Film The Movies I want to see thread

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair, that's no different to Die Hard. In a movie set exclusively in a skysraper, chances are the imagery associated with that movie will feature pictures of a skyscraper.

Neither of the two batman movies referred to above are set in a skyscraper, which makes it all the more likely that the images used to market them have been influenced by something unrelated to the content of the movies themselves (i.e. 9/11)

decorativeed

I don't remember any skyscrapers exploding in this film either:

Also, buildings were bombed and/or set or fire on many occasions previous to 9/11, why not get annoyed with them for referencing the Oklahoma bombing or the London Blitz?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Neither of the two batman movies referred to above are set in a skyscraper, which makes it all the more likely that the images used to market them have been influenced by something unrelated to the content of the movies themselves (i.e. 9/11)
The set piece IMAX Singapore scene takes place in a skyscraper..That he flies into, and then blows up....and last part of the film, when he fights the joker, takes place in a skyscraper....The film starts with two people blowing the window out of a sky scraper.

As for the other one (one of the "two batman movies")...well it hasn't come out yet, so we've no idea how many skyscrapers are in it. It might well feature nothing but toppling skyscrapers for 150 minutes. Which would at least still make it better than Transformers 3.

Pogue Mahone

I don't remember any skyscrapers exploding in this film either:

Also, buildings were bombed and/or set or fire on many occasions previous to 9/11, why not get annoyed with them for referencing the Oklahoma bombing or the London Blitz?
Eh? Are you that saying any movie poster featuring an image of the New York skyline is using the same sort of imagery as the two posters I posted above? Come on.

I'm aware buildings have been bombed before. It quite possible this influenced movies in the aftermath (although though I would struggle to come up with any other single event that had as powerful an impact on the American psyche as 9/11 did, other than wars). If I had noticed the influences of the Oklahoma bombing on movies at the time I would have probably commented on it.

Not sure what any of that has to do with my observation about these posters, specifically?

Pogue Mahone

The set piece IMAX Singapore scene takes place in a skyscraper..That he flies into, and then blows up....and last part of the film, when he fights the joker, takes place in a skyscraper....The film starts with two people blowing the window out of a sky scraper.

As for the other one (one of the "two batman movies")...well it hasn't come out yet, so we've no idea how many skyscrapers are in it. It might well feature nothing but toppling skyscrapers for 150 minutes. Which would at least still make it better than Transformers 3.
Fair enough. Tell me, though, do you or don't you think the image on that movie poster could only have been created by someone with 9/11 in mind? (consciously or unconsciously)

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I thought the falling building in the Batman posters is to signify that Gotham is crumbling. With Batman going on the 'run' at the end of The Dark Knight then thats a strong possibility without its Dark Knight to clean the crime in the city.

I personally, never even made the connection to 9/11.

Although the films stories do have strong terrorism themes.

Mockney

Fair enough. Tell me, though, do you or don't you think the image on that movie poster could only have been created by someone with 9/11 in mind? (consciously or unconsciously)
I agree with you that there's more building crumbling/city devastation imagery now post 9/11...I wouldn't have specifically made the leap with that poster though. Though yeah (despite pointing out there were bits of skyscrapers in the 2nd one) I agree it's a little odd that the last two batman films have featured damaged skyscrapers on their primary artwork, when all other Batman films had managed to avoid it. So I'd probably agree.

Pogue Mahone

I thought the falling building in the Batman posters is to signify that Gotham is crumbling. With Batman going on the 'run' at the end of The Dark Knight then thats a strong possibility without its Dark Knight to clean the crime in the city.

I never even made the connect to 9/11.

Although the films stories do have strong terrorism themes.
Yeah, thematically, 9/11 (and the subsequent fall-out) has been hugely influential on Hollywood IMO.

They were in need of some new bad guys anyway. Once the cold war fizzled out, there were only so many south american drug barons the hero could blow away before it all got a bit samey.

decorativeed

Eh? Are you that saying any movie poster featuring an image of the New York skyline is using the same sort of imagery as the two posters I posted above? Come on.
Are you missing the fire and explosions superimposed onto those New York skyscrapers in that poster somehow? It's a poster for a film featuring one of New York's most iconic bulidings exploding (despite no such thing happening in the actual film). Surely that is more reminiscent of the events of 9/11 than a somewhat squat looking anonymous buliding in a fictitious city with a stylised Batman logo in a film that features several buildings exploding:

Of course the events of 9/11 are part of the collective subconsious now, so it's impossible to say whether or not it influenced the poster design, but the fact buildings had been bombed, exploded or indeed crashed into before 9/11, posters for films predating it featured similar designs and ideas and the film features several such scenes means you are probably making too much of it.

Pogue Mahone

Are you missing the fire and explosions superimposed onto those New York skyscrapers in that poster somehow? It's a poster for a film featuring one of New York's most iconic bulidings exploding (despite no such thing happening in the actual film). Surely that is more reminiscent of the events of 9/11 than a somewhat squat looking anonymous buliding in a fictitious city with a stylised Batman logo in a film that features several buildings exploding:

Of course the events of 9/11 are part of the collective subconsious now, so it's impossible to say whether or not it influenced the poster design, but the fact buildings had been bombed, exploded or indeed crashed into before 9/11, posters for films predating it featured similar designs and ideas and the film features several such scenes means you are probably making too much of it.
The fire and explosions in that poster seem to be either right behind Bruce Willis or in the middle distance, with the buildings on the horizon beyond. Certainly doesn't seem anything like as reminiscent of 9/11 as the flaming aeroplane(ish) shaped hole in the building in the Batman poster.

decorativeed

Aeroplane-shaped holes?! It's a Batman logo. I'd love to see your Rorschach test results.

"Aeroplane"

"9/11"

"Osama"

Mockney

1. A squatting human baby crab monster
2. A body building clown giving birth to a Hippo
3. A four armed boxing Kangaroo bleeding out of his armpits.

Pogue Mahone

-ish

I'm aware it's the Batman logo. Which bears a distinct resemblance to aeroplanes, what with them both being flying winged things and all.

I'm getting a kangaroo for 3) too. 1) is an extreme close-up of a spider's face. In negative. 2) is a bit of a mystery but definitely 60s influenced.

Mockney

Well, seems I was wrong about footage...There is some...Is that Gary in the bed? ...And what on earth is the little clip before the very end...Catwoman glimpse perhaps?

hungrywing

They actually reveal a bit of plot in that Batman trailer:
Gordon knows Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Sounds like a scene where Oldman is trying to persuade Bruce Wayne, who is trying to save Gotham in his normal persona like his father did, that it's not going to be enough.

Which also probably means they'll continue at least for a bit with the theme of "If being a hero means you create villains/people-of-lesser-ability-who-try-to-emulate-you-but-end-up-making-things-worse, then what is the hero to do?" In the conclusion of DK, BW decided that the hero throws away his own ego, his own belief that he is a hero/makes a difference. What follows is usually a textbook case of stripping the hero naked. Put his support structure in the hospital, take away his image (and thus his tools/advantages), reduce everything about him to its bare core.

Usually while ratcheting up the odds on at least three fronts - put Wayne in financial trouble, install a super-corrupt police force, and have a villain that is a physical match for the Batman identity.

Also, it's Bane at the end.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Inception had those crumbling buildings at the beach and the city getting rolled up.

It's pretty clear to me that Nolan hates buildings.

Zen

Marty's first family film, looks like it could be a good one. Great cast as expected.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
prequel/prelude something to the original.

gaz1185

A official version of the Dark Knight Rises trailer can now be seen here on the facebook page. Not able to embed, well I don't think :)

Also get a clearer view of Bane at the end - & a shit scared Batman to boot :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Aeroplane-shaped holes?! It's a Batman logo. I'd love to see your Rorschach test results.

"Aeroplane"

"9/11"

"Osama"
My first thought on seeing number two was Gary Nevilles place that he's having built.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
A official version of the Dark Knight Rises trailer can now be seen here on the facebook page. Not able to embed, well I don't think :)

Also get a clearer view of Bane at the end - & a shit scared Batman to boot :lol:
aaaaaaaaaaaw yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Minkaro

Just got back from Harry Potter, and from the trailers before the movie, I want to see Cowboys and Aliens, Sherlock Holmes 2, Dark Knight Rises and...

Zookeeper.

Stop judging me :(