The OFF TOPIC Berbatov thread (used to be 'Berbatov Wants Move')

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
we'd face more competition in getting benzema vs. market for berbatov.

benzema is THE hottest 19/20 year old striker in europe. every big club in all three major leagues wll be gunning for him.

i like berbatov, reminds me of sheringham (one of my fav playrs ever), but if we are going to spunk 20 million on berbatov, i'd rather we added 5 million or so and make a run for ibrahimovic, who is similar but better.
Chelsea and Real asked Inter how much they wanted for Ibra, Inter answered £70 million.

VoetbalWizard

So was Rooney four years before that and where did he end up? Manchester United. It's possible.
where is rooney from? the nw and he most probably will never want to leave the nw. doesn't exactly strike me as the cosmopolitan lad. Take hughes vs. lineker. Hughes hated it overseas and wanted to come back, lineker adapted well overseas. So even if madrid or milan came in for rooney at 18, i'm 99% sure he would've rejected, holding out for utd to come in.

Benzema is a continental player and would not have the same self-imposed barriers to moves to other countries besides england.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Benzema is a continental player and would not have the same self-imposed barriers to moves to other countries besides england.
Podolski stayed in Germany when he was the hottest under 21 player around. Benzema may prefer England to Spain or Italy. I honestly don't care though. Every month there's a new "top rated under 21 player" thread.

Alex

Podolski stayed in Germany when he was the hottest under 21 player around. Benzema may prefer England to Spain or Italy. I honestly don't care though. Every month there's a new "top rated under 21 player" thread.
Podolski sucks in all fairness, had a decent World Cup as a host, after playing in Germany's second divisionm hasnt set Bayern alight either

Alex

I thought Aguero was better than Benzema?
I rate Aguerro higher since he plays in the Spanish league, where as Benzema plays for the only decent side in France, I still need to see more from Benzema, aguerro is already certain to be a star

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Podolski sucks in all fairness, had a decent World Cup as a host, after playing in Germany's second divisionm hasnt set Bayern alight either
Well he did lift Cologne to the Bundesliga and did his best to keep them up in 05/06 (they dropped). He didn't fare too well in his first season at Bayern, also suffering a nasty ankle injury and missing a couple months overall. He's doing ok this season. You also can't overlook that he's scored 24 national team goals in 44 matches. And to be called up to his national team as a teenager playing in the second division is something special. Not a terrible player at all.

VoetbalWizard

The best german players get bought out by bayern munich very quickly (who are a huge club in and of itself). Compare how many french internationals are in different leagues vs. german internationals. German, english, and italian internationals stay in their respective countries for the most part. Dutch and french players don't, and play in many more different leagues. Fact is, benzema will be targeted and possibly interested in many more teams than berbatov, podolski, rooney.

Re aguero, he is very good but i feel the benzema's raw athleticism possibly leads to higher potential. Seems to me like the modern day prototypical french striker...blistering pace, power, skills, great shot, just overall a handful to deal with. With aguero, you are always going to have skeptics who are going to say he's too small to play in the premiership for 38 matches.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Spurs scouts plan for life without Berbatov
Last updated at 22:57pm on 31.12.07

Tottenham have launched their search for Dimitar Berbatov's replacement, with Manchester United determined to beat any rival bid for the Bulgarian.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been given all the encouragement he needed to launch a January move for Berbatov after the striker's agent, Emil Dantchev, admitted that the player wants to 'play for a club that can match his ambition'.

While Spurs chairman Daniel But now that signs are emerging that Tottenham's resolve is weakening, Ferguson is determined to be at the head of the queue for his top target.

Dantchev's admission that two clubs from outside the Barclays Premier League are also on the trail of Berbatov will mean Ferguson must act fast if he is to finally get his man.

Manchester City are also understood to be keen on Berbatov, but despite chairman Thaksin Shinawatra's millions, the Bulgarian's clear preference is Old Trafford.

However, competition from the likes of AC Milan, Inter Milan and Real Madrid is sure to drive up the price.

In addition, Levy's reputation for driving a hard bargain — he managed to prise £18.6million out of United for Michael Carrick 18 months ago— will mean Ferguson will have to dig deep if he is to fend off the competition.

Levy will be looking for a healthy profit on the player who cost £10.9m when he moved from Bayer Leverkusen, with a fee in the region of £25m the target.

But Ferguson's desire to add the skill and guile of Berbatov — who scored four goals in the 6-4 win against Reading on Saturday — to his already formidable forward line is such that he is determined to outbid even Europe's biggest clubs.

Levy insisted on Sunday that Spurs are 'not a selling club', behind the scenes the north London club are preparing for life without Berbatov. Tottenham's army of European scouts have been handed the unenviable task of finding a replacement by sporting director Damien Comolli — news that will be music to the ears of Ferguson.

The United boss had feared that Spurs would not be willing to sell in January under any circumstances.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport...life+without+Berbatov/article.do?ito=newsnow&

REd FUn DevIl

I thought Aguero was better than Benzema?
I rate Aguerro higher since he plays in the Spanish league, where as Benzema plays for the only decent side in France, I still need to see more from Benzema, aguerro is already certain to be a star
We dont need another striker in that mood, we already have Rooney and Tevez, Aguero is the same height of Tevez. Benzema is taller and has something different in his game, he is absolutely something apart from what we have at the moment and the same goes for Berbatov.

Both will cost too much but if we are to get any of those i'll go with Berbs cause he has everything with experience on Champions and the Premier.

BlahRules

We dont need another striker in that mood, we already have Rooney and Tevez, Aguero is the same height of Tevez. Benzema is taller and has something different in his game, he is absolutely something apart from what we have at the moment and the same goes for Berbatov.

Both will cost too much but if we are to get any of those i'll go with Berbs cause he has everything with experience on Champions and the Premier.
Have to agree Berbatov has the added Prem and Champions League experience that parts from other strikers, and plus his tall and ugly.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Chelsea To Pip Man Utd To Berbatov

Declarations from Berbatov's agent yesterday stating that the striker wanted to move to a club that could match his ambitions have sent the rumour mills spinning.

“If a club that corresponds to Dimitar’s class and ambition comes in with an offer that suits his current club in January, he would like to be allowed to go,” Emil Dantchev had said.

The Manchester Evening News subsequently reported that Manchster United were planning a £25m million bid for the Bulgarian, who has been unsettled since the start of the season despite scoring regularly.

A report in The Sun now claims that Chelsea - arguably in more desperate need of a front man - are ready to splash out £26m to beat The Red Devils.

Bolton's Nicolas Anelka was initially the number one target for The Blues, but the Frenchman is now supposed to be a back-up choice.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has insistsed that they are not welcoming bids, “We are not a selling club, rather we are building for the future. When we have players on long contracts we have no need to entertain offers,” but speculation continues.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=531531

kanchelskis14

Definetly seems to be something in this one. And usually, when the player wants to come too, we usually end up getting our man. I'd love for us to land Benzema personally, he's going to make some top club very happy over the next decade. That said, berbatov is a fantastic player, i just hope his age is reflected in any pricetag we may have to pay though.

Sam

It's obvious what will happen, throughout January there will be article after article reporting that we will be signing him, but come the the end of the window, no transfer will have taken place, he'll remain at Spurs until the Summer, and we will get on with what we have. We will not be signing him this January, and you can quote me on that. Come the Summer window, well that's a different a different kettle of fish.....

Wes

It's obvious what will happen, throughout January there will be article after article reporting that we will be signing him, but come the the end of the window, no transfer will have taken place, he'll remain at Spurs until the Summer, and we will get on with what we have. We will not be signing him this January, and you can quote me on that. Come the Summer window, well that's a different a different kettle of fish.....
thats a very likely outcome, really.

kanchelskis14

Possibly, maybe even probably right. That said, i've learned by now to not pretend to know what we are going to do with regards to transfers. The summer taught us that. I read several 'you can quote me, we won't be signing Anderson' or Nani or Tevez even. Little or no basis of course. We'll see what happens basically, although i wouldn't be suprised if your outcome arose.

Sjarkus

What concerns me the most, isn't if the transfer is going to take place in January(k14 told me it's a done deal), it's what squad number should be assigned to Berby Boy. Personally, I think we should drop a bottle of champagne on Saha's foot, therefore making him unable to play football for eternal time, thus freeing up the number 9-shirt for Berbs. To be honest, it doesn't do it for me while wanking with a mental picture of him having any other number than 9 on his back. It just doesn't turn me on. I would gladly sacrifice Louis(although I did wank when we first signed him from Fulham) for this to come true.

Having said that, this story is obviously bull.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we're going to get Berbatov in the window, we will play way too much than he's actually worth. Berbatov is imo too overrated and overpriced

Hellboy

I'm convinced he'll play for us one day, obviously next summer, but I just can't see us buying him this month after splashing out millions and millions on Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves, Tevez ...

Ekeke

If we do have £25 million to spend, he'd be a great addition. But the signing of Manucho could be a sign that we dont have much cash right now. Remember that Nani and Anderson's signings were to kill off interest in them from other clubs. It might just be that those on running transfer fees are coming from new summer's transfer kitty and we dont have a huge amount of cash to dump on a Berbatov.

However, win the league and I'm sure we'll be given the money to sign him - no matter how much Spurs demand.

Marcus

Recently, United only sign young players with potential and resale value... So Berbatov as a depreciating asset does not quite seem to fit the bill.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's obvious what will happen .... there will be article after article reporting that we will be signing him, but come the the end of the window, no transfer will have taken place, he'll remain at Spurs ....
No different then from what's been happening almost every month since he first arrived at Spurs.

I've already given my view that Berbatov will not be leaving this January (and I stand by that completely), but I have a question for United fans. Let's assume that Berbatov would cost 25m in a straight cash deal this month: do United have this much spare cash given your debts, the massive amount you spent last summer and the further cash that will be needed to keep Tevez?

PS. Happy New Year to one and all.

Spoony

The People's President
we only spent around 18m net(If that). But obviously you'll bore us all again claiming the opposite. So, yes, there should be more than enough cash.