The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Eddy_JukeZ

I only saw the YouTube BT sports highlights (6 mins) and those 2 misses look very bad. Am assuming he was magnificent for the remainder of the game?
He was a 1 man team for most of the game in terms of creating chances and looking dangerous.

Had the most touches from any player on the field and tied a UCL record for most successful dribbles in a game with 16.

His finishing was definitely awful. If he bagged those 2 chances, it would have been an all time great performance in the UCL.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He was a 1 man team for most of the game in terms of creating chances and looking dangerous.

Had the most touches from any player on the field and tied a UCL record for most successful dribbles in a game with 16.

His finishing was definitely awful. If he bagged those 2 chances, it would have been an all time great performance in the UCL.
I thought he broke the record for dribbles? Thought the record was 11 until today when he had 16? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought he broke the record for dribbles? Thought the record was 11 until today when he had 16? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
According to whoscored he did, but apparently they don't have data going back to the 2007-2008 season.

RashyForPM

That's the problem with him.
He loves to show off, against low sides, when he's winning.
He's like a kid who thinks he's just better than everyone.

Oh look, we scored against Costa Rica in the dying minutes, gonna pull out the rainbow flicks... Look at me
Same with Athletic Bilbao

Utter bellend
Not wrong though is he? I’ve not seen him rainbow flick anyone on par or better than him, so doesn’t that make him right? He is better than the people he embarasses.

Alexit

It was incredible to watch. Thoroughly enjoyed that display, pity he didn't finish the chances though! He carried them for most of the game as you said re: creating/attacking.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mbappe’s absence looked pretty problematic tonight. Game was won after he came on, no?
Doesn’t mean he’s better than Neymar. I’m amazed when people think Mbappe is better. Neymar is the clear better player

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
When he actually decides to play he's unplayable. Outside of his finishing it was an amazing performance by him.

RooneyLegend

Not 'thinks' though, is it? It's more 'knows', but the funny thing is, if Ronaldinho did the same things you're describing, and he did, frequently, it's a joy and joga bonito and a blessing for football. Neymar does it, and he's <insert expletive>

It does frame the obstacles he faces for being what he is quite seamlessly.

Never known a player so talented to be so despised.
In fairness he's a serial diver which Dinho never was. Dinho also never complained on the pitch when being kicked to pieces by mere mortals. He'd often smile with the perpetrators as though he felt sorry for them. Personally don't care about any of this but I can see why it would irk some people.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The play acting part is exaggerated, in Spain and Brazil he was routinely clattered because it's the easiest way to stop him and it took him a while to understand that he needs to go down otherwise referees seem to not care about fouls. There are games where he anticipates too much but people need to realize that the alternative is that he gets assaulted.
Yep, which is why I have no problem with it.

I think those so-called "antics" cloud a lot of people's judgement on him as a player. He's amazing. One of the best I've seen in my lifetime.

Renegade

I feel like people on here have always rated him as one of the best. People just simply don’t like his personality, play acting and his decision to move to Paris.

Pagh Wraith

I feel like people on here have always rated him as one of the best. People just simply don’t like his personality, play acting and his decision to move to Paris.
The decision to move to Paris was incredibly stupid to be fair. At least in terms of wanting to be remembered as one of the sport's greats. At least Mbappe still has many years ahead of him but Neymar has now wasted a good chunk of his prime years in a second-tier league.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He’s one of those players that it is easy to forget how good he is (maybe because the league he is in?), but then you turn the tv on and watch him and you’re like woah he’s some player, and you even forgive the diving side when everyone just kicks him to the floor all the time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In fairness he's a serial diver which Dinho never was. Dinho also never complained on the pitch when being kicked to pieces by mere mortals. He'd often smile with the perpetrators as though he felt sorry for them. Personally don't care about any of this but I can see why it would irk some people.
Ronaldinho was made of granite when he actually trained and took football seriously. Easily one of the hardest creative players to dispossess because of his power, ability to centre his gravity and the fact he would use his athleticism as a springboard on those who got too tight, often using that touch-contact to roll his man and humiliate him in the same motion.

Opposition soon learned that getting touch-tight with Ronaldinho was a bad idea and stopped doing so pretty swiftly, so Ronaldinho really didn't have a hard time of it in terms of physicality and hacks relative to someone like Neymar who is so lightweight and frail, it's become a universal tactic to try and send him to the moon.

It's worked, too, as he's missed lots of key games at the most crucial points of tournaments because of it (not least the World Cup where he had his back broke!) so there is always incentive to nail him as the 'reward' has a high probability of happening.

Neymar's the frailest of all the skill players active by a huge margin - would be interesting reading to see how far out in front he is for injuries caused by other players as opposed to his own body breaking down.

I get that people don't like him, but objectively, the bias is clear and apparent. Neymar is one from a long, long line of skill/flair players who take great delight in displaying their brilliance at any opportunity they get, but for one so devastating and effective, and thus not a show pony, the criticism he gets is pretty absurd.

People should just say they don't like him, which is better than making up nonsense about the pitch and in-game actions.

MrEleson

Doesn’t mean he’s better than Neymar. I’m amazed when people think Mbappe is better. Neymar is the clear better player
Exactly. Neymar can do things with the ball than Mbappe simply isn't capable of.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There are some players who hit incredible form in recent years. Lewandowski, de Bruyne, Mane, Salah, etc. It's hard to decide who's the best of the bunch. But watching Neymar play you just realize he's a tier above those guys. Capable of things very few players can do. No matter where he gets on the ball, he can make something happen - if necessary completely on his own. It's like he and Messi are playing their own sport right now (with the Argentinian still being better at it), occasionally being joined by Hazard and maybe, maybe Mbappe. Sancho has shown glimpses of quality that suggest he'll eventually get to a similar level, too. Jury's still out on many of the current youngsters but honestly, I currently don't see anyone with the calibre of talent Neymar possesses.

Shame that he doesn't get the attention he'd deserve after signing for PSG.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Feel something is being underplayed in this thread: it's not the move to PSG that has damaged him, per se, rather their lack of performing at the highest levels of the CL. If Neymar does win the CL with them, his status will be raised tremendously in a historical regard. He'll be one of very few who had the 'balls' to move to a smaller league and drag a team to the top of the footballing pile - the narrative will do a 180 from it is now, where him being in the so-called farmer's league has destroyed his legacy, to an even that will indelibly elevate it and make him a god for PSG and also a legend who did the unprecedented in his era.

It's a double-edged sword. I think people have lost sight of that and are only focusing on the negative with the assumption PSG will never win the CL whilst he's there and thus the entire episode was pointless and infinitely damaging to the player.

Neymar leaving them as a conquering hero and thus proving he can do 'it' as the figurehead is the stuff history will chisel and polish.

This one-shot format gives them the best chance they're going to get whilst he's there, and if he performs like he did yesterday on the way to lifting the trophy it'll be seen as a very special achievement indeed. Legacy defining, even.

James Peril

This forum has a weird obsession of hating him. He's ridiculously talented and right now he's the best player in the world.
On ability he has been close to the top for many, many years - truly a fantastic footballer. Very few players can rule a game in the CL like him, we’ve seen it many times in the past. A pity he isn’t playing in a top league, all fans have missed so much action since he joined PSG. Seeing him dominating Amiens, Lorient and Caen on half steam just isn’t the same..

I remember the Glaston-fella on here ridiculing Neymar and saying Kane was far, far ahead, siting some stats and what not. People tried to sell him some obvious arguments but it of course didn’t work at all, not interested. I kind of miss his delusion, but we’ll only see him after Spurs sack Mourinho and hire a new person... which might be January 2021 or something close.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This forum has a weird obsession of hating him. He's ridiculously talented and right now he's the best player in the world.
He is a very talented player but Messi is still miles ahead of him and remains the best player in the world by a distance.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Neymar is only behind Messi in terms of attacking ability and if I were to take either one of them it would be Neymar. He's the best dribbler in one vs ones situations at the moment. Last night his finishing was lacklustre probably because of the long lay off he's had from football. He would be the perfect player for Manchester City.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Neymar is only behind Messi in terms of attacking ability and if I were to take either one of them it would be Neymar. He's the best dribbler in one vs ones situations at the moment. Last night his finishing was lacklustre probably because of the long lay off he's had from football. He would be the perfect player for Manchester City.
His finishing has always been off, his creativity is absurd and the way he can dribble through players plus his speed are up there with the best players in history. If he could finish his chances like Leo, he probably would be considered his equal.

MrEleson

Honestly, in terms of play outside the box, he is and always has been far superior to Cristiano. Take tonights game, Neymar does pretty much everything in a fantastic performance that, Cristiano, in his entire career has never really produced. But, if Cristano was playing tonight he would have been scoring the 2 goals exactly how they were scored and run away with all the credit. He has been doing this for most of his career and by playing for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world plus ALOT of marketin/PR means that he is super popular which inturn means exaggeration of how good he is.

So, i would say closest to Messi in the last decade but far superior to Cristiano interms of allround play but inferior to both interms of goalscoring. I'd also say the most talented since Messi.
The same Ronaldo that completed the most dribbles ever in a single UCL game back in 2006?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
His finishing has always been off, his creativity is absurd and the way he can dribble through players plus his speed are up there with the best players in history. If he could finish his chances like Leo, he probably would be considered his equal.
I agree that it has not been great, but it was never this poor. Lionel Messi is probably the best finisher of this era so it is no slight on Neymar.

I agree with that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s an unbelievable player really and doesn’t get the credit he deserves but I do hate the diving. I will never understand the annoyance with showboating though. I loved it when Ronaldo did it against Arsenal and I love when Neymar has the audacity to do a rainbow flick over his opponent. That’s not disrespectful, that’s just outrageous ability which only the very best can perform. If he did it against Utd I’d be annoyed but at the end of the day he’s done nothing wrong.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah, if I were City, he'd be my transfer target this summer. Neymar in a Pep system would be lethal. That being said, it would mean that de Bruyne had to adapt his playing style. Currently he plays the Messi role a little bit. Has much freedom, tries constantly to create something and loses many balls in the process. Neymar would do the same and I believe the system can only endure one player of this kind. De Bruyne had to cut away lots of his risk taking.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Exactly. Neymar can do things with the ball than Mbappe simply isn't capable of.
Neymar can do things with the ball prime Cristiano wasn't capable of. Doesn't make him the better player

He's still better than Mbappé, but it's a hell of a lot closer than people here are saying

MrEleson

Neymar can do things with the ball prime Cristiano wasn't capable of. Doesn't make him the better player

He's still better than Mbappé, but it's a hell of a lot closer than people here are saying
And similarly, prime Cristiano can do things that Neymar isn’t capable of.

I can’t see what Mbappe can do that Neymar can’t.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Neymar wins a world Cup with Brazil would this put him up there with Messi and Ronaldo?
If he dominates the world cup, probably?
And similarly, prime Cristiano can do things that Neymar isn’t capable of.

I can’t see what Mbappe can do that Neymar can’t.
Such as...? Being great in the air? Mbappé is also better than Neymar at it. Moving off the ball? Ditto. What else? Scoring in general? Which Mbappé is also already better at than Neymar

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Disagree. For a player of his quality Mbappe still has too many technical flaws and I don't think he'll get that sorted out, to be honest. Technical ability is usually something that doesn't improve much throughout the career of a player. Messi, Cristiano and Neymar were all better technicians than Mbappe is at the same age already. When PSG went out against United last season, that was painfully obvious. That's why I think that Mbappe will never contribute as much as Neymar does while their output is very much on par. Even if Mbappe surpassed Neymar in terms of end product, I'd take the Neymar package over the Mbappe one. Don't think he'll ever be as good as Neymar is currently.

What Cristiano has going for him that neither Mbappe nor Neymar achieved so far is his insane consistency. He maintained his level for almost a decade while Neymar - although I think his ceiling is higher - can't even maintain it throughout one season. Mainly because of injuries but still.

romufc

If Neymar wins a world Cup with Brazil would this put him up there with Messi and Ronaldo?
Nope.

Neymar is extremely talented and things happen when he is on the ball.

If he stayed at Barca and continued his form, he would be in the Messi and Ronaldo category.

However; he went to Paris and took the easy decision. Messi, Ronaldo have taken their respective teams to finals and won finals for their teams.

I feel that he has been lost in France, he should have stayed in Spain.

sokol11

Best player in the world?! Not even close. Very good dribbler yes but lacking vision and intelligence of when to release the ball. Yesterday half of the time he got hacked was because he didn't release the ball at the right time. In the end it nearly cost them. Instead of passing to Marquinhos (when he scored) he went for a shot and luckily for Paris his missed shot went to Marquinhos for tap in. Also easily one of most dis-likeable active footballers. Come to think of it PSG team is full of those (Neymar, DiMaria, Veratti, Marquinhos...). Even the coach is unbearable.

RooneyLegend

If he dominates the world cup, probably?

Such as...? Being great in the air? Mbappé is also better than Neymar at it. Moving off the ball? Ditto. What else? Scoring in general? Which Mbappé is also already better at than Neymar
Ball striking and heading is where Ronaldo has Neymar beat. They are different players so I don't get this whole 'can do things he cant' debate.

Jibbs

The cringe fest of Neymar fanvoys here is unbelievable. If it were up to them they'd have already handed over Ballon D'or to him.

RooneyLegend

Best player in the world?! Not even close. Very good dribbler yes but lacking vision and intelligence of when to release the ball. Yesterday half of the time he got hacked was because he didn't release the ball at the right time. In the end it nearly cost them. Instead of passing to Marquinhos (when he scored) he went for a shot and luckily for Paris his missed shot went to Marquinhos for tap in. Also easily one of most dis-likeable active footballers. Come to think of it PSG team is full of those (Neymar, DiMaria, Veratti, Marquinhos...). Even the coach is unbearable.
Release the ball to who? Icardi and Sarabia were lost on the pitch plus he played a number of great passes. There was a defender between him and Marquinhos ffs.