The no signings excuse is sad

Santoryo

ripping the reward
But Spurs had an excellent defence and the rest of it anyway built up over two or three seasons so they had no need for new players.
Funny enough the past few season we've had the best defence in the league alongside Spurs yet ours seem to have imploded while Spurs have only build on.

No to mention the manager has spent decent money on CB 2 windows running. It should have been sorted by now. We don't grow money on trees to perpetually spend money in 1 area.

CA_vampire

It is not sad, it is true.

Our 4 center backs did terrible mistakes in the past two games. It does not matter who the manager is, or who the opposition is, these mistakes show that these guys are not world class. This has been proven again and again. These guys are not world class. I don't want to say that they are shit, but they are definitely not the good enough for a top team. You can't really have a top team without one or two world class CBs, it's quite simple.

Njord

Our squad:

Last chapter of their career: Grant, Valencia, Young, Matic, Fellaini, Mata, Sanchez

Staying? Pogba, Martial, Shaw

Good enough? Bailly, Jones, Lindelöf, Fred, Rashford, Darmian, Smalling, Rojo, Herrera

Those that look certain to be long term contributors, and to be staying, are only Lingard and Lukaku, and they are hardly world-class either.

So it seems we need more signings, but I doubt buying more short term solutions are the answer.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Spurs are also bank rolling a near billion pound stadium build with costs spiralling out of control.

Their team was and is a very good team. Their manager in 2018 is probably more talented than Jose Mourinho. Jose Mourinho did need more than what he got this summer, this cannot be denied and ultimately will be one of the excuses attached to his inevitable demise.

They shouldn't have backed him with the contract if they weren't going to see it through. Can't proclaim to be the biggest corporation in football and run dry at Fred and Dalot.

shaky

The game could have turned out much different if Alderweireld was wearing a Utd top instead of a Spurs top tonight. That looked clear as day to me.

R'hllor

Wait why rating so highly Tottenham defense, our defensive record last season was good, right? At least thats what was shouted and those who would mention DDG as a reason why, they would mock shout "Oh GK doing his job, what a shocker".

Zlatattack

shit + shit = shitter.

If we had Tottenhams side we'd probably not need to improve that much either. We don't we have our shit show. Their team is balanced and doesn't have any positions which is are clearly weak. We have CB, RB (look past Shaws form and LB), RW are gaping weaknesses.

The only similarity we really have is that neither side has a decent backup striker.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Because Spurs bring in players for the manager. Lindelof and Pogba were club signings. Mou needs his own players.
Huh? I could understand saying Pogba was a club signing but Lindelof? You would think that was a Mourinho signing since he was signed from Benfica.

spwd

What about the two he had bought?
Ffs, I keep seeing this and it pisses me off, if anything Jose should be praised for actually realising he fecked up buying Lindelof, he realises hes shit so he wanted a more experienced defender in to help the rest, just because we bought him doesn’t mean we cant fecking realise hes shit and want to improve by replacing him.

Loon

:lol:
He fecked up his purchases. So did Pep, so did Fergie. The difference is those squads were good enough to absorb the dross.

This one needs a lot of work.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The "no signings" excuse is terrible when most of his signings are playing terribly. All of them, at the same time, playing like shit isn't a coincidence.

Aloysius's Back 3

Why not play a back 3 if all out defenders are bad? Nope he plays herrera in there instead :lol:

Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Lindelof and unfortunately Blind - may have had problems in a back 2; but these are problems that are taken away by playing a back 3!

Same with upfront. Martial & Rashford upfront but he plays lingard and then fellaini instead.

It's got nothing to do about transfers - Jose would just try to buy his ideal 4231 rather than actually manage the club, players and squad at his disposal.

end thread/

The Purley King

shit + shit = shitter.

If we had Tottenhams side we'd probably not need to improve that much either. We don't we have our shit show. Their team is balanced and doesn't have any positions which is are clearly weak. We have CB, RB (look past Shaws form and LB), RW are gaping weaknesses.

The only similarity we really have is that neither side has a decent backup striker.
So why the feck has Jose not signed a rw?
He’s signed 2 cbs who look average at best although I think there is hope for Bailly.
It’s Jose’s team now. No excuses.

NinjaFletch

What about the two he had bought?
They're trash, obviously. No one is arguing that.

It's just amusing watching everyone act like the man who refused to remedy the situation is blameless whilst the man who recognised it was an issue takes all the flack.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Wait why rating so highly Tottenham defense, our defensive record last season was good, right? At least thats what was shouted and those who would mention DDG as a reason why, they would mock shout "Oh GK doing his job, what a shocker".
The past 2 or 3 season we've had the best defence in the league alongside Spurs, this is actually backed by stats.

Last season we also finished higher than Spurs, had a better season than them overall(beside them playing better football than ours). Yet here we are with out defense looking completely hopeless all of a sudden while Spurs have shown stability and improvement.

Who do point fingers at in this case? Players or the man in charge of them?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If only Jose could sign a new CB each summer for the next 5 years we may win something
This:lol:

It's Jose's approach that is the main culprit. It didn't just start this season, it's been there throughout his tenure.
Ed may be a dick but you can't keep throwing money away like that seeing as some of Jose's purchases show that his judgment is somewhat flawed.

spiriticon

They're trash, obviously. No one is arguing that.

It's just amusing watching everyone act like the man who refused to remedy the situation is blameless whilst the man who recognised it was an issue takes all the flack.
The defence was an issue since before the manager joined and he was the one who failed to rectify the issue after 2 years here. I mean, it doesn't matter who we buy. We could have gotten Varane and he'd still be shit because Jose does not get the most out of players anyway.

Bearded One

Last year we said the only reason why we were not really in a title challenge was because of the City spending gap. We like to mention money when we compare ourselves with them but when we compare ourselves with Pool, Spurs, Chelsea, etc the money argument flies out through the window. Double standards is what I call it. I really wonder what our excuse will be this time around. At least we got Fred this summer, Spurs got Dr. Nobody.

We always try to point how crap our team is despite having players like De Gea, Matic, Pogba, Sanchez among others. Players that will start jn most epl teams.

Spurs didn't have need to sign players is also a myth. They have not won anything with about the same set of players whilst their competitors (including some that consistently finish ahead of them) keep improving every season.

Simply put they look more purposeful in their dealings than us. We seem to prefer the scatter gun approach. Truth be told, I am tired of Mou.

Nori-

The 2nd highest spending manager in the league and actually has the cheek to use the no new signings excuse.

If the signings he purchased before are not doing the job, why should anyone believe the new signings will? It's truly pathetic.

ravi2

Spurs didn't need anyone. They have tons of players and quality all over the field. United don't. That's the difference. Players aren't good enough and that's the owners fault.
/thread

Im surprised people cannot see this basic fact

Josep Dowling

It’s a valid excuse for me.

But that isn’t the sole issue.

It’s who we have already signed and haven’t worked out.

It’s about players who we haven’t targeted which have gone to rivals.

It’s the fact we have kept players who have never been good enough since they joined. Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Fellaini, Mata, Smalling should have already been sold. Lindelof is slowing adding himself to that list.

The clear issues between board and manager.

The issue of our best players not pulling their weight.

The lack of confidence in the entire squad.

The lack of stability in squad formation and selection by the manager. It constantly changes after a bad result.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just in case this is not sarcasm: two of those CBs are his fault.
He bought Lindelof and Baily.
Its still early days of Lindelof, while Bailly was great up until the injury ruined them. SAF lead us for 20 years+ and he was able to find just 3 WC CBs. Some forget that he likened Wallwork to Bruce, he thought that Wes is worth double Rio is worth, he preferred to keep Evans over Pique and gave games to Blanc, Prunier and Mickey.

VanGaalyTime

/thread

Im surprised people cannot see this basic fact
It's ridiculous isn't it? Look, Spurs didn't buy anyone because they have better players than United in almost every position except goalkeeper. They didn't need to buy to stay in the Champions League places. United needed to buy to improve the team. And didn't. The Glazers and Woodward are to blame. Yes, Mourinho has made some mistakes in terms of how he treats people. But we only conceded 9 goals at Old Trafford last year. That was because Mourinho wanted to play defensively to build a foundation. This year, he wanted to open the team up more, to capitalize on our attacking assets. We clearly can't do that without a quality defender or two. And so despite playing some good attacking football in the first half here, and in the Leicester game, I think we'll go back to the 1-0 mindset with a deep-lying defence until we buy in the required quality.

ravi2

It's ridiculous isn't it? Look, Spurs didn't buy anyone because they have better players than United in almost every position except goalkeeper. They didn't need to buy to stay in the Champions League places. United needed to buy to improve the team. And didn't. The Glazers and Woodward are to blame. Yes, Mourinho has made some mistakes in terms of how he treats people. But we only conceded 9 goals at Old Trafford last year. That was because Mourinho wanted to play defensively to build a foundation. This year, he wanted to open the team up more, to capitalize on our attacking assets. We clearly can't do that without a quality defender or two. And so despite playing some good attacking football in the first half here, and in the Leicester game, I think we'll go back to the 1-0 mindset with a deep-lying defence until we buy in the required quality.

I think Woodward needs to go, Jose can stay if the board is prepared to back him.
You either back the manager or sack the manager, there is no middle ground

VanGaalyTime

Huh? I could understand saying Pogba was a club signing but Lindelof? You would think that was a Mourinho signing since he was signed from Benfica.
I know the logic behind your thought, but stories from inside the club, even at the time, said Lindelof was considered a "value signing" compared to the alternatives.

Apokalips

People harping on about lack of new signings and jumping Ed's throat make me laugh, especially after today's game.

Tottenham who didn't sign anyone and finished below us last season are showing improvement and looking a far better team than they were last season yet here we are trying to excuse our incompetence on lack of signings.

We didn't lose any players and should be able to show improvement with the same players from last seasons. Tottenham have shown that this signing story is a myth and just a sad excuse brought up.
Wholeheartedly agree. This obsession with signings is stupid. We have spent a ton more than Spurs over the last few years and we finished above them last season. We lost to BRIGHTON last week! A manager's first job is to coach his players and get the most out of them and Jose is failing to do so.

MooseTheMooche

Crying about needing more signings when we spend hundreds of millions every summer is embarrassing. Delusional. Something is wrong somewhere - player recruitment, management...
I'd add that there is no ruthlessness in this club. 3/4 of this team should have been long gone, we are oozing mediocrity in almost every position.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
People harping on about lack of new signings and jumping Ed's throat make me laugh, especially after today's game.

Tottenham who didn't sign anyone and finished below us last season are showing improvement and looking a far better team than they were last season yet here we are trying to excuse our incompetence on lack of signings.

We didn't lose any players and should be able to show improvement with the same players from last seasons. Tottenham have shown that this signing story is a myth and just a sad excuse brought up.
There is nothing dumber than citing Tottenham to try and debunk the blame on Woodward. Spurs did not have a squad with no right backs and no right winge nor A dearth of a top quality experienced comanding center halves to help bring through the potential of Bailly and Lindeloff.

Nadger

Supports
Spurs
Last year we said the only reason why we were not really in a title challenge was because of the City spending gap. We like to mention money when we compare ourselves with them but when we compare ourselves with Pool, Spurs, Chelsea, etc the money argument flies out through the window. Double standards is what I call it. I really wonder what our excuse will be this time around. At least we got Fred this summer, Spurs got Dr. Nobody.

We always try to point how crap our team is despite having players like De Gea, Matic, Pogba, Sanchez among others. Players that will start jn most epl teams.

Spurs didn't have need to sign players is also a myth. They have not won anything with about the same set of players whilst their competitors (including some that consistently finish ahead of them) keep improving every season.

Simply put they look more purposeful in their dealings than us. We seem to prefer the scatter gun approach. Truth be told, I am tired of Mou.
Which teams are these?

Teams who’ve finished ahead of Spurs last 3 seasons:

2017/18 Man C, Man Utd
2016/17 Chelsea
2015/16 Leicester, Arsenal

Not a lot of consistency there.

cantaldo

tbh many of the other clubs around us haven't really made great strides in player recruitment this summer aside from maybe liverpool, without spiralling out of control

Santoryo

ripping the reward
There is nothing dumber than citing Tottenham to try and debunk the blame on Woodward. Spurs did not have a squad with no right backs and no right winge nor A dearth of a top quality experienced comanding center halves to help bring through the potential of Bailly and Lindeloff.
So how did their squad ended up finishing below us last season and generally have a worst season than ours?

Fast forward from that, we actually even added another player for decent money while they had no activity this summer yet we end up looking worse then them.

Now tell me what sounds dumber than ignoring factual arguments backed with proof while burying one's head in the sand and straw grasping at every single excuse that pops up in your head

crossy1686

career ending
What's worse than no signing's is that there's still shite at our club that were told they could go years ago. Now we've got to fecking play them because we're out of options! #novalueinthemarket

Jezpeza

Yeah it’s sad.
How on earth have we been keeping Jones, Rojo, Shaw, Mata, Fellaini and Darmian from the clutches of Bayern, Real, Barcelona and PSG? Just astounds me. We’re so lucky to still have them all and I just don’t see why we didn’t thump spurs 6 - 0 tonight with them at our disposal. Mourinho has to go that will just solve everything