Music The official punk/post-punk/new wave thread

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Get onto Fat Wreck Chords - loads of great bands signed to that label

They have released loads of compliations and most of the bands featured are excellent.

Try Wrecktrospective - it's a 3 disc 20 year special that will open you up to a whole new world of punk.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think Fat Wreck lost their way a bit in recent times. They were so consistent in the 90's, and were the pinnacle of skate-punk. They've been involved with some stinkers in the past few years.

That said, they've also just released the new Flatliners record, which is totally boss. I'm looking forward to hearing the Tony Sly tribute too. No Use were one of my favourites when I was at school.

Anyone going to see one of the screenings for the Descendents/ALL documentary, Filmage? My nearest one is over a 100 miles away, annoyingly. I really wish they'd hurry up and make it available to buy. I've been itching to see it for years.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Just your music taste. It reminds me of all my old mates. X were not so well known. There was a small group of people in places like Legends and DeVilles that liked them. A few mates from Partington and Sale.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I'd forgotten all about X, their singer always reminded me of a cross between Poly Styrene of X Ray Spex and Hazel O Connor from "Breaking Glass"

Loved the version of Soul Kitchen on that album but like a lot of American Punk I always found them a bit too polished after the shambolic punk I'd grown up with. I could accept it with the likes of the Dead Kennedys where Jello's writing and demented singing provided the necessary discord to East Bay Ray's fantastically polished 12 string guitar work but I could never really be bothered with bands like X that just sounded like accomplished musicians covering the original punk bands.

Loved the Chameleons from page 1 of the thread, still got Script From The Bridge and Strange Times on rotation on my mp3 player, always thought of them more as a goth band than punk or post punk though.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I found Exene's voice really annoying and so out of tune. I always preferred the songs where she wasn't so active. She became an actress I think. I remember seeing a Twilight Zone episode with her in it. Maybe Lee Ving from Fear as well.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Just your music taste. It reminds me of all my old mates. X were not so well known. There was a small group of people in places like Legends and DeVilles that liked them. A few mates from Partington and Sale.
Ah right. I was a bit too young (or a bit too not born :p) to have been going to clubs around that time, which is a bit of a shame since that's the kind of era I prefer music from.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
She was a bag. Changed to heavy metal and said she had finally found real music.

Bury Red

She was a bag. Changed to heavy metal and said she had finally found real music.
:lol: Ligotage and music in the same sentence, she later resurfaced doing some very '80s crap Transvision Vampy type pop stuff as well.

Another couple of early 80s punk / new wave bands that were short lived but fantastic:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Saw those bands many times. Futurama etc. I seem to remember Ligotage playing there. Wayne County as well, but she / he got bottled off.
These were headlining.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I remember about 1980 a lot of punk clubs and gigs started playing reggae. Hated that shit. It's boring and puts me to sleep.
I went to a UK Subs gig at the old Russel club in Hulme and these guys came out. There was a huge groan of disappointed until they actually started playing. The place exploded with tables and chairs flying. One of the best bands I've ever seen.

Dante

Average bang
Olly. Did you use to go to nightclubs in Manchester?
I've got mates who are into the current punk scene in Manchester so I'm always getting dragged along to gigs. My favourite was when I went to A Page Of Punk with them last year. Things got rowdy, to say the least. I was covered in bruises the next day.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Feckin' love these guys. I must have seen them about 70 times. I did a few tours back in the day. Also UK Decay, Southern Death Cult, Play Dead, Birthday party and many more.

Bury Red

For some reason A Page of Punk remind me of Snuff. Never quite a comedy punk band but not taking it as seriously as most of the dour faced politicos around them.

But a remarkably good band when they weren't dicking around

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
For some reason A Page of Punk remind me of Snuff. Never quite a comedy punk band but not taking it as seriously as most of the dour faced politicos around them.

But a remarkably good band when they weren't dicking around
Snuff are a great band. Lots of dicking around, but Dunc is a fantastic songwriter in everything he's done. Pretty much everything he's been involved in has just been an extension of Snuff. The self titled Guns n's Wankers album is the best Snuff related record, IMO. The Dogpiss LP is fun too.

My favourite Snuff song:

I get the Snuff vibe in Page of Punk too. There's loads of Japanese punk rock bands who sound like they are just Snuff/Leatherface worship bands, which isn't a bad thing. I Excuse are total Snuff/Leatherface copyists. They totally shred, if you can get past the very-Eric Cartman vocals!

Minority Blues Band do a similar thing. Poppy as feck.

Lovemen are great also.

J-Punk is badass.

Last edited:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I mellowed for a while in the late 80s early 90s

Some other stuff I like.