The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy Ferguson

It will take at least 2-3 years before we can challange again for the title. We are even losing ground on City and Liverpool and will have to fight hard for 4th spot.

We need a number of things:
  1. A new manager, ideally Pochettino.
  2. Move Woodward away from footballing matters and hire a DoF.
  3. Crazy amounts of money to invest in 4-5 top class players.
  4. New scouts.
  5. Time and patience.
  6. (New owners, won't happen)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Gary Neville is a stubborn fool.

Read his book if you want confirmation of this. Strong minded, strong opinions - and he sticks to them.

He doesn't believe in sacking managers and he never will.
I think his broader point was the structural issue with the club.

Minimalist

Not really, he's basically saying what i've been saying myself in here, there's no guarantee another manager will do better with this group of players.
There's no guarantee (of success) when you bring in any bloody manager. What a stupid argument.

It's a risk no matter who you pick.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Of course, I'm bloody serious. You're talking as if we are the first side to go to Etihad and be pumped like this. It's hardly the result to ask for his head and board would be stupid to bin him on the basis of this considering last 3-4 weeks where we've played well and won important points. Fixtures look kind all the way to New Years, it's time for Mourinho to take this team on a run.

I completely agree with you but tell me honestly do you believe Ed Woodward has the ability or judgment to pick out one of these managers for us? I feel that's where the hunt for a new manager mid-season ends for me.
Probably not. With Ed we just have to hope that he gets a really obvious manager on board who clicks. Possibly someone like Zidane. It'd be great if we get Zidane now and write off this season allowing him the freedom to understand the team and settle in. Or in the summer. Whatever I suppose. My expectations have truly been sunk now.

Patrick08

Can't wait for the day he's gone.
No semblance of a cohesive style of football even after 3 years. Not even another 500 million would be enough for this coward.
Where's Fred? They guy he spent 50 million on. Up against the most dynamic and fluid midfield in the league and he's left him to warm the bench.
So like wenger.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They should have won 4-0. But even if that wasn't horrendous, how horrible was our home performance against Juventus? That was a nothing display. Juventus didn't even get into 2nd gear.
Yeah we were pathetic at home against them and Valencia. I think away we were fine, before their first goal they didn’t even create that many chances.

In Rainbows

Not really, he's basically saying what i've been saying myself in here, there's no guarantee another manager will do better with this group of players.
But that does nothing for the argument that Mourinho is currently doing a poor job and it makes no sense to stick with him. Persisting with him because you're scared of the unknown is just being a coward.

JMack1234

It's his third season. We're in November and we're 12 points off the title and 7 points off the top 4. It's not good enough despite flicking back into life against Chelsea and Juve. Still..I wouldn't get rid now because I don't see any inspiring alternatives but this has to be his last season.

crossy1686

career ending
Am I missing the white text or is english not your first language? Where did I say this brings me joy?

Are you acting thick on purpose?

The only silver lining of this match is that the Mourinho IN reds cannot pick out anything positive after this game.
Nice bit of xenophobia there. See the bolded part, where you explicitly express that something good came of us getting hammered of City. It's extremely sad.

Greck

Plenty of fickleness here,we have just won at Juventus and lost at a team thats playing FM on cheat mode....
I'd say the fickleness is from those who think some of the last few results meant everything was alright. The bigger picture is we're still 7 points out of top 4. That run everyone is talking about only stopped us from drifting further out of top 4. On the table we're still where we were after the Chelsea game. We were 5 points outside top 4 before going to Stamford Bridge

Last edited:

SteveW

Not really, he's basically saying what I've been saying myself in here, there's no guarantee another manager will do better with this group of players.
We need someone to move us in a better direction. He's spent hundreds of millions and we aren't any better. Look at what Klopp took over at Liverpool. Can you honestly say Jose is doing ok with what he's been given?

Kag

Apply this logic to a car. This car is broken and is about to cause you serious harm. Do you keep driving that car in the belief that it might begin to work or do you replace the car in the hope that this one doesn’t break either?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nice bit of xenophobia there. See the bolded part, where you explicitly express that something good came of us getting hammered of City. It's extremely sad.
Highlights exactly what I thought - that a lot of posters here enjoy it when we lose so as to give them more ammo on the caf.

Irrational.

Hopefully he leaves with a bit of class and decorum at the end of the season, and we can get in a new manager and DoF to revamp our scouting system.

Cloud7

1/3 of the season gone, 8th place with a negative goal difference.

These are objective facts.

How can anyone look at that and possibly claim that this manager is doing even an acceptable job?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Apply this logic to a car. This car is broken and is about to cause you serious harm. Do you keep driving that car in the belief that it might begin to work or do you replace the car in the hope that this one doesn’t break either?
I just think some fans think Jose is a broken car, others don't.

Minimalist

Yeah we were pathetic at home against them and Valencia. I think away we were fine, before their first goal they didn’t even create that many chances.
Alright you have to be trolling now. They hit the post in the first half from yards out and then Dybala smashed off the bar before Ronaldo scored. That's ignoring De Gea nearly getting caught out by a nasty deflection in the first half.

Bobski

If Mou had been backed there is a decent chance we are looking at a team including Perisic/Alderwerield/Willian/Matic with Martial and Shaw out the door, and another rebuild approaching fast, all for the chance of scraping a couple more cups up for Mou's record. Would not be challenging City with that type of team, so from the clubs perspective what is point of throwing massive money at glorified short term mediocrity.

They should have taken the hit, got rid of him and began the process of building a team fit for the modern game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
1/3 of the season gone, 8th place with a negative goal difference.

These are objective facts.

How can anyone look at that and possibly claim that this manager is doing even an acceptable job?
I don't think he's doing an acceptable job as it stands, don't get me wrong. I think he can turn it around though, and sacking him at the moment wont just fix everything.

SteveW

It's amazing how poor we are given the investments made. It should be impossible, I can't quite wrap my head around it.
The managers we've brought in haven't been a help. Moyes was a mid table manager, LVG was out of touch and Jose is a negative short term focused manager. None of these were good appointments if you are trying to build something sustainable and lasting.

mav_9me

Mindboggling? So perhaps we should never ever fire any manager. Probably shouldn't have fired Moyes or LVG, right? I wish my employer thought the same.

Now if you are saying changing the manager without changing the structure won't solve all our problems, I agree but I would still change the manager right now.

Cloud7

I don't think he's doing an acceptable job as it stands, don't get me wrong. I think he can turn it around though, and sacking him at the moment wont just fix everything.
On what basis do you still hold that belief mate? Genuinely curious. He’s only been in a situation like this once in his career if I remember correctly, and that ended with him being sacked. What makes you think he can bring this back now?

buchansleftleg

I don't trust his judgement on players any more.

I don't trust his ability to drag performances out of average players anymore.

I don't trust his judgement in the transfer market anymore.

I don't trust his tactical analysis anymore.

I don't trust his loyalty to certain players anymore.

He needs to go before January window opens. Fly him to Madrid and take a tiny fee from Real. Anything apart from managing us.

Asger

So what's your point? We should have spent more than half a billion?

Don't care how much more but you don't have to be genius too see that this team lacks so much quality. Just that Smalling, Young, Fellaini, Lingard and Rashford are getting mins is a prove that Manchester United is far away from other top teams..

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Mourinho was a car he’d be travelling on the motorway being overtaken by a man on a unicycle.
OK - you're welcome to maintain that opinion. I don't think everyone agrees, and we'll just have to see how he takes us in recovering (if at all).

On what basis do you still hold that belief mate? Genuinely curious. He’s only been in a situation like this once in his career if I remember correctly, and that ended with him being sacked. What makes you think he can bring this back now?
Because he has been? He went from 1 point in 7 to 10 points from 13. Today we were pretty bad against City but hey, it's City and we didn't even play some key players for the first half.

I think he can turn it around because of the fixtures we have ahead and what we can build further upon. I don't think there is a manager available who wouldn't prove to be just as big a risk.

Patrick08

He used to stick ramos in the middle to hold the play, or zouma or David luiz at chelsea. Now its just matic matic matic. I am sick of it.

Fosu mensah can do a better job than him who you love to send on loan.

He is seriously devoid of ideas, or he is deliberately sabotaging the season.

Greck

Class and decorum is not worth a season in Europa League.
Feel the same. Don't want to see us have to play that depressing competition again. Made even more depressing after watching the big boys play on Tuesday and Wednesday

Woziak

Here's the thing, if we continue under Jose for the rest of the season, we may end up 4th but most likely 5th to 7th, we will lose at least 10 premier league games draw 8 and maybe win 20. The club will get Knocked out in the Round of 16 in the CL and probably face an early exit in the FA Cup. The board will only offer a token 50M transfer budget in January and very few players will want to join United for other than monetary reasons because of Jose outdated prehistoric football!

I would give him until the end of November, then sack him simply because he can not take the club any further forward. We should then go get Zidane, Poch or Jardim, allow them £200M in January and £200M in the summer. Real Madrid are also in turmoil so some swap deals with players could be on. We need to ship out the following players in January; Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Sanchez(PSG), Nemanja Matic.

The Club need to buy Koulibaly, Shamus Coleman, Nathan Ake, Gareth Bale or Marco Reus and Lewis Cook. We need Premier League proven and men with character and leadership qualities plus some genuine star quality like Bale or Reus who are worth 500k per week. The club will need 4 or 5 in January and another 2 or 3 in the Summer just to compete. If we don't get rid of Jose this year, the pain will just last for a longer period of time as The Boards INEPT management will adopt a dangerous wait and see policy.

Pyro19

You do understand what a silver lining means right? Nice of you to throw in a bit of xenophobia in there since you clearly do not understand the premise of finding positivity from a defeat and confuse it with joy.

It's extremely sad.

fergies coat

He’s not going until the end of the season at the earliest. Did anyone really expect we’d beat city today.

Let’s bring in Zidane and everything will magically click. Let’s get a dof and we’ll win the league. Let’s fire Mourinho and we’ll start playing like Barcelona 2009.

This thread is like the boom bust cycle of the Liverpool thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.