Television The Office, US Version

forevrared

I'm holding out hope that something will happen in the time between the finale and next season that will end with her leaving. They have a habit of doing things that way.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Thought the last episode was one of the worst in recent weeks (when it hasn't actually been too bad of late). The ending Dwight + Angela aside was pretty bad.

I think we may have seen the last of Nellie even if she has been given a job, it doesn't necessarily mean she has a job. Let's not forget Timothy Olyphant's character still works for Dunder Mifflin.

Brophs

The One and Only
Hopefully they can shoot her from a cannon into the sun.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I loved the crazy James Spader. They could have made him go crazy after one or two episodes this season. Would have been great. And Neillie would never exist!

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Okay, I need to know if I am just being plain dense. My friend recommended The US Office to me so I gave it a few watches. I'd never even seen The UK Office before. I found the US version watchable, but really didn't think it was anything special. I couldn't really put my finger on why. It was just a bit typically American, flimsy and lazy humour.

Then very recently I watched The UK Office and I thought it was fecking brilliant. It is now so obvious to me why the US one sucks and that's because the main character, Brents' equivalent, just doesn't work at all as a character. Steve Carells' character just comes across as a complete weirdo with no real obvious traits.

What makes the UK office so good is the tiny gestures and the consistency of it all - especially with David Brent. You can laugh at his behaviour because it makes sense, and he's an obvious moron. With Carell you just don't get that, it's unclear what the point of him is.

Cina

How far in did you get? The first season is only six episodes long and basically a carbon copy of the UK one, so it's a bit shit. It's only around mid season two that it kicks off and comes into its own, and seasons three, four and to a lesser extent five are brilliant. By then you forget all about its relations to the UK Office because it's just a totally different show.

Oh, Office watchers, next season will be its last, thankfully.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
To be honest I'm not sure what I watched, I just caught 4-5 episodes on Comedy Central some time. You are right in that it is a totally different show. I think subtle comedy just doesn't appeal to the US audience, or even get produced correctly as they don't really get it. The humour has to be extreme and in-your-face. Actually I did catch the first two episodes of the US version, and did in fact notice the carbon copy nature of it. It seemed relatively poorly acted, probably because the dry subtle humour of it goes straight over their head. Speaking of which, it's very noticeable that Carell has had some kind of hair transplant when you watch the old ones. :lol:

That said, I did find it pretty watch-able. Just not in the same league for me as the UK version.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
How far in did you get? The first season is only six episodes long and basically a carbon copy of the UK one, so it's a bit shit. It's only around mid season two that it kicks off and comes into its own, and seasons three, four and to a lesser extent five are brilliant. By then you forget all about its relations to the UK Office because it's just a totally different show.

Oh, Office watchers, next season will be its last, thankfully.
The peak of the show was from the beginning of season 2 until the episode where Stringer Bell got introduced in season 5.

Thank god for that. I've been watching out of stubbornness since Carell left and it has become quite horrible. There's still the Dwight spinoff, isn't there?

FlawlessThaw

Hope they bring back Carell for the series finale. Think it would be great to end it with him and Holly getting married.

Cina

That said, I did find it pretty watch-able. Just not in the same league for me as the UK version.
You need to ignore the UK version, because in its own way it is just as good a comedy as is from seasons two to five, they really don't share any similarities other than the name and premise once it gets to that stage. Michael Scott also turns into a completely different character to David Brent.

Give it another shot, a few episodes into season two you won't regret doing so.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Okay, I need to know if I am just being plain dense. My friend recommended The US Office to me so I gave it a few watches. I'd never even seen The UK Office before. I found the US version watchable, but really didn't think it was anything special. I couldn't really put my finger on why. It was just a bit typically American, flimsy and lazy humour.

Then very recently I watched The UK Office and I thought it was fecking brilliant. It is now so obvious to me why the US one sucks and that's because the main character, Brents' equivalent, just doesn't work at all as a character. Steve Carells' character just comes across as a complete weirdo with no real obvious traits.

What makes the UK office so good is the tiny gestures and the consistency of it all - especially with David Brent. You can laugh at his behaviour because it makes sense, and he's an obvious moron. With Carell you just don't get that, it's unclear what the point of him is.
That would probably help. Dime a dozen show.

kps88

I think the last two seasons have actually made me forgotten what The Office used to be like when it was good.

Brophs

The One and Only
Why have they made Catherine Tate a regular character? Why have they brought in this guy?

Is it because he looks slightly like Dwight? I've seen him in a couple of things where he's been cast as a ladies man. Much like Jason Sudeikis he must have the right people in his corner, despite being rubbish, unfunny and having a face with the characteristics of melted cheese.

Cina

I don't mind him that much, but yeah, it really annoys me how Tate is a regular, they're trying so hard to make her a likable character now, but it's impossible, because it's her herself that wrecks my fecking head.

kps88

I think the more pertinent question we need to be asking is why are we all still watching it? It's terrible. And they've decided to give more screen time to what can only be described as the worst character in television history.

What's wrong with us? :(

Cina

Meh, it's the last season so I'll probably continue til the end.

Art

Art the artist
Why have they made Catherine Tate a regular character? Why have they brought in this guy?

Is it because he looks slightly like Dwight? I've seen him in a couple of things where he's been cast as a ladies man. Much like Jason Sudeikis he must have the right people in his corner, despite being rubbish, unfunny and having a face with the characteristics of melted cheese.
Damien is in the office?

Wittmann45

Its like they have have enough material and storylines for about 2 or 3 episodes but their trying to stretch it into a full season. The episode didn't really go anywhere. If the cute secretary and the new kid are going to feck, seriously, get it over with, it's boring now. If it is Dwight's baby, the reveal would have been a lot funnier a season ago.

That being said, I thought the episode was alright, nothing special, but I got a few laughs...

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Jumped the shark when Will Ferrell appeared on the show. It was already declining at that point but that was a nail in the coffin. It's still very watchable but I don't care about a single character anymore.

kps88

I recently caught a few older episodes, one of them was where Michael thought an insurance salesman was part of the mob. Such a huge difference in quality, I can't watch the new episodes after that.

Eboue

Right so I just watched last night's episode and realized how much I hate all of the characters. Erin is alright but she's not actually a realistic person so it's hard to feel much of anything about her. The rest of them can get fecked. Jim and Pam are such horrible self-satisfied twats and even Darryl has turned into an unlikable douche. Everyone is just so despicable.

Castia

Not many episodes left now is there. Just hope it finishes well Iv loved this show over the years it will be a shame if it goes out being terrible.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
The writing of Andy has been extremely weird this season. Last season they made him boss and virtually every episode was about painting him as the good guy, with a nice resolution for him at the end. Then this season they've just done a complete U-turn on him and made him into a villain of the show. Even when he was a bit part character when he first joined the show he was never a full on asshole as he's been written to be in series 9.

I realise him being out filming The Hangover has meant they've had to get rid of his character for like a 1/3 of the season, but its almost like they're punishing him for filming during the season and making his character as unlikeable as possible.

I still think the Office is watchable though, albeit with a very sensible decision to wrap things up this season. It's really suffered from a lack of direction since Michael Scott left. It wasn't as good as the earlier seasons even when he left but there were still a fair few very funny episodes right up to his departure in season 7. Now they just seem to start story arcs without a resolution, have them going on aimlessly (Seriously this Daryl and Val thing? It just seems to start up and stop at random points), or hastily rushes through them (The Oscar and Angela story in particular).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Haven't watched the latest episode but I agree with Jules and in part with Eboue. Since Michael left, it's been a bit of a mess from a writing standpoint, they just seem to move along randomly with situations and characters. Andy is really dreadful, I didn't mind him at first when he was introduced (season 2 or 3?) but over the last couple of seasons he's just turned out to be incredibly dull and, as Jules pointed out, a huge arsehole in this season. Basically he was ok when he was in the supporting cast, giving him a bigger role was a mistake, they should've gone out and found an established actor to fill Carrell's boots. I know that to a certain point, that's what Robert California was meant to do, but the fact that he didn't give a shit about the company deep down and just vaguely hovered around being weird (and I liked his character, he's the one who gave me the most laughs in the previous season!) just meant he wasn't quite Michael's replacement.

In any case, I take less and less pleasure watching it (there's the occasional funny episode), I'm glad it'll finish now. It'll finish being pretty bad, especially compared to the heights it once reached, but not quite as bad as something like HIMYM I think.

Brophs

The One and Only
I said this a few years ago, but I'll say it again: the show is now being made solely for the enjoyment of the people involved. They're giving more screen time to the supporting characters for one reason, as far as I can see: half of them are filming something else and can only do a certain amount of episodes. This season has been mental.

Andy: The boring love story with Erin has been scaled back a few notches. Disappeared for no apparent reason. He's probably filming another Hangover movie.

Dwight: One of the funniest aspects of the show and he's being sidelined. The best parts are where he and Jim play off each other.

Jamela: Have become ridiculously boring. No real storylines to speak of, or at least none that were explained to anyone outside of the writers' room. Jim just decided to feck off randomly halfway through the season. Filming elsewhere, no doubt. Also involved in a gratuitous sporting cameo.

Stanley, Phyllis, Meredith & Creed: More screen time, but they haven't had a storyline between them.

Angela & Oscar: Gay husband. Slapstick revenge scenes. Righto...

Toby Barely appears. He's a writer so I'm guessing he's doing something else on the side.

Darryl: They seemed to be going somewhere with him chasing after Val. Then they decided to end that for no apparent reason. Waste of a bunch of episodes.

Erin: Much like Andy. She seems to get a lot of storylines, yet they don't really go anywhere. This romance with intern guy will go nowhere. Eventually.

Catherine Tate: Has gone from being a main character to basically being an extra. Good.

Nerdy intern guy: Was shit, got shitter and then was sold into Jan's sex slavery (what the absolute feck?), despite looking like a half-eaten Welsh rarebit.

David Wallace: Took over the company. Barely mentioned again.

It's as if they've more or less lost interest in the show and are seeing out their time. So odd. I know it's a comedy show, but feck me they're pushing it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Gave up watching this part way through S8, I couldn't stand it any more it was terrible.

The other day the missus suggested getting the rest of S8 to see it out, so we watched the episode where Jim and Dwight helped Catherine Tate move into her new home. Absolute unmitigated shite, will not be watching any more.

Cina

Darryl: They seemed to be going somewhere with him chasing after Val. Then they decided to end that for no apparent reason. Waste of a bunch of episodes.
You're spot on for the most part, but earlier in the season there was a party that Daryl brought Val to I believe, and it was pretty apparent that they were together.

Eboue

Another shitty episode. The Dwight and Dwight Jr storyline was awkwardly unfunny (and not in the good way). What kind of startup is Jim's company either? Where do they get the money for all that? And finally, Erin's complete inability to understand normal words and use even a tiny bit of common sense is perfectly encapsulated in her overreacted to the pen bit.

Brophs

The One and Only
Pretty poor episode, but the unusual thing was that they broke the fourth wall and showed the camera crew filming the 'documentary'. Was that a one off to show the seriousness of the moment, or are they, after nine years, going to explain the camera crew and why they're filming?

Castia

It's set up the last episodes of the series quite well. Jenna Fischer (Pam) said on Twitter last night before the episode aired that ''tonight changes everything''..wouldn't be surprised if she started having an affair with the guy she spoke with from the crew last night. Either way it's pretty clear that she's going to split up with Jim they have been hinting at it all season.

FlawlessThaw

I can't see Jim and Pam splitting up permanently, it would be pretty stupid.

I did read somewhere that they were going to include the crew more as the series comes to a close so it's definitely not a one-off.

kps88

I liked the stable happiness of Jim and Pam. Makes no sense to start messing with it so close to the end. I missed a couple of episodes earlier, what's happened to Andy? I guess Ed Helms is busy.