g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy Rederson

He changed the coaching team, not the scouts. I have no idea which area scouts remain from SAF's reign but Jim Lawlor is still the chief scout of this club, as he was under Fergie.
It seems that we’ve been rebuilding our scouting network for the past 4 or so years. If what I read is true that is. Supposedly we should be seeing the benefits in the coming years. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds if it’s all true.

EwanI Ted

IMO SAF is the greatest manager of all time period.

He joined us in 1986 having led Aberdeen domestic success over Rangers and Celtic and European success.

The first three seasons were not great from a league perspective, there were many expensive signings that didn't work out. In the third season we got thumped 5-1 by City and there was a huge 'Fergie out' campaign and many believe that Mark Robin's headed winner against Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round on January 7 saved SAF's job. We finished finished 13th in the league the lowest position since being relegated 15 years earlier but triumphed over Crystal Palace, after a replay, to win the FA cup.

We were unlucky the following year to not win the league and then won it in season five.

SAF was given time, money to invest and allowed to make the odd mistake or two in the transfer market in order to rebuild the squad and even with the backing it wasn't until his fourth season that we looked like a title challenging side.

The rest is history and we played some fantastic attacking football along the way. However, the way we played was dependent on the opposition and against decent teams we 'parked the bus' and won. In the last few seasons we didn't have as good a team and often played boring football but still won which just proves what a genius SAF was.

Most people acknowledge that there is a huge rebuild required yet many are unwilling to give Mourinho the time, money and space to invest, make mistakes, try things out and get his winning formula. Personally I can't see the point of saying we need a major rebuild and then sacking every manager and starting again when things don't always go right or we are not playing the perfect attacking football. There are only four or five managers in the world that are good enough to manage us and we have one of them. The football may not be the swashbuckling football everyone wants but until we have the squad to be able to play this way it would be reckless. SAF recognised this and always set the team up with the best chance they had to win based on the players available and the opposition players which was why his last few seasons were not as attacking in style.

I am not saying everything is perfect at the club but we haven't got a right to instant success and if rebuild is what is required we rebuild properly and not sack everyone every other season. We are better than that.
I really wish this comparison would go away. SAF was a builder who rebuilt clubs from the ground up, including a focus on taking up and coming players cheap or youngsters though the academy and making them the best they could be. That's what he did at Aberdeen and what he was doing at United, as could be seen in the excellent players he was picking up in the late 80s, the improvements in the scouting and the change in the drinking culture. That, by its very nature, takes time.

(also, who are these "many expensive signings that didn't work out?")

Mourinho is a short term results manager, who has never once undertaken a long term rebuilding job in his life, or even shown the inclination to do so. He buys for the now and he handles his players for the now, with no pretence of a long term vision . Indeed, we hired him because he is a short term manager, and we wanted a short term result. It didn't work out, such is life, but pretending he's something he's not is simply folly and comparing the two is pointless.

Cloud7

IMO SAF is the greatest manager of all time period.

He joined us in 1986 having led Aberdeen domestic success over Rangers and Celtic and European success.

The first three seasons were not great from a league perspective, there were many expensive signings that didn't work out. In the third season we got thumped 5-1 by City and there was a huge 'Fergie out' campaign and many believe that Mark Robin's headed winner against Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round on January 7 saved SAF's job. We finished finished 13th in the league the lowest position since being relegated 15 years earlier but triumphed over Crystal Palace, after a replay, to win the FA cup.

We were unlucky the following year to not win the league and then won it in season five.

SAF was given time, money to invest and allowed to make the odd mistake or two in the transfer market in order to rebuild the squad and even with the backing it wasn't until his fourth season that we looked like a title challenging side.

The rest is history and we played some fantastic attacking football along the way. However, the way we played was dependent on the opposition and against decent teams we 'parked the bus' and won. In the last few seasons we didn't have as good a team and often played boring football but still won which just proves what a genius SAF was.

Most people acknowledge that there is a huge rebuild required yet many are unwilling to give Mourinho the time, money and space to invest, make mistakes, try things out and get his winning formula. Personally I can't see the point of saying we need a major rebuild and then sacking every manager and starting again when things don't always go right or we are not playing the perfect attacking football. There are only four or five managers in the world that are good enough to manage us and we have one of them. The football may not be the swashbuckling football everyone wants but until we have the squad to be able to play this way it would be reckless. SAF recognised this and always set the team up with the best chance they had to win based on the players available and the opposition players which was why his last few seasons were not as attacking in style.

I am not saying everything is perfect at the club but we haven't got a right to instant success and if rebuild is what is required we rebuild properly and not sack everyone every other season. We are better than that.
I love these “catch all” posts that manage to roll every possible excuse for Mourinho into one neat package, with a healthy heaping of dragging Sir Alex time with us through the mud to try and twist it in some way to justify Mourinho being here. Keep up the good work mate.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I find it disheartening that a failure to get top four is the only reason he will be sacked.
I don't think it will ever cross Ed Woodward's mind to sack a manager because of the quality of football on display and the lack of progress among players. Shit like that doesn't matter to him. He only looks and shit he can quantify like top four. This club needs a reorientation.

Shark

@NotShark
I find it disheartening that a failure to get top four is the only reason he will be sacked.
I don't think it will ever cross Ed Woodward's mind to sack a manager because of the quality of football on display and the lack of progress among players. Shit like that doesn't matter to him. He only looks and shit he can quantify like top four. This club needs a reorientation.
It's pretty amateur stuff. Woodward is clearly out of his depth. Every shite decision on and off the pitch the club is making is under him and until we remove him from the football side of things, it'll only get worse. He's the only constant in this train-wreck.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thats precisely the point . He wanted to implement a 4231 and took Lukaku in ( previously Zlatan). He wanted Perisic who can chip in accurate crosses for Lukaku but in reality our team's signings has been best suited for a 433 . Would we have fared better if he had got his signings ? Probably, but then his targets were short term options .

So there is always an argument that Klopp got the players he wanted to play a 433 while Jose didn't get what he wanted to play a 4231 ( mean with wingers)
Come on now. Mourinho may have been more pleased if that hypothetical scenario came true but we were never challenging for the title with the mighty Lukaku and Ivan Perisic. Look at Lukaku's hold up play, his physique and his inability to dominate defenders. Not to mention his miserable first touch. He's a decent CF and goalscorer but decent doesn't create a team that can challenge this incredibly good City team. Neither does playing Perisic ahead of someone far more talented and now, frankly, better.

And I get your point regarding balance and the 'system', a point I raised with regards to Klopp. But it's about your vision and where it aims. Klopp and Guardiola's vision is aiming for the stars. Ours is old school archaic football that's aiming for scraping top 4. I was going to mention in a thread, maybe this one, that the blueprint of finding players to fit a cohesive system is inherently flawed when it begins with your number 9 being darn Lukaku. Put whoever you want around him. Unless it's Messi and Ronaldo this isn't a 'system' or a vision that leads to greatness IMO.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I would probably let Martial and Shaw go if the circumstances are right. Both have good potential but, for the same reasons i'd let Pogba go, they're good but not United players. Nothing naive about it or anything to get hysterical about. I just dont like any of the three as United players. I think we can find a better fit in all three cases.

Regarding your point about strengthening a rival, Mata was Chelseas POTY for 2 year running prior to them "strengthening" us by selling him to us for £37m, Sanchez was arguably Arsenals best player prior to them selling him to us and "strengthening" us.
What exactly do you mean by 'not United players'

What is the characteristic of a United player.
Reason I ask concerns Luke Shaw who I see as a good fit for our squad.

I remain to be convinced about Martial as he only seems to play if he gets a pass to his feet and doesn't work anything like hard enough for the team.

I have made my views clear on Pogba.
He looks like a very expensive luxury and (thus far) only plays when the mood takes him. Jose has been very clear as to what he wants of him, so it is now up to Pogba.

Amir

You can blame Mourinho for a lot of things, but how you blame him for a player’s immobility, horrific first touch, poor sense of positioning and overall poor physique?
We all have our thoughts and ideas, but Mourinho is the one who is paid huge money to make the right decisions. If Lukaku has all those faults, why did Mourinho want him as his center forward?

Siorac

Thank you for your insightful contribution Siorac it is appreciated
You're welcome.

Frankly, it gets exhausting reading this all over again. All of these have been answered thousands of times.

1) Mourinho is not a builder, never built anything long-term, never even spent more than three full seasons at any club.
2) It's 2018, not 1988. Football changed dramatically.
3) 'Swashbuckling' football would be 'reckless' - well we're currently playing dire football AND getting mostly shit results at the same time.
4) Keeping managers past their obvious expiration date on the off chance that they turn out to be the next Sir Alex Ferguson is idiotic.

Roboc7

I really wish this comparison would go away. SAF was a builder who rebuilt clubs from the ground up, including a focus on taking up and coming players cheap or youngsters though the academy and making them the best they could be. That's what he did at Aberdeen and what he was doing at United, as could be seen in the excellent players he was picking up in the late 80s, the improvements in the scouting and the change in the drinking culture. That, by its very nature, takes time.

Mourinho is a short term results manager, who has never once undertaken a long term rebuilding job in his life, or even shown the inclination to do so. He buys for the now and he handles his players for the now, with no pretence of a long term vision . Indeed, we hired him because he is a short term manager, and we wanted a short term result. It didn't work out, such is life, but pretending he's something he's not is simply folly and comparing the two is pointless.
Very good summary of Mourinho and what he actually offers. We brought him in to do the job in a particular way and from his history it’s clear that this would be a short term fix. He has followed his usual pattern but failed to achieve his usual success in the second season. It’s now going wrong and his short term effect has collapsed, there is no positive to be had by him remaining.

Can already see that his entire plan for next season would rest completely on being allowed to outspend everyone else and buy whoever he wants. Failure to do so would result in more tantrums and blaming everyone but himself.

Ferguson wouldnt have quit on the season before it started, you can’t compare him to Mourinho. He’s even already started saying already he can’t compete for years unless the other teams stop investing and get worse.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Come on now. Mourinho may have been more pleased if that hypothetical scenario came true but we were never challenging for the title with the mighty Lukaku and Ivan Perisic. Look at Lukaku's hold up play, his physique and his inability to dominate defenders. Not to mention his miserable first touch. He's a decent CF and goalscorer but decent doesn't create a team that can challenge this incredibly good City team. Neither does playing Perisic ahead of someone far more talented and now, frankly, better.

And I get your point regarding balance and the 'system', a point I raised with regards to Klopp. But it's about your vision and where it aims. Klopp and Guardiola's vision is aiming for the stars. Ours is old school archaic football that's aiming for scraping top 4. I was going to mention in a thread, maybe this one, that the blueprint of finding players to fit a cohesive system is inherently flawed when it begins with your number 9 being darn Lukaku. Put whoever you want around him. Unless it's Messi and Ronaldo this isn't a 'system' or a vision that leads to greatness IMO.
Well its hypothetical - truth is players (esp young ones) are expected to step up after moving to a big club and Lukaku hasn't .
2 years before ,if you had told me this would be our line up, I would have been quite happy

Valencia - Smalling -New CB- Sandro
Pogba - Matic
Willian - Mata - Sanchez
Lukaku

Thing is Lukaku and Pogba hasn't done any favors to him . Neither has Ed who could have provided him the players he wanted ( atleast a like to like replacement- not signing William/Perisic was fine but then who was our backup option?)

Dont get me wrong, Jose has been a mess but I do think Ed also should have done better on certain things.

Apokalips

To be honest, who can blame Mourinho and the board for thinking that we don't mind this malaise? We cheer Mourinho's name and boo Pogba after Mou disses him. Our outward showing of support for Mourinho will obviously make the board indecisive about getting rid of him.

Can we just please get a manager who shows love for the club and fans and brings harmony and positivity both on and off the pitch? Someone who gives youth an opportunity and wants to impose our style on the opponent and not let the opposition play. I hate seeing and feeling the negativity around this club that Mourinho has created, I hate how he has tried to turn fans against a variety of players and I don't like seeing our fans rabidly attacking one another over every little thing. We've seen this story before with Jose, why are we trapping ourselves in this nightmare.

Aloysius's Back 3

If we send an empty bucket around the next game labelled '10 million pay off price for Jose' - do you think that would be enough to get woodward thinking that we could not care a single string about Jose's contract and pay offs?

goin4glory

that's hardly his concern either. Everyone from our former players right to supporters demand United to play attacking, pass to feet, football. If Mourinho can't understand that then he's the problem not Pogba.

Mou can be quite petty for a person whom, he say, to be quite thick skinned. The situation is quite simple to me. Deschamps, Conte and Allegri took the best out of Pogba then why can't the special one do the same? Same thing about many many players who were better under other managers.
Former players can say whatever they want, they aren't contracted by the club and owe nothing to the manager. Former players aren't in the changing room while tactical instructions are being handed out either, pogba is and his comments make it look like Mourinho is setting us up to be too defensive.

When Pogba plays for Deschamps he has the luxury of having Umtiti/Varane/Kante behind him, at Juve he had the best defensive line in world football along with Pirlo/Vidal. His weaknesses were made up for. And let's not act like it's been all rosy for Pogba in either camp, he was taken off in games before the world cup because of really poor performances and their was a huge debate about his role/position in the team.

Fracture90

He was United's target. He was Chelsea's top target. He was apparently the best striker who was "available" in that window.

I know Mourinho has to shoulder a lot of blame because he sanctioned the deal. But it was impossible to predict back then that he would turn out to be so bad.

Strikers are a hit or a miss thing. Just look at Torres, Sanchez, Morata, Shevchenko, Lukaku. Every one in that list was supposedly a "top buy
You're trying to downplay Mourinho's fault but you're fighting a losing battle. He he identified Lukaku as a player worth getting and he's failing to get the best out of him. There's one thing called command responsibility, you can't just absolve Mourinho saying who knew he'll turn out to be like this.

Again, to reiterate, Mourinho deserves the sack, but he can't be held responsible for everything that goes wrong in the club. The rot runs deeper.
Why do people that are defending Mourinho always feel the need to exaggerate like this? Have I in any way implied it's all Mourinho's fault for what's happening to the club?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Former players can say whatever they want, they aren't contracted by the club and owe nothing to the manager. Former players aren't in the changing room while tactical instructions are being handed out either, pogba is and his comments make it look like Mourinho is setting us up to be too defensive.

When Pogba plays for Deschamps he has the luxury of having Umtiti/Varane/Kante behind him, at Juve he had the best defensive line in world football along with Pirlo/Vidal. His weaknesses were made up for. And let's not act like it's been all rosy for Pogba in either camp, he was taken off in games before the world cup because of really poor performances and their was a huge debate about his role/position in the team.
Pogba said that we should attack, something echoed by former players and even Mourinho at times. I don't see the problem of it rather then the usual Mourinho causing friction were there is none. He makes Pogba look undisciplined when its really not the case. The man worked with Conte who I assure you is a control freak both when he was a player and especially now that he's a manager. No manager had ever complained about Pogba apart from Mourinho.

Also its not as if the club didn't financially backed Mourinho. They gave him 400m for god sake. Maybe he should had invested it wisely instead on spending it on donkeys like Lukaku and Matic.

I think its more a case of Mourinho trying to deflect attention on himself by throwing players under the bridge. He did it before with Martial and Shaw. Its amazing because Matic had been performing far worse then Pogba and yet he keep playing every game and no bad word is said about him. Such attitude is only set to create friction in the team.

Last edited:

devilish

That was the lowest of low abuse to Jose.
seriously its amazing how the guy expect his players to be mindless and emotionless robots who take everything with a smile over their face while he can't stop throwing them under the bridge in a bid to deflect criticism over himself.

Water Melon

seriously its amazing how the guy expect his players to be mindless and emotionless robots who take everything with a smile over their face while he can't stop throwing them under the bridge in a bid to deflect criticism over himself.
Exactly, imagine if one of our players gave the interview along the lines of: "Mourinho? Yes, he is a decent coach, but you know compared to other top coaches his results are clear we are mid-table. We are in our 3rd season with him, but we still have no idea how we are supposed to play and what to do in the final third. We were hoping to at least have a solid defence but we are leaking goals left, right and center. Do you believe that we the players are the problem? Do you think that we are the lazy cnuts? See how we perform for our National Teams, and compare this to how it ended up for Mourinho at Real and Chelsea. See the trend? Then who is the problem then?"
All of the above is truth, however, certain things are meant to be kept inside of a house. Our players can do it, Mou can not. Moreover, players are not robots, the negativity and cuntishness of their manager effects them too.

ravi2

It's pretty amateur stuff. Woodward is clearly out of his depth. Every shite decision on and off the pitch the club is making is under him and until we remove him from the football side of things, it'll only get worse. He's the only constant in this train-wreck.
Woodward needs to not ever make a football decision for United again as much as Jose needs to go . If these two things happen the club can progress.

devilish

Exactly, imagine if one of our players gave the interview along the lines of: "Mourinho? Yes, he is a decent coach, but you know compared to other top coaches his results are clear we are mid-table. We are in our 3rd season with him, but we still have no idea how we are supposed to play and what to do in the final third. We were hoping to at least have a solid defence but we are leaking goals left, right and center. Do you believe that we the players are the problem? Do you think that we are the lazy cnuts? See how we perform for our National Teams, and compare this to how it ended up for Mourinho at Real and Chelsea. See the trend? Then who is the problem then?"
All of the above is truth, however, certain things are meant to be kept inside of a house. Our players can do it, Mou can not. Moreover, players are not robots, the negativity and cuntishness of their manager effects them too.
You should add "I don't understand this obsession about the three fingers. Sure he got kicked out by Real and Chelsea but he's still here for the time being right?"

On a serious note, the tragedy of it all is that he don't mind throwing people under the bridge while speaking about how thick skinned he is when in reality he's not. Pogba's comment about us needing to attack more is something everyone agrees upon including himself. Yet he interpreted it as criticism to him which caused a series of knee jerking reactions and friction between him and his most talented midfielder, the man he had previously spent 90m+ upon.

Balerion

Pogba said that we should attack, something echoed by former players and even Mourinho at times. I don't see the problem of it rather then the usual Mourinho causing friction were there is none. He makes Pogba look undisciplined when its really not the case. The man worked with Conte who I assure you is a control freak both when he was a player and especially now that he's a manager. No manager had ever complained about Pogba apart from Mourinho.

Also its not as if the club didn't financially backed Mourinho. They gave him 400m for god sake. Maybe he should had invested it wisely instead on spending it on donkeys like Lukaku and Matic.

I think its more a case of Mourinho trying to deflect attention on himself by throwing players under the bridge. He did it before with Martial and Shaw. Its amazing because Matic had been performing far worse then Pogba and yet he keep playing every game and no bad word is said about him. Such attitude is only set to create friction in the team.
Those former players were also singing praises for Matic last season, calling it a masterstroke by Mourinho and making fun of Conte for letting him go to his rivals... Same with Lukaku last season.
Didn't they also rip into Pogba after his Southampton performance? Come to think of it, aren't these former players criticizing Pogba's performances quite often?

Lentwood

You’ve taken a really good, well-thought out and articulate post and replied with a load of lazy rubbish

This “**** of the manager” and “**** of Sir Alex” has to stop. SAF made loads of mistakes and spent loads of money on crap players. In his 4th season in charge, he finished 13th. He was lucky that he inherited the Class of 92 lads and he was lucky that Utd could outspend all of our competitors for a big chunk of his tenure.

That all being said, he was still the greatest club manager in football history. What’s my point? You have to look beyond the bare results. I guarantee you would have been part of the “Ferguson Out” brigade in ‘88 and had our Board at the time listened to those fans we would probably never have dominated English football for 20yrs

devilish

Those former players were also singing praises for Matic last season, calling it a masterstroke by Mourinho and making fun of Conte for letting him go to his rivals... Same with Lukaku last season.
Didn't they also rip into Pogba after his Southampton performance? Come to think of it, aren't these former players criticizing Pogba's performances quite often?
I never said they are geniuses although i do wonder if they are that stupid to take united to 8th place after spending 400m. Only someone truly special can do that

matt10000

Appreciate your input but
I love these “catch all” posts that manage to roll every possible excuse for Mourinho into one neat package, with a healthy heaping of dragging Sir Alex time with us through the mud to try and twist it in some way to justify Mourinho being here. Keep up the good work mate.
Thanks you Cloud7 for your appreciation of my good work I will try to keep it up.

However, if you want to avoid coming across as someone with a less than average intelligence, I would recommend spending time to read and understand posts before making sweeping generalisations about them.

At no point have I dragged SAF time with us through the mud, in fact I said that he is the greatest manager of all time. What I did do is point out the fact that SAF was given time, money to invest and allowed to make the odd mistake or two in the transfer market in order to rebuild the squad and even with the backing it wasn't until his fourth season that we looked like a title challenging side.

That is fact NOT dragging SAF through the mud and is NOT twisting SAF time with us to justify Mourinho being here.

Feel free to point out the facts that have been twisted if you feel my comments are unjustified!

Siorac

You’ve taken a really good, well-thought out and articulate post and replied with a load of lazy rubbish

This “**** of the manager” and “**** of Sir Alex” has to stop. SAF made loads of mistakes and spent loads of money on crap players. In his 4th season in charge, he finished 13th. He was lucky that he inherited the Class of 92 lads and he was lucky that Utd could outspend all of our competitors for a big chunk of his tenure.

That all being said, he was still the greatest club manager in football history. What’s my point? You have to look beyond the bare results. I guarantee you would have been part of the “Ferguson Out” brigade in ‘88 and had our Board at the time listened to those fans we would probably never have dominated English football for 20yrs
And your point is...?

Should we give six years to every manager in the hope that they might turn out to be Sir Alex Ferguson?

Fosu-Mens

Most of the posters seems to agree on the following points:
1. Mourinho will get the sack when top 4 is out of the picture.
2. Not one single entity is solely to blame for the predicament we are in.
3. We should appoint a DoF asap(people disagree regarding the amount of authority given to the DoF and the manager.)

What we are currently are disagreeing on:
  • The amount of blame the players, the board, Woodward, the current and previous managers should take.
  • The actual quality of the players in the squad.

Cloud7

However, if you want to avoid coming across as someone with a less than average intelligence, I would recommend spending time to read and understand posts before making sweeping generalisations about them.
Cheers for the advice. Will try to take it on board so that I come off better in the future and don’t offend you :lol:

The whole gist of your post is implying that the only reason Sir Alex was that good is because he as given time and money, ignoring the fact that he was given time because he was rebuilding the club from top to bottom, and those in charge could see the progress he was making, despite there being hiccups along the way. Progress isn’t as simple as just league position, no matter how much people try to cling to that on here.

Case in point last season. Sure second place was the highest finish we had since SAF, but what was it being built on? So many games were won because we happened to be extremely efficient, something that isn’t sustainable. There were no improvements in style of play, the team wasn’t looking better as a unit, there wasn’t much to look at and say that “this is progress. This team is going to be even better next season” besides the second place finish, which was precisely the only thing that Pro Mourinho people pointed out when this point was raised.

Sir Alex brought raised a sleeping giant with a drinking culture that didn’t win a league in 26 years. He didn’t take over one of the richest clubs in the world and then proceed to spend more than almost every club in the world, then moan and complain that he can’t do better because he needs more money spent. That you would try to imply that all ang manager, Mourinho or otherwise, needs is time and backing and they would emulate the great man is dragging his name through the mud.

matt10000

Cheers for the advice. Will try to take it on board so that I come off better in the future and don’t offend you

Unfortunately for you, you didn’t try hard enough.

The whole gist of your post is implying that the only reason Sir Alex was that good is because he as given time and money, ignoring the fact that he was given time because he was rebuilding the club from top to bottom, and those in charge could see the progress he was making, despite there being hiccups along the way.
At no point did I imply that the ONLY reason Sir Alex was that good was because he was given time and money. I actually implied that despite the fact that he was a genius, the best manager in history and had just had amazing success with Aberdeen, he was given time, money to invest and allowed to make the odd mistake or two in the transfer market in order to rebuild the squad.

Sir Alex brought raised a sleeping giant with a drinking culture that didn’t win a league in 26 years. He didn’t take over one of the richest clubs in the world and then proceed to spend more than almost every club in the world.
I haven’t got the statistics but I think we were pretty competitive in the transfer market and spent more than most if not all our rivals in SAF first three seasons

That you would try to imply that all any manager, Mourinho or otherwise, needs is time and backing and they would emulate the great man is dragging his name through the mud.
I didn’t say that all any manager Mourinho or otherwise, needs is time and backing to emulate the great man. I said that there are only four or five managers in the world that are good enough to manage us and we have one of them and should give him time to rebuild properly.

I still fail to see how this is dragging SAF through the mud.

EwanI Ted

I was around back then and didnt want Fergie out, so not sure what you're getting at. And I can't really agree with much of what you say. United didnt have loads of cash back then, as is well documented of the era. Indeed he was running a profit on transfers up til the 98-99 season. He didnt inherit the class of 92 and get lucky, we'd won the title twice by the time they arrived in the first team, and they only arrived at all because he completely revamped the youth academy in the late 80s. As for his (senior) purchases, in his first 3 seasons he bought

Brian McClair
Steve Bruce
Jim Leighton
Mal Donoghy
Lee Sharpe
Ralph Miline
Mark Huges
Gary Pallister
Neil Webb
Paul Ince
Danny Wallace
Mike Phelan

By my reckoning that's 1 famous failure, 2 journeymen, 3 good players and 6 fantastic buys that would eventually take us to the title. I'd kill for that hit rate now. Fergie made plenty of mistakes but the foundational work he was doing back then was apparent even at the time, and that was what kept him in the job til he won the Cup in 90.

You say we should look beyond the results, I totally agree. I see no such rebuilding work happening at United under Jose, and that's precisely why I think he's done. On the pitch there's no signs of long term development. We have no discernable style of play, no signs of us taking on any of the modern styles of football that are proving so effective. The squad is a bit of a mishmash at the mo and he's continually struggled to motivate them. And his only solution seems to be offering more of the same. Off the pitch is nothing to do with Mourinho and he shows no interest in doing it anyway, so nothing there can be said to support his continued stay.

I mean, if you can point to anything that suggests that Mourinho has a long term plan in place and he's inching towards it for the overall betterment of the club, however slowly, then let me know. Because right now I dont see anything of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.