

The actual point of my post is simply that Mourinho isn't gonna get sacked after that game - especially after recent results.

If you think otherwise, I'd suggest you take your own advice and try to contemplate things a little more deeply than you're currently doing.

This club has a board that is doing an awful job of running a massive club, and a board that is incredibly slow to act...

If they weren't gonna back Mourinho, they should've replaced him in the Summer - yet they didn't.

They're now 12 games into a season watching Liverpool and City duel it out for the PL while Utd sit mid-table with a squad that needs improvement and key players contracts that need signing ASAP.

I actually feel that if there's a manager out there that would ensure the signings of Martial and De Gea, and would bring the best out in Pogba, then bring him in. But will the board do that...?

No. They will act in a reactive manner, as they have proven to do so for literally every decision since the retirement of Fergie.

You can stamp your feet and tap away unfriendly messageboard posts on your keyboard as much as you like, but the reality is that he won't be sacked at this time.

So, for me, the next 5 games are where I'll hope to see a continuation of Martial's form, a hopeful improvement from Sanchez, and some desperately needed improvement in the defense.
Sorry, you're right, that was a little immature from me. I'm a bit of a sore loser too I guess. But yeah, I mostly agree with everything you said. And I definitely don't think Mourinho is going anywhere at the moment either. I just wish we had a board that thought a bit more long term and had a vision. F*ck City. Not necessarily like them. But like clubs such as Dortmund, Barca, Ajax. Clubs where you don't have to guess what their football will look like a year from now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

This is just pure fabrication, no one has suggested that any of those things will happen.

Why make things up?

Suvvernmanc

Jose has a certain style of play. It is evedent he wont change for any club.

All the top clubs (except us) only hire managers to fit their system, their philosophy. Real madrid sacked him off quickly because they realised they made a mistake. He won trophies there but still fell out with everyone! He lost the dressing room because of his prefered system and his constant desire to be authoritarian in his man management. He benched Ramos at one point and the then Spain and Madrid captain Iker Casillas! And they moved him on because he didnt fit them right!

UTD hiring Jose was the 3rd time our club hired the wrong person and even now we dont have the balls to sack him. Jose has us playing in a way that was as cowardly as LVG and as brainless as Moyes.

I think our players are desperate to be let off the leash. They have so many restrictions and not enough freedom to express themselves. Jose's own arrogance has blinded him to this fact and won't adapt. Football has moved on and has changed. It has left him behind.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We need someone to move us in a better direction. He's spent hundreds of millions and we aren't any better. Look at what Klopp took over at Liverpool. Can you honestly say Jose is doing ok with what he's been given?
I agree but there isn't an obvious candidate available that will guarantee success. Look at the bookies 'favourites' to take over, the likes of Zidane and Conte are underwhelming. Pochettino? Spurs could have easily been beaten last night at Palace and last week at Wolves, they've been lucky so far this season to be 7 points ahead of us. They got outplayed at home by City the other week.

Apply this logic to a car. This car is broken and is about to cause you serious harm. Do you keep driving that car in the belief that it might begin to work or do you replace the car in the hope that this one doesn’t break either?
Stop maintaining the car (investing in the squad) and who ever is driving the car (the manager) is going to struggle to win a race.

Mindboggling? So perhaps we should never ever fire any manager. Probably shouldn't have fired Moyes or LVG, right? I wish my employer thought the same.

Now if you are saying changing the manager without changing the structure won't solve all our problems, I agree but I would still change the manager right now.
As above the problem is change him for who? If Guardiola was available i'd agree. When we sacked LVG, Mourinho was a no brainer in the position we were in.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Good players do not want to play for his awful style anymore. He had made a joke of this club.

There is no future with Mourinho.
Personally I think we have been run into the ground since Ferguson left.

My worry is that if we don't sort the structure, especially around transfers, we potentially spend another 200m with a new manager replacing the last manager's signings.

It doesn't help having the owners which we do either.

I cannot see him being fired before the end of the season. Hopefully that's enough time to set up the DoF for us.

SteveW

Don't care how much more but you don't have to be genius too see that this team lacks so much quality. Just that Smalling, Young, Fellaini, Lingard and Rashford are getting mins is a prove that Manchester United is far away from other top teams..
He could have spent it better. Look what Klopp has done. He took over an equally bad group but improved it by signing the right players.

BlueHaze

And that is how quick things can turn in football. Albeit playing like crap the recent games we did win and was on a mini run but then we get matched against a team that is clearly miles ahead of us and also have the superior manager and we have feck all to offer. Now we are back to square one, 7 points away from 4th place and that gap is most likely only going to increase. The loss today was expected from me but the thing is that our absolutely horrible start has made further losses hit twice as hard. It's not even december yet and we already have 4 losses and an enormous amount of tough fixtures ahead and on top of that we have been playing atrocious football pretty much all season. It's Mourinhos third year in now so no one can say he hasn't really been given time nor money. We comfortably finished 2nd last year and we were supposed to improve this season but have gone backwards by a lot.

The season isn't over yet but absolutely nothing so far has shown me he will be able to turn this around. Being 7 points away from a 4th spot in november is deeply concerning for me and it really shocks me that with the money we have spent under him we are only scrapping for 4th. He could be given any player he wants and I still can't see us ever challenging for the title with him as manager. We have now put ourselves in a position where we have to rely on spurs and arsenal dropping points while we have to keep winning. We are guaranteed to lose more games so we very well may not be able to recover from our piss poor start. I would like Zidane coming in but I can't see him wanting to join without CL football and he will have plenty of offers from other big clubs. Ugh, it's not even december yet and I already want the season to be over. :(

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People forget that we tend to drop a lot of points in these so called easy games too.
We mess up more in the games we should win than the tougher ones though, no such thing as an easy game for this team at the moment. We labour to victories if we’re lucky.
Id agree Jose should be sacked if we continue to slip up to the rubbish sides in the league.

SteveW

I agree but there isn't an obvious candidate available that will guarantee success. Look at the bookies 'favourites' to take over, the likes of Zidane and Conte are underwhelming. Pochettino? Spurs could have easily been beaten last night at Palace and last week at Wolves, they've been lucky so far this season to be 7 points ahead of us. They got outplayed at home by City the other week.
This is kind of insane to be honest. Zidane doesn't seem to be perfect but he's won 3 European cups in a row. I don't like Conte but he's an excellent manager. Pirlo's book gives a decent indication of what players think of him. Pochetino has been working on a shoestring for years yet has produced a team who play excellent football and has consistently made individual players much better over time.

These are all more suited to United than Jose. Poch would be my personal choice.

Edit: To address your point about guaranteeing success. This is impossible. It was what we tried to do with Jose. Suffer the long term consequences in a bid to guarantee short term success. You sign managers to move you forward and improve things, not to guarantee success.

Mick321

Plenty of fickleness here,we have just won at Juventus and lost at a team thats playing FM on cheat mode....
It's not about one game or one loss. They play cheat mode v everyone, it doesn't stop Liverpool going at them though or.....Wolves. We are currently on track for 63 points, it's pathetic, wake up. And plenty of us were concerned Juve wasn't a good performance and was just a massive riding of our luck but then you get told "you are even miserable when winning" so no criticism is seemingly allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.