The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno

What’s up with these new bread of posters on redcafe telling people they are ignored? Childish, grow a pair lol.

But I’ll finish of my points. He’s clearly spent more but it’s not so significant it means we shouldn’t be able to compete. Considering we have been out here breaking transfer records.

I brought up Chelsea to say even with the best team at the time having a VERY poor season, that levels above team couldn’t win the title. City simply like United needed investment and a lot of work to get them to where they are now, it’s not just a simple fact of having a DOF and a better base which is why they secudeded and we didn’t. We like the blame everything around Mourinho when Pep inherited similar bullsh*t. Press you little ignore button on that.
He's spent considerably less than City. City also had a squad of peak-premier league winners and world class players, their squad value was probably £500m-£600m more than United's squad when they both took over their sides, and then Pep has further improved their squad by spending MUCH more than Mourinho has improving his far inferior United squad.

But yeah, they should be competing with City, they should have got 100 points last season, a feat Fergie never managed to do in 27 years. Yeah, Mourinho should have done that with an incredibly underwhelming United squad to prove RedCafe posters wrong about his abilitiys.

Give your head a wobble.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Simple maths kids.

• Pep takes over a squad with Kompany, Otamendi, Fernando, Delph, Fernandinho, KDB, Silva, Sterling, Aguero plus many other peak title winning players
  • VERSUS
  • DDG Smalling, Jones, Schneiderlain, Fellaini, Hererra Rooney Martial and Rashford
  • The day both Mourinho and Pep took over their sides, I make City's squad about £500-600m more talented than Uniteds based on the above squads, maybe more than £600m of more talent.
  • Then compare City spending roughly £550m
  • VERSUS
  • United spending roughly £350m
  • Consider City's squad was already 600m better off, they've then invested over £200m more than United since then, making them about £800m better than United.

Yet fans throw their toys out of their prams when United don't storm to 100 points. Give your head a wobble it's embarrassing.
But but... a better coach... poch... can do better...

Mainoldo

He's spent considerably less than City. City also had a squad of peak-premier league winners and world class players, their squad value was probably £500m-£600m more than United's squad when they both took over their sides, and then Pep has further improved their squad by spending MUCH more than Mourinho has improving his far inferior United squad.

But yeah, they should be competing with City, they should have got 100 points last season, a feat Fergie never managed to do in 27 years. Yeah, Mourinho should have done that with an incredibly underwhelming United squad to prove RedCafe posters wrong about his abilitiys.

Give your head a wobble.
Peak premier league winners? Where are they now then? The last time they won the title before Pep was a year before United won their last title. They had two world class players Augero(in all honesty he’s a world class finisher) and Kompany. We had David De Gea. So it’s just a long line of excuse after excuse. Over the past 6 years they’ve got a net spend of abt 100m more than ours. I really don’t think it was that extra 100m that has us so far apart in direction of progression.

Give your head a conk.

Aloysius's Back 3

Simple maths kids.

• Pep takes over a squad with Kompany, Otamendi, Fernando, Delph, Fernandinho, KDB, Silva, Sterling, Aguero plus many other peak title winning players
  • VERSUS
  • DDG Smalling, Jones, Schneiderlain, Fellaini, Hererra Rooney Martial and Rashford
  • The day both Mourinho and Pep took over their sides, I make City's squad about £500-600m more talented than Uniteds based on the above squads, maybe more than £600m of more talent.
  • Then compare City spending roughly £550m
  • VERSUS
  • United spending roughly £350m
  • Consider City's squad was already 600m better off, they've then invested over £200m more than United since then, making them about £800m better than United.

Yet fans throw their toys out of their prams when United don't storm to 100 points. Give your head a wobble it's embarrassing.
Yet Liverpool had milner, Henderson, Robertson, Clyne, firminh0, Karius, Lovren - the list goes on.

No matter who the players are - the manager has the capability of building a team concept, a team understanding of how they should play football which has been placed at a set standard and been improving for 3 years. No matter who the opposition are - these players have the capability of playing Klopp's football in their sleep because its been drilled to them & the manager has adapted his tactics to get the best out of the players he has.

Examples - Henderson & Milner are back to being hard working midfielders, Salah and mane are made to play as the only forwards in the team; playing an inverted forwards with a false 9 in firminh0.

I was surprised to see Klopp not going for a striker like lewandpwski at Liverpool - but looks like the guy got it right - they don't need his old tactics fitting in to his current club.

On the other hand - if we had firminh0 - would we play him as a false 9 at United. I can bet you anything that it would be zero chance of that happening. Do you know why? It's because Jose has minimal ability to work with what he has & can't adapt his tactics to get the best out of players that don't fit his already mind made agenda.

Can you imagine firminh0 crossing in for Lukaku for 3 seasons :lol: it wouldn't be anything else.

I won't argue that City had a better squad than us, I won't argue that City have more money - but I will not argue that if Klopp, Pep, & Jose had the exact same budget - that the first two would have a much more technically gifted team with the ability to play a type of football that has managed to get the best out of their players both old & new. Jose struggles to adapt his tactics & this is why he always gets in trouble with players at nearly every club that wasn't his 'home' - 3 years & he is gone because Jose & his tactics are more important than the players he has to use.

That my friend has been obvious even here with all the favouritism towards players that emphasise his tactics over things that can be regarded as important to win a match or play some decent football.

Mainoldo

Didn’t Poch finish above all that world class peak Prem talent he just named. With a unproven striker and attacking midfielder from MK Dons? Maybe it is a coach thing :wenger:

cheeky_backheel

He wasn’t right because like most of his young player he refused to coach him. I beg to differ John Stones would have improved under Mourinho. Mourinho didn’t want an understudy he wanted a new center back completely and he hung Terry out to dry to prove his point. Remember the high line tactics he employed against City that made them exploit Terry’s lack of pace. He does this all the time, we’ve seen it first hand this season with McTomminay. Christensen was sent on loan because he lacked another year of development (not really Mourinho’s fault) he showed last year he’s not that bad of a defender but I’ll happily admit he’s not top level and never will be.
so why didnt conte play Christensen when he arrived and instead bought luiz. Christensen was not good enough for Conte a year after and so couldnt have been good enough for mourinho or every other manager except mourinho is allowed to buy proven players?

stones was already starting for everton and was proven to a reasonable degree. varane was a teenager when he joined madrid under mourinho and developed enough to bench pepe. Even mctominay has seen significant playing time and development under mourinho.

the hypocritical and baseless requirements of playing youths that is often applied to mourinho is hilarious. how many youths did conte or pep introduce into their title winning teams?

Boycott

Give your head a wobble.
How have you come to that figure?

City's previous title was in 2014. United's previous was in 2013.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Liverpool being thrown into the mix :lol:

Theyve now overtaken us in spending but last year they were a draw from finishing 5th on the final day of the season.

Mainoldo

so why didnt conte play Christensen when he arrived and instead bought luiz. Christensen was not good enough for Conte a year after and so couldnt have been good enough for mourinho or every other manager except mourinho is allowed to buy proven players?

stones was already starting for everton and was proven to a reasonable degree. varane was a teenager when he joined madrid under mourinho and developed enough to bench pepe. Even mctominay has seen significant playing time and development under mourinho.

the hypocritical and baseless requirements of playing youths that is often applied to mourinho is hilarious. how many youths did conte or pep introduce into their title winning teams?
I did say he lost a year of development. Like I did say that. It would be like a new manager coming into United next season and choosing Andreas Pereira as his Center midfielder, it’s not going to happen with a transfer window and budget available. However I’ve already admitted Christensen is not levels. Mourinho doesn’t develop youth that point has been more than proven over the years and we witness it now. Don’t bring McTomminay again in a youth development argument. You can do better than that lol.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You must’ve blocked it out mate :lol: Popquiz: where did we finish in 2016/17 again?
In fairness, we did win 2 trophies.
I'd rather win trophies and finish 6th, than finish 4th with no trophies.
This 4th place trophy which clubs run as businesses seem to value, isn't a particularly noteworthy achievement, unless you are smaller club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In fairness, we did win 2 trophies.
I'd rather win trophies and finish 6th, than finish 4th with no trophies.
This 4th place trophy which clubs run as businesses seem to value, isn't a particularly noteworthy achievement, unless you are smaller club.
Yeah we finished outside top 4, I forgot that.
But LVG in finishing outside top 4 failed with Champions League qualification. Jose was able to get that through another route so he certainly earned his time.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Or they followed Jose Mourinho's managerial career and know that he never ever dug himself out of a hole like this and never, at any club, managed to improve on what he achieved in his second season.
Well, this will be the first time he's managed to do exactly that.
He is a top class manager, who has won trophies for us and got us our highest placed finish since SAF retired. In my books, he has earned some goodwill.
Also, take note, that since our low, we are climbing the league. Our last 3 results - win against Newcastle, draw against CFC (who got very lucky to get that draw) and win against Everton.
If these results are anything to go by, I think Jose is steadying the ship and has it heading in the right direction.
We just need a striker who can actually score goals, given that our current striker is next to useless, right now.

Fujiland

Liverpool being thrown into the mix :lol:

Theyve now overtaken us in spending but last year they were a draw from finishing 5th on the final day of the season.
I can't see your logic, but maybe argue without logic is your thing.

1. Liverpool had worse teams and less spendings than us past seasons, they supposed to finish worse than us based on your argument, unless if you think your argument was wrong. And in case you didn't notice, they also could have won CL if Salah not injured.

2. They spent more in summer, and clearly they are better, from standing and style of play. So I don't know what you are trying to argue.

3. Lot of their spending for players were from the sale from Coutinho, in other words, to replace Coutinho with some of the players. If you understand finance of a business enterprise, then you know for the past 3 years we still spent way more than Liverpool, even without counting wages.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yep. We need to sack our serial winner and bring on board someone who has never won a trophy before.
It doesn't take a genius that when the guy who can't win trophies fails, in 2 years, his supporters will demand that he be sacked....even though they knew (when he was hired), that he isn't a manager who delivers trophies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Jose steadies ship, the "he's never dug himself out of a crisis" point will render itself moot.

Hawks2008

Jose FC Bootlickers really out here huh? For all the talk of money and teams inherited, he has not even done the bare minimum to make us competitive.

Treble

Agreed, nor that they won the following year with just 87pts.

You though are the one bringing points into it to slag off Mourinho in his third season, the truth is that he was just denied a third straight title by one of SAF’s greatest ever teams.

What was the comparison in starting 11 costs by the way that season just out of interest.
I'm bringing points into it relative (!) to Chelsea's enormous spending under Jose. You seem to struggle to grasp a simple point. Are you being deliberately obtuse there?

To win 83 pts is not a failue in itself. To win 83 pts after spending muuuuuch more than your rivals is a failure. E.g., if Guardiola wins only 83 pts with City's current squad (which in relative prices is way cheaper than Chelsea's in 06-07) that would be an unmitiagated failure.

Chelsea's spending (transfermarkt):

03-04 (1 year prior to Jose) - 150m
04-05 - 150m
05-06 - 82m
06-07 - 80m

In total: 462m (in current prices that's over 1,5 bn within 3-4 years!).

United:

03-04 - 50m
04-05 - 55m
05-06 - 28m
06-07 - 25m

In total: 158m.

Even though United had a better team/squad prior to Abramovich, Chelsea's spending was absolutely insane. In that context, to win only 83 pts was a bit of a failure.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

The overhaul has already happened. 300 plus millions worth. Pep took over a tream that finished 4th on goal difference, equal to United. It need work. Mourinho has got us to a level just under Pep’s team, some would say Champions if it wasn’t for how good City was last season. So why do we need the same significant changes? Do we need 3 strikers? No. Do we need 2 Midfielders not really. Pep would require a Jorginho but who knows how good Perieria is capable of being. 3 CB’s. No again he can make a title winning team out of Otamendi he can do it with Rojo. Keepers - well we have the best in he world and the best number 2 in the world.
So you break down to me what would be required?
pep has a philosophy on how his team should play (which is a variation of the ajax total football adopted by barca) with an emphasis on possession over being direct ( mourinho leans the other way), thus his team requires players including gk who can play like this - technical ability over strength and pace. Of our current squad, players that would survive would likely be limited to lindelof, martial, Herrera and pogba ( if he can evolve his game). the likes of sanchez, mata and matic would have survived if younger, while fred may get through as a DM. overall you would be looking at 10-15 new players over 3 seasons. rashford, lukaku, bailly, valencia and young would likely depart in the first summer, with matic, sanchez, mata and others going in the next batch

pep knows his limitations and has only coached teams that subscribe to a similar philosophy - barca, bayern and citeh.
Everything is based on philosophy. That’s a stupid arguement. Barcelona win because of philosophy, it’s just who has the better one. We have a team designed for attacking philosophy with a negative manager hence why it’s not working.
By philosophy you mean buying players like neymar, suarez, coutinho, umtiti etc? barcelona win cos they have a great squad, a manager that can bring out the quality in the squad, and one of the best players in the world who can provide a moment of magic when everything else doesnt work.
City’s squad Pep picked up is not better than the current United squad. Stop it.
but he didnt win anything with them and spent over 400m before winning the title. Give most decent managers our current squad and 400m and am sure they would mount a title challenge

The best squad in Europe is currently performing worse than us. Maybe he was actually an alright manager.
not anymore - older, no CR and lack depth
Klopp won the league though. With the monopoly of Bayern. One it twice with his acceptional group. I would say that’s achieving standards? No? This Liverpool team is the best he’s had to date. So we shall see.
until he does, dont believe he can. mourinho has been more successful and more recently too, so if he cant win, there is no basis to think klopp can.
He’s unemployed the same reason why Zidane and Klopp and Guardiola have been unemployed in the past. When the right comes up I’m sure he will take it.
he has been unemployed for two season and cant remember him being linked to any big club. Even emery got a job with arsenal

Sarri I give you but he’d have us playing better football and we have a better ‘squad’ than Chelsea.
dont think we do. they have better defenders, better dm, and better attackers ( we dont have anyone comparable to hazard). the edge in midfield i will give us cos of pogba. we also have an older squad.
Poch your right as I’ve said this team not including a bigger budget, which he would have. We aren’t too dis similar to what he has now. But he would have better options from the bench.
wish he would go to a lesser league to get some titles and championship swagger. it is too difficult to break your duck in the PLwhen you are not managing one of the richer clubs. those core players will also start leaving soon.

cheeky_backheel

I did say he lost a year of development. Like I did say that. It would be like a new manager coming into United next season and choosing Andreas Pereira as his Center midfielder, it’s not going to happen with a transfer window and budget available. However I’ve already admitted Christensen is not levels. Mourinho doesn’t develop youth that point has been more than proven over the years and we witness it now. Don’t bring McTomminay again in a youth development argument. You can do better than that lol.
and varane, rashford, balotelli, santon, zuma? if you are good, you will get game time. the problem is that demand at big clubs doesnt give much room for youth development.

mourinho probably has the best youth record of the big club managers

Kapardin

and varane, rashford, balotelli, santon, zuma? if you are good, you will get game time. the problem is that demand at big clubs doesnt give much room for youth development.

mourinho probably has the best youth record of the big club managers
Yep, I agree with this. One thing Mourinho can't be faulted for, is not giving youth a chance. It's an utter myth, as his career shows that when he is relatively settled and at peace with the club, he tries to bring through a kid or two.

Unfair to say he doesn't give youth a chance especially when most top managers don't.

I'm bringing points into it relative (!) to Chelsea's enormous spending under Jose. You seem to struggle to grasp a simple point. Are you being deliberately obtuse there?

To win 83 pts is not a failue in itself. To win 83 pts after spending muuuuuch more than your rivals is a failure. E.g., if Guardiola wins only 83 pts with City's current squad (which in relative prices is way cheaper than Chelsea's in 06-07) that would be an unmitiagated failure.

Chelsea's spending (transfermarkt):

03-04 (1 year prior to Jose) - 150m
04-05 - 150m
05-06 - 82m
06-07 - 80m

In total: 462m (in current prices that's over 1,5 bn within 3-4 years!).

United:

03-04 - 50m
04-05 - 55m
05-06 - 28m
06-07 - 25m

In total: 158m.

Even though United had a better team/squad prior to Abramovich, Chelsea's spending was absolutely insane. In that context, to win only 83 pts was a bit of a failure.
Considering Chelsea’s squad was miles behind United to begin with, just add up the numbers including Rooney, Ferdinand etc. You can’t just ignore that Chelsea were playing massive catch up.

That is the very definition of obtuse, as is adding in the ridiculous spending 1 year before Jose just to bump up your numbers. I mean, how many of those were even playing regularly in 2007 @Treble?

Mutu? Veron? Crespo? Duff? Bridge? Gerami? Johnson?

Is a ridiculous point anyway, United were the best team in Europe in 2008, an incredible team... was it still a failure to get only 87 points? Was it feck.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't care about spending, other team with much less money than us play better football.

We should be challenging city but right now we are miles behind, and I can't see Jose turning this around.

We will see what position we end up, but unless we manage to get some consistency and hit a run of 6-7 games unbeaten we won't catch the top 4.

If that happens he should go.

bleedred

If Jose steadies ship, the "he's never dug himself out of a crisis" point will render itself moot.
And because we have had such a bad start, the standards have dropped so low that home wins against Newcastle and Everton are considered steadying the ship.

Treble

Considering Chelsea’s squad was miles behind United to begin with, just add up the numbers including Rooney, Ferdinand etc. You can’t just ignore that Chelsea were playing massive catch up.

That is the very definition of obtuse, as is adding in the ridiculous spending 1 year before Jose just to bump up your numbers. I mean, how many of those were even playing regularly in 2007 @Treble?

Mutu? Veron? Crespo? Duff? Bridge? Gerami? Johnson?

Is a ridiculous point anyway, United were the best team in Europe in 2008, an incredible team... was it still a failure to get only 87 points? Was it feck.
I'm including the year prior to Jose exactly to make it clear that he didn't start from nothing, he took over a team that finished above United season 03/04!

03/04: Arsenal 90, Chelsea 79, United 75.

Chelsea scored more and conceded fewer goals than United season 03-04!

And then Jose came and invested insane money in a team that finished above United and played a CL semi in 2004!

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And because we have had such a bad start, the standards have dropped so low that home wins against Newcastle and Everton are considered steadying the ship.
Did I say he's already steadied the ship?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And he got fired and have hired someone else. So have Madrid. I'll take their recent successes with their impatience than whatever it is we seem do with our managers. You guys keep moaning about sacking managers but what bad has it really done for anyone so far? Or what the hell is keeping underperforming managers supposed to do for us if I may ask? Prove we're special or something?
Understand that.
My point about Chelsea was that essentially the same squad won the PL with 2 different managers in a short period of time and are doing well with the 3rd.

So. That suggests that it was largely because of a good quality squad (Mourinho’s) that they have been successful even with rapid changes of management.

bleedred

Certainly implied it.
If you say I implied it, then certainly from your posts, you are implying that we have steadied the ship.

Bullshit. Since the second half of Newcastle to our final whistle against Everton we were looking much improved domestically when compared to the form up to the West Ham game.

I haven't conveniently left out shit. I'm talking about our domestic chances in the top 4 race. I always have.
No. But beating Newcastle, outplaying Burnley, Everton, deserving 3 points to Chelsea away and so on are signs of improvement.

Anyway, how is 7 points from 9 not considered to be going towards steadying the ship?
Because its a small sample size and cherry picking, given you conveniently ignored the Juve gave inbetween to suit your agenda.

If you consider that 2/3 wins is "steadying the ship", then why is it unfair for us to call 1 win in 7, "sackable"?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you say I implied it, then certainly from your posts, you are implying that we have steadied the ship.

Because its a small sample size and cherry picking, given you conveniently ignored the Juve gave inbetween to suit your agenda.

If you consider that 2/3 wins is "steadying the ship", then why is it unfair for us to call 1 win in 7, "sackable"?
Because you don't get sacked for a bit of poor form.

I'm only speaking domestically so wouldn't have bothered with the Juve game in the first place. I don't think losing 1-0 to one of the favourites in the Champions League tips us back into crisis by any stretch, why should it?

1 win from 7 isn't sackable and 7 points from 9 isn't solving all problems, but it sure as hell points to him steadying the ship. It might not be "steadied" yet if we were to continue this analogy, but its sure as hell is getting there.

We beat Newcastle, we deserved the win against Chelsea and we put away Everton who were 3 wins on the bounce themselves.

bleedred

Because you don't get sacked for a bit of poor form.
What else do you sack a manager for?. You won't see any club, let alone big club, accepting such results, specially considering the quality of teams we lost to.

But, but, had we sacked Fergie in the 90's?. I am sure someone would bring that up!

I'm only speaking domestically so wouldn't have bothered with the Juve game in the first place. I don't think losing 1-0 to one of the favourites in the Champions League tips us back into crisis by any stretch, why should it?
Why would you?. Considering it doesn't suit you agenda of somehow turning the tide.

The manner in which we played against a side at home, CL favourites or not, was cowardly/appalling. But yeah, lets ignore that. While we are at it, lets ignore the Derby and Valencia game as well.

Considering that you chose to ignore/blackout he finished 6th in his first season, I don't find it hard that you chose to ignore the results that doesn't suit your arguments.

1 win from 7 isn't sackable and 7 points from 9 isn't solving all problems, but it sure as hell points to him steadying the ship. It might not be "steadied" yet if we were to continue this analogy, but its sure as hell is getting there.
Yeah, the new dawn. Just like the "our next X games" thread created every time we win a game.

Supposing we lose the next three games and manage 2 out of three after that, Would you still be saying "we are getting there"?. Honest question?

Because it has already happened in the past seasons and in this season itself. We lost to spurs and Brighton. Then won against, Watford and burnley, and suddenly,"We are back!!!"

We beat Newcastle,
Barely.

we deserved the win against Chelsea
Draw was a fair result. They had 21 shots to our 7 and had more than 60% of possession. I don't see how we deserved a win there?

and we put away Everton who were 3 wins on the bounce themselves.
Again, barely.

And this is the set of results which we are supposed to believe has "steadied the ship".

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What else do you sack a manager for?. You won't see any club, let alone big club, accepting such results, specially considering the quality of teams we lost to.

But, but, had we sacked Fergie in the 90's?. I am sure someone would bring that up!

Why would you?. Considering it doesn't suit you agenda of somehow turning the tide.

The manner in which we played against a side at home, CL favourites or not, was cowardly/appalling. But yeah, lets ignore that. While we are at it, lets ignore the Derby and Valencia game as well.

Yeah, the new dawn. Just like the "our next X games" thread created every time we win a game.

Supposing we lose the next three games and manage 2 out of three after that, Would you still be saying "we are getting there"?. Honest question?

Because it has already happened in the past seasons and in this season itself. We lost to spurs and Brighton. Then won against, Watford and burnley, and suddenly,"We are back!!!"

Barely.

Draw was a fair result. They had 21 shots to our 7 and had more than 60% of possession. I don't see how we deserved a win there?

Again, barely.
Jesus you speak such utter tripe. 1 point from 7 and you'd sack Mourinho because in your words "what else do you sack a manager for" :lol:

It's like you don't really follow football and will just happy sack managers if they have a rare bad period with a club.

Go and look at my posts in the past few days, I haven't once spoken of our European form. I'm just talking about the league form. Yes let's throw Derby into it, a side that really should have beaten Chelsea yesterday too, and a game that was before I marked examples of Jose steadying the ship, which therefore has feck all to do with the argument

Barely or not, we have 7 points in 9, all of which were strongly deserved on the balance of the game. That's steadying the ship, whether you like to admit it or not.

WensleyMU

We were miles better than Everton, it wasn't a close game at all. A comfortable victory for us that was never in doubt from 10-15 minutes in.

As for Pep v Jose, let's put it like this, put Jose in charge of City and he does the same, maybe even more knowing Jose's ability to take clubs that have no business winning Champions Leagues to Champions League glory. Put Pep at United in 2016/17 and right now, this threads 300+ pages long calling for Peps head because he cannot compete with Jose at City.

Georgan

The "money spent" argument is a really dull one.

The reason why he has had to spend that much is because we completely lacked certain type of players in EVERY area of the pitch. If he had inherited a squad with one or two superstars and some elite players, he wouldn't have had to spend as much as he did. Even though, I guess he would have spend all he spent on players that could improve the squad, not build the squad, which he has done in a very limited way.

Jose is the best manager in the world, the squad he has... Not so much.

Mainoldo

We were miles better than Everton, it wasn't a close game at all. A comfortable victory for us that was never in doubt from 10-15 minutes in.

As for Pep v Jose, let's put it like this, put Jose in charge of City and he does the same, maybe even more knowing Jose's ability to take clubs that have no business winning Champions Leagues to Champions League glory. Put Pep at United in 2016/17 and right now, this threads 300+ pages long calling for Peps head because he cannot compete with Jose at City.
If Jose was at City. Sheik Masour might have thought he was filing a divorce the way the cash was coming out. The premier league would have said Augero was finished; David Silva and Sane would have been criticised for work ethic; Demichiles and Kompany would be first choice with complaints how needs to sell before he can buy another CB and we’d be pretty smug at comments he made saying City are not a big club like United after failing in the league and CL again.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
1. That’s not a quote, it’s a summary.
2. He’s right if he did say it.
3. It’s the mirror. How many times is that paper going to make shit up before people stop using it as a source? Or did Jose get the sack regardless of the result against Newcastle and I’ve just been drunk since then?

As for getting himself sacked? Maybe, but one things for sure he’s telling the truth every time he opens his mouth about Woodward and the board. The club does lack a winning mentality. The club does need to keep investing year after year if they want to be serial winners. Woody and the board seem to have an arsnel mentality of top 4 is good enough. Regardless of whether Jose is the right man to take us forward, woody is not and that board needs a kick up the arse if they are holding us back also.
I agree!

I'm including the year prior to Jose exactly to make it clear that he didn't start from nothing, he took over a team that finished above United season 03/04!
You're including it to bump the numbers, of course. United's big signings like Veron conveniently on Jose's list despite him not signing him, Rooney and Rio both missing from the "costs".

And why are you ignoring that SAF's best, or second best ever side (depending which side you stand on), Champions League winners and 3 straight titles only had 87 points, is that somehow not a failure? Yet 83 points is? We had a fella that year that was the best player in the World, one of the two best players ever. That side would beat this City side, a team that has spunked a gazzilion pounds, yet only got 87 points. I think someone has got a little giddy about what City managed last season.

It's all silly anyway, calling someone a failure for not winning 3 in a row, narrowly losing the league to a great United side and winning a cup double, including beating that great United side in the FA Cup final is daft as feck. I'm pretty certain if you take a deep breath and think about it, you will think that also.

Last edited:

bleedred

Jesus you speak such utter tripe. 1 point from 7 and you'd sack Mourinho because in your words "what else do you sack a manager for" :lol:

It's like you don't really follow football and will just happy sack managers if they have a rare bad period with a club.

Go and look at my posts in the past few days, I haven't once spoken of our European form. I'm just talking about the league form. Yes let's throw Derby into it, a side that really should have beaten Chelsea yesterday too, and a game that was before I marked examples of Jose steadying the ship, which therefore has feck all to do with the argument

Barely or not, we have 7 points in 9, all of which were strongly deserved on the balance of the game. That's steadying the ship, whether you like to admit it or not.
Its like you have never seen football managers sacked and the team have moved on!

2 wins out of three and people are like, "We are back, they are worried"!

Go ahead and live in your own false dawn with your green smileys.

Status
Not open for further replies.