The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And that’s acceptable, missing ‘minor’ games? Hilarious if you think so.

As I said, I’m not Woodward & Bernstein-ing this, I’m calling it as a football fan who sees some commonality to his actions over many years.
Come on, you just assumed the gossip was correct without further checking and now you're just unwilling to admit you were wrong. You now very well that most likely the suspensions at Barca were coincidental, too. And he wouldn't even need to do that, Barca and PSG could just give him a day or two off training and it wouldn't even have been a story as long as he was there for the next match.

I mean it's completely obvious that he wasn't faking tge injuries at PSG and you can't even admit that.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I think he'll end up a bit like Robben : Injured half the season but looking class and good stats whenever on the pitch

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Come on, you just assumed the gossip was correct without further checking and now you're just unwilling to admit you were wrong. You now very well that most likely the suspensions at Barca were coincidental, too. And he wouldn't even need to do that, Barca and PSG could just give him a day or two off training and it wouldn't even have been a story as long as he was there for the next match.

I mean it's completely obvious that he wasn't faking tge injuries at PSG and you can't even admit that.
Neymar missed 20 days due to injury twice since September already. He is simply a fragile guy, who plays a provocative style of football in a league filled with butchers

Cloud7

The dislike a lot of United fans have for Neymar is really strange. He’s one of the truly entertaining footballers left in the world.

Luke1995

Do players need to win individual awards or the World Cup to be considered as having a very good career ?

Neymar is probably the best brazilian player since prime Kaká.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Amazing, amazing player when he feels like it. Should have scored at least once tonight though.

A-man

Players will be remembered for the impact, not hitting the post. Heard he didn’t score in his last 5 CL playoffs.

Wayne's World

When he's at his best, my word what a footballer. A joy to watch

Yes he's a cnut but he's such a talented cnut that you have to appreciate his footballing ability

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Players will be remembered for the impact, not hitting the post. Heard he didn’t score in his last 5 CL playoffs.
Whenever he has been on the pitch, PSG has made at least the semi finals (and first ever final). the other times he was injured and they wer KO'd early

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Amazing, amazing player when he feels like it. Should have scored at least once tonight though.

That's top class!
When he's at his best, my word what a footballer. A joy to watch

Yes he's a cnut but he's such a talented cnut that you have to appreciate his footballing ability

I just came in here to say the same thing but you said it better.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There can be alot said about Neymar but one thing that has been continually evident in the past few years is that he's a dying breed of footballer who goes out there to not only win but fundamentally entertain.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Would any of you guys take him at Utd for big money?
He would transform any team he’s played for, and ultimately has transformed every team he’s played for. It’s a no brainer to get him. Even more so for a team like ours that desperately lacks players who can beat a man.

AgentSmith

Well the money that it would take to buy him could be better spent on other players who would suit the team a lot more but it would be ridiculously cool to see Neymar in the no.7 shirt here.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think there are massive questions about his behavior and discipline and what that would bring to the team.

I don’t think he is the sort of figure you want in the dressing room. He should have done more in his career and he has only himself to blame.

Absolutely magical when he is fully focused.

A-man

Whenever he has been on the pitch, PSG has made at least the semi finals (and first ever final). the other times he was injured and they wer KO'd early
He’s a great player, but this thread was about the successor of Ronaldo and Messi, and it was with that perspective I wrote what I wrote. He has not had that impact on his team.

tomaldinho1

Tonight just shows the fine lines in football - he is a pure joy to watch on the ball but, without exaggeration, he could have easily had a hattrick tonight and we'd be saying he's the man.

MalcolmTucker

You can have an impact without scoring a goal. He was probably the best player over the two legs and set up all 3 goals in the first. Shame people will actually choose to ignore what their eyes see in favour for some statistics these days.

Ali Dia

Tonight just shows the fine lines in football - he is a pure joy to watch on the ball but, without exaggeration, he could have easily had a hattrick tonight and we'd be saying he's the man.
I have to say he’s usually their best player in most CL games they play. He just never managed to hit the freakish levels of Messi or Ronny but there’s no shame in that. He is very entertaining but I don’t think he would be someone i would ever take a huge financial risk on. Would he improve us on the pitch? He Definitely would.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
There's just almost nobody that can touch him when he's on it. Spectacular over those 2 legs. Too much baggage to want to see him at United. That's not where we're going, I don't think. I hope not.

tomaldinho1

I have to say he’s usually their best player in most CL games they play. He just never managed to hit the freakish levels of Messi or Ronny but there’s no shame in that. He is very entertaining but I don’t think he would be someone i would ever take a huge financial risk on. Would he improve us on the pitch? He Definitely would.
I think he'd improve any team but he's too expensive to move anywhere and, in fairness, if he likes living in Paris, this is his second CL semi in a row and Ligue 1 isn't as awful as it once was. United are probably one of the few clubs that could afford him!

Cloud7

If you don’t enjoy watching Neymar play then football probably isn’t the right sport for you

A-man

You can have an impact without scoring a goal. He was probably the best player over the two legs and set up all 3 goals in the first. Shame people will actually choose to ignore what their eyes see in favour for some statistics these days.
Sure, but being the best player in a quarter final doesn’t automatically make you the next Messi/Neymar. However I think we can already forget that he’ll be the “successor”, at his age both Messi and Ronaldo had accomplished so much more.

Also: Goals are not just stats. That’s how you win matches. Hardly ever seen a player miss so many 1v1 with the goal keeper as he did today.

IMO, Navas was the best player in PSG over both matches.

A-man

And if he was Ronaldo he’d had his hat trick. That’s the line, thin or not.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Sure, but being the best player in a quarter final doesn’t automatically make you the next Messi/Neymar. However I think we can already forget that he’ll be the “successor”, at his age both Messi and Ronaldo had accomplished so much more.

Also: Goals are not just stats. That’s how you win matches. Hardly ever seen a player miss so many 1v1 with the goal keeper as he did today.

IMO, Navas was the best player in PSG over both matches.
He missed 2, you probably don't watch a lot of football do you?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yep, everyone conveniently forgets this. Was great in both legs even though he’s been out for ages. I think he was the best player on the pitch today, but he did miss a couple of great chances and PSG were fortunate that Bayern didn’t punish them for that profligacy

A-man

He missed 2, you probably don't watch a lot of football do you?
I watch quite a lot and I also watch full matches rather than the YouTube highlights, so that’s maybe that’s how I saw more missed opportunities than you did.

Eddy_JukeZ

Best player in the world when fit.

He should have bagged at least 2 goals.

When he's fit, PSG are an entirely different team.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I watch quite a lot and I also watch full matches rather than the YouTube highlights, so that’s maybe that’s how I saw more missed opportunities than you did.
Yeah sure, show them to me then?

He hits the post once, the other is stopped by Neuer and where are the other 1v1? A hint : nowhere.
The only thing remotely looking like a 1v1 is when he looses tracks of a deflected ball and try to score before the keeper gets it.

Ali Dia

I’ve enjoyed laughing at him for the off the pitch stuff but I agree that’s he’s very entertaining. he’s unplayable and majorly creative at his best. If he wins the CL he would definitely win the ballon d’or so best player in the world recognition isn’t too far off for him at all. he’s been top 3 for a very long time but he needs to win the CL with PSG to be clear #1 out in front. Is this his year?

A-man

Yeah sure, show them to me then?

He hits the post once, the other is stopped by Neuer and where are the other 1v1? A hint : nowhere.
The only thing remotely looking like a 1v1 is when he looses tracks of a deflected ball and try to score before the keeper gets it.
He even missed a sitter served on a silver plate by from diMaria.