The online civil war in our fanbase

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
OP really has zero self awareness huh
Hahaha of the all the posters to start this thread. The thing is he does have a point, I don’t full agree with it but he has a point.

Main reason for the “civil war” is we tell everyone we are a big club. We spent a lot. We don’t win anything. Deliver a league or a CL and most the idiots will shut up about player x or y or Ole. People just need convenient scapegoats for their frustration in the meantime.

I like and always stand up for all our players who work hardest on the pitch. I can take or leave Martial Pogba and the Rashford of last season for that reason. That’s it.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’ve noticed this for a while but the euros seemed to amplify it. There seems to be 2 sides who all love/hate the same players

Bruno FC / Ole In
Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay

Pogba FC / Ole out
Pogba, Martial, Fred, van de Beek, Bailly

has anyone else noticed this? Twitter is infested with it. I literally saw “United fans” wishing the worst for players like Bruno & Maguire at the euros, of course with the obligatory Pogba profile pic. What’s weird to me is they all parrot the exact same opinions as each other, particularly the Pogba side, they all hate Rashford & Bruno, they all think Maguire is a fridge & Shaw is fat, Bailly & Telles are better etc. If someone reps Pogba you can guarantee they love Martial and think Rashford/Bruno are shit. The other side are slightly less toxic but still unbearable, particularly with scrutinising every move Paul Pogba makes & making deluded claims about McTominay’s ceiling.
As a fan of Pogba, I’ll give some feedback of my own in regards to your OP.

I’m a massive fan of Rashford, albeit he had a poor season performance wise in my opinion….hasn’t changed my overall feeling of just being a massive fan of his as a footballer, as a man, and of his potential. I’m a fan of Bruno, I think he’s our most important player currently but that could change with Sancho coming in who is more of a team player, I also see massive contradictions with the way he is critiqued to others.
I rate Maguire massively Based on our end of last season it could be argued he is actually our most important player, I think Shaw has been our best player for 2 of the last three seasons and was a revelation at the euros. Massive fan of his.
McT is bang bang average, he gets away with criticism for letting players run off him constantly, for being the reason other teams walk through our midfield because he’s so very limited that expectation is low.
From the players you’ve listed I should love…..Martial is an exceptional talent who was our best player the season before last, could link brilliantly with Sancho but equally could piss his career down the drain. Fred….see McT although he’s better than McT in many regards he isn’t a great player. VDB hard to say, hasn’t impressed me though yet. Bailly I’ve given up on. Had high hopes but the way we fell to pieces with Maguire injured last season has finished the debate for me.

I think they are interesting observations you make but it’s really more personal opinion than lumping everyone together….which of course is where Pogba HATERS;) really tend to go wrong since they can’t see past their own agenda.

KennyBurner

I’ve noticed this for a while but the euros seemed to amplify it. There seems to be 2 sides who all love/hate the same players

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

has anyone else noticed this? Twitter is infested with it. I literally saw “United fans” wishing the worst for players like Bruno & Maguire at the euros, of course with the obligatory Pogba profile pic. What’s weird to me is they all parrot the exact same opinions as each other, particularly the Pogba side, they all hate Rashford & Bruno, they all think Maguire is a fridge & Shaw is fat, Bailly & Telles are better etc. If someone reps Pogba you can guarantee they love Martial and think Rashford/Bruno are shit. The other side are slightly less toxic but still unbearable, particularly with scrutinising every move Paul Pogba makes & making deluded claims about McTominay’s ceiling.
Im Pogba FC for sure but thats just because of the huge gap in technique. Only way we get back to the Top is through quality players and as you can tell from the list Pogba Fc is so far ahead of Bruno Fc. Then again football is much more than quality, you also need determination and great mentality. Also substitute VDB for Shaw so. Banter at the end of the day

RUCK4444

Shaw in the Ole in group is a bit of a funny call?

Pretty sure he was last summer's liability to Ole's title winning grand plan and the first 10 pages of his thread are people relieved that Telles will feck him out of the team?
Yup. I called it that Telles would be nowhere near Shaws level.

People were saying we would see the benefit of having an ‘actual attacking’ FB

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Redissue are abusing those who redecorated the Rashford mural.
They are also pushing the story that Erikson's heart attack was the result of his covid vaccination. In fact they have a weird anti vax and anti lockdown vibe.

Woodzy

Nonsense. People have preferences to certain players but it's definitely not a 'one or the other' sort of situation.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It appears you are trying to unite the entire forum against you. That's something I suppose.

AFC NimbleThumb

I rate Pogba & have fond memories of Martial when he first came but you’re taking the piss with them groups of players.

It’s capable for people to like players in both groups you’ve listed & more outside of it.

‘United fans wishing the worst for Bruno & Maguire with a Pogba profile pic’ :rolleyes:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not sure the players on the teams are quite correct, but there's definitely factions of

Ole in / Out

Pogba in / Out

Bruno is bad and Pogba is good

Maguire is a rubbish fridge slabhead + we over paid

Mourinho lovers.

Fred haters

Haven't seen much hate for Shaw lately.

AgentSmith

This is like when Tony Blair became the peace envoy for the Middle East.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I mean, there probably is some truth in the notion of ‘camps’, so to speak, although it isn’t perhaps as rigid as described. I, personally, have representation in both of these groups, for example (and of course, ‘hate’ none of them).

Regarding the players, I think there is some disparity in terms of a perceived appreciation of ‘talent’ and ‘effort’, which always tends to draw certain players into two extremes of groups. But that tends to be in terms of who people rate. I’ve heard not rating Bruno or Maguire as highly as others. I think the other group is where genuine ‘dislike’ seems to live - Pogba and Martial are the only players I get the impression that a number of fans genuinely don’t like. Perhaps that is due to their perception on ‘effort’, and their interpretation that these players don’t show enough of it for their liking.

hobbers

I think the club will be better off in the long run without Martial and Pogba. Maguire Shaw and Bruno are the most important players in the squad. And we're going to need a better manager if we ever want to win anything.

Surely these are all the majority opinions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Bruno FC / Ole In

Pogba FC / Ole out

I like both Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford and Martial. I rate Maguire too but maybe not as highly as some others. Shaw is brillaint. VDB is wank. Mctominay and squad should be squad players. And Bailey is unreliable. Finally, I don't think Ole is the man to take us to our goals.

I have no idea where I fall based on the above.

FatTails

I am firmly in the Ole Meh camp. He’s doing a job while here, and is a club legend, but can be improved on.

Idxomer

What I noticed as I never go to Twitter is a lot of the English and Irish fans here hate Pogba. A big section of them also supports Ole which is weird considering Ole himself seems to be a big Pogba fan. You also have the residual Mourinho fanboys from his era who hate Pogba, Martial, and Shaw but can't show their hate for Shaw lately so they focus all their negativity on Pogba and Martial.

@Skills is right btw about Shaw, he was disliked by most people here till last year, the Telles thread was a hilarious read last summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I like both Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford and Martial. I rate Maguire too but maybe not as highly as some others. Shaw is brillaint. VDB is wank. Mctominay and squad should be squad players. And Bailey is unreliable. Finally, I don't think Ole is the man to take us to our goals.

I have no idea where I fall based on the above.
Like the vast majority of fans, you are not in a box or a camp, you just have opinions and feelings. I mainly share your views outside of maybe swapping Maguire and Martial and also I don't think that VDB is wank.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I have a feeling my name will come up at some point here regarding Mr Pogba. However I will always stand by what I say about him. He's definitely a real natural talent and anyone who says he isn't is wrong....However I just want to see him perform consistently in a red shirt which I don't believe he has done or ever will do no matter what we do. I also want all the off the field circus and flirting with other clubs to go away too.

I don't dislike the bloke. I don't dislike any player who puts our shirt on. I want Manchester United to be successful whoever is the coach and whoever is in the team and will always cheer them on and I'm sure everyone else does too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ever since SAF retired some kind of civil war emerged and became almost tradition. Woodward and the board appointing controversial managers like Louie and Jose helped the divide in opinions even more. To be honest Ole at least trying to unite big portion of supporters.

I reckon next season will put David de Gea on the spotlight of infighting even more than previous campaign. Also we're still not sure if Ole's good enough to push United higher in the CL, even despite a promising summer so far.

War is inevitable, that's for sure... or maybe, just maybe we'll have a great season after all.

vodrake

This just seems another stealth thread to complain about the manager and players people don't like...

I’m really not that negative at all I just naturally use the forum to vent & group chats to praise/banter.
That's what everyone does. This thread makes it seem like you're trying to make this conflict into a thing and push people to take sides. Wouldn't it be nice if we just accepted that some people have different opinions and didn't try to make out that the fanbase is divided into 2 groups of enemies, and that if you like pogba you have to hate bruno?

I reckon half of those who take that position aren't really United fans anyway. This type of thread is only useful for polarising the fanbase.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have a feeling my name will come up at some point here regarding Mr Pogba. However I will always stand by what I say about him. He's definitely a real natural talent and anyone who says he isn't is wrong....However I just want to see him perform consistently in a red shirt which I don't believe he has done or ever will do no matter what we do. I also want all the off the field circus and flirting with other clubs to go away too.

I don't dislike the bloke. I don't dislike any player who puts our shirt on. I want Manchester United to be successful whoever is the coach and whoever is in the team and will always cheer them on and I'm sure everyone else does too.
To be fair, Nou Camp - you often come straight to the forum when Pogba is playing well to try to, I dunno, ‘balance’ any praise he receives. It doesn’t seem that you like him very much but you just don’t think he’s consistent, you have forwarded a number of ever-changing arguments for every single situation where others have found it fit to praise him. From your post, you would think that if it were all performance based, you would at least praise sometimes after one of his (five) good performances, and then criticise other times, naturally following a poor performance. It seems to be all one setting though, which makes it appear personal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What I noticed as I never go to Twitter is a lot of the English and Irish fans here hate Pogba. A big section of them also supports Ole which is weird considering Ole himself seems to be a big Pogba fan. You also have the residual Mourinho fanboys from his era who hate Pogba, Martial, and Shaw but can't show their hate for Shaw lately so they focus all their negativity on Pogba and Martial.

@Skills is right btw about Shaw, he was disliked by most people here till last year, the Telles thread was a hilarious read last summer.
Telles is even respectable, many were saying Brandon Williams was better than him!

Siorac

I like and always stand up for all our players who work hardest on the pitch.
See, I used to be like that, too but as I'm getting older, it's changing for me. These days technical mistakes, miscontrols, poor touches, misplaced passes annoy me far more than perceived lack of effort. 'Working hard' is several levels below technical excellence in my list of priorities for a footballer. I massively prefer Pogba and Martial to McTominay and James.

I'm not sure why this has changed for me. I blame Tévez, the shift probably started with him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
To be fair, Nou Camp - you often come straight to the forum when Pogba is playing well to try to, I dunno, ‘balance’ any praise he receives. It doesn’t seem that you like him very much but you just don’t think he’s consistent, you have forwarded a number of ever-changing arguments for every single situation where others have found it fit to praise him. From your post, you would think that if it were all performance based, you would at least praise sometimes after one of his (five) good performances, and then criticise other times, naturally following a poor performance. It seems to be all one setting though, which makes it appear personal.
Maybe you're right.

However I put that down to the constant stuff from his brother and agent about him wanting to leave etc. I'm not sure how all you lot put up with it tbh. I think it's really disrespectful. Let's not forget one of these media frenzies was pulled out on the eve of our CL showdown with Leipzig. The most ridiculous thing about that was we still had people on here defending them for it saying they don't blame him.

He's a good player with bags of ability but he has more baggage than Manchester Airport. I think if he didn't have that scumbag of an agent things might have been different.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Definitely. So it boggles my mind that anyone would a) voluntarily immerse themselves in that shite then b) think it’s an important culture war that needs to be discussed.
It's a form of self-harm, in my estimation. Doesn't make sense otherwise.