The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

If he cares so much about building up from back why did he sell Blind? Our best defender in that regard. And keep the likes of Jones/Rojo around.
He wants a CB that is good at build up and can dominate in the air? Something Lindelof and Bailly dont do. He isnt in charge of selling players either, maybe he did want the likes of Rojo sold. Darmian is still here afterall. Why do you think he was targeting ball playing CB’s then?

Johan07

You’re just being obtuse for the sake of it, what’s the point of this? Yeah ok Mourinho didn't want to add width to this team by targeting Willian and Perisic. Ok.

Im done with this discussion.
You should be done with this discussion if you have convinced yourself that Mourinho wants to play with width with his wingers. He - as Pochettino - likes to play with inverted wingers. Nothing like what teams like City and Barcelona does. He has always been like that, and you have the evidence before you with how we have played for three years now.

UncleBob

You’re just being obtuse for the sake of it, what’s the point of this? Yeah ok Mourinho didn't want to add width to this team by targeting Willian and Perisic. Ok.

Im done with this discussion.
:lol: Christ

You're walking in a circle. It's already established, multiple times, that we wanted Perisic the previous summer. We didn't get him, yet we still improved our overall performances and finished second in the league. We signed Alexis Sanchez and Mourinho states that he's happy with his attacking options, and sees no need to add any more attacking players to the team.

Now, 1,5 year after not getting Perisic, after finishing second in the league, you're bringing up Perisic as a point as to why we are regressing from last season, even though we overall strengthened the squad and didn't lose any important players from last season.

Basically, you're only arguments is arguing over claims you are making, without getting anywhere near adressing any actual issues, not to mention not answering any questions yet demanding that others should answer your constructed claims. It's rather simple, why have we regressed completely from last season, when we've overall strengthened the squad and not lost any players. We didn't have Willian last season, didn't have Perisic either, so why are we going backwards.

haram

:lol: Christ

You're walking in a circle. It's already established, multiple times, that we wanted Perisic the previous summer. We didn't get him, yet we still improved our overall performances and finished second in the league. We signed Alexis Sanchez and Mourinho states that he's happy with his attacking options, and sees no need to add any more attacking players to the team.

Now, 1,5 year after not getting Perisic, after finishing second in the league, you're bringing up Perisic as a point as to why we are regressing from last season, even though we overall strengthened the squad and didn't lose any important players from last season.

Basically, you're only arguments is arguing over claims you are making, without getting anywhere near adressing any actual issues, not to mention not answering any questions yet demanding that others should answer your constructed claims. It's rather simple, why have we regressed completely from last season, when we've overall strengthened the squad and not lost any players. We didn't have Willian last season, didn't have Perisic either, so why are we going backwards.
The very original point I made that if this team wants to progress regardless of manager we need width (from fullback or winger) and defenders more comfortable on the ball. Those are the glaring gaps in the team. I acknowledged that we should have more points very early on. There’s about 4 people trying to quote me at once. I said the current manager wanted these things and the next one, if there is one, will need to add these things period.

haram

You should be done with this discussion if you have convinced yourself that Mourinho wants to play with width with his wingers. He - as Pochettino - likes to play with inverted wingers. Nothing like what teams like City and Barcelona does. He has always been like that, and you have the evidence before you with how we have played for three years now.
I said width period. Fullbacks or winger. There is not enough in this team. I used the example of Willian and Perisic as wingers, but the point is Jose wanted to add width to this team. We have three forwards playing on the left, two number 10s on the right, and ex wingers at fullback. It’s not good enough.

Johan07

The very original point I made that if this team wants to progress regardless of manager we need width (from fullback or winger) and defenders more comfortable on the ball. Those are the glaring gaps in the team. I acknowledged that we should have more points very early on. There’s about 4 people trying to quote me at once. I said the current manager wanted these things and the next one, if there is one, will need to add these things period.
Maybe you should consider why this is happening when you do state as a fact that the current manager wanted something and yet you cannot present any logical evidence to this, even less some magical insight in his head.

Bestietom

2nd last season with the second best defensive record in the Premiership. This season we are leaking goals every game and not scoring at the other end. We are going backwards.

Johan07

I said width period. Fullbacks or winger. There is not enough in this team. I used the example of Willian and Perisic as wingers, but the point is Jose wanted to add width to this team. We have three forwards playing on the left, two number 10s on the right, and ex wingers at fullback. It’s not good enough.
Again. You have no base for this. I am out of this "discussion".

haram

Maybe you should consider why this is happening when you do state as a fact that the current manager wanted something and yet you cannot present any logical evidence to this, even less some magical insight in his head.
The logical evidence is that Perisic and Willian are real wingers. If people dont think he wanted them or a RW then that’s up to them. If people think he didn’t want to add width to this team through wingers or fullbacks then that’s up to them. Im sure he is happy with Lukaku being up front with no one to cross it to him.

R'hllor

A question for those who live in JM`s rectum, looking at that post where we have year 1,2 and 3 and in which year he was backed, what year you would find more successful year one or two?

Johan07

The logical evidence is that Perisic and Willian are real wingers. If people dont think he wanted them or a RW then that’s up to them. If people think he didn’t want to add width to this team through wingers or fullbacks then that’s up to them. Im sure he is happy with Lukaku being up front with no one to cross it to him.
Im sorry man, but in what world is Willian a "real winger"? He is the archetype of a Mourinho inverted winger. And whats even a "real winger" to begin with? OK, now I am really out.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Im sorry man, but in what world is Willian a "real winger"? He is the archetype of a Mourinho inverted winger. And whats even a "real winger" to begin with? OK, now I am really out.
I think the role of "real winger" is fulfilled by the modern fullback. The modern winger is much more a goal scoring attacker than someone who provides service to the man in the middle. That's also a big part of United's weakness imho. No iron lung fullbacks who just run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Hell, most of them aren't even that great at crossing, it's the constant thread out wide that provides the space for the inverted winger to threaten goal and provides him with an extra option.

Look at Robben, who scored two goals from cutting inside this week. He nearly always has two options, give the ball to his fullback making a run, or cut inside and go for a shot or cross. You'd say, just cover the inside, Robben will always give inside, but you can't disregard the guy running up the flank, because if left unchecked, that's a big goal thread too.

The real winger is dead imho, game's evolved.

Johan07

I think the role of "real winger" is fulfilled by the modern fullback. The modern winger is much more a goal scoring attacker than someone who provides service to the man in the middle. That's also a big part of United's weakness imho. No iron lung fullbacks who just run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Hell, most of them aren't even that great at crossing, it's the constant thread out wide that provides the space for the inverted winger to threaten goal and provides him with an extra option.

Look at Robben, who scored two goals from cutting inside this week. He nearly always has two options, give the ball to his fullback making a run, or cut inside and go for a shot or cross. You'd say, just cover the inside, Robben will always give inside, but you can't disregard the guy running up the flank, because if left unchecked, that's a big goal thread too.

The real winger is dead imho, game's evolved.
I completely agree, and that´s why this narrative about "real wingers" is tiresome. Robben is a good example because most people mention him when they talk about "wingers", when he is actually - just as you say - one of the best right forwards (I prefer that) to play the game the last 10 years; and he cuts inside centrally 90 percent of the time he is on the ball. Hazard is another good example.
Teams like City and Barcelona start their "wingers" much more wide in position than we do in possession though. But thats more about creating space than anything else. And not being afraid to be caught on the counter as we are.

Fracture90

I completely agree, and that´s why this narrative about "real wingers" is tiresome. Robben is a good example because most people mention him when they talk about "wingers", when he is actually - just as you say - one of the best right forwards (I prefer that) to play the game the last 10 years; and he cuts inside centrally 90 percent of the time he is on the ball. Hazard is another good example.
Teams like City and Barcelona start their "wingers" much more wide in position than we do in possession though. But thats more about creating space than anything else.
Not to mention that it seems in his mind, Perišić and Willian are only 2 wingers out there.

haram

A player that can go on the outside, that can operate up and down the whole pitch, that can transition play. Just because Perisic and Willian can go inside does not mean they are not wingers. Certainly they are wingers when compared to the forwards and number 10s we have playing in wide positions atm.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A player that can go on the outside, that can operate up and down the whole pitch, that can transition play. Just because Perisic and Willian can go inside does not mean they are not wingers. Certainly they are wingers when compared to the forwards and number 10s we have playing in wide positions atm.
This I agree with. As much as most modern flank men are not traditional wingers. Juan Mata is simply a midfielder who is put down as RW on the team sheet, but has none of the qualities a wide attacker needs. I don't know that much about Perisic, but Willian is definitely more of a winger than the guys United plays there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
*fingers in ears* Blah, blah, blah, the media just has an agenda, blah, blah, blah, we actually play like Brazil they just don't like us or Mourinho, blah, blah, blah

Fecking Stoke City Bitch.
Stoke City Bitch, Stoke Stoke City Bitch,
Ten ten ten twenty yards up to Felli bitch

haram

This I agree with. As much as most modern flank men are not traditional wingers. Juan Mata is simply a midfielder who is put down as RW on the team sheet, but has none of the qualities a wide attacker needs. I don't know that much about Perisic, but Willian is definitely more of a winger than the guys United plays there.
Perisic is very direct, works up and down the wing, good delivery and had a great world cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gosh I wish we were at least talking about players of real quality rather than Perisic and Willian. feck knows what Mourinho was upto when instead of signing a RW he decides to sign the now woeful Sanchez when we were already strong on the left.

Fracture90

Perisic is very direct, works up and down the wing, good delivery and had a great world cup.
And is having a mare of a season right so far. Not to mention he's more of a LW, can play RW but LW is his main position .

haram

Gosh I wish we were at least talking about players of real quality rather than Perisic and Willian. feck knows what Mourinho was upto when instead of signing a RW he decides to sign the now woeful Sanchez when we were already strong on the left.
He wasn’t going to get Perisic and was offered Sanchez. All he had to do is give up Mkhi. Perisic and Willian do have quality and Mourinho would get a lot out of them. It’s a shame that we dont have players who can work the wings and help us transition play from whatever area of the pitch. Both of these players can do this, good carriers of the ball as well.

haram

I would think Man United fans would like to see width and wide play, considering that is what we are well known for. Apparantly not though.

Johan07

And is having a mare of a season right so far. Not to mention he's more of a LW, can play RW but LW is his main position .
Yeah, I seriously question posters that wanted us to sign Perisic and/or Willian. And apparentely still do even after the Sanchez-transfer. Which really should have put an end to that.
They are both 30 years old and would have cost a lot in wages as well as having to write off their very high transfer fees as asset depreciation. It would reduce any possibility we would have to make any major moves in the coming transfer market. I am not sure that they would even improve us, even if they are decent players.
We already spent a feck lot of money on old players like Matic and Sanchez, we cannot keep doing that if any manager should be able to turn this ship around.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
The squad isn't good enough, whether it's Mourinho, Jesus, the prophet etc etc we will not achieve much. We have so many average players that need shipping out to bring in better ones. We don't have ANY world class defender FFS, not a single one, we don't have a true captain, De Gea and Pogba are the only players who would break into other teams' lineups. The two managers that we had were so shit. Look at the recruitments they made and how much we suffered to do a proper transition from all the deadwood we have.

You guys want United to compete on all fronts despite NOT having a good squad, who the feck you think we are? Rebuilding takes time especially with a giant like United, we all criticize and talk shit as if our squad is able to compete, it is NOT. Until we clear out the deadwood and replace them with decent players we will not achieve much regardless who the coach is.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, I seriously question posters that wanted us to sign Perisic and/or Willian. And apparentely still do even after the Sanchez-transfer. Which really should have put an end to that.
They are both 30 years old and would have cost a lot in wages as well as having to write off their very high transfer fees as asset depreciation. It would reduce any possibility we would have to make any major moves in the coming transfer market. I am not sure that they would even improve us, even if they are decent players.
We already spent a feck lot of money on old players like Matic and Sanchez, we cannot keep doing that if any manager should be able to turn this ship around.
We should learn from our mistakes. Spending big money on/paying big wages to 30/near 30 year olds doesn't make sense especially when they're coming to a new league leaves you saddled with overpaid and deciding footballers you can't get rid of. A special player like RVP bang in his prime is the exception.

More Mane/Salah, less Perisic type brilliant ideas.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The squad isn't good enough, whether it's Mourinho, Jesus, the prophet etc etc we will not achieve much. We have so many average players that need shipping out to bring in better ones. We don't have ANY world class defender FFS, not a single one, we don't have a true captain, De Gea and Pogba are the only players who would break into other teams' lineups. The two managers that we had were so shit. Look at the recruitments they made and how much we suffered to do a proper transition from all the deadwood we have.

You guys want United to compete on all fronts despite NOT having a good squad, who the feck you think we are? Rebuilding takes time especially with a giant like United, we all criticize and talk shit as if our squad is able to compete, it is NOT. Until we clear out the deadwood and replace them with decent players we will not achieve much regardless who the coach is.
Easy now, if you say the squad isn't good enough a lot of posters will slam you for having shit standards as a United supporter.

amolbhatia50k

Mourinho is the deadwood we first need to clear.

And half this team has been signed by Mourinho so the "team is shit" excuse falls flat on its face.

Xixak17

2nd last season with the second best defensive record in the Premiership. This season we are leaking goals every game and not scoring at the other end. We are going backwards.
Nah mate we're marching forwards under Jose. He's the only man for the job. Didn't you see the slick, attacking football we played against Spurs? We may have lost 3-nil mate but talk about a Jose masterclass.

I'd give Jose an extension and let him keep building, we have a bright future with him at the helm. Reminds me of Fergie with the way he promotes youth, plays attacking football and wins big games!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The squad is much better than it's currently showing imho. Their confidence is just completely shot to shite. And that's down to the coach innit? If not that, what the feck do clubs pay these clowns for? If you ask me, the coach's job is just to have his team get along and feel confident. The endless black boards with lines and notes explaining tactics are a bunch of crap. I wouldnt trust 80% of professional football managers to write my grocery list. Let alone, give them the responsibility over a billion pound football team.

amolbhatia50k

Easy now, if you say the squad isn't good enough a lot of posters will slam you for having shit standards as a United supporter.
Nope. We'll tell you the manager is naturally responsible for building this supposedly "shit" squad, and making it play to a decent level. Which it isn't btw. We're nearly a mid table team this season which isn't a situation you can make these lame excuses for.

haram

Hilarious how apparantly Perisic wasn’t good enough and then he helped fire his team to a world cup final :lol:

Fracture90

They would cost a fortune and getting Perišić would cost us Martial as well. Willian said it himself that he never contemplated leaving once it was announced Conte will get the sack.

Spending huge money on transfer fee's + wages for ageing players simply isn't sustainable tactics.

Fredo

You broke my heart!

And half this team has been signed by Mourinho so the "team is shit" excuse falls flat on its face.
Half? what the hell? are you okay?

well they can feck off because I'd rather be realistic and admit my team isn't good enough rather than live like a sad liverpool fan wanking on the old days of glory, pretty much what most posters here are doing.

Fracture90

Hilarious how apparantly Perisic wasn’t good enough and then he helped fire his team to a world cup final :lol:
Lukaku helped his team reach the semis and finish 3rd, but look at him now...

Perišić had a great WC, but if you're watching Calcio football you'd know he's been dreadful this season.

JohnnyKills

With so many players out of contract, it seems inevitable we'll reboot in the summer. Lots of players will leave and we'll have to replace them properly. If the Glazers are as money-oriented as we all think, they can't be happy with the value for money we've got from our squad over the last few years, which probably explains why they've overhauled the scouting network.

In this context, it would be crazy for them to back JM. He's only got a year left on his contract, so is in no position to oversee the rebuild. He's proved time and again that he prefers ageing, expensive players over young, cheaper ones. And he's wasted hundreds of millions in the last couple of years.

Given all this, it seems inevitable he'll go in the summer. Hopefully that means we get a DoF and put some kind of structure in place.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It's not shit, but it's got a lot of holes.

Id say Mourinho is culperable for Bailey and not playing him, and Fred so far but he's barely had half a season.

Fact remains he needed to invest more and hasn't. Why? Feck knows but it's not solely him. Our transfers are broadly a farce for as long as Woodward is around.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Someone saying the team is bad has higher standards than someone saying the team is good, don't they?

Now I'm confused.

haram

Lukaku helped his team reach the semis and finish 3rd, but look at him now...

Perišić had a great WC, but if you're watching Calcio football you'd know he's been dreadful this season.
Yeah I know Lukaku is a terrible footballer and whatever he did last season and at the world cup doesn’t count. I dont know why I even bother replying to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.