The Next Ryan Giggs?

MarliMan

feck Offfffffff!!!!!!!

--------------------------------close Thread-----------------------------------------------

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Easy
Best winger of last decade = Giggs
Best winger of next decade = Ronaldo

VoetbalWizard

keano is harder to replace than giggs, though giggs is my alltime favorite player.....and tbf these types of players, they can't be replaced in their entirety. They are one-offs. Giggs is ryan giggs, he's not 'next george best' and after him there will be no 'next ryan giggs'. You think we're going to get another winger of his calibre that'll be in the first XI for 17 straight years?

that said, two closest players to giggsy are messi and robben. Problem is, NO and i mean No winger does the defensive work of giggsy but still has his dribbling/pace qualities. We'll just have to adapt with the changing times.

Scholes replacement, it looks more and more like its going to be a carrick-hargreaves midfield so we aren't going to get a direct replacement for him. But, kaka would easily do a job that scholes does, if not with even more devastation in europe because kaka i truely believe can be of zidane quality.

iniesta and xavi are fair replacements as well.

Longlivekeano

Spend 20 million pounds on Lennon. He's worth it and comes with no baggage nor cultural adjustment baggage issues that will come together with exotic players like Nani, Quaresma, Joaquin...

Besides, one trickster in Ronaldo is enough. Two might disrupt the team's balance. We need a direct penetrative winger and I feel that Lennon fits the bill perfectly with his blistering pace.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
You must be out of your mind claiming Ribery is shite. Would also have liked to see Ninis.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Longlivekeano said:
Spend 20 million pounds on Lennon. He's worth it and comes with no baggage nor cultural adjustment baggage issues that will come together with exotic players like Nani, Quaresma, Joaquin...

Besides, one trickster in Ronaldo is enough. Two might disrupt the team's balance. We need a direct penetrative winger and I feel that Lennon fits the bill perfectly with his blistering pace.
Its too much money for a winger who isnt half as good as the likes of Ronaldo or even Simao.

devilish

Freak said:
:lol: Lennon is already twice the player simao is. In fact simao is like ribery, overrated and ...shit.
Lennon is overrated. He is fast, but technically wise Im not truly impressed with him, certianly not enough to spend 20m for him. Simao may not be twice as good as Lennon (that comment was reserved for Ronaldo) but he is technically gifted, he is hardworking, he is a great crosser of the ball, has a great eye for goals and he can play on both flanks. He is also cheaper and had already played with Ronaldo with successful results.

Stating that if all English players are as good as how the British people sees them then England would have won 10 world cups at a row.;)

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
devilish said:
Lennon is overrated. He is fast, but technically wise Im not truly impressed with him, certianly not enough to spend 20m for him. Simao may not be twice as good as Lennon (that comment was reserved for Ronaldo) but he is technically gifted, he is hardworking, he is a great crosser of the ball and can play on both flanks. He is also cheaper and had already played with Ronaldo with successful results.

Stating that if all English players are as good as how the British people sees them then England would have won 10 world cups at a row.;)
Great post:D

devilish

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
Great post:D
Lennon would do well at OT.....but 20m is just too much for him.

Not to forget that its good to have a good mix of foreign and British based talent in the team. Ok English talent tend to be loyal, hardworking etc but Southern European talent has that kind of shrewdness (just look at Ronaldo against Middlesbrough) that British talent currently lack and which can make you win games. Having the right balance is the key to success.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
devilish said:
Lennon would do well at OT.....but 20m is just too much for him.
SWP would have been pretty good at OT. Yet He is still an average player comapred to a Ronaldo.Just like Lennon, who as he is now, is not even better than SWP.

devilish said:
Not to forget that its good to have a good mix of foreign and British based talent in the team. Ok English talent tend to be loyal, hardworking etc but Southern European talent has that kind of shrewdness (just look at Ronaldo against Middlesbrough) that British talent currently lack and which can make you win games. Having the right balance is the key to success.
That is good to have. But we should have the really talented or effective ones. Lennon is not that talented. Plus I'm yet to be convinced of his overall effectiveness. Since his end product is not very good. In terms of crosses...A SWP clone if you ask me...I'd rather have Bentley tbh.......Meanwhile we need to replace Giggs with another Ronaldo. The type of talent no English player seems to possess.

devilish

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
SWP would have been pretty good at OT. Yet He is still an average player comapred to a Ronaldo.Just like Lennon, who as he is now, is not even better than SWP.

That is good to have. But we should have the really talented or effective ones. Lennon is not that talented. Plus I'm yet to be convinced of his overall effectiveness. Since his end product is not very good. In terms of crosses...A SWP clone if you ask me...I'd rather have Bentley tbh.......Meanwhile we need to replace Giggs with another Ronaldo. The type of talent no English player seems to possess.
I think that it would be impossible to replace Giggsie and very hard to find another Ronaldo. Stating that I agree with you that there is no one in England capable of doing that.

Lennon is currently the best right winger England has. He has the raw skill to make it. Unfortunately for him there are better talent around which are(cheaper/at the same price). Not only that, players like Simao and Queresema had been playing with Ronaldo for years. Their understanding is simply impressive and they are capable of switching roles, which, in todays football is the secret to sucess. Not to forget also that if we are going to spend 20m on Hargreaves and maybe another decent sum on a striker then money will be tight and I doubt that we would be able to afford 20m on Lennon.

karan316

I think Giggs could easily go on until the end of next season at least

we should sign Giles Barnes from Derby, I really think he's got the potential to develop into a top class winger, and he could rotate with Giggs for the next couple of seasons until he develops fully

anyone seen his recent performances for Derby? really reminds me of Cristiano 2-3 years ago

Cold_Boy

Longlivekeano said:

Yeah I agree completely.I can't be sure that Nani or Quaresma[if we sign ] will not say he wants to go to Real Madrid or Barca one day .
Lennon would be a class signing even at 20 mil quids.Many here don't rate him saying that he is English and over-rated but he is only 19 years old and clearly will improve by miles if he comes to United.

Cold_Boy

Btw I watched Nani a 3-4 times now and I have been quite impressed.He is brilliant in taking on the defenders,just like Ronaldo. Would be a good signing IMo.

devilish

amit_onlymanutd said:
Yeah I agree completely.I can't be sure that Nani or Quaresma[if we sign ] will not say he wants to go to Real Madrid or Barca one day .
Lennon would be a class signing even at 20 mil quids.Many here don't rate him saying that he is English and over-rated but he is only 19 years old and clearly will improve by miles if he comes to United.
Bollocks.

A) Loyalty isnt tied with someone's nationality. There had been many loyal "foreigners" (Zola, Cantona, Henry and Ole to mention a few) in the EPL as much as there were English players who had betrayed the trust of their clubs and signed for someone else (Mcmanaman and Sol Campbell).

B) Lets say that Ronaldo leaves Manchester United during Summer would anyone of you consider signing Ronaldo as a "bad" deal. I mean the boy would have given us 4 great years + 25 - 30m profit. Tell me which player (which we had bought) would have given us better profit. Carrick? Rio? Rooney? Therefore why would you not want to sign someone like him?

Now lets change the subject. If Aaron Lennon was lets say Portuguese would you rate him in the same way you do? I much doubt it.

I believe that since we are not Chelsea, we should try to sign the best talent at the right prices. Lennon is good but at 20m he is a rip off. There is much better talent around at that price or even lower.

Cold_Boy

devilish said:
Bollocks.

A) Loyalty isnt tied with someone's nationality. There had been many loyal "foreigners" (Zola, Cantona, Henry and Ole to mention a few) in the EPL as much as there were English players who had betrayed the trust of their clubs and signed for someone else (Mcmanaman and Sol Campbell).

B) Lets say that Ronaldo leaves Manchester United during Summer would anyone of you consider signing Ronaldo as a "bad" deal. I mean the boy would have given us 4 great years + 25 - 30m profit. Would you not sign someone like him?

Now lets change the subject. If Aaron Lennon was lets say Portuguese would you rate him in the same way you do? I much doubt it.

I believe that we should try to sign the best talent and the right prices. Lennon is good but at 20m he is a rip off. There is much better talent around at that price or even lower.
Imo Lennon can improve a lot at United.I agree he has some flaws in his game and he would cost 25 mil pounds which is a rip off.But he is only 18 or 19.I am not saying we should not sign Nani.
Infact Sporting Lisbon want only 12 mil pounds for Nani.I would definitely sign Nani for 12 mil quids rather than Lennon for 25 mil .

red2deadboy

Barry Red said:
I don't often post in this forum, but here's one that's open to discussion...
I think the club's biggest transfer problem will be replacing Ryan Giggs when the time comes.

Forget the next Ruud van Nistelroy, there's plenty of top class strikers out there who would do well in our squad - Torres, Huntelaar, Berbatov etc. etc. etc. All the club has to do is splash the cash. I am more worried about replacing Giggsy. Quite simply I haven't seen anyone like him out there - there are plenty of skilful wingers, good attacking midfielders etc. but I haven't seen anyone as versatile as Ryan.

I know his hamstring problems seem to be under control but who knows what the future holds? Injuries take longer to heal when you are in your thirties and I really feel that the club ought to have some kind of fallback plan.
It's so simple - we add another 50mill to the clubs already huge debt and put Ronaldo on the left and Messi on the right :D

devilish

amit_onlymanutd said:
Imo Lennon can improve a lot at United.I agree he has some flaws in his game.But he is only 18 or 19.I am not saying we should not sign Nani.
Infact Sporting Lisbon want only 12 mil pounds for Nani.I would definitely sign Nani for 12 mil quids.
I have full faith in Lennon and if we were to sign him for lets say 8 - 10m then I would fully back such deal. But we all know that at that sum Tottenham would probably give us just his left boot and he is not worth 20m.

red2deadboy

If we fail to get Messi i think Hatem Ben Arfa or Ryan Babel would be good understudies as both are technically good and have pace to burn. Giggs has another 1 or 2 seasons in him so a young understudy would fit the bill just right instead of a replacement.

Cold_Boy

red2deadboy said:
If we fail to get Messi i think Hatem Ben Arfa or Ryan Babel would be good understudies as both are technically good and have pace to burn. Giggs has another 1 or 2 seasons in him so a young understudy would fit the bill just right instead of a replacement.
There is almost no chance of getting Messi.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Lets sign Messi to replace Giggs, Kaka to replace Scholes, and Buffon to replace VDS.

Easy.

red2deadboy

RedRonaldo said:
Lets sign Messi to replace Giggs, Kaka to replace Scholes, and Buffon to replace VDS.

Easy.

At last someone see's the logic in uying players you neither need or can afford! Leeds had it worked out years ago :devil:

DA2

All depends on what formation SAF sees being used for the next 4-5 years - whoever he is I dont think it should be a pure winger type (eg Overmars), has too be someone able to be on either wing if necessary and thru the middle - its gonna be tough but I do have a sneaking suspicion that SAF sees something in Bale that could be moulded.....

Barry Red

Ummm..... I rather think that some of you are not being entirely serious, which is why I rarely post here.

Only one person seemed to feel that players improve when they come to United and that is normally the case (although we could all think of some exceptions to that rule!!). And only one person took a look at players in the championship.

We all know about Ribery and Messi and Nani and a few other obvious candidates but I was hoping for nominations of some younger up-and-coming players. Isn't there anyone who has the potential to develop into the kind of player to replace Giggsy?

DocRockter

Let´s just wait and see if City is dropping another 14-16 year-old promising player from their academy(do they have one).. and pick him up.

I´d go for Lennon although he should gain some weight and go to the gym more often.. Ronaldo - XXX - Carrick - Lennon

KanieKaned

I don't often post in this forum, but here's one that's open to discussion...
I think the club's biggest transfer problem will be replacing Ryan Giggs when the time comes.

Forget the next Ruud van Nistelroy, there's plenty of top class strikers out there who would do well in our squad - Torres, Huntelaar, Berbatov etc. etc. etc. All the club has to do is splash the cash. I am more worried about replacing Giggsy. Quite simply I haven't seen anyone like him out there - there are plenty of skilful wingers, good attacking midfielders etc. but I haven't seen anyone as versatile as Ryan.

I know his hamstring problems seem to be under control but who knows what the future holds? Injuries take longer to heal when you are in your thirties and I really feel that the club ought to have some kind of fallback plan.
Ronaldo on the left buy a good right winger problem solved let them switch during matches to add to the headache

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
My God. Some seem to think we can just go out on the market, wave a bit of cash around and wheel a load of players back to the club. It is that easy......
Saying things like "Sign (ridiculously unrealistic player)" is stupid. Muppetry.

kanchelskis14

Ummm..... I rather think that some of you are not being entirely serious, which is why I rarely post here.

Only one person seemed to feel that players improve when they come to United and that is normally the case (although we could all think of some exceptions to that rule!!). And only one person took a look at players in the championship.

We all know about Ribery and Messi and Nani and a few other obvious candidates but I was hoping for nominations of some younger up-and-coming players. Isn't there anyone who has the potential to develop into the kind of player to replace Giggsy?
Ribery, Messi and Nani are young developing players.

rrarraroon

youth team player
If the reports of Nani's price are correct and he is really at most 13.5m, I cannot see why we wouldn't go for him. Would be the perfect sub for Giggsy after an hour or so, or vice versa.

Hargy, Hunter, Nani = 50m

I know everyone is pessimistic about signings, but we are showing so much promise, and if Ronnie commits, we can get that 50m back in no time.

I am actually most concerned about the OH drama. Bayern are fecking bitter and will be even more so if we put them out of Europe. IMO, Fergie needs to set his sights elsewhere and make Owen panic, which will in turn lead to a Bayern panic.