The negativity is unreal | Nevermind

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We were 8 points ahead of City with 5 games to go and lost the league.
It's not just the points total now but when you also factor in the upcoming fixtures. We'll no doubt drop quite a few more points over the next 5 or 6 games.

Just out of curiosity. If the positions were reversed and we were 8 points ahead, would you still say that the league is over? Chelsea could be even 12 points ahead but it really is impossible to say that the league is over after 9 games...
See above. 8 points today, if we lose, but how many after we get through this tough patch? If we end up 10, 12, 15 points behind then it'll just snowball because the players will know it's over.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Also, OP has made a lot of posts recently that could be construed as negative recently. He's only changed his tune after 45 minutes where we came back from the dead Vs Atalanta. Just having a look at his posts and he was talking about emergency board meetings etc after the Leicester game, and has been camped in the Ten Hag thread whilst Ole is still our manager.

CloneMC16

That said, why all the crazy negativity about him that just not make sense?

- He has built a fantastic team
- He has created good values and got rid of a very toxic environment.
- He got rid of players clearly not making the cut.
- He promoted youth into our first team.
- He started a process that imo has been excellent overall.

He has not been perfect all along, but no one are. He might not be the one in the end that brings glory back. But the man taking over will inherit something really good to work on.

So, why all the negativity on him. Even on him as player and legend. I find that extremely disgraceful.
- That is true. This is the best squad we've had since 2009.

- That is the biggest thing for me. The club was very toxic before he took over. You can say what you want about him, but I think he's done a lot to create a much better environment within the club. He has managed us with class.

- He has started that, but there are still players here that shouldn't be in the squad. He has given new contracts to players that should have been allowed to leave. Part of this is probably not his fault, though. He isn't doing the selling. The club has to sell players. The club seem to over value some of these players.

- Not really. The only youth player he brought through is Greenwood. What manager in world football wouldn't play Greenwood? I don't see any other youth player getting any real minutes. Van Gaal gave far more chances to youth players. I find this understandable, because he's trying his best to win us something. There are others that make the bench occasionally, but they're not playing any real minutes.

- In terms of what we're seeing on the pitch, I don't see that. Our football has been pretty bad in a very high percent of our games. There have been periods where we've played free flowing football, but they haven't been often. Our squad has improved and we have gone up the table, but the performances are still very bad.

Whoever does inherit this squad will have a great one to work with. I massively thank him for that. I understand some of the negativity. This squad is very strong and should be playing much better football than what we're seeing. I gave Ole the benefit of the doubt, and waited for him to put together the squad that he wanted. I think that has now been achieved, and the football is no better than it was 2 years ago. Based on the fixtures we've had, we should be top of the league. A loss today and we're 100% out of the title race in only 9 games. Our fixtures over the next 2 months are too difficult to see us catching up. That is completely unacceptable.

I do hate to see a legend disrespected as much as he is, though. I don't think he's good enough to take us any further, but to see some of our fans call him clueless and a clown is pretty awful. You can criticise him and do it in a civilised way.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think the point of this thread is that it's possible to think a manager change is needed but still not stink up this place with toxic posts & language, and hysterical reactions to everything that happens. You're not children, and there's no need to tear everything down just to make a point.

90 + 5min

They absolutely do take time. But surely you can see why Klopp might have got out more time than Ole?

Other than obviously being a better manager (that's not debatable is it?), if Klopp went 3 years without even coming close to challenging after spending the money he did on Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho, he probably would've started to feel the pressure.

Ole has spend big money every year, it's not unreasonable to expect serious challenging now is it?
Klopp is a better manager. There is no question. But who is better today and who is better next year can change in a moment. Why are we not giving him credit for us coming 2nd infront of Klopp last year? Just a thought.

If he had never played for us, was just some guy that managed Cardiff and Molde and then we gave them a £7.5m a year contract and 100s of millions to spend and after 3 years was looking down the barrel of being in the bottom half of the League after 10 games...I think a lot of the defenders of Ole would have a different tune. His playing days should have no bearing on how he is judged as a manager.
If Guardiola never played for Barcelona, would he got chance to be a manager in Barcelona? I don't compare them but just want to show it is not that easy as you write. I would have gave more time to VanGaal even if people wanted him out beacuse you need time.

Lentwood

I have been a so called "Ole in" and I support our manager and players. Ole has done a lot of right things to build us up after Moyes, LvG and Mourinho.

He deserves credit for what he has done so far. I still stand behind him and our team. His in charge and I still hope he can find his and our teams way to become what we all know the can be.

I have serious doubts though, he might not have that "last bit" in him to guide us to become great. If we could get someone like Erik ten Hag now, I would take him. No doubt about it.

He has not been perfect all along, but no one are. He might not be the one in the end that brings glory back. But the man taking over will inherit something really good to work on.

So, why all the negativity on him. Even on him as player and legend. I find that extremely disgraceful.
Because some of our more impatient, spoilt fanbase (usually not match-goers to be fair) walk around with an entitled 'we're Manchester Utd, we should be challenging' attitude, even when the reality is our squad and the way our team has been run at Board level has been a million miles off the standard required to win major trophies. Many who initially opposed Ole getting the job couldn't then admit they were wrong when he steered us to two consecutives CL finishes and tried to shift the goalposts to 'well, top four isn't an achievement, we should be winning trophies', as if City/Liverpool/Chelsea didn't exist and the last 5/6 years hadn't happened.

That being said, I have now reached the point where I do think Ole needs to be replaced. I agree he has done a good job of getting us from C to B, but we now have a fantastic squad with a good age profile to be competing for trophies. We can't afford to waste that, not with the quality in the PL and the wealth of the other teams.

What I have seen so far this season is very, very concerning. It's not just the results for me, it's the chaotic approach Ole has taken in trying to make us a more aggressive, front-foot side. It's the hardest thing to do in football, and it's why super-coaches like Pep, Klopp and Tuchel get the top jobs. They know how to manage teams full of superstar egos and also how to ensure that they get enough players into forward positions against mid-table/weaker sides, without leaving themselves vulnerable to the counter.

Ole's approach has been embarrassingly, shockingly naive, and has basically amount too...'well, if I throw more attackers on the pitch, we'll score more goals".

Denis79

I have been a so called "Ole in" and I support our manager and players. Ole has done a lot of right things to build us up after Moyes, LvG and Mourinho.

He deserves credit for what he has done so far. I still stand behind him and our team. His in charge and I still hope he can find his and our teams way to become what we all know the can be.

I have serious doubts though, he might not have that "last bit" in him to guide us to become great. If we could get someone like Erik ten Hag now, I would take him. No doubt about it.

Define negativity. I don't expect the worst but at the same time I don't believe he has the experience for this level, not yet anyways. Is that negativity or just an opinion, like you have one yourself?

Thing is Manchester United isn't an academy to train future managers, if he's not up to level then he needs to get that experience at lesser clubs.

He has built an excellent squad and expectations are understandably high. He should be judged like every manager before him, why is it different now? Because he's a former player? People are way too romantic about this. He's being paid handsomely to deliver results, if he doesn't he should be replaced, it's quite simple.

Mr PG

Good values?? Do you know what that phrase means?

Lets have a look. (Numbers from Transfermarkt.com)

Maguire €87m - Good value?
Bruno €63m - Very good value! We got what we paid for and a little bit more.
AWB 55m - Good value?
Daniel James - €18M - We sold him with profit so he represent OK value.
Ighalo - €12m loan fee - Good value?

DvdB - €39m - Good value?
Diallo €21m - Early days but so far his impact is close to zero. One cameo against Milan is our only ROI.
Telles -€14m - OK value from my perspective.
Pellistri €8m - Early days but so far zero impact in a United shirt.
Cavani Free transfer - Good value!

Sancho €85m - Very early days but so far this is not good value.
Varane - €40 - Now we talking about really good value.
Ronaldo €15m - So far so good but his arrival comes with on field challenges.

Heaton - Free transfer - OK value!

Renewing contracts - Phil Jones? Juan Mata? Nemanja Matic at least contribute on the pitch.

Contract negotiations - Paul Pogba?? Jesse Lingard??

Highly debatable, probably a little bit of exaggeration to say Ole has created good value. (some would say he has failed in more then 50% of his transfers)
So much nonsense in a lot of this. You can't judge any player in a short period of time. Players like Sancho could be a generational talent for years to come. It's players like these our fanbase would probably be moaning we failed to sign 10 yrs back.

Most important thing is we have hogged majority of the best attacking talent (Rashford, Mason, Sancho and potentially Amad) out there for years to come especially with big-spenders like Newcastle coming into the fray these kinds of players will be financially unattainable for regular clubs.

Our midfield is in the shit it is in because we failed to sign Tony Kroos, Modric and Thiago when they were available and cheap.

Andrew7582

Klopp is a better manager. There is no question. But who is better today and who is better next year can change in a moment. Why are we not giving him credit for us coming 2nd infront of Klopp last year? Just a thought.
"We are chasing them. Liverpool are one of the teams that we are trying to catch up on, on say the last four years. Even though last season we were ahead of them, maybe because of bad luck with injuries."

Even Ole himself thinks we only finished second due to the injuries Liverpool had.

Flytan

My god I'm so sick of these posts trying to defend Ole. He's a bad/mediocre manager. Ask yourself if any other club would still have him. The answer is no. I and most other acknowledge he did a good job as an interim but since he was promoted he's done just as poor/a job as any of our previous managers with even less to show for it.

-Our squad is more imbalanced that ever. So it is not great
-He gave us vibes, yes, that's what interim's job is
-We have just as much deadwood as LVGs last season (Lingard, Mata, Bailly, DVB etc. Players Ole wants to give new deals but never plays, not a good look)
-He promoted Greenwood, anyone would have done that, hell even Mourinho gave youth the same amount of chances
-How is the process excellent if we don't know how it ends? We haven't won anything?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Are you seriously saying that maybe Ole will be a better manager than Klopp next year???

Also it's hard to give Ole credit for finishing 2nd last season when Ole himself says we could have finished there due to the injury crisis pool suffered. Can't argue with the mans own words.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Because some of our more impatient, spoilt fanbase (usually not match-goers to be fair) walk around with an entitled 'we're Manchester Utd, we should be challenging' attitude, even when the reality is our squad and the way our team has been run at Board level has been a million miles off the standard required to win major trophies. Many who initially opposed Ole getting the job couldn't then admit they were wrong when he steered us to two consecutives CL finishes and tried to shift the goalposts to 'well, top four isn't an achievement, we should be winning trophies', as if City/Liverpool/Chelsea didn't exist and the last 5/6 years hadn't happened.

That being said, I have now reached the point where I do think Ole needs to be replaced. I agree he has done a good job of getting us from C to B, but we now have a fantastic squad with a good age profile to be competing for trophies. We can't afford to waste that, not with the quality in the PL and the wealth of the other teams.

What I have seen so far this season is very, very concerning. It's not just the results for me, it's the chaotic approach Ole has taken in trying to make us a more aggressive, front-foot side. It's the hardest thing to do in football, and it's why super-coaches like Pep, Klopp and Tuchel get the top jobs. They know how to manage teams full of superstar egos and also how to ensure that they get enough players into forward positions against mid-table/weaker sides, without leaving themselves vulnerable to the counter.

Ole's approach has been embarrassingly, shockingly naive, and has basically amount too...'well, if I throw more attackers on the pitch, we'll score more goals".
I'm pretty on this line of thinking too. With the exception that i'm more of a glass half full type of guy, if we win today (which I think we have a realistic chance of doing so) then we'd only be 1 point behind Liverpool. Granted we'd be behind Chelsea and City too, but Tuchels never managed during the crazy Christmas period so we'll see how he copes with that. I remember Klopp had difficulities with it initially. I also don't think they can sustain their form with their strikers fluffing chances. We're also doing better in the CL Group and we're what, 4 points away from qualifying? Again, we've been here before and it went tits up last time, but this time round you'd hope we've learnt our lesson, we're also in an easier group. It's not been a good start to the season though, I can understand the frustration. But I think Bilbo raises the point well.

I think the point of this thread is that it's possible to think a manager change is needed but still not stink up this place with toxic posts & language, and hysterical reactions to everything that happens. You're not children, and there's no need to tear everything down just to make a point.

arthurka

There have been more posts about Ole being out of his depth or they he has taken this team as far as he can take it. Not many have plowed into him really. If we lose today the season is finished again before it starts so I think it's a fair assessment to be fair. Ole has be given time, built a good squad, supported financially and given leeway when we were in a rut. For me he has gone as far as he can and we should go with another manager to take this group further. Don't see the negativity it's just clear we haven't really progressed as much as our squad has.

jasT1981

He's built a great list of players
He has not built a great team.

We can't play as a team. Until we can, individual talent, no matter how World class means nothing.

wolvored

If the board learn anything from this 'experiment' is never to do it again. We have never produced a decent manager from our ex player catalog. If they kept him on in some capacity other than manager or coaching capacity, then there wouldnt be any moaning from me. He has built an expensively assembled decent squad, which should be a boon when we eventually bring in a competent manager.

croadyman

I will admit the negativity is understandable given our form but that goes out the window when we play each other, like someone sad in a previous post look at their victory in 00/01 when we in our pomp to see proof of that

90 + 5min

Are you seriously saying that maybe Ole will be a better manager than Klopp next year???

Also it's hard to give Ole credit for finishing 2nd last season when Ole himself says we could have finished there due to the injury crisis pool suffered. Can't argue with the mans own words.
You are taking things out of context. A manager can easly fall from the top. As players can. As clubs can. Just for thought. What if Klopp gets meltdown and gets Liverpool to a 12th place and we win league next season with Solskjaer. Would you still think Solskjaer is a bad manager and put Klopp as a brilliant manager?

So we have not been hit by injuries previous years? And we have been told by our own supporters it is Solskjaer fault that we have injuries? There is agenda from some and it shows.

lex talionis

A strange thread to start on a matchday at OT against our most bitter rival, Liverpool FC.

wolvored

Define negativity. I don't expect the worst but at the same time I don't believe he has the experience for this level, not yet anyways. Is that negativity or just an opinion, like you have one yourself?

Thing is Manchester United isn't an academy to train future managers, if he's not up to level then he needs to get that experience at lesser clubs.

He has built an excellent squad and expectations are understandably high. He should be judged like every manager before him, why is it different now? Because he's a former player? People are way too romantic about this. He's being paid handsomely to deliver results, if he doesn't he should be replaced, it's quite simple.
Well said. Its not as if hes doing it as a favour. Hes probably amongst the highest paid managers in the world. Not at the top but top 20.

Andrew7582

You are taking things out of context. A manager can easly fall from the top. As players can. As clubs can. Just for thought. What if Klopp gets meltdown and gets Liverpool to a 12th place and we win league next season with Solskjaer. Would you still think Solskjaer is a bad manager and put Klopp as a brilliant manager?

So we have not been hit by injuries previous years? And we have been told by our own supporters it is Solskjaer fault that we have injuries? There is agenda from some and it shows.
"We are chasing them. Liverpool are one of the teams that we are trying to catch up on, on say the last four years. Even though last season we were ahead of them, maybe because of bad luck with injuries."

Which part of that are we taking out of context? It is very clear what he said. He is downplaying the squad's achievement in finishing second in an attempt to lower this seasons expectations. I wonder how the players are supposed to feel about being told they only finished second due to liverpool having injuries, it's a shocking statement to make to the media. He is in self preservation mode. The other problem is, finishing second was apparently evidence of progress, that's what the Ole inners kept on telling us, but according to Ole we only finished there due to other teams issues, so where is the progress then, there isn't any.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

I think you could be taking things out of context with the injuries issues. It's no secret Ole burnt out his players last season. It doesn't matter if Rashford says he's fit to play when he obviously wasn't. He should of been taken out of the firing line. That's the managers job. The same this season pushing Maquire back in instead of trusting the back ups which Ole has done time and time again although I do think Ole/ the club deserves credit because looking at the bigger picture we haven't had as many injuries as in previous seasons.

I honestly thought this season Liverpool would struggle. Klopps high intensity game obviously takes it toll on players and they're not getting any younger but so far he's managed to keep the train on the tracks and yes even if he did have a meltdown season I'd still bet on him to bounce back. I don't have the same faith in Ole because basically I can never see him winning either the PL or the CL so for me your point is mute.

SER19

I agree with all of your positive sentiments about ole but simply can't make excuses any more for how bad we are. We absolutely leak goals, can't defend set pieces and today for example you have a fan base with absolutely no clue whether we will win 2-1 or lose 4 nil. I don't know what our attacking strategy is at all. We're terrible to watch most of the time. Hes done well, but that's it, and contrasted with tuchel and Chelsea or klopp at pool or countless others it's just not good enough. There's no denying it anymore as far as im concerned though id never be happier to be proven wrong

CloneMC16

Even Ole himself thinks we only finished second due to the injuries Liverpool had.
He would be right. They were playing midfielders in defence for almost half a season. If we had 4 of our CB's out, we would be completely fecked. We're already bad with everybody available. It's still good that we climbed the table, but finishing ahead of Liverpool is not a great achievement if you actually look at why they had a poor season.

Revan

Assumptionman
We had by far the easiest run of games from all top teams, and there is a realistic chance that we will be out of title race in three hours. The football is unbearable. That is, after he spent more money than any other manager in these three years, and we have the highest salary bill in football.

Oh yeah, he brought a couple of good players and a few okay ones, for 420 million pounds. Great! So long and thanks for all the fish! Now please, let’s get a serious manager who is actually good and let’s win some trophies before these players are past it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Have to agree with Basti on 5Live earlier: said we are a work in progress but it is taking too long and "when I watch United, I don't know how they play" while City and Chelsea have a strategy and a DNA...

RUCK4444

Absolute agree on the OP.

Personally I actively try to avoid the forum on match day.

Until the mods do something about the extreme negativity I’ll just visit less. Then again most of the mods created their own negative threads after the last poor result so theirs not much chance of that.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Until the mods do something about the extreme negativity I’ll just visit less. Then again most of the mods created their own negative threads after the last poor result so theirs not much chance of that.
why should they hide the truth? do you think Wednesday's first half created optimism?

RUCK4444

why should they hide the truth? do you think Wednesday's first half created optimism?
I’d just rather not hear a bunch of fully grown people parrot each other with the same negativity, especially when it’s hysterical after a dramatic brilliant second half win (to use your example.)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I’d just rather not hear a bunch of fully grown people parrot each other with the same negativity, especially when it’s hysterical after a dramatic brilliant second half win (to use your example.)
OK, so you don't want the truth. that's your choice

Kcocymkcus

I'm more surprised that some people are surprised by the negativity.

It's not rocket science. We haven't played well this season, hence why people are negative, they expect more from one of the biggest clubs in the world they love and they aren't seeing it.

I admire you're Disney-fied view of life, that every fan should be happy no matter what and wake up with a smile on their faces with big round ears and a fairy princess bringing you breakfast as she switches Sky Sports on to watch the United game, but some of us can see past the plinky-plonk music and Tinkerbell pixie dust to understand the team isn't good enough or not managed properly, take your pick.

Redlyn

The threads are a direct reflection of our football. Once we look cohesive and start winning consistently the negativity will pipe down. You can't create an artificial dreamland by shutting down the majority of opinions. Imo the football needs to do the talking not the mods. Not long to suffer now, Ole is surely about to have a breakthrough. Or something.

RUCK4444

OK, so you don't want the truth. that's your choice
A persons opinion isn’t the definitive truth, it’s an opinion. One their welcome to, one I would keep to myself if I could already see the entire forum was swamped with the same after every poor performance because it adds nothing to the forum other than make it quite toxic for a fan to visit.

Each to their own, lots of posters, like yourself perhaps, seem to love the negativity and use it as some soundboard to cathartically expel their anger.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The negativity is huge but it's not unwarranted. Ole has done a good job to stabilize the ship and change things within, I think nobody's disputing that.

As for about March last season thing had been looking rosy but then it had totally gone to pieces. Poor league end to the season, clusterfeck of an Europa final and then this season looking shambles already despite him actually having top players in his disposal.

No style of play, defence looking worst it has been since Moyes and him smiling while drawing/losing games.. I'd say he gave us legitimate hopes which looks to have proven vain tbf. He should be doing much better with this team no excuses.

RUCK4444

The thread are a direct reflection of our football. Once we look cohesive and start winning consistently the negativity will pipe down. You can't create an artificial dreamland by shutting down the majority of opinions. Imo the football needs to do the talking not the mods. Not long to wait now, Ole is surely about to have a breakthrough. Or something.
You just had to finish on a negative and prove my point. :lol:

Never mind.

Acquire Me

Good values?? Do you know what that phrase means?

Lets have a look. (Numbers from Transfermarkt.com)

Maguire €87m - Good value?
Bruno €63m - Very good value! We got what we paid for and a little bit more.
AWB 55m - Good value?
Daniel James - €18M - We sold him with profit so he represent OK value.
Ighalo - €12m loan fee - Good value?

DvdB - €39m - Good value?
Diallo €21m - Early days but so far his impact is close to zero. One cameo against Milan is our only ROI.
Telles -€14m - OK value from my perspective.
Pellistri €8m - Early days but so far zero impact in a United shirt.
Cavani Free transfer - Good value!

Sancho €85m - Very early days but so far this is not good value.
Varane - €40 - Now we talking about really good value.
Ronaldo €15m - So far so good but his arrival comes with on field challenges.

Heaton - Free transfer - OK value!

Renewing contracts - Phil Jones? Juan Mata? Nemanja Matic at least contribute on the pitch.

Contract negotiations - Paul Pogba?? Jesse Lingard??

Highly debatable, probably a little bit of exaggeration to say Ole has created good value. (some would say he has failed in more then 50% of his transfers)
Not sure if serious :houllier:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Bit of an exaggeration mate. See below

He has built a fantastic team

Not really- I would say , he has been just average. 170m for Maguire, AWB and Donny isn't something I call as fantastic.

Agreed.

Debatable. He got rid of Sanchez, Fellaini, Darmian and Lukaku. Baring Sanchez, I would still have the rest of them.

No, he hasn't. Mason is the only one he has promoted and he would have come anyways.

Very generic. What exactly is that process ??

Redlyn

You just had to finish on a negative and prove my point. :lol:

Never mind.
What point is that? That most posters are very negative? Thats pretty much fact. Majority are not satisfied with this.