The Next Ryan Giggs?

Barry Red

I don't often post in this forum, but here's one that's open to discussion...
I think the club's biggest transfer problem will be replacing Ryan Giggs when the time comes.

Forget the next Ruud van Nistelroy, there's plenty of top class strikers out there who would do well in our squad - Torres, Huntelaar, Berbatov etc. etc. etc. All the club has to do is splash the cash. I am more worried about replacing Giggsy. Quite simply I haven't seen anyone like him out there - there are plenty of skilful wingers, good attacking midfielders etc. but I haven't seen anyone as versatile as Ryan.

I know his hamstring problems seem to be under control but who knows what the future holds? Injuries take longer to heal when you are in your thirties and I really feel that the club ought to have some kind of fallback plan.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I'd go for lennon. I think ok he's not as versitile but he's the best english player out there. We've been linked to nani how good he is, I have no idea but you can bet that the club have someone lined up. I'm not worried at all because alot of people were worried about keanos replacement and yet here we are having our best ever season under fergie. So rather then the next ryan giggs let's not look for that, let's look for a player who has the talent to make a name for himself ;)

Daddz

Jesus wept, Richardson!! What a joke that lad really is.

Good point though, replacing Giggs is going to be the hardest yet. Far more than replacing Robson, Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane etc over the years.

Only when he retires will people finally realise how good he really is.

Have heard good reports about Lee Martin but only time will tell.

Maybe if we buy Queresma he'll help soften the blow??

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Diddz said:
I actually felt sorry for him Vs Boro on Monday. He is so far out of his depth.

Daddz

CnutOfAllCnuts said:
I actually felt sorry for him Vs Boro on Monday. He is so far out of his depth.
You are so right pal. Thing is, why doesn't Fergie see that?? He's not good enough to watch United let alone play for us.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Striker10 said:
I'd go for lennon.
Lennon is vastly overrated due to him being English.

Ronaldo could take the left wing for himself and SAF would need to find a good right winger. However, if Ronnie stays on the right I'd go for Downing on the left. Quality player who could thrive at a bigger club (or go bust).

Doubt Martin will make it at United, but would be nice if he does.

moonhead

I would say that we already have a replacement for Giggs in Ronaldo - although Ronaldo is obviously a great player in his own right, he is similar to Giggs in terms of speed and trickery - what we never got a replacement for was Beckham.

I would argue that whilst we have pace and guile on one flank, what we need is pin-point passing and top-notch crossing from the other flank.

Other than Gary Neville, on occasion, who can deliver a really good cross?

rrarraroon

youth team player
Cristiano Ronaldo is already Giggs' replacement, we must find a replacement for Cristiano on the right.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
moonhead said:
I would say that we already have a replacement for Giggs in Ronaldo - although Ronaldo is obviously a great player in his own right, he is similar to Giggs in terms of speed and trickery - what we never got a replacement for was Beckham.

I would argue that whilst we have pace and guile on one flank, what we need is pin-point passing and top-notch crossing from the other flank.

Other than Gary Neville, on occasion, who can deliver a really good cross?
Pace and guile on both flanks is even better. :drool:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Diddz said:
How many times have you seen him play???????
For France, every game, for Marseille, from time to time (before he got injured)...

So I know him pretty well, and I think he's one of the most talented wingers right now

rrarraroon

youth team player
ERICSAGOD said:
Pace and guile on both flanks is even better. :drool:
I agree...

As I always say, we don't have the tall players in the middle to make a Becks type winger effective enough. Our game is now all about winning 1-1 situations, counters, and quick thinking/passing.

Just imagine Ronnie working the left side (or right side), two defenders gravitate towards him instantly, with a third keeping his eyes on him while trying to mark Wazza at the same time. Ronnie then pushes forward a little, slaps the ball back to Gabby (or Neville), who then proceeds to switch it over to Nani on the other flank with a beautiful long lob. Nani is now 1-1 with his man licking his lips and trying not to get overexcited. Nani does his thing, but unfortunately, this time, gets the ball poked from his feet by a skillful full back, the opposition fans exhale. Then it dawns on them... there's 89 more minutes of this. :devil:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Escobar said:
For France, every game, for Marseille, from time to time (before he got injured)...

So I know him pretty well, and I think he's one of the most talented wingers right now
That's just it, is he really a winger? I see him more as a forward drifting out wide from time to time....?

Floyd

That being said, I do like the thought of Ronaldo as Ribery as our wingers, The Beauty and The Beast.

:)

marcus agrippa

Ryan Giggs, one of my favourite United players of modern times, there's no doubt about that.

players like him are a rarity, and i honestly think we can't replace him. we can get a player with similar quality, who can beat a player, say, or with tons of pace. but, as was the case with Carrick 'replacing' Keano, it will just be a case of our having to adapt ourselves to playing differently.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Gareth Bale could be groomed. Has the look of a left winger starting his career at full back. Obviously still too young to know how his career would progress, but he delivers a fantastic cross already.

Would also give us a better balance in midfield than someone like Lennon.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
lennon ain't over rated feck me. He was brilliant last season. When he came on during the world cups albeit for brief spells England looked a FAR better team and this season he's doing well. He needs to score more goals but he's young and has all the attributes to be a very good player. He's also someone who was born in the north so the weather and everything else wouldn't be a problem.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Diddz said:

Good point though, replacing Giggs is going to be the hardest yet. Far more than replacing Robson, Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane etc over the years.

Only when he retires will people finally realise how good he really is.

Have heard good reports about Lee Martin but only time will tell.

Maybe if we buy Queresma he'll help soften the blow??
You must be joking. It took us years to get anyone even close to good enough to replace Schmeichel. Although great wingers are rare, plenty of good ones do exist.

Floyd

Mozza said:
Downing, though he's a completely different type of player.
He's a good player and faster then I first thought. A Beckham with speed if you like.

But he's very one-footed, there will be no changing sides with Ronaldo.

And he's going to cost a bomb.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Floyd said:
He's a good player and faster then I first thought. A Beckham with speed if you like.

But he's very one-footed, there will be no changing sides with Ronaldo.

And he's going to cost a bomb.
He can cross with both feet, did so against us in the FA cup matches

Floyd

Mozza said:
He can cross with both feet, did so against us in the FA cup matches
I saw him shoot on monday with his right peg, not very impressive.

:)

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Floyd said:
That's just it, is he really a winger? I see him more as a forward drifting out wide from time to time....?
He can either play as a right or left winger (for France, he played on the right because Zidane was more on the left) but for Marseille he's a left winger. But he can also play as an attacking midfielder, as he likes to run to the middle.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
marcus agrippa said:
more's the pity then.

Downing is massively overrated. wouldn't come anywhere near filling Giggsy's boots.
You would have said the same of Carrick last season.

He is different to Giggs but capable of setting up many goals

kanchelskis14

To be honest i don't think Giggs will be any where near our hardest to replace of our golden generation. Nothing like Keane and Scholes. With Giggs i reckon it's just a case of it being expensive, but should we have the cash, then just buy one of the world's best wingers or most promising and we'll be alright i reckon. Buy Robben, we'll be fine. Buy Lennon, we'll be fine. That kinda thing. A job like running up and down the wing and crossing the ball isn't like a central role where you have to come in and be the heart of the team. If we get someone fast enough, skillfull enough and productive enough, they can do it.

marcus agrippa

Mozza said:
You would have said the same of Carrick last season.

He is different to Giggs but capable of setting up many goals
actually, you can ferret out my posts just before and after we signed Carrick (i even started a thread defending him against his detractors). i was one of his biggest supporters, and was very very ecstatic that we signed him. in fact, i felt we signed him a season or so too late.

Downing has one trick: drop the shoulder and beat the man. top class defenders cotton to that very easily. to be anywhere near Giggsy's class, he has to have more to him game than that.