The Next Ryan Giggs?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Neil_Buchanan said:
Neigh.

Terrific squad player, not quite good enought to hold down a regular starting place at United.

Floyd

Escobar said:
He can either play as a right or left winger (for France, he played on the right because Zidane was more on the left) but for Marseille he's a left winger. But he can also play as an attacking midfielder, as he likes to run to the middle.
Thanks for that input.

How's he been this season? Any rumours about him leaving this summer? What do you reckon he would cost?

He's got Arsenal written all over him though.

Cold_Boy

Ribery is crap and vastly overrated.
Imo the one winger that could come close to replacing Giggs is Robben.But I know he is a cnut and Chelsea will never sell him.

Floyd

amit_onlymanutd said:
Ribery is crap and vastly overrated.
Imo the one winger that could come close to replacing Giggs is Robben.But I know he is a cnut and Chelsea will never sell him.
Have you seen Ribery for Marseille? I haven't. He was good for France in the WC, that's all I know. And that he's ugly.

Robben, yeah, wouldn't that be something. Won't happen mind.

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
has noone mentioned ricardo quaresema??

imagine the 2 of them in the same team like they used to be at sporting

Cold_Boy

Floyd said:
Have you seen Ribery for Marseille? I haven't. He was good for France in the WC, that's all I know. And that he's ugly.

Robben, yeah, wouldn't that be something. Won't happen mind.
Yes I have seen him quite a few times for Marseille .He is really over-rated. I would buy Lennon rather than Ribery. Imo Ribery is not much better than Malouda .

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
There is only one Ryan Giggs and that shall forever be the case. We are never ever going to find the next Giggs, there are however, very good players who are able to play his position.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
amit_onlymanutd said:
Yes I have seen him quite a few times for Marseille .He is really over-rated. I would buy Lennon rather than Ribery. Imo Ribery is not much better than Malouda .
Ribery is over-rated, too lightweight to survive in the premiership and a bit of a nutter.He is however, better than Malouda as an attacking player.The only way Spurs will sell Lennon to us will be if the starting bid was £25mil. These portuguese guys Nani and Quaresma seem like more affordable options, I say sign the pair even if for a combined fee of £35mil, they will be a huge hit

Man-United

Eto'odinho said:
These portuguese guys Nani and Quaresma seem like more affordable options, I say sign the pair even if for a combined fee of £35mil, they will be a huge hit
Agree. Ronaldo and Nani as wingers for a few years would be fantastic.. Nani and Q both have the potential to be as good as Ronaldo. Nani is only 20 and Quaresma 23 or so.

SirOla

Deluded relationship expert
Barry Red said:
I don't often post in this forum, but here's one that's open to discussion...
I think the club's biggest transfer problem will be replacing Ryan Giggs when the time comes.

Forget the next Ruud van Nistelroy, there's plenty of top class strikers out there who would do well in our squad - Torres, Huntelaar, Berbatov etc. etc. etc. All the club has to do is splash the cash. I am more worried about replacing Giggsy. Quite simply I haven't seen anyone like him out there - there are plenty of skilful wingers, good attacking midfielders etc. but I haven't seen anyone as versatile as Ryan.

I know his hamstring problems seem to be under control but who knows what the future holds? Injuries take longer to heal when you are in your thirties and I really feel that the club ought to have some kind of fallback plan.
ronaldo is the new giggs. we dont need another giggs. we need a new Paul Scholes and a new Gary Neville. and a new Ruud. (if we need someone?)

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
marcus agrippa said:
Downing has one trick: drop the shoulder and beat the man. top class defenders cotton to that very easily. to be anywhere near Giggsy's class, he has to have more to him game than that.
Er no, top class defenders don't just learn to stop it, down the years theres been many players who are crossers rather then dribblers, it takes more then knowing that to stop them.

This past Monday was an example of a game where Downing would have perfectly suited us, we got the ball to the edge of Boros area and then got bogged down trying to pick holes through a flat back 8, with their defence that deep Downing would have killed them with his crosses.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Mozza said:
Er no, top class defenders don't just learn to stop it, down the years theres been many players who are crossers rather then dribblers, it takes more then knowing that to stop them.

This past Monday was an example of a game where Downing would have perfectly suited us, we got the ball to the edge of Boros area and then got bogged down trying to pick holes through a flat back 8, with their defence that deep Downing would have killed them with his crosses.
You can't really argue with this....IMO I'd buy Downing and Nani if it was possible... Just to have real variety on our flanks in addition to having Park and Ronaldo....

marcus agrippa

Mozza said:

i just don't agree with this.

like Ole said a while back, this United team is different: more players with pace and who can easily beat a man. a lot of the time, we don't even have many players in the box to feed off a cross (that's why we got rid of Ruud: he made us to predictable). Rooney drops off, Park may be ghosting in late, and often Saha has contributed to the play and is by definition not even in the area.

in our fullbacks we have very good crossers of the ball (Gary Neville and Heinze particularly). our wingers need not have to be. we don't play like that any more.

you are talking up Downing like he could even come close to Giggsy's class, when he could at best be a squad player. we already have a very decent one in Park.

Mainoldo said:
Quaresma the don!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PupBTymHGI

But him and Ronaldo are so similar i doubt they could ever play in the same team to good effect!! But our team would be a wing backs worst knightmare.
That was Fergie's dream a while back. I wonder why he abandoned it....Quaresma and Ronaldo on the flanks would have been some combo....still can be if Fergie so desires ever again....:drool:

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Mainoldo said:
Quaresma the don!!

But him and Ronaldo are so similar i doubt they could ever play in the same team to good effect!! But our team would be a wing backs worst knightmare.

Just watched that there and Quaresma seems to cut in an awful lot- like Ronnie when he joined us. Should be looking to get to the line more often to whip crosses in. Having said that i saw him play for Portugal u21 with Ronnie when Ronnie signed for us and Quaresma was by far the better player- pity bout Barcelona.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Mozza said:

How often does Downing do that in game?probably once every equinox. We don't need players who are good crossers of the ball, we need more players who can drive and stretch the opposition with pace and a sense of purpose.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
marcus agrippa said:
i just don't agree with this.

like Ole said a while back, this United team is different: more players with pace and who can easily beat a man. a lot of the time, we don't even have many players in the box to feed off a cross (that's why we got rid of Ruud: he made us to predictable). Rooney drops off, Park may be ghosting in late, and often Saha has contributed to the play and is by definition not even in the area.
Having no one in the box to recive a cross if theres someone in a crossing position is a bad thing, one of the reasons why I think Huntelaar would be more effective for our team then another player who does anything but.

in our fullbacks we have very good crossers of the ball (Gary Neville and Heinze particularly). our wingers need not have to be. we don't play like that any more.
You cant always expect your fullbacks to get up, they didn't get up with any regularity this past monday, even when the whole forward line were camped on the edge of the Boro area.

you are talking up Downing like he could even come close to Giggsy's class, when he could at best be a squad player. we already have a very decent one in Park.
Absolute rubbish about him being a squad player, as for his potential, its hard to judge just how good a player like Downing could be until he gets to a club like United.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Eto'odinho said:
How often does Downing do that in game?probably once every equinox. We don't need players who are good crossers of the ball, we need more players who can drive and stretch the opposition with pace and a sense of purpose.
Every single game

Why do we need more players to stretch the opposition around when we have Rooney and Ronaldo?

Having a sense of purpose would see us include a couple of players focused on taking advantage of Rooney and Ronaldo's work and get the ball in back of net, Downing is at his most dangerous when the opposition have been pushed back into their own area, a striker like Huntelaar would feed off that

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Eto'odinho said:

I disagree i've always rated Downing- i remember watching a boro match a couple of months back and i watched him in particular. He is very steady on the ball, rarely looses it and gets very wide when recieving the ball. The width he'd afford us would be priceless. In addition he doesnt take too much out of the ball preferring to play keep ball until a clear opportunity to get to the byeline presents itself. Granted he may not be the most charismatic or exciting player but he could be very effective- not to mention his crossing and dead ball skills. A quick David Beckham is the best way to describe him IMO.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
marcus agrippa said:
Mozza, i will not argue with you. i haven't the patience of the Rubberman, so i simply won't.

Downing will never be a United player, or SAF would have gone for him instead of Park. and thank the gods for that!
Downing would have cost atleast twice as much as Park so its not a simple choice of 1 or the other

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Mozza said:
Downing would have cost atleast twice as much as Park so its not a simple choice of 1 or the other
And his performances would have already made the fee worth it.

Nothing against Park but SAF got him as he was reasonably priced and had European experience (unless someone truly believes he was signed to raise the club's Far East profile). If Park had 2-3 years left on his contract, he'd have cost closer to 10m.

Figure Boro would probably want close to 15m for Downing, or a similar price that Spurs got for Carrick. But having two direct attacking wingers in the same mold without any defensive responbility would leave the club open to quick counter attacks. Downing can be groomed to be more defensively aware, being that he's not going to push into central midfield or the box ala Ronaldo (or Quaresma). Of course, if the club has two midfielders like Carrick and Hargreaves sitting deeper, then having two wingers in the Ronaldo mold would make for some interesting attacks. Either way, a player like Downing should excel at United. Especially with Saha, Ronaldo, Vidic and a few others abilities to head on crosses and set pieces. It's not like Ruud was the only player that can get int the box to receive a cross or pass.

I'd much rather have Downing taking corners and long free kicks into the box than our current takers.

Mozza said:
Having no one in the box to recive a cross if theres someone in a crossing position is a bad thing, one of the reasons why I think Huntelaar would be more effective for our team then another player who does anything but..
There in lies the problem with signing a Downing. We would have to sign a Hunterlaar too. I feel we are better of with the style we have. We just need an upgrade of Saha and another right winger of Ronaldo's calibre....

MrMarcello said:
And his performances would have already made the fee worth it.

Nothing against Park but SAF got him as he was reasonably priced and had European experience (unless someone truly believes he was signed to raise the club's Far East profile). If Park had 2-3 years left on his contract, he'd have cost closer to 10m.

Figure Boro would probably want close to 15m for Downing, or a similar price that Spurs got for Carrick. But having two direct attacking wingers in the same mold without any defensive responbility would leave the club open to quick counter attacks. Downing can be groomed to be more defensively aware, being that he's not going to push into central midfield or the box ala Ronaldo (or Quaresma). Of course, if the club has two midfielders like Carrick and Hargreaves sitting deeper, then having two wingers in the Ronaldo mold would make for some interesting attacks. Either way, a player like Downing should excel at United. Especially with Saha, Ronaldo, Vidic and a few others abilities to head on crosses and set pieces. It's not like Ruud was the only player that can get int the box to receive a cross or pass.

I'd much rather have Downing taking corners and long free kicks into the box than our current takers.
makes sense that

Joe W

At old trafford to see united....take me home unit
marcus agrippa said:
Downing wouldn't come anywhere near filling Giggsy's boots.
Who would fill Giggsys boots? No-one said Downing was as good as Giggs anyway.

Vicente would be perfect if you ask me. Messi would be amazing but no way that'll happen. Same with Rosicky. Lennon isn't overrated, but he is overpriced.

Cold_Boy

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
There in lies the problem with signing a Downing. We would have to sign a Hunterlaar too. I feel we are better of with the style we have. We just need an upgrade of Saha and another right winger of Ronaldo's calibre....
Yes thats the kind of striker we need.A Saha type player with much better finishing.

Cold_Boy

Joe W said:
Who would fill Giggsys boots? No-one said Downing was as good as Giggs anyway.

Vicente would be perfect if you ask me. Messi would be amazing but no way that'll happen. Same with Rosicky. Lennon isn't overrated, but he is overpriced.
Rosicky is not even a winger.He is a central midfielder who can play as a winger.Our strength has always been out and out wingers.
And yes Vicente would be absolutely brilliant!

Floyd

Mainoldo said:
Quaresma the don!!

Feck me, he plays exactly like Ronaldo. Looks like a strong bugger too, like Ronaldo.