The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Oranges038

Poor Ian, all I remember is how tortured he was playing behind a young Kilbane who was always losing possession and making Harte look out of position.

Kilbane aged well but he was a disaster initially.
Aye, Zinedine was a bit of a donkey at times.

next_number_seven

I think giving Kelleher a game was sound thinking. He needs minutes, having a sub keeper with basically zero club minutes is not ideal.

Anything other than a mauling by France on Monday will be OK. They look tasty as feck against the Netherlands.
I think if you can shackle Mbappe, then they're manageable. This is easier said than done obviously.

Our best chance is probably coming 3rd in the group but I've no idea how it works. Only 3 teams come through that route so it'll involve a few tricky playoff games.

Our only hope of 2nd is if we manage to draw at home to France and Holland, then maybe draw away to Holland and obviously win our other games. France will have to beat Holland home and away. Or else squeeze past them on goal difference.

Kenny's competence will be judged on our games with Greece really and even they're tricky opponents.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Normally you have a slight hope you get an unbelievable result against a top side but under Kenny we have become a minnow. We have zero chance on Monday.

He hasn't been helped by the poor standard of players we have currently got (there is some hope with some youngsters), but he is well out his depth at this level.

A narrow defeat would be an excellent outcome.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think if you can shackle Mbappe, then they're manageable. This is easier said than done obviously.

Our best chance is probably coming 3rd in the group but I've no idea how it works. Only 3 teams come through that route so it'll involve a few tricky playoff games.

Our only hope of 2nd is if we manage to draw at home to France and Holland, then maybe draw away to Holland and obviously win our other games. France will have to beat Holland home and away. Or else squeeze past them on goal difference.

Kenny's competence will be judged on our games with Greece really and even they're tricky opponents.
They looked imperious last night.

We could draw with the Dutch home and away and hope other results go our way. Also I could see us forth and it not necessarily mean Kenny should go.

next_number_seven

Our players are probably on a similar level to Greece.

We'll have to beat them at home anyway.

It's hard to judge Kenny's reign cos the results have been so mixed but at least they're interesting to watch rather than the grind out a 1-1 draw type games we're accustomed to.

I think he has been unlucky with conceding wonder goals and then drawing the toughest group possible. Also our squad was very weak and old when he took over and he's introduced lots of young players.

If our current players develop nicely and other ones like Zefi, Abankwa, Festy develop etc then we'll have a good squad in 2 to 3 years.

We could do with qualifying for a tournament though to increase revenue and get a sponsor, and generate some excitement about a young team.

Maybe our luck will turn and we'll start scoring poxy goals

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ferguson Vs Mbappe tonight, gonna be close one but the boys in green take it tonight I'd say.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's like losing the WC final has made them angry and more determined. Our only hope is that they are complacent against us.
They've played one match and smashed a fairly shit injury hit dutch team?

I mean yeh they are huge Favs tonight understandably, but it's not changed much from the team England probably should have beat at the WC.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
They've played one match and smashed a fairly shit injury hit dutch team?

I mean yeh they are huge Favs tonight understandably, but it's not changed much from the team England probably should have beat at the WC.
England would destroy us too though. We have a lad from Rotherham starting.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ogbene’s been a handful too. Having the two of them up there definitely helps keep the French defence honest. They’d have been on easy street if we just played with one up top.
Yeah I think Ogbene fares better in the channels, he's often asked to do the Ferguson role, and tries but can't.