The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Will never rate him as any better than a crazy talent who didn’t live up to it. Nowhere near the big two and Mbappe, Haaland and hopefully one or two of our lads will overtake him as well.
Neymar is still a way better football player than Mbappé. His playmaking abilities are totally underrated, he's an amazing passer from both feet and only Messi or KDB can be compared to him in this field atm. He just needs to stay fit.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Neymar is still a way better football player than Mbappé. His playmaking abilities are totally underrated, he's an amazing passer from both feet and only Messi or KDB can be compared to him in this field atm. He just needs to stay fit.
Yes, people allow the antipathy to cloud their judgement. Neymar is heads and shoulders above Mbappe and currently second only to Messi.

Still, the move to you guys wasn't clever. I understood the motivation behind it but it harmed his career in the end, unfortunately.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yes, people allow the antipathy to cloud their judgement. Neymar is heads and shoulders above Mbappe and currently second only to Messi.

Still, the move to you guys wasn't clever. I understood the motivation behind it but it harmed his career in the end, unfortunately.
Depends on the perspective. It could have been pretty big if he managed to carry PSG to their 1st CL title but I agree that in terms of international prestige, Ligue 1 is clearly behind PL, liga, BL or Serie A (even if serie A is overrated imo). That's the problem with PSG, if we screw up in CL, the rest is pretty meaningless for most people, no matter how well Neymar plays (and when he's fit he's probably the best player i've ever seen wearing our jersey, even better than Ronaldinho).

His main issue was the injuries that kept him out of the pitch for the past 2 years, because it was his only chance to really shine at an international level.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Depends on the perspective. It could have been pretty big if he managed to carry PSG to their 1st CL title but I agree that in terms of international prestige, Ligue 1 is clearly behind PL, liga, BL or Serie A (even if serie A is overrated imo). That's the problem with PSG, if we screw up in CL, the rest is pretty meaningless for most people, no matter how well Neymar plays (and when he's fit he's probably the best player i've ever seen wearing our jersey, even better than Ronaldinho).

His main issue was the injuries that kept him out of the pitch for the past 2 years, because it was his only chance to really shine at an international level.
I get what you mean and injuries are definitely to blame but I think this has to do with him getting derailed after joining you. He was much more professional for Barcelona and I believe that his lifestyle becoming more extravagant had much to do with all the fuss surrounding his move. I don't think he would've had so many injuries and gotten so unprofessional if he had remained at Barcelona or switched clubs under different circumstances.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I get what you mean and injuries are definitely to blame but I think this has to do with him getting derailed after joining you. He was much more professional for Barcelona and I believe that his lifestyle becoming more extravagant had much to do with all the fuss surrounding his move. I don't think he would've had so many injuries and gotten so unprofessional if he had remained at Barcelona or switched clubs under different circumstances.
Hard to say, he always did some weird stuffs even at Barcelona like taking a yellow card on purpose so he doesn't have to play the next game and so he can go to brazil for his sister's birthday. But sure, the nightlife in Paris didn't help. He didn't have a lot of different injuries though, mostly it was the foot bone he broke 2 years ago that never healed properly because he rushed his recovery to play the world cup. Lets hope he stays fit now, he's such a beautiful player to watch.

Eddy_JukeZ

One of the weirdest performances you'll see.

He was sensational until he had to put the ball in the back of the net.

Did redeem himself by playing the key pass that led to the 2nd goal.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Closest player to Messi and Ronaldo in the past decade.

Forget about De Bruyne or Lewandowski, he's clear of both.

wr8_utd

:'(
The disrespect he receives is something else. People need to watch him more often because he's still a Top 3 player in the world. He showed PSG what they've missed in the last few years when he's been injured/suspended/attending his sister's birthday.

Eddy_JukeZ

The disrespect he receives is something else. People need to watch him more often because he's still a Top 3 player in the world. He showed PSG what they've missed in the last few years when he's been injured/suspended/attending his sister's birthday.
I have him 2nd personally behind Messi.

It's clear he's the central hub of that PSG team much like Messi for Barcelona.

If his finishing wasn't so poor this game, he could have had a hat-trick and an all time great performance would be recognized.

VanKenny

Incredible performance. Any team in the world would absolutely love to have him

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
People are so distorted in their view of him, he's a cnut to most people so they discredit his game, but he's absolutely a top 3 player in the world when he's fit, and this was a Neymar without a second half league games to get him going.

Welbeckham

If he just scored one or two of those many great chances, that was a prime Ronaldinhoesque performance. People obviously hate him and PSG, but his ability to create something from literally nothing is second to none. Such an outrageously talented, exciting and entertaining player on his day.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a fantastic player, but the PSG move means that most of what he is doing isn’t being seen.

Womp

idiot
He's too fecking good. Was an off night in regards to shooting, but was still the difference for both goals. His ability to dribble in tight spaces is unbelievable too

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wasting away in a non-competitive league who will only ever get noticed in the knockout stages of the CL. He'd probably be 2nd to Messi in the world if he was in a more competitive/interestijg league, but as it is, nobody will care about him.

Saying that, they're in a good position to win the CL. Everyone else played games in a hectic schedule the past 2 months. They've had 5 months to prepare for these last 3 games, and are on the easier side of the draw.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Despite the Mbappe hype, people who watch PSG regularly know that Neymar is by far their best player.
He is, but not by far. Mbappe is excellent and not far behind already at 21.

RyRoc

One thing I absolutely love about Neymar is he never ever hides in these games. He’s actually underperformed a few times but no one could accuse him of hiding.