The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Sprinklers on in the end were shooting into in the 2nd half.

More passing coming up

kidbob

Ah I don't know man but Kenny is not the one IMO.
I definitely understand that viewpoint. Results aren't always that good. To be honest I'm worried that we'll revert back to type and go back to the Trappatoni style era. If I thought we could get a better progressive manager than Kenny then I wouldn't mind but I don't trust the FAI. Either way the next few years are important to get right as we do have some talented young players coming up.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Excellent performance, 2 good goals, lots of good play, a couple up, 2 rockets from out of nowhere, 2-2 half time. The very definition of an Irish performance under Kenny. I'm a fan but Jaysus, it never seems to go the way it should. Lots of positives, Smallbone looked great, Ferguson and Obafemi have the potential to be a great partnership, important because we're defo going 5 at the back against the French and the Dutch. Matt and O'Dowda look great going forward but you can see their flaws going g the other way.

McGrathsipan

Excellent performance, 2 good goals, lots of good play, a couple up, 2 rockets from out of nowhere, 2-2 half time. The very definition of an Irish performance under Kenny. I'm a fan but Jaysus, it never seems to go the way it should. Lots of positives, Smallbone looked great, Ferguson and Obafemi have the potential to be a great partnership, important because we're defo going 5 at the back against the French and the Dutch. Matt and O'Dowda look great going forward but you can see their flaws going g the other way.
Matt Doherty ?

scottser

"Ireland
Football
"

The wording is odd. Design is nice though.
The colours are weird. It's like an olive green and piss orange, not like the strong colours on the flag.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We're still shite but now have a wonderkid. If France show up on Monday it will likely be a hammering.

Still ill

We're still shite but now have a wonderkid. If France show up on Monday it will likely be a hammering.
Come on now. Good keeper, three good centre halves, Cullen in for a bit of control, a half decent number 9.....one of the great nights only round the corner, Kid.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
One of the worst atmospheres I've experienced at Lansdowne in years. Assume everyone's saving their voice to boo Mbappé on Monday. Decent game all the same, both their goals out of nothing really, which, for most teams would be a relief, but for us, it's happening so often now that there has to be something not being done correctly to avoid conceding all these wonder goals.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One of the worst atmospheres I've experienced at Lansdowne in years. Assume everyone's saving their voice to boo Mbappé on Monday. Decent game all the same, both their goals out of nothing really, which, for most teams would be a relief, but for us, it's happening so often now that there has to be something not being done correctly to avoid conceding all these wonder goals.

Yeah it’s nuts how often we concede long range screamers against teams we should be much better than. Bizarre.

Brophs

The One and Only
As an aside, people keep telling me Kelleher is really good but he hasn’t looked up to much in an Ireland shirt. He seems to have zero presence about him.

Rooney24

As an aside, people keep telling me Kelleher is really good but he hasn’t looked up to much in an Ireland shirt. He seems to have zero presence about him.
Id have Bazunu ahead of him every time.

Still ill

Indeed. He's freaking me out a little with that robotic calmness, even when conceding goals. Harsh, possibly but I thought it was a strange dive for the screamer, never got off the ground and deflection or not, I thought he could have done more with the second. I'll be glad to see Bazunu back on Monday.

Pirlo'sBeard

Strange decision from Kenny.

He's only played 3 games all season, whereas Bazunu is playing every week.

BerryBerryShrew

Kelleher sits on his hole at Liverpool. Bazunu starts every week. Why isn't he playing?
Id have Bazunu ahead of him every time.
Strange decision from Kenny.

He's only played 3 games all season, whereas Bazunu is playing every week.
By all accounts, Bazunu is playing shite every week (except against us, obviously). He is statistically the worst performing keeper in the PL. Kelleher isn't playing, but as a result he isn't showing his limitations too often.

I'm a massive Bazunu fanboy, and I reckon that he will definitely prove to be the better keeper in time, but right now it's not a ridiculous decision to drop him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
By all accounts, Bazunu is playing shite every week (except against us, obviously). He is statistically the worst performing keeper in the PL. Kelleher isn't playing, but as a result he isn't showing his limitations too often.

I'm a massive Bazunu fanboy, and I reckon that he will definitely prove to be the better keeper in time, but right now it's not a ridiculous decision to drop him.
Think he might even be one of the very worst in Europe, in terms of stats.

McGrathsipan

Annoyingly, both the young keepers have been consistently pretty gash at shot stopping in an Ireland shirt.
The shots should be stopped by the defenders that aren't doing it.

Keepers getting beaten by long range efforts time and again is worrying

Still ill

Yeah, he's a young lad playing in a poor side. Dave looked pish for us in his first season. I'd say Bazunu got his promotion to Premier league starter a season or 2 early. But I still would be very hopeful for him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Combined total xG of these 9 goals conceded from outside the box?

next_number_seven

Combined total xG of these 9 goals conceded from outside the box?

I think Stephen Kenny has been unlucky. Napoleon said something about lucky generals. Trappotoni and O'Neill got lots of luck.

Let's hope the old adage about luck evening out comes in to play for these qualifiers.

I think we'll have a tasty enough team in 2 years assuming certain players continue to develop positively.

I don't know enough about football to know if Kenny's a good coach but it's certainly more interesting to watch Ireland at the moment.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Have no issues with conceding wonder goals. That'll revert to the mean eventually.

But why is no one talking about Ireland actually fecking scoring goals!
It's been so long since goals have been flowing,
11 in the last 5 games, 6 in the last two.

Good signs.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think giving Kelleher a game was sound thinking. He needs minutes, having a sub keeper with basically zero club minutes is not ideal.

Anything other than a mauling by France on Monday will be OK. They look tasty as feck against the Netherlands.

Oranges038

Ian Harte on the telly too. Haven't seen or heard of him for such a long time.

Reminded me of that free kick vs Israel all them years ago.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ian Harte on the telly too. Haven't seen or heard of him for such a long time.

Reminded me of that free kick vs Israel all them years ago.
Poor Ian, all I remember is how tortured he was playing behind a young Kilbane who was always losing possession and making Harte look out of position.

Kilbane aged well but he was a disaster initially.