The Next Ryan Giggs?

RODDERS

I'd be really suprised if SAF didnt choose a left-footed player for the left wing, although Ronaldo can play there, he's at his best on the right IMO. So I think those talking about Lennon, Ribery etc. are a bit wide of the mark. I think Downing is actually a more realistic option, despite the complaints of the England-flag-waving idiots who'll boo someone at the drop of a hat (the same ones saying the Hargreaves is a key-man for England/United 6 months after booing him coming on)

rrarraroon

youth team player
although Ronaldo can play there, he's at his best on the right IMO.
I think you will change your mind if you take a look at the goals he has scored/created on the left vs. the right. IMHO, he only plays on the right to accommodate Giggs, and still we see Giggs moving out right when we really need goals.

eric le roi

To be honest i don't think Giggs will be any where near our hardest to replace of our golden generation. Nothing like Keane and Scholes. With Giggs i reckon it's just a case of it being expensive, but should we have the cash, then just buy one of the world's best wingers or most promising and we'll be alright i reckon. Buy Robben, we'll be fine. Buy Lennon, we'll be fine. That kinda thing. A job like running up and down the wing and crossing the ball isn't like a central role where you have to come in and be the heart of the team. If we get someone fast enough, skillfull enough and productive enough, they can do it.
It is much harder to beat a man than to play in the middle and spray passes about.

jbuuty

I'm not certain that you actually replace players like Giggs, or Scholes, or Keane. It is probably bad for the team even. Players don't come from molds and neither do teams. When a great and creative player leaves a team, what needs to happen for the team to succeed is for the team to change and adapt to a different style of play. The change in style doesn't need to be dramatic, but there has to be a change to adapt to the new creative forces in the team.

There is no Giggs mold out there. Getting another good-to-great winger will do the job.

reddevilcanada

I don't often post in this forum, but here's one that's open to discussion...
I think the club's biggest transfer problem will be replacing Ryan Giggs when the time comes.

Forget the next Ruud van Nistelroy, there's plenty of top class strikers out there who would do well in our squad - Torres, Huntelaar, Berbatov etc. etc. etc. All the club has to do is splash the cash. I am more worried about replacing Giggsy. Quite simply I haven't seen anyone like him out there - there are plenty of skilful wingers, good attacking midfielders etc. but I haven't seen anyone as versatile as Ryan.

I know his hamstring problems seem to be under control but who knows what the future holds? Injuries take longer to heal when you are in your thirties and I really feel that the club ought to have some kind of fallback plan.
Nani, my friend, is the answer to your question. the black version of cristiano ronaldo and will certianly make ronaldo want to stay here much longer.

Vlad

If he continues to play like that and confirms next season, then I'd go for Aaron Lennon.

Robben is very good but he is injury prone.