The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Managers shouldn't be in charge of transfer. There's no guarantee the next manager is going to get it right in transfers either, is there ? You simply need to have a strategy and target several players that you think gonna fit the club whoever the manager is. I want us to reach the level of other top clubs who chop and change their managers and the team stays exactly the same or with few tweaks without needing for an overhaul.

Currently I can see the next manager getting rid of half of Mourinho signings at least like Mourinho himself tried to do with LVG signings, and what LVG did with the squad Moyes left. This is a terrible position to be in. We shouldn't give the managers any power of transfer. We should get a good DOF that fits the clubs strategy (if there's any) and let them choose targets that are going to benefit any manager. Which manager is going to benefit from such a lump as Lukaku ? Really only Mourinho was going to sign such a shite technical striker as this one. The next manager isn't going to endure such a useless lump with no first touch. We signed Lukaku as if Mourinho is going to stay here forever.

Managers stay only for 3 years at best so it's idiotic from us to base our transfer business completely on their view.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
These kind of arguments melt my melon man. We shouldn’t have gone to war with Iraq either. That we did, isn’t an excuse for sticking out the endless clusterfeck that followed!... That’s how Naz...erm, Trump’s America started!... (probably.)

Some of the innumerable problems with that are... for example...

a) He’s been here for 3 years now and can field virtually an entire XI of his own players... augmented by his obvious favourites like Fellaini & Young (whom he could replace, but consistently resists doing) What part of that is unfinished? And if it isn’t, whose fault is it?

b) If the likes of Pep, Klopp, Emery, Sarri (and every other 2nd Chelsea manager since 2010, for that matter) can noticeably improve the fortunes, confidence and playing style of a struggling top tier side with a mish mash of good but underperforming players, within half a season or so... which half of the 5 half seasons Jose has spent here, has you convinced he can improve further on the consistently awful, anti-style non-football we’ve seen so far?

c) If our squad is as shit and mid-table as he says, and reaching 2nd was the unfathomably monumental managerial achievement he claims... how exactly does that disprove the idea that a squad is only as good as it’s manager? Or that a new, more motivated manager - who doesn’t throw his entire team under the bus and call them shit at every turn - couldn’t perceivably change our fortunes for the better, by, I dunno, maybe not doing those things? If it was the genius of our manager that got this apparently horrendous £400m squad to drastically overachieve, why isn’t it the same manager’s fault that the same squad is now drastically underachieving? And if it isn’t, why do we even need a manager at all? Let alone such an expensive, elite, personality-cultivating one? What is it we're paying for, or being slavishly loyal to, exactly?

b - ii) And if it was only Fergie’s genius that allowed us to continue being successful and competitive under the Glazers, and miraculously won us the League with the exact same squad that Moyes took to 6th.... how (again!) does that work in favour of the notion that any manager is automatically doomed to fail in our set up? Isn’t the entire reason we hired Jose because he was in the same Fergie-bracket of uniquely brilliant formative bosses? That could get us back into the big time through his own managerial brilliance, without us needing to throw money at any old journeyman schmoe, like Chelsea, or City. And if that wasn't the point, then again (AGAIN!) why did we hire him!? Any manager can complain about City’s Arab state sponsored spending, but you don't hire Jose fecking Mourinho for him to complain about how it's preventing him from competing with the likes of fecking Spurs! Who didn't sign a single fecking player this summer!

c) If the fact he’s historically been a winner at other clubs, is the thing you’re clinging to as the reason he could still, maybe, turn it around here...then why doesn’t the fact that he’s self imploded at every same club in his 3rd season, and is an entirely unknown quantity at this stage in his historical tenure, not an equally importantly 'factual' touchstone?

d) Even if he could potentially salvage his time here...what costs are you willing to except? He fell out with Ronaldo at Madrid, Hazard at Chelsea, and Pogba and Martial here... the other 2 chose the players over him, and almost immediately recovered... if we do “let him finish” what do you envisage that finished product being, exactly? ‘Cos by current accounts, it’s a team of Fellainis, Lukakus and Matic’s, where Willian replaces Martial, who becomes the new Salah or De Bruyne at Juve or wherever, and the likes of Periera, Gomes and Chong become the new Pogbas, leaving for pastures new. Is that the team you want?

And more than that, the very high profile nature of our hideous, formless, undead anti-style under Jose, means even the kind of players we’d usually attract as Manchester United, are beginning to turn away because of it. I don't know whether the summer gossip about Mbappe saying he didn't want to come here under Jose is true (probably not) but if you were Mbappe, or a Dembele, or a Greizmann, would you want to play for us right now?.. I mean, if Messi decided to leave Barca tomorrow, how high on his list d’you reckon we’d be? Then think how much higher the allure of a Pep or a Klopp, is? Why would any new Ronaldo/Rooney-esque talents want to play for Jose's Manchester United? Whatever our results, isn’t that somewhat of a fecking problem!?

The double edged sword of being the so called “biggest club in the world” is that our in-house issues are huge global news. The World knows we’re a shit show. And even if by some miracle Jose gets us back to the top in the long term, what effect will that have on us as a club? Or as a (**hock, spit**) brand? If he’s allowed to sell all our flair players for a squad of Ent-like try hards, and we shithouse our way to a title.... then what? Do we become the football version of the Decepticons? Replacing our buccaneering legacy with one of forcible functionality? And what does the next manager after him do, with an empty Academy and an aging team of aggressive loyal oversized 29 year olds? What does sticking with him actually mean?

I was over the moon when we signed Mourinho, but I was wrong. So, so wrong. And I’m sorry. @Wumminator was right. He should be allowed to flagellate half the forum, in truth. And I’d take it. Gladly. Like the bad, bad boy I am...Like we all were. Forgive us. We knew not what we did.

(I may be a little drunk, fwiw)
Bravo man bravo

R'hllor

Really is quite funny how the Liverpool manager seems to rate this United squad far more than Jose and his acolytes who believe we have mid table quality :lol:

Pep has also said more complimentary things about the squad than Jose has
What else could he say

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Modric was a new signing and not yet settled at Madrid at the time, as someone else already pointed out. The rest of the Madrid squad did nothing and won nothing for years, and Barcelona was at the peak of its power when Jose got there. Then he won the league, the cup (first one in 20 years or so), and took them to the semis of CL after they haven't gotten into the quarters for like 8 years.

Salah and KDB were not the players they are today; and didn't he sign Salah in the first place? Hazard and Costa had very good two seasons under Jose when they finished second and first in EPL.

Do facts even matter to you people?
Jose Mourinho has currently got us in midtable.

He has spent more than all but one of the managers above him.

He has increased the wage bill more than any of the other managers above him.

He has our worst start for 28 years.

He has the worlds former most expensive player on the bench.

He has signed eleven players. Two of them would currently get into our best starting eleven.

Salad and De Bruyne were sold by Mourinho as they weren’t good enough. They have since gone on to be the best players in the league.

When Mourinho has the current Balon Dor winner in his squad, he was voted flop of the season.

He is a massive dickhead.

These are all facts.

And their fans more positive than you lot. Most people with cancer are more positive than you.
Thats rich considering you're not even a Utd supporter. When the manager stops throwing our players under the bus, moaning and plays positive football then I'll be more positive.

Ephrem

Modric was a new signing and not yet settled at Madrid at the time, as someone else already pointed out. The rest of the Madrid squad did nothing and won nothing for years, and Barcelona was at the peak of its power when Jose got there. Then he won the league, the cup (first one in 20 years or so), and took them to the semis of CL after they haven't gotten into the quarters for like 8 years.

Salah and KDB were not the players they are today; and didn't he sign Salah in the first place? Hazard and Costa had very good two seasons under Jose when they finished second and first in EPL.

Do facts even matter to you people?
Would Modric had stayed at Madrid longer if Jose stayed there ? Would Hazard ?

Salah and KDB just points out that he just don't know how to manage younger players even if they are exceptionally talented.

As I said I was replying to someone who posted saying that only mentally strong characters can get along with Jose and if they are not if they won't succeed. I have pointed out names of players who have fallen out with Jose one way or the other. Does that makes them mentally weak ??

The fact is Jose falls out all kinds of players. Young players, experienced players, mentally strong players etc etc. And he have spent 400m on new players and barely improved the players or the team play. If one player is underperforming or not playing well it's the players fault. But when the whole team is underperforming in the feild, then it's the managers fault. And he is doing nothing to improve other than just moaning every fecking day.

WensleyMU

How come they are wrong examples ? The guy I quoted said "if the players are mentally
strong then they can be successful with Jose , else they won't "

All the above examples are players who had fallen out with Jose. So are they mentally strong enough ? Will Modric had stated at Madrid if Jose was in charge for another season ? Would Hazard ? Jose had fallen out with majority of the Madrid squad ? Does that mean they all were mentally weak ?

And if you support Jose too that extreme, tell me this things.

1. Which player he managed to improve ?
2. What kind of tactics are we employing ? Is there any kind of improvement in any area of our playing style in the last 3 years ?
3. Other than Ibrahimovic, can any of signings can be considered as success ?
4. How come he failed to sign a RW even after 5 transfer windows ?

Matic, Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez were all his signings and we paid big money for them. Now they are the worst performers in the team. How will you explain that ?

Note: I'm not a Jose hater or anything. The guy tried something but it's pretty clear that it's not working and time for him to move on. The squad is good enough to get into top 4 if coaches and managed properly.
The issue is he didn't fall out with Modric or Costa. And his fall out with Hazard has been explained by Hazard himself as massively over blown. Nor does selling Dear Bruyne or Salah mean they were mentally weak, rather that Chelsea had other options ahead of them and they wanted to play. Not all players are happy to wait, some want to play now. Sancho leaving City under Pep is a prime example of this attitude.

I don't think you really get what being mentally weak means. A player like Ronaldo is not mentally weak, he can take criticism and it drives him to be even better, but a player like Pogba, well he sulks.

Our playing style even at its worst is better than it was under van Gaal.

MDFC Manager

Maybe, but it's still fecking woeful and is frankly a disgrace to the club. It was bearable to a point, as there were possibilities of winning a trophy here and there. That's not going to happen anymore, so he needs to be booted ASAP.

EwanI Ted

A player like Ronaldo is not mentally weak, he can take criticism and it drives him to be even better, but a player like Pogba, well he sulks.
You speak like Pogba has come straight out of the youth team. He won four league titles on the spin in a no nonsense Juve team managed by two managers not known for giving players an easy ride.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm lost for words...
Guardian said:
In the week leading up to Sunday’s Premier League trip to Anfield, MUTV has continued to seek new subscribers by pushing a rather telling product.

“Mourinho Press Conferences Uncut!” the banner advert on the website promises, as it has for some time, offering unfettered, peeled-eyeball access to one part of United’s season that appears to be still flying off the shelves.

Roll up, roll up. Watch in HD as we monetise our own pain.

MDFC Manager

You speak like Pogba has come straight out of the youth team. He won four league titles on the spin in a no nonsense Juve team managed by two managers not known for giving players an easy ride.
And somehow it's only Saint Mourinho who has a problem with Pogba

kr0nix

And somehow it's only Saint Mourinho who has a problem with Pogba
In his Liverpool preview Stephen Howson touched on Mourinho's description of Pogba as a virus:

At 25:10 and 27:12

He claims that Pogba actually unites the team and has been encouraging players that have similar problems with Mou like Valencia and Bailly to play for each other and the badge. That Jose has created a narrative that casts himself in a better light.

the chameleon

The issue is he didn't fall out with Modric or Costa. And his fall out with Hazard has been explained by Hazard himself as massively over blown. Nor does selling Dear Bruyne or Salah mean they were mentally weak, rather that Chelsea had other options ahead of them and they wanted to play. Not all players are happy to wait, some want to play now. Sancho leaving City under Pep is a prime example of this attitude.

I don't think you really get what being mentally weak means. A player like Ronaldo is not mentally weak, he can take criticism and it drives him to be even better, but a player like Pogba, well he sulks.

I don't even know if these types of Mourinho fans are worth arguing with.

It's obvious you're missing something or seeing something through another lense.

So, tell us good sir, what should we do? Do you think we should keep Mourinho and give him another £400m to fix the squad?

I'm very keen to know what your thoughts are on the next steps the club should take and get us challenging for the title!

MDFC Manager

In his Liverpool preview Stephen Howson touched on Mourinho's description of Pogba as a virus:

He claims that Pogba actually unites the team and has been encouraging players that have similar problems with Mou like Valencia and Bailly to play for each other and the badge. That Jose has created a narrative that casts himself in a better light.
Thanks, will check it out.

Its not surprising though. What is surprising is how many people believe the narrative Mourinho is spouting. I mean just think about it - Pogba, who has played for multiple other managers without problems, is deemed a virus over here. And Mourinho who has stunk up every fecking club he's been at recently, is deemed to be a saint who only has the club's best interests at heart.

Utterly bizarre :wenger:

MDFC Manager

He didn't get a response from Shaw. He just played him in consecutive matches and allowed him to build some confidence.
He's still not had Shaw playing anywhere near his best. Same with every other player at the club, even De Gea ffs :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Its not surprising though. What is surprising is how many people believe the narrative Mourinho is spouting. I mean just think about it - Pogba, who has played for multiple other managers without problems, is deemed a virus over here. And Mourinho who has stunk up every fecking club he's been at recently, is deemed to be a saint who only has the club's best interests at heart.

I am getting tired of the "he's played for multiple managers without problems" argument.

Firstly, players tend to be more motivated to work more for their country than clubs but even then Pogba was criticised on occasion for not putting in an effort. He was also labelled as indispensable sure, but coming for a couple weeks with the national team at a time is different to training week in week out.

Next, Serie A is a different league to what we have in England. In the years Pogba was there the gap between Juventus and the rest was quite massive and it wasn't really hard to dominate teams as it is here. Despite this Allegri himself did come out and criticise Pogba on two or more occasions for his lack of input from time to time.

I am not a believer in the idea that Pogba will suddenly be great under a different manager, but time will tell on this. His talent is huge so it would be good to see it happen but talent alone doesn't make you the best.

AndyJ1985

It's as baffling as claiming the Earth is flat. There's evidence proving otherwise yet there are still cretins who will try and argue different. It's no different to people actually defending Mourinho despite irrefutable evidence proving beyond doubt the man is a self-serving c**t who only cares for himself. You have to wonder what these people get out of it. Attention maybe

kr0nix

I am getting tired of the "he's played for multiple managers without problems" argument.

Firstly, players tend to be more motivated to work more for their country than clubs but even then Pogba was criticised on occasion for not putting in an effort. He was also labelled as indispensable sure, but coming for a couple weeks with the national team at a time is different to training week in week out.

Next, Serie A is a different league to what we have in England. In the years Pogba was there the gap between Juventus and the rest was quite massive and it wasn't really hard to dominate teams as it is here. Despite this Allegri himself did come out and criticise Pogba on two or more occasions for his lack of input from time to time.

I am not a believer in the idea that Pogba will suddenly be great under a different manager, but time will tell on this. His talent is huge so it would be good to see it happen but talent alone doesn't make you the best.
The other problem he's facing here is a lack of quality compared to the other teams he's played for. He is no doubt talented, but perhaps not talented enough to be the main man and benefits hugely from others sharing or owning the spotlight.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The other problem he's facing here is a lack of quality compared to the other teams he's played for. He is no doubt talented, but perhaps not talented enough to be the main man and benefits hugely from others sharing or owning the spotlight.
A lot of his performances aren't down to a lack of quality in his peers though.

SteveW

Seeing him sitting wearing a United crest and badmouthing the club and players is just sickening. Staggering that they've let him do it this long.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
These kind of arguments melt my melon man. We shouldn’t have gone to war with Iraq either. That we did, isn’t an excuse for sticking out the endless clusterfeck that followed!... That’s how Naz...erm, Trump’s America started!... (probably.)

Some of the innumerable problems with that are... for example...

a) He’s been here for 3 years now and can field virtually an entire XI of his own players... augmented by his obvious favourites like Fellaini & Young (whom he could replace, but consistently resists doing) What part of that is unfinished? And if it isn’t, whose fault is it?

b) If the likes of Pep, Klopp, Emery, Sarri (and every other 2nd Chelsea manager since 2010, for that matter) can noticeably improve the fortunes, confidence and playing style of a struggling top tier side with a mish mash of good but underperforming players, within half a season or so... which half of the 5 half seasons Jose has spent here, has you convinced he can improve further on the consistently awful, anti-style non-football we’ve seen so far?

c) If our squad is as shit and mid-table as he says, and reaching 2nd was the unfathomably monumental managerial achievement he claims... how exactly does that disprove the idea that a squad is only as good as it’s manager? Or that a new, more motivated manager - who doesn’t throw his entire team under the bus and call them shit at every turn - couldn’t perceivably change our fortunes for the better, by, I dunno, maybe not doing those things? If it was the genius of our manager that got this apparently horrendous £400m squad to drastically overachieve, why isn’t it the same manager’s fault that the same squad is now drastically underachieving? And if it isn’t, why do we even need a manager at all? Let alone such an expensive, elite, personality-cultivating one? What is it we're paying for, or being slavishly loyal to, exactly?

b - ii) And if it was only Fergie’s genius that allowed us to continue being successful and competitive under the Glazers, and miraculously won us the League with the exact same squad that Moyes took to 6th.... how (again!) does that work in favour of the notion that any manager is automatically doomed to fail in our set up? Isn’t the entire reason we hired Jose because he was in the same Fergie-bracket of uniquely brilliant formative bosses? That could get us back into the big time through his own managerial brilliance, without us needing to throw money at any old journeyman schmoe, like Chelsea, or City. And if that wasn't the point, then again (AGAIN!) why did we hire him!? Any manager can complain about City’s Arab state sponsored spending, but you don't hire Jose fecking Mourinho for him to complain about how it's preventing him from competing with the likes of fecking Spurs! Who didn't sign a single fecking player this summer!

c) If the fact he’s historically been a winner at other clubs, is the thing you’re clinging to as the reason he could still, maybe, turn it around here...then why doesn’t the fact that he’s self imploded at every same club in his 3rd season, and is an entirely unknown quantity at this stage in his historical tenure, not an equally importantly 'factual' touchstone?

d) Even if he could potentially salvage his time here...what costs are you willing to except? He fell out with Ronaldo at Madrid, Hazard at Chelsea, and Pogba and Martial here... the other 2 chose the players over him, and almost immediately recovered... if we do “let him finish” what do you envisage that finished product being, exactly? ‘Cos by current accounts, it’s a team of Fellainis, Lukakus and Matic’s, where Willian replaces Martial, who becomes the new Salah or De Bruyne at Juve or wherever, and the likes of Periera, Gomes and Chong become the new Pogbas, leaving for pastures new. Is that the team you want?

And more than that, the very high profile nature of our hideous, formless, undead anti-style under Jose, means even the kind of players we’d usually attract as Manchester United, are beginning to turn away because of it. I don't know whether the summer gossip about Mbappe saying he didn't want to come here under Jose is true (probably not) but if you were Mbappe, or a Dembele, or a Greizmann, would you want to play for us right now?.. I mean, if Messi decided to leave Barca tomorrow, how high on his list d’you reckon we’d be? Then think how much higher the allure of a Pep or a Klopp, is? Why would any new Ronaldo/Rooney-esque talents want to play for Jose's Manchester United? Whatever our results, isn’t that somewhat of a fecking problem!?

The double edged sword of being the so called “biggest club in the world” is that our in-house issues are huge global news. The World knows we’re a shit show. And even if by some miracle Jose gets us back to the top in the long term, what effect will that have on us as a club? Or as a (**hock, spit**) brand? If he’s allowed to sell all our flair players for a squad of Ent-like try hards, and we shithouse our way to a title.... then what? Do we become the football version of the Decepticons? Replacing our buccaneering legacy with one of forcible functionality? And what does the next manager after him do, with an empty Academy and an aging team of aggressive loyal oversized 29 year olds? What does sticking with him actually mean?

I was over the moon when we signed Mourinho, but I was wrong. So, so wrong. And I’m sorry. @Wumminator was right. He should be allowed to flagellate half the forum, in truth. And I’d take it. Gladly. Like the bad, bad boy I am...Like we all were. Forgive us. We knew not what we did.

(I may be a little drunk, fwiw)
Welcome back and well said Mockers,always enjoy your posts.

Morpheus 7

When will this sabotage end, he wants out, the players want him gone and fans have had enough. This board are to blame just like LVG and Moyes at the end. How many poor performance and results are needed. Tomorrow could be a nightmare for us. Everything points to a bad defeat, when will they get the balls to get rid of this man. Will we look better instantly? Probably not, our confidence is so low. A manger with us 3 weeks will pick many of these players up. Drop the limited players and get us going again.

WensleyMU

Pogba wasn't expected to be the main man, a midfield leader. Which quite clearly he is not. And in Italy, Juventus can afford to have someone who messes about like Pogba does, they're almost guaranteed to win the league without really trying. The Premier League is a whole different ball game.

Stactix

So how is Mourinho going to turn it around, I think he's quite clearly proven money isn't going to work but maybe buying Maguire will?
:wenger::wenger::wenger::wenger:

WensleyMU

I don't even know if these types of Mourinho fans are worth arguing with.

It's obvious you're missing something or seeing something through another lense.

So, tell us good sir, what should we do? Do you think we should keep Mourinho and give him another £400m to fix the squad?

I'm very keen to know what your thoughts are on the next steps the club should take and get us challenging for the title!
You enjoy your echo chamber kid.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Right, so I've heard this rumour today from someone whose mate works at Old Trafford (that old chestnut)

Now of course normal protocol applies with rumours (pinch of salt, probably bullshit, etc.) but whatever, just thought I'd share it just to pass the time.

Let me just clarify - I don't believe this rumour.

But anyway, here goes. There's a rumour going round Old Trafford that:

• The board has agreed a 12 million pound severance package for Mourinho to leave in January.

• Mourinho is going to Real Madrid.

• And we're getting Zidane.

There we go. Hope that warms your cockles on this Winter's day. Even though it most likely is nonsense.

kr0nix

A lot of his performances aren't down to a lack of quality in his peers though.
I'm not saying it's his teammates' fault per se. At Juventus and the French NT there were other players with the quality to step up and take responsibility if Pogba wasn't having a great game. Conversely we tend to tank if he is having a bad game. We have a few talented youngsters but our senior players are mostly over the hill and not up to scratch. That's the point.

Should a player of his talent and price tag be putting in consistent performances week in week out? Maybe, but then again maybe that's what we've got to work with at this point in time. We ought to have more options than Route 1 to Fellaini when he's not playing well.

Oldyella

Not sure I could dislike the guy more than I do atm, but christ, if that's true...

Darkhorsez

Right, so I've heard this rumour today from someone whose mate works at Old Trafford (that old chestnut)

Now of course normal protocol applies with rumours (pinch of salt, probably bullshit, etc.) but whatever, just thought I'd share it just to pass the time.

• The board has agreed a 12 million pound severance package for Mourinho to leave in January.

There we go. Hope that warms your cockles on this Winter's day. Even though it most likely is nonsense.
That’s funny! I think out there 3 rumours, the most likely one to be true is the first. His presser was not consistent with someone try to build for future.

dove

This part "Mourinho is going to Real Madrid." just proves it's nonsense. It would be mission impossible even for Mendes :(

the chameleon

If we got Zidane, it would once again demonstrate our lack of future planning.

Zidane would never live in Manchester long term. He rejected us as a player because he didn't like the weather.

Hopefully, there's a reason why Leo Jardim has rejected that Chinese job!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What’s the point in sacking him, but only in a month? If he’s definitely off then do it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.